Diablo® III

Monk, [Tempest Rush] rubber band effect bug

(Locked)

This is a annoy bug, since Tempest Rush is a great skill to get out of bad situation, the rubber band effect of this skill just completely defeated its purpose.

I am not the only one and not the first one to report this bug, but I still don't see it getting fixed, that's why I am trying to write a more detailed description of the problem, hopefully it can be more helpful to Blizzard programmers to fix this bug.

The rubber band effect of the Tempest Rush skill basically means the players with Monk character using this skill sometimes behave in a rubber band like motion. Upon using this skill to quickly displace the character from location A to location B, although initially the graphic shows that the character has moved to location B, but at the next moment players will sometimes experience incident where the character gets moved back to location A again. This indicates that although on players' side, their computers using the Tempest Rush skill was successfully registered and executed, but on the Blizzard server end it was not register and executed, hence, players using the skill experience character been pulled back to where the character was, instead of be at the location where players had intended to go to using Tempest Rush. This is an intermittent problem, it does not happen all the time, but 1 out of 10 times, it will happen, and usually it causes an instant death of the character. This happens most often when the character is surrounded by monsters, which is the worst case scenario it should happen, this information should be help to the investigation of the problem.

Latency issue does not seem to be the cause of this problem, because all other skills worked fine while this skill sometimes didn't. Plus, everyone is experience the same problem, and not every player has bad internet connection, some of them have very stable connection.

I hope Blizzard Diablo III team can look into this and have the problem solved ASAP, many players are not using this skill anymore due to this bug, and it's not helpful at all if Blizzard's original intent was to have players diversify their skill build, this problem will only arrow players' option.
Edited by Larian1983#1475 on 6/4/2012 3:57 AM PDT
100 Human Death Knight
I would like to add that I have the exact same issue on my monk using tempest rush. 9/10 times it works fine, but the times it doesn't is usually the worst times, and death follows very shortly thereafter.

If it helps, I do have the run that increases movement speed by 25% when tempest rush is activated.
This rubber band effect is lag issues of one kind or another, its because it doesnt actually see you moving from your last spot so it resets with you and places you where it sees you, this can happen in many situations, like when running from mobs sometimes you will be drawn back into them and I have also had this happen in a permanent loop on the set of stairs where maghda tells them to delay you, everyone else in the game saw me simply standing there, but I saw myself move from the spot and then "rubber band" back to where I was, the only way out of it was to move the opposite direction. I assume you either had hit some terrible latency issue at the time this happened OR you were doing it near some objects or questionable terrain and it couldnt quite place you.
06/03/2012 01:13 PMPosted by Neverdweller
This rubber band effect is lag issues of one kind or another, its because it doesnt actually see you moving from your last spot so it resets with you and places you where it sees you, this can happen in many situations, like when running from mobs sometimes you will be drawn back into them and I have also had this happen in a permanent loop on the set of stairs where maghda tells them to delay you, everyone else in the game saw me simply standing there, but I saw myself move from the spot and then "rubber band" back to where I was, the only way out of it was to move the opposite direction. I assume you either had hit some terrible latency issue at the time this happened OR you were doing it near some objects or questionable terrain and it couldnt quite place you.

I think you either didn't read exactly what I wrote, or you don't play a monk or you don't use Tempest Rush skills. The example you gave is not the same issue, because the frequency of the problem. Tempest Rush rubber band effect happens 10% of the time or more, and as more mobs is surrounding the character, the higher the chance it happens. I said it's not a latency issue, because I did research on it, and all Monk players have the same problem. I know you are just one of those people who think it's all my problem, but it's not. 10% of the time is too much, and I have someone to back me up, you may have internet connection problem and experience rubber band while walking, but many of us don't. I never have rubber band effect while I just walk around. So don't sound like you know everything, because you do not.
Edited by Larian1983#1475 on 6/4/2012 3:55 AM PDT
I've had the same problem with Tempest Rush, with and without the speed rune. I've noticed the rubber-banding under other conditions, as well, such as when attempting to move through effectively-unpassable tar pits in Desolate Sands, and when hugging various unpathable level set-pieces.
Same problem here and definitely has nothing to do with lag as you don't get back the spirit you used when you activated tempest rush.
I just lost a 60 hc monk due to this issue. Please let me know if a blue has responded to this bug. I'll play this game again once its fixed.
I'm having the same problem on my monk, but more along the lines of 3 or 4 out of 5 times. I only use tempest rush when I'm surrounded as a defensive move with slipstream. I don't have any latency issues. Mostly just writing to say I'm experiencing this as well.
Tempest Rush's suicide ability works every time! RIP HC Monks.
90 Dwarf Paladin
I would like to chime in with the fact that my monk has had dozens of Tempest Rush rubber-band deaths. It is quite assuredly not related to latency, as every other action can register immediately with the server - but when I'm trying to get away from a Desecration under my feet, I have a 50% chance of continuing to lose health and immediately dying following a Tempest Rush.

I use the Slipstream glyph for reduced damage, and I have been having this problem consistently since I started running Inferno.
Same here, I almost smashed the keyboard today after dying again because of the bug. The most frustrating thing is that Tempest Rush is the only skill that let's you effectively avoid plague/desecrated and other stationary dot attacks or being surrounded. There's no real alternative for a monk.

Oh, and another great thing - now, since patch 1.0.3, you have to spend 5x as much gold on repairs for deaths that weren't even your fault.
I have experienced this issue repeatedly and so has one of my friends. We both play HC and my monk is lvl 60 currently so as you can imagine this would be a beneficial fix to deal with various circumstances in inferno. For now my best short term solution seems to be using quicksilver/dashing strike. The distance is far inferior, but at minimum you can get out of some nasty surrounds and situations. I am unsure if the issue has been resolved, but I am reluctant to experiment with it until a solution has been confirmed. Just wanted to chime in that I would say at least 1 out of 10 times it would also rubber band in my situation. When one mistake can mean the difference between survival and getting wrecked, I would appreciate it as an HC monk especially to see that this error gets plugged as soon as possible.

Thanks! (I stopped using this about 2-3 days ago, so maybe it has fixed by now and I have not been able to experienced it solved myself.)
Kinda glad to see more people having this problem (thought playing from aus was the cause).
It's rather annoying to rubber band back into certain death (really feel sorry for the hardcore players). Losing all my spirit in the process feels like being kicked while I'm down, but oh wells

I'm was also using the speed increase rune

more of a 50/50 chance to rubber band for me
96 Draenei Paladin
I've had this problem with Tempest Rush before, i've since stopped using it in favor of a more tanky build with less moving due to the "rubberbanding", after all what good is an escape ability that drops you right back where you were trying to escape from?

My post on rubberbanding issues:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5890100665#3

If i were to hazard a guess, i would say that there is something wrong in the collision detection engine for enemy movement, they seem to have free reign where they choose to move, but you are still restricted in moving based upon where they stand. This causes a conflict where when you try to move, you are stuck inside of a mob, or at least where the server thinks there's a mob, but your client disagrees. This causes you to rubberband as the server/client sync corrects the perceived problem.

I've had multiple instances of enemies walking all over me, rares and champs with the Molten Affix is the most prevalent of this behavior, followed by Fire Chains, and then when I go to move away from the place of death, i often snap back to my quick demise, it's obnoxious and has been happening more frequently, and with a longer pause between moving and banding back the latter to which i attribute to lag, based on the MS spiking to over 600ms probably due to the midwest storms today.

If i were blizzard, i'd get a proxy server in the major play regions of the world, and just bounce a connection through that to test the latency problem.

Edit: other thoughts on the 'collision code / engine' possibility, enemy particles seem to be hitting in a larger area than their graphics suggest they should be hitting at. The 'bug bullets' from the stingers in Act II seem to hit in an area 2-3 times larger than the bullets, the Lightning particles from any Electrified Affix enemy can hit from a good distance away, so large that if the enemy is standing immediately next to you, you can get hit by all 4 of their shocks at once, i recall smaller enemies being good at doing that (Fallen and the like)
Edited by Nenluen#1899 on 6/28/2012 7:12 PM PDT
this is still not on the known issues thread and it has really been pissing me off since i got to inferno
Having the same issue (Tempest Rush with Slipstream rune). Sadly it seems to mostly happen when fighting champ packs. I had the thought this issue could also be linked to desecrater ground taking a few seconds to recognize you're standing on or off it.
fully support you. I am forced to change Tempest Rush to Dashing Strike long time ago. This issue has been highlighted many times by many players. S Blizzard just sit on it and do nothing
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]