Diablo® III

Cycling/spiking Frame Rate After Patch

(Locked)

I have a mac book 2009 9400m with only 2 GB memory. I can play for about 20 minutes before my FPS starts to Stutter, meaning it fluctuates between normal 25 FPS and like 10-15 FPS. I got the FREE MEMORY APP and it shows that when I start the game I have around 600 MB Free and when i play in window mode I see that in certain locations the memory slowly drops until its in the red at like 20 MB free, and this is when the stuttering starts. When I use the free memory app and I get back up to 500 MB free and I can continue playing with NO stuttering for about 30 more minutes. This is a quick fix and over all better then restarting the game every time. Hope this helps!
85 Blood Elf Paladin
Personally, my FPS is NOT better when I first log on. Sometimes I feel like the first 20 minutes are horrible and it gets slightly less horrible after a while, but that could just be in my head. No matter what, the fps continues to go crazy during fights, and to make me walk in slow motion and then really fast and then in slow motion again.
I have the cycling issue every now and then, here's an odd fix that worked for me.

switch to lowest situation and turn off FPS caps.
switch back to desired resolution and turn on FPS caps.

i dont know why, but this works. everything else is at lowest settings. i run at the lowest widescreen resolution.
The best way to limit the heat is to set a very conservative max FPS limit (if you can get over 30fps, set it to 25 fps or less). This allows the GPU to cool down between frames. When the graphics get really busy during a fight, it will heat up, but it will take a moment before it will overheat. As I mentioned in another thread, it feels strange that the graphics processor is running at full capacity even when you are just browsing the auction house.
Hardware Overview:

Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro6,2
Processor Name: Intel Core i5
Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 2
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 3 MB
Memory: 8 GB
Processor Interconnect Speed: 4.8 GT/s
Boot ROM Version: MBP61.0057.B0F
SMC Version (system): 1.58f16
Serial Number (system): 730383UXAGU
Hardware UUID: 677D2961-CC53-5D27-A71C-F935E48129E8
Sudden Motion Sensor:
State: Enabled

ntel HD Graphics:

Chipset Model: Intel HD Graphics
Type: GPU
Bus: Built-In
VRAM (Total): 288 MB
Vendor: Intel (0x8086)
Device ID: 0x0046
Revision ID: 0x0018
gMux Version: 1.9.21
Displays:
Color LCD:
Resolution: 1440 x 900
Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)
Main Display: Yes
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes
Built-In: Yes

NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M:

Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M
Bus: PCIe
PCIe Lane Width: x16
VRAM (Total): 256 MB
Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)
Device ID: 0x0a29
Revision ID: 0x00a2
ROM Revision: 3560
gMux Version: 1.9.21

System Version: Mac OS X 10.7.4 (11E53)
Kernel Version: Darwin 11.4.0
Boot Volume: sDrive
Boot Mode: Normal
Secure Virtual Memory: Enabled
64-bit Kernel and Extensions: Yes
Time since boot: 7 minutes

I've attempted all the troubleshooting. None have helped better the performance to pre-patch levels. I can play any other game perfectly fine besides this one. I hope to see a resolution soon, quite a ridiculous patch.

Edit:

I'd like to mention that pre-patch, I was able to run this game at high settings. As of now, 3-5 minutes in to gameplay and brings everything to a crawl. I can play SC2 on high settings but not D3? This HAS to be patch issues.
Edited by SANTI3HG#1742 on 6/9/2012 8:21 PM PDT
Same issue here with the 9400m

used to work as an AppleCare Advisor, so i have done all the basic Troubleshooting to solve it if it was cause by my computer

reboot
SMC/PRAM reset
New user
Shut down all programs, including background programs
format the computer to brand new (Including new HD)

also removed the Cache folder & the agent.db file and launched Blizzard launcher

this actually seemed to have helped alot for 5-8 mins, but then back again

still no success

i have alså tried running bootcamp and win XP, but my computer gets too hot and shuts down

Running early 2009 Macbook White

Intel Core 2 Duo P7350 2.0GHz CPU with 25 Watt TDP
NVIDIA GeForce 9400M IGP with shared memory
160GB SATA Hard Drive (5400 RPM)
2GB 667MHz DDR2 System Memory (dual channel mode)
OS X 10.6.8

everything running on lowest specs, but acts as described in first post :(
Edited by Malene#2592 on 6/10/2012 2:36 AM PDT
06/09/2012 04:53 PMPosted by Tiga
The best way to limit the heat is to set a very conservative max FPS limit (if you can get over 30fps, set it to 25 fps or less). This allows the GPU to cool down between frames. When the graphics get really busy during a fight, it will heat up, but it will take a moment before it will overheat. As I mentioned in another thread, it feels strange that the graphics processor is running at full capacity even when you are just browsing the auction house.
Bump
06/09/2012 04:53 PMPosted by Tiga

That's the thing, though. I shut my laptop off when I go to bed. For example, the other night I played through some good wholesome cycling and shut it down. When I turned it on the next day and ran D3, the problem started immediately. I would say no more than a minute had passed between my turning on the laptop and zoning into the game world (I was in New Tristram at the time). During the few periods where cycling isn't actually occuring, SMC shows temps @ 77-82 degrees Celsius.....which are the same temps I see when it is cycling. So I'm not sure that heat is the problem....at least not in my case :/
Since the last patch, I am experiencing HUGE lag spikes. Prior to the patch, the game was running flawlessly.

I have followed Blizzard's recommended steps (close all apps, clear PRAM, etc.) with no results.

I am using an early 2012 2.2GHz MacBook Pro, 4GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6750M 512 MB.
Seems as though there are plenty of people with the same (or very similar) issue here and can reliably trace it back to the latest patch.

Here's to hoping Blizzard comes out with a fix in short order! I don't know about everyone else, but I don't like having paid $60 for a game I can't enjoy playing anymore after only a few weeks. Money doesn't grow on trees for me and I like to get the absolute most I can out of my games.
Same here, I've got constant slow-downs and speedups as the framerate drops and then spikes back up. Before the patch I was running at a consistent 45-50 fps (which was awesome) with everything set on High, AA on, etc. Now I run at 60+ fps, but the game is almost unplayable because I really run at a range of 5-60 fps depending on what's happening on screen.

Model Identifier: MacBookPro8,2
Processor Name: Intel Core i7
Processor Speed: 2.2 GHz
Total Number of Cores: 4
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 6 MB
Boot ROM Version: MBP81.0047.B27
SMC Version (system): 1.69f3

AMD Radeon HD 6750M:

Chipset Model: AMD Radeon HD 6750M
PCIe Lane Width: x8
VRAM (Total): 1024 MB
Vendor: ATI (0x1002)
Device ID: 0x6741
Revision ID: 0x0000
ROM Revision: 113-C0170L-573
gMux Version: 1.9.23
EFI Driver Version: 01.00.573
Displays:
Color LCD:
Resolution: 1440 x 900

Boot Volume: Macintosh HD
Time since boot: 12:12

Over the last few days I've tried rebooting, shutting down, resetting PRAM and SMC. I've tried all the troubleshooting tips that Blizzard gives out, and nothing helps.
I seem to have this problem when I return to New Tristram - outside of town I'm fine, but as soon as I go back I get really bad fps cycling...

Running all settings as low as possible and getting around 30fps on a good day

Model Name: MacBook
Model Identifier: MacBook5,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 3 MB
Memory: 2 GB
Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz
Support Forum Agent
Hey guys and gals,

Just wanted to provide an update. As mentioned before, the team has recreated this issue and is working on addressing this issue in an upcoming patch. When I get more details about this, I'll post more.

If you are experiencing this issue, try limiting your FPS. I personally experienced this (my FPS was 40 but kept dipping to 15 ish FPS) but was able to do a temp work around by adjusting my resolution to match the OS, but kept shadows off and limited my FPS to 23. I don't know why 23 works better than other numbers but this worked out well for my 320M mac mini. The FPS stays constant at 23. I noticed when playing at other resolutions, the issue persisted. It may be different for your Mac, but I wanted to pass on my experience.
90 Night Elf Druid
Good to hear you and the team at Blizzard are all over the issue! One quick question. Are you saying run at the Default res setting or the comps res setting? Can wait for the game to be playable again!
Support Forum Agent
I did it at comp res setting. My comp/OS setting is 1600x900, but I believe the game default was like 1024x768 or something like that. After 1.0.2b, I was able to play at my native resolution (1600x900) but had the cycling FPS issue, which I agree is annoying. I didn't want to go back to 1024x768 as the issue still persists, so after some experimentation this was my workaround. It may be different for you, but you may want to try that to see if it helps.
90 Night Elf Druid
When I get time ill try a couple different variations and post my findings :)
Support Forum Agent
06/10/2012 01:34 PMPosted by Snertante
When I get time ill try a couple different variations and post my findings :)

Cool :)
90 Night Elf Druid
Just logged in and tried first at default with max fps to 23, 25 and 30. Then tried at my comps res setting of 1900x1200 and was even worse at 15fps. All three seemed to run at the same unplayable state. I used my Witch Doctor thats at the beginning of Act2. The game seem's to be even more glitchy/spiking than before. Now when i'm just running around I noticed my FPS is all over the map, all the time. Going from the max I had set it down into single digits. A fix for this cannot come soon enough!

Hardware Overview:

Model Identifier: MacBookPro6,1
Processor Name: Intel Core i7
Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache (per core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 4 MB
Memory: 4 GB
Processor Interconnect Speed: 4.8 GT/s
Boot ROM Version: MBP61.0057.B0C
SMC Version (system): 1.57f17

NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M:

Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M
PCIe Lane Width: x16
VRAM (Total): 512 MB
Device ID: 0x0a29
Revision ID: 0x00a2
ROM Revision: 3560
gMux Version: 1.9.22
Displays:
Color LCD:
Resolution: 1920 x 1200
Display Connector:

System Software Overview:

System Version: Mac OS X 10.6.8 (10K549)
Kernel Version: Darwin 10.8.0
64-bit Kernel and Extensions: No
Time since boot: 2:05

Update:

Just noticed that my Automatic Graphics setting was checked. After unchecking it in system pref's I noticed a bit a of a difference. The game still stutters all the time but the spikes are not nearly as bad. Still, when a big mob comes my FPS will drop down to 15 and lower. This is with everything set low, low fx checked and at 1200x800 res. Still not even close to the performance I'd hoped for.
Edited by ElectroSnert#1765 on 6/11/2012 5:44 PM PDT
Seems as though there are plenty of people with the same (or very similar) issue here and can reliably trace it back to the latest patch.

Here's to hoping Blizzard comes out with a fix in short order! I don't know about everyone else, but I don't like having paid $60 for a game I can't enjoy playing anymore after only a few weeks. Money doesn't grow on trees for me and I like to get the absolute most I can out of my games.
Before the patch everything seemed to be working perfectly. Afterwards it seems like everytime I start the game up I experience speed ups and slow downs (making the game unplayable. I'll get anywhere from around 5-30 fps (constantly changing). I have all my settings set to either low or off for the options that have off as an option. No AA or v-sync. Even turned my sound channels from 32 to 16 which helped for about 5 mins then same thing started to happen. Also playing on my native resolution (1280x800) was possible before the patch but now I am not able to play with any of the resolutions as they all have the same problem. I am not sure whether it matters or not but I have the nVidia CUDA driver installed (One of my friends who works for nVidia suggest I install it).

Harware:
Model Identifier: MacBookPro5,5
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.26 GHz
Total Number of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 3 MB
Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz
Boot ROM Version: MBP55.00AC.B03
SMC Version (system): 1.47f2
Sudden Motion Sensor:
State: Enabled

Graphics/Display:
Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce 9400M
Bus: PCI
VRAM (Total): 256 MB
Device ID: 0x0863
Revision ID: 0x00b1
ROM Revision: 3427
Displays:
Color LCD:
Resolution: 1280 x 800

Software:
Time since boot: 2:50
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]