Diablo® III

Cycling/spiking Frame Rate After Patch

(Locked)

Hi Mac Tech Support, 1st of all Im not mac user, but I have fps dropping issue.
I use multiple windows, 2pcs, one is
MSI GX700 Laptop, 8600m gt, T7700, I think this one is same kind of spec as mba or something..
I've been researching several articles about FPS fixes, still I cant find any solutions.
Then I found here and read through.

So I tried to figured it out what causing issues, it still seems like Software issue which is lovely diablo3 unfortunately.
bcuz,
FPS drop happens when Intel Speedstep function is working (on my both PCs and multiOSs).
Any of CPU management (Voltage, FSB, ACPI or etc..) even GPU, it slows diablo3.
I dont know you guys are noticing this issue or not tho, I tested bunch of ways,
then I found was,
I locked CPU-clock and GPU clock and then played D3, It worked pretty stable including with multiple players in ActIV. but of course the issue was I disabled power management function on my laptop so It heated up like crazy 100C.
I heard some of other PC gamez have same issues which is when CPU-clock is changing, it slows down FPS.

well, I hope you guys can fix it, and I'm believing in you guys.
Bcuz I'm loving diablo like 15yrs.
or if I was pointing out totally wrong, just ignore this plz.
Thank you.
Hi,

I have the same problems with fps. I'm playing on my HP Pavilion dv6:
Windows 7 64bit
Radeon 6770m HD
i5
4GB RAM

Everything started 3 days ago, I need to admit that any other games (with much better graphic) are running fine without any problem.

EU server.

Regards,
Greg.
Machkhan's trick worked for me: go native resolution (1440x940 for me) and limit foreground FPS to ~23. Granted I only tried this in relatively-mild Act 1... no more spikes!
Ditto on the Machkhan trick. What I did was change my desktop resolution to 1280x800, and the in-game resolution to match, capping foreground fps @ 25. While I have been only been able to actually play for a couple of hours each day due to work, during this time my fps has remained stable with everything high and shadows turned off, even during Act 2 four player. Elune be praised!
Blizzard Employee
The only way we can reproduce the cycling is if the computer overheats or another application like a web browser is active.

If you cannot hear your fans then your computer probably has a problem.

For the constant stuttering/spikes that some people are describing, we need more information how to reproduce this. We can reproduce it at the moment but it never last and it will stabilize really fast.
My specs are the same but for some reason when I put the resolution to 800x600 it runs even worse than the higher resolutions... any help?
The only way we can reproduce the cycling is if the computer overheats or another application like a web browser is active.

For the constant stuttering/spikes that some people are describing, we need more information how to reproduce this. We can reproduce it at the moment but it never last and it will stabilize really fast.

What's the Memory type in your test bed?
I believe most of the models reporting the issue are using
1066 Mhz DDR 3 and I think with a CAS Latency of 9
So standard stock ram

When I upgraded to
1333 Mhz DDR 3 CAS 9
the impact was minimized

17" Macbook Pro, Intel 2.53ghz Core i5, 4 gigz 1067mhz DDR3, Intel HD & Nvidia GT330m graphics (CUDA Driver Version: 4.2.7, GPU Driver Version: 1.6.36.10 (256.00.35f11)), and OSX 10.6.8, running a 32-bit kernel. I've posted full system specs elsewhere in the thread, I think with my druid Avantgarden as my avatar. I'd post them again, but I feel that this is already gonna be rather longish; for that, I apologize :_(

As I mentioned earlier in the thread, Machkhan's dealy-O of matching the in-game resolution to my comp's resolution seems to have fixed the issue....for the moment, anyways.

I'll detail my experiences here, and try to semi-organize it so that it's clear. Hopefully this stuff will be of use to others, as well as the Mac team.

From Release through pre-1.02b: Initially pretty playable at release @ 1920x1200 (also my desktop res at the time) with everything maxed except Shadows, which were off; the foreground framerate was capped at 150. I was getting framerates somewhere in the ~40 range, plus or minus a few depending on what was going on in game. Perhaps a few days later - generally low framerates and some mild cycling, with occasional spurts of playability. This held true throughout every resolution, every graphics setting, multiple d3prefs, multiple graphics drivers, SMC/PRAM resets, purging inactive memory, force quitting Agent, deleting Cache and Agent.db files, closing all processes except those that are essential, reboots/shutdowns, both 32 and 64-bit kernels, factory restorations.....essentially, everything ^_^ Various programs being opened or closed seemed to have no effect on the game, both during low fps and playable times. At the time, I had no way to monitor temp readings, so nothing to report on that front.

1.02b through Present: I was able to play @ 1920x1200, with the settings I was using upon Release, with fps capped @ 25, for about 2-3 hours....it was glorious <3 After that, however, the insane cycling began, going from 25 fps down to 8-10, back up to 25, etc. Again, with occasional periods of normal playability. Also across various graphical settings. It was at this time that I downloaded the SMC fan control app. Conducting all troubleshooting procedures as I had pre-1.02b yielded no noticeable difference. At various points in the troubleshooting process, monitoring temps along the way, I'd make a note of what changes I had made and the temps that I was seeing with them. The temperature spread was quite small, ranging anywhere from 77 up to 82 degrees Celsius during both the cycling AND the periods of playability, regardless of what other processes were or were not running in the background. It was at this time that I noticed whenever I put D3 in the background, windowed; brought another app to the foreground, waited a few minutes, and then made D3 my active window again it would play fine for a few minutes....only for the problem to return a few minutes later.

Which brings us to the present, and Machkhan's phix. 1280x800 resolution on the desktop, with the in-game res to match, all settings on High, V-sync off, Shadows off, and fps capped @ 25. Framerate holds steady at ~25, regardless of what apps/processes are running in the background. What this means as to the cause of the problem, I have no idea. Temps are still in the 77-82 degrees Celsius range during gameplay. If anything changes, I will be sure to update this post. If y'all have any questions or need more info, please ask.......I have pages of it. I hope this wall of crap is useful to you guys :3

TL;DR: Temps stayed the same regardless of resolution/playability, so I'm not sure heat was an issue, at least not in my case. But while it may not work at every resolution, as I have not tried them (I'm afraid to change anything now X_x), changing both desktop and in-game resolutions to 1280x800 fixed my problem....YMMV. Good luck!
If u think that was computer issues, u guys need to change minimum requirements for diablo3,
Bcuz even u clean up around cpu, or using water cooler on cpu, or Set fan speed to the maximum, those tweaks r doesn't really matter bcuz
Still cpu uses throttle function native.
Only maniacs or professionals can disable this native function or maintain.
And, people who can modify cpu usually know whats going on in the background,
which are Stopping anykind of processes, services, include security softwares, as i alrdy did. Those tweaks are for "normal" users tho.
So this minimum requirements are not appropriate for "normal" pc or mac users bcuz it needs modifications to make diablo3 playable.

The point is, another pc games r dont get this lower FPS issue while cpu is using "throttling function" (which is changing clock for any reasons, any situations).
Speedsteps is native function of intel cpu so 50% of people get this problem at least. I dont know about AMD users. well, thats the also reason why Im posting on Mac support here.
If u blame hardware, plz just change the minimum requirements for diablo3.
Im looking forward to hear something good news from you.
Thank you.
1.02b through Present: I was able to play @ 1920x1200, with the settings I was using upon Release, with fps capped @ 25, for about 2-3 hours....it was glorious <3 After that, however, the insane cycling began, going from 25 fps down to 8-10, back up to 25, etc. Again, with occasional periods of normal playability. Also across various graphical settings. It was at this time that I downloaded the SMC fan control app. Conducting all troubleshooting procedures as I had pre-1.02b yielded no noticeable difference. At various points in the troubleshooting process, monitoring temps along the way, I'd make a note of what changes I had made and the temps that I was seeing with them. The temperature spread was quite small, ranging anywhere from 77 up to 82 degrees Celsius during both the cycling AND the periods of playability, regardless of what other processes were or were not running in the background. It was at this time that I noticed whenever I put D3 in the background, windowed; brought another app to the foreground, waited a few minutes, and then made D3 my active window again it would play fine for a few minutes....only for the problem to return a few minutes later.

What was the exact time of your 2 hour play session?

If you shutdown for an hour and start up with it cold does the problem come back after a 2 hour session or is it still more frequent then that prior session?
Blizzard Employee
JasonPlitt, thanks for your report, what's you're describing is the behavior that we get in overheating conditions. In normal conditions, the computer doesn't overheat in any of our tests. So changing the minimum requirements doesn't make sense.

The temperature is not a good way to know if you're overheating or not since OSX will slow down your computer to keep everything safe. The result is that the temperature won't change that much.

Multiple causes are possible. Your room is too hot(>80F), your fans/vents are dirty, your fans are not functioning correctly, the vents(keyboard and back of the hinge) are blocked.

In our tests, we need to block the vents and play in a rooms at over 80F to get the problem that you're describing. However, I'm guessing that you're not playing under these conditions.
So can you describe the conditions that you're playing in?
Room temperature?
Do you play on a table?
Do you plug in the power adapter?
Are there any other apps running(check Activity Monitor for anything above 5%)?
If the computer is cold, how long does it take to reproduce your problem?
85 Blood Elf Paladin
Could it be a heat issue even if the game is immediately laggy when i log on, after having the computer turned off, and it being cool to the touch?

I am on an early 2008 macbook pro with the 8600mgt card, Lion os, and 2gb ram. playing on the lowest settings possible. At first I had my max fps set to 40, but i have recently tried setting it at 30 and 20 (neither has made a difference)

It's generally 70 degrees in my room, and i play with my laptop propped up against a large book (so that the bottom exposed to the air, and only the very top and bottom are touching a surface)

I close all other apps and am directly plugged into the internet, and using a power adapter as well.
The game is slow from the start, and i have constant stutter and slow motion. As soon as I encounter a group of enemies, my fps will jump down to single digits or even zero, and then back up, and then back down, and so on so that the game is in stop motion.

I guess my whole problem could be having only 2gb ram, but since that's minimum requirements, i'd think it would be slightly more playable. Maybe i'm wrong though.
I have to agreed that this doesn't seem like a heat issue. I have an early 2010 MB Pro, core i5, 8GB ram, dual graphics cards (with the NVidia 330 graphics card).

I tried the Machkhan trick, set my graphics to 1440x900 (same as OS) with the minimal graphics possible other than resolution. The game played very well @ 23 FPS for nearly 15 minutes. Now here's the interesting part:

I was running through Act 1 without any issues. When I got to the part in Act 1 leading to the Skeleton King where the four pillars are activated and the large amount of skeletons are summoned, the refresh rate plummeted down to ~5 FPS and continued to hover between 5 and 10 FPS for the rest of the game. I wish I had a video because the choppiness was instant. The figment of the skeleton king disappeared fluidly, the pillars are activated, they start to summon and BAM - immediate, significant spiking.

It seems to be related to having to render too many things on screen at once (I saw similar behavior when my Witch Doctor buddy summoned dogs/imps during a big fight). The problem doesn't relieve itself after the fight ends however. In the scenario above, I quit the game and the character screen was choppy too (specifically the sand flying behind your character in act 2's character background screen). I then went as far as to quit the game altogether, wait 20 minutes (with no programs running) and trying again. This time upon log-in the behavior is present. What I'm basically seeing is once the spikes happen, nothing short of a full shutdown relieves the problem.

I truly hope this information somehow helps. Prior to the patch I could play the game on the highest graphics settings at 1440 x 900 without any problem whatsoever. Now I need to put the computer to 1024 x 640 (or whatever the 16:10 ratio resolution is just above 800x600... it's escaping me at the moment). I'll try to capture a video of the pillar spikes if it happens to reproduce consistently.
It most certainly isn't a heat issue. I keep my machine cool and monitor the temp, it never runs higher than 72 degrees (usually it's around 65-70) when running D3 and these problems occur right from starting up the game.

I really hope this isn't as far as we've progressed with this issue, or we're all doomed.
I have 9400 and I had some issues with spiking frame rate... What I did to fix it was delete the program "AutoBahn" which was running in the background... if you see in your Activity Monitor such a program, delete it! Here are instructions I found ...
A quick tip for anyone who upgraded to Mac OS 10.7 (Lion) and somehow has “Autobahn” installed. To remove Autobahn (shown as “com.swarmcast.autobahn” in your console log) and stop the constant popups asking you to install a Java runtime:

Click your user name in the sidebar of a Finder window.
Click “Go” in the top menu while, then press “option” on your keyboard to make “Library” visible. Click “Library”. Verify that you are in username/Library and not harddrivename/Library.
Click the “Application Support” folder.
Click the “Swarmcast” folder.
Double-click the uninstall script.
Popups should stop.
To summarize: the offending program is found in

username/Library/Application Support/Swarmcast

There should be an uninstall script in that folder. Run it to uninstall Autobahn.

Also make sure you quit all your browsers before you play... hope that helps for some people :)
Blizzard Employee
OK, there's more than one issue here. One is stuttering, exactly like if the disk was loading stuff.
The other is cycling FPS which will be regular like a heartbeat. We believe the cycling is heat related at least in some cases.
If your stuttering problem started with 1.0.2b and you didn't have any in 1.0.2a then we really want to know if 1.0.3 fixes your issue when it comes out.
OK, there's more than one issue here. One is stuttering, exactly like if the disk was loading stuff.
The other is cycling FPS which will be regular like a heartbeat. We believe the cycling is heat related at least in some cases.
If your stuttering problem started with 1.0.2b and you didn't have any in 1.0.2a then we really want to know if 1.0.3 fixes your issue when it comes out.

I was running between 30-60 fps at mostly low settings in 1.0.2a.

Now in 1.0.2b I had to change my background fps to 30 and most of the stuttering and choppiness is gone, but still poor fps.

Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro5,2
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.8 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 6 MB
Memory: 8 GB
Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz
Boot ROM Version: MBP52.008E.B05
SMC Version (system): 1.42f4
Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce 9400M
Type: GPU
Bus: PCI
VRAM (Total): 256 MB
Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de
Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT
Bus: PCIe
PCIe Lane Width: x16
VRAM (Total): 512 MB

System Version: Mac OS X 10.7.4 (11E53)
Yea... ok... this is just becoming BS! Hey Blizzard... don't you guys friggin OWN one of these type of systems??? I feel like Mac owners are being bent over here. I have a TOP OF THE LINE laptop that WAY exceeds your specifications. Not only isn't it FUN to play with this kind of lag... but I die... lag = death. And I did NOT give you my money for this kind of pain.

I *hope* you are in the dark based on the basic, rudimentary things you are asking us to do... but more effort needs to be put toward fixing this problem.

I also think it would be in really GOOD taste to reward us with SOMETHING when all this is over. We shouldn't have to be going through this.
Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro8,3
Processor Name: Intel Core i7
Processor Speed: 2.3 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 4
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 8 MB
Memory: 8 GB

Chipset Model: AMD Radeon HD 6750M
Bus: PCIe
PCIe Lane Width: x8
VRAM (Total): 1024 MB
Vendor: ATI (0x1002)
Device ID: 0x6741
Revision ID: 0x0000
ROM Revision: 113-C0170L-573
gMux Version: 1.9.24
EFI Driver Version: 01.00.573
Displays:
Color LCD:
Resolution: 1920 x 1200
Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)
Main Display: Yes
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes
Built-In: Yes
I'm witnessing fps spikes as low as 4fps

and I have a 750GB 7,200rpm hybrid hard drive
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]