Diablo® III

Cycling/spiking Frame Rate After Patch

(Locked)

Getting huge spiking in Frame rate and is so hard play on Inferno.

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro5,4
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.53 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 3 MB
Memory: 8 GB
Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz
Boot ROM Version: MBP53.00AC.B03
SMC Version (system): 1.49f2
Hardware UUID: C91F604A-A1C2-534C-89B1-0EF5DD27EEF6
Sudden Motion Sensor:
State: Enabled

NVIDIA GeForce 9400M:

Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce 9400M
Type: GPU
Bus: PCI
VRAM (Total): 256 MB
Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)
Device ID: 0x0863
Revision ID: 0x00b1
ROM Revision: 3448
Displays:
Color LCD:
Resolution: 1440 x 900
Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)
Main Display: Yes
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes
Built-In: Yes

System Software Overview:

System Version: Mac OS X 10.7.4 (11E53)
Kernel Version: Darwin 11.4.0
Boot Volume: Macintosh HD
Boot Mode: Normal
Secure Virtual Memory: Enabled
64-bit Kernel and Extensions: Yes
Time since boot: 10 minutes
Model Name: MacBook
Model Identifier: MacBook7,1
Processor Speed: 2,4 GHz
Memory: 8 GB
Bus Speed: 1,07 GHz
Boot ROM Version: MB71.0039.B0E
SMC Version (system): 1.60f5

Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce 320M

Mac OS X 10.7.4 (11E53)

resolution 1280x800 full screen
all set to high , only shadows off

No enemies 40-50 FPS
Small group of enemies 35-40 FPS
Medium group of enemies 25-35 FPS
large group of enemies 8-15 FPS
Edited by HiddenName#2564 on 6/23/2012 12:33 PM PDT
I have a macbook pro with the 8600 m GT, my framerates have been cycling bad since they did the tools update weeks ago. Now, it is even worse. I currently have it set to limit at 50 fps but it cycles between that and 4 constantly and unpredictable. This happens immediately when I start the game and the computer has just been turned on.
JasonPlitt, thanks for your report, what's you're describing is the behavior that we get in overheating conditions. In normal conditions, the computer doesn't overheat in any of our tests. So changing the minimum requirements doesn't make sense.

The temperature is not a good way to know if you're overheating or not since OSX will slow down your computer to keep everything safe. The result is that the temperature won't change that much.

Multiple causes are possible. Your room is too hot(>80F), your fans/vents are dirty, your fans are not functioning correctly, the vents(keyboard and back of the hinge) are blocked.

In our tests, we need to block the vents and play in a rooms at over 80F to get the problem that you're describing. However, I'm guessing that you're not playing under these conditions.
So can you describe the conditions that you're playing in?
Room temperature?
Do you play on a table?
Do you plug in the power adapter?
Are there any other apps running(check Activity Monitor for anything above 5%)?
If the computer is cold, how long does it take to reproduce your problem?

I play on a flat wooden table with my MagSafe plugged in (I *never* play on battery power), and temperature in my living room is ~70 degrees F. These are the conditions that I normally play in, probably 99% of the time. During a few 5-stack Warden/Butcher runs on my barb that I got done with a few mins ago (no cycling, no framerate taking a dump...I've had ZERO problems since I implemented the Machkhan trick, even during the 2 simultaneous elite packs, including Illusionist and Horde affixes, so a lot of crap on-screen), I would occasionally play in Windowed mode so as to take some peeks @ Activity Monitor. The only process consistently over 5% was D3 itself, pretty much steady @ ~12%. Kernel_task would fluctuate between ~3.2-6.3%. Agent went as high as 4.7, but never touched 5. I did have Safari running in the background also, but both the Safari and Safari Web Content processes never went above 3%. No other processes even came close. But this is the only significant period (Machkhan fix) that I have been able to play since before a few days after release. I don't know why it's working now, but I'm not going to question it. I hope this helps :3

EDIT: I'd also like to add that SMC temps were the same as previously reported; total playtime, including periods of sitting around doing nothing in-game to take longer looks at Activity Monitor, was approximately 2 1/2 hours. I'll be playing for much longer periods of time this weekend, so I'll report back with my findings during those times.
Edited by JasonPlitt#1316 on 6/15/2012 8:07 AM PDT
Model Identifier: MacBookPro5,2
Processor Speed: 3.06 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 6 MB
Memory: 4 GB
Boot ROM Version: MBP52.008E.B05
SMC Version (system): 1.42f4

Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT
Bus: PCIe
PCIe Lane Width: x16
VRAM (Total): 512 MB
Device ID: 0x0647
Revision ID: 0x00a1
ROM Revision: 3436
gMux Version: 1.7.10

System Version: Mac OS X 10.6.8 (10K549)
Kernel Version: Darwin 10.8.0

I think i may be a slight unique case. Using the 9400M for me is completely unplayable. I have insane amounts of lag (Not internet) constantly and it is completely unplayable. The 9600M GT on the other hand works fairly well. EXCEPT under several conditions.

1. When i initially start a game if I see any of the following actions they cause me 5 minutes of lag before they begin to settle. Using a WP, Using a single skill (NOTE: Every Skill I use causes me this lag the first time i use it), seeing a mob, being attacked by a pack, seeing an elite pack use a skill, have someone join my game, anytime someone who has joined my game uses a skill their first time, using my skill at the same time someone uses theirs, breaking objects.

2. The lag for the most part is completely unplayable, it accounts for roughly half my deaths because i can't overcome the lag until I kill a pack. I die twice within the first ten minutes of entering the zone, 90% of the time, because my screen is frozen while my system loads all the information. Everything catches back up and im dead. A great replication place for this is Act III with the WP right before the Catapults you need to destroy. If I have an elite pack their, I HAVE to quit my game and make a new one. The lag will not stop, or slow down enough for me to kill that pack.

3. Wizards and Witch Doctors, absolutely destroy my frame rate. I bounce from 80ish to 20 to 5 anytime Blizzard is cast or Hydra is cast in conjunction with another skill. Witch Doctors casting Big Voodoo with any high particle effect cause me game stopping lag the first time. Again this can warm up and get slightly better if we are able to kill the pack in a timely fashion. If the pack is killed to fast the lag happens again on the next one. To slow and the lag remains for the entire fight.

To be honest it feels like the game isn't loading properly, I have a warm up period were im susceptible to lag from anything being interacted with outside of town for the first 10-15 min I am playing, then I have fairly smooth gameplay minus the occasional dip back down to 5 FPS. Is there a way to force load resources? I am not in possession of a USB drive big enough to move my MPQ's over to speed up my load times, and I really want to play hardcore but I don't want to bother if Im going to die every time i zone.
I have all of my settings on Low/Off. My hardware class is on 1 or 2 (i can see hydra's so the class above that). Tri Linear is disabled. I play on 1280X800 Resolution, but haven't noticed too much of a difference when running others.

What are loading screens for if they don't actually load?
Blizzard Employee
Yea... ok... this is just becoming BS! Hey Blizzard... don't you guys friggin OWN one of these type of systems??? I feel like Mac owners are being bent over here. I have a TOP OF THE LINE laptop that WAY exceeds your specifications. Not only isn't it FUN to play with this kind of lag... but I die... lag = death. And I did NOT give you my money for this kind of pain.

I *hope* you are in the dark based on the basic, rudimentary things you are asking us to do... but more effort needs to be put toward fixing this problem.

I also think it would be in really GOOD taste to reward us with SOMETHING when all this is over. We shouldn't have to be going through this.

Hello BunnyKiller,

We own every system mentioned in this thread, for your system in particular we have tried to reproduce the lag that you're experiencing for hours, probably days. However, we do not lag as bad as you describe. For this reason, we need to understand why our systems are performing better than yours.
Yea... ok... this is just becoming BS! Hey Blizzard... don't you guys friggin OWN one of these type of systems??? I feel like Mac owners are being bent over here. I have a TOP OF THE LINE laptop that WAY exceeds your specifications. Not only isn't it FUN to play with this kind of lag... but I die... lag = death. And I did NOT give you my money for this kind of pain.

I *hope* you are in the dark based on the basic, rudimentary things you are asking us to do... but more effort needs to be put toward fixing this problem.

I also think it would be in really GOOD taste to reward us with SOMETHING when all this is over. We shouldn't have to be going through this.

Hello BunnyKiller,

You might ask things like Internet provider, type of connection, speed they are set to receive from the service provider, and port mapping.

We own every system mentioned in this thread, for your system in particular we have tried to reproduce the lag that you're experiencing for hours, probably days. However, we do not lag as bad as you describe. For this reason, we need to understand why our systems are performing better than yours.
Edited by Barrett#1786 on 6/15/2012 1:12 PM PDT
85 Blood Elf Paladin
OK, there's more than one issue here. One is stuttering, exactly like if the disk was loading stuff.
The other is cycling FPS which will be regular like a heartbeat. We believe the cycling is heat related at least in some cases.
If your stuttering problem started with 1.0.2b and you didn't have any in 1.0.2a then we really want to know if 1.0.3 fixes your issue when it comes out.

Hmmm, I've been having problems the whole time, but I feel like stuttering got much worse after the patch. I will report back after 1.0.3, though it may not apply to me since I did have problems before 1.0.2b, just not as bad.
1.02b through Present: I was able to play @ 1920x1200, with the settings I was using upon Release, with fps capped @ 25, for about 2-3 hours....it was glorious <3 After that, however, the insane cycling began, going from 25 fps down to 8-10, back up to 25, etc. Again, with occasional periods of normal playability. Also across various graphical settings. It was at this time that I downloaded the SMC fan control app. Conducting all troubleshooting procedures as I had pre-1.02b yielded no noticeable difference. At various points in the troubleshooting process, monitoring temps along the way, I'd make a note of what changes I had made and the temps that I was seeing with them. The temperature spread was quite small, ranging anywhere from 77 up to 82 degrees Celsius during both the cycling AND the periods of playability, regardless of what other processes were or were not running in the background. It was at this time that I noticed whenever I put D3 in the background, windowed; brought another app to the foreground, waited a few minutes, and then made D3 my active window again it would play fine for a few minutes....only for the problem to return a few minutes later.

I'm facing the exact same situation on my HP Pavillion dm4. I have an Intel HD Graphics core i5..

I tried Machkhan's suggestion and it seems to be yielding the same results as quoted above. Running it on 1024x768 or 800x600 doesn't seem to make a difference. But for me to maintain 20-25 fps, I need to go to desktop every time it drops to 8-10 fps, sit there for a bit and return after about 2 minutes. Some major cycling happening.

Any idea why?

Thanks for the support guys. I'm reading the mac forums because I need to figure this out before I try installing it on my personal notebook (2008 unibody macbook with geforce 9400) and changing these settings on the dm4 seem to be yielding similar results.
85 Tauren Death Knight
I play Diablo III on both an early 2009 iMac and early 2011 MacBook Pro. When playing on my iMac at max settings at native resolution (1920x1200) I get consistent fps at around 25fps with occasional 30fps or more, very playable. When playing at the same settings on my MacBook pro I see constant cycles between 8 fps and 25 fps, which makes the game appear stuttering. Here is the system information for both systems.

Early 2009 iMac:

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: iMac
Model Identifier: iMac9,1
Processor Speed: 3.06 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 6 MB
Boot ROM Version: IM91.008D.B08
SMC Version (system): 1.45f0
Serial Number (system): QP9320H0259
Hardware UUID: 69F08E7A-56F5-53F7-AFF5-9D21D332A02F

ATI Radeon HD 4850:

Chipset Model: ATI Radeon HD 4850
PCIe Lane Width: x16
VRAM (Total): 512 MB
Vendor: ATI (0x1002)
Device ID: 0x944a
Revision ID: 0x0000
ROM Revision: 113-B9090C-181
EFI Driver Version: 01.00.327
Displays:
iMac:
Resolution: 1920 x 1200
LED Cinema Display:
Resolution: 1920 x 1200
Display Serial Number: 2A9262ML0K0
Rotation: Supported
Connection Type: DisplayPort

System Version: Mac OS X 10.6.8 (10K549)
Kernel Version: Darwin 10.8.0
Boot Volume: iMac HD
Secure Virtual Memory: Not Enabled
64-bit Kernel and Extensions: No
Time since boot: 2:23

Early 2011 MacBook Pro:

Hardware Overview:

Model Identifier: MacBookPro8,3
Processor Name: Intel Core i7
Processor Speed: 2.2 GHz
Total Number of Cores: 4
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 6 MB
Memory: 16 GB
Boot ROM Version: MBP81.0047.B27
SMC Version (system): 1.70f5
Serial Number (system): C02FV2LDDF92
Hardware UUID: 7F15EDFB-87CD-5806-872F-9BCAA787D571
Sudden Motion Sensor:

AMD Radeon HD 6750M:

Chipset Model: AMD Radeon HD 6750M
PCIe Lane Width: x8
VRAM (Total): 1024 MB
Vendor: ATI (0x1002)
Device ID: 0x6741
Revision ID: 0x0000
ROM Revision: 113-C0170L-573
gMux Version: 1.9.24
EFI Driver Version: 01.00.573
Displays:
Display Connector:

Time since boot: 2 days 4:54
Hello, I have the same problem, currently playing at 50 fps but I get this cycling. I have the same config as a lot of people, MacBook Pro with 9600M etc.
This is definitely a temperature problem, today it's very hot and I can't play more than 5 minutes before getting the cycling frame rate, which makes the game unplayable.
Some days ago, when it was a lot colder, I've been able to complete act 3 and 4 without any problem.
But, I can play WoW, Starcraft 2 and a lot of other games without getting this problem. So I hope you won't say "just clean your fans or play in a colder environment" and find a way to patch this game I can't play.
Hi there.

Running Windows 7
GTX 570 (70-83 degrees which presents zero issue in any other game)
8 GB Ripjaws
i5-2500k at 45-60c in game.

I had no issues with frame rate cycling or higher temps until the latest patch.

Prior to that, everything was gravy.
Hey guys, the workaround posted on this thread saved me!

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5149178443

Since the above is specific for Windows users, I'd suggest doing what I did:

Instead of copying few of the files onto my external drive and doing all that cmd stuff, I just copied the entire D3 folder and I run the game from my external harddisk now. I get a decent 15-20 fps and it makes the game playable. Finally!

I suggest everyone facing these problems try it, there's also a lot of faqs answered on the same thread. Cheers!
Edited by grgjsp#2932 on 6/17/2012 11:55 AM PDT
I am on a late 2008 15" MBP with 9400/9600GT graphics

I had the same issue since release. I would have the initial smooth game play then cycle through periods of low FPS every 6 - 8 seconds.. but I discovered that the lag would go away if I kept the laptop cool.

Initially I was playing with an external monitor which meant I had the clamshell closed; but when I opened the laptop and played with the back of the Macbook propped the issue went away.
MVP - Technical Support
View profile
Windows users experiencing prefetching issue (you know it's prefetching issue if it's fine on an SSD/flash drive), please use windows tech support or approprirate forum to talk about it. This thread is NOT about the prefetching issue you guys are experiencing.
Support Forum Agent
MysticalOS is correct, this issue that is happening to Mac users is more than prefetching (we're experiencing this too), and is happening after the 1.0.2b changes for the Mac client.

If you are on Windows and experience cycling/spiking FPS issues, this is probably another issue, and you will need to post in the Technical Support (Windows) forums do that this can be looked into.
I have to agree with S4d1k that the symptoms are Over Heating Related.

I was able to get a substantial amount of playtime using a Lapcool before the issue kicked in. My wife and I were actually able to play co-op.

Part of the 2 issues were resolved when I upgraded the ram. When I did this I also cleaned out the dust that had collected. The Lapcool resolved the remainder of the issue. So I think most of this is Heat Related.

However, now my OpenGL Driver Monitor shows what is going on when the card is overheating. For some reason the unitized video memory starts spiking to 0. Like the entire video memory is flushed then immediately filled back up. It does this for about the same length of time that the frame rate was unplayable when it wasn't being actively cooled. What ever is rapidly pulling video memory out and then pushing it right back in is probably what is causing the video card to overheat. Unfortunately, you can only really see it if you aren't keeping the system cool.
Edited by Vaux#1580 on 6/18/2012 7:28 AM PDT
I have this problem with the sudden drop in fps that requires a full restart described well by OffMaRocka. It is pretty wierd that it just started happening out of nowhere. Everything ran great up until this last patch. Reminds me of a memory leak. I really do hope this next patch fixes it. Thanks for your hard work and I will most certainly post if it gets fixed with 1.0.3.
I have the cycling problem but after some time (like 30 minutes) playing it stabilizes and I can play in 25-35 fps.

Early 2009 MacBook:

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: MacBook
Model Identifier: MacBook6,1
Processor Speed: 2,26 GHz
Bus Speed: 1,07 GHz
Boot ROM Version: MB61.00C8.B00
SMC Version (system): 1.51f53
Serial Number (system):
Hardware UUID: 1CA73BA1-DF83-5128-BB02-4441279112BA
Sudden Motion Sensor:

NVIDIA GeForce 9400M:

Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce 9400M
Device ID: 0x0863
Revision ID: 0x00b1
ROM Revision: 3462
Displays:
Color LCD:
Resolution: 1280 x 800

Computer Name:
User Name:
Time since boot: 19 minutes
7 Gnome Warrior
1.0.3 addressing this issue or are we going to have to wait even longer?

NM...absolutely nothing was addressed. Getting so tired of the horrid fps all over the place in D3, Blizz.
Edited by Mangroas#1381 on 6/19/2012 11:38 AM PDT
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]