Diablo® III

Cycling/spiking Frame Rate After Patch

(Locked)

Yea I can confirm that the patch does nothing for the issue. If this is an overheating issue it requires some hellish coolers to keep it in check. I suspect it's something outside of normal operations that triggers the over heating. Though a Real Overheating issue should eventually lock the card and force a reboot.

Now the FPS always reads as 0 so someone introduced a bug with this patch. Someone missed a simple QA check.
The problem is still there after patch, I can play using a huge fan next to my computer... and the FPS are not displayed, they stay at 0.
Morning,
dreaming of a disimprovement patch. Game is still unplayable since 2 weeks now.
2.3 i7 ivybridge
4 GB 1600 mhz ram
nvidia 650m 512/ hd 4000 gpu

I am experiencing spikes everywhere when attacking.
After the mac optimization in 1.02 I was getting consistent 20-30 fps on my 9400 Macbook. It was fantastic and I thank you Blizzard team so much-- the game was entirely playable for me and I appreciate the work you put into that optimization.

Since 1.03, however, I've noticed a significant drop in playable and fps (even though I can't actually read my fps). And yes--this was even after I made sure all of my gameplay/graphics settings were the same as before. So it seems that something happened in 1.03 that is counteracting the great work you guys put into the 1.02 patch mac optimization.
After the mac optimization in 1.02 I was getting consistent 20-30 fps on my 9400 Macbook. It was fantastic and I thank you Blizzard team so much-- the game was entirely playable for me and I appreciate the work you put into that optimization.

Since 1.03, however, I've noticed a significant drop in playable and fps (even though I can't actually read my fps). And yes--this was even after I made sure all of my gameplay/graphics settings were the same as before. So it seems that something happened in 1.03 that is counteracting the great work you guys put into the 1.02 patch mac optimization.

It's things like this that make me think that it's a Warden Memory scan and that you're just lucky and didn't get hit with Warden requests for a bit.
Edited by Vaux#1580 on 6/20/2012 9:05 AM PDT
I don't know if the patch fixed everything, because with the new patch i played only in an very good air conditioned room. I'll write if problems come back.

I was playing on a late 2010 MacBook Air on 1490 x 1080 (nativ) resolution.
Act 3/4 Hell
Act 2 Inferno in groups of 2 - 4 people
Of course in some situations with huge mobgroups the FPS dropped down since the system specs are minimum required i think.

Video options are all on low/off and FPS limited to front 25 and background to 14.

System specs:

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: MacBook Air
Model Identifier: MacBookAir3,2
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 1,86 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 6 MB
Memory: 2 GB
Bus Speed: 1,07 GHz
Boot ROM Version: MBA31.0061.B07
SMC Version (system): 1.66f54
Hardware UUID: 86325E78-85E7-5A2C-B872-02A571CA8DF5

NVIDIA GeForce 320M:

Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce 320M
Type: GPU
Bus: PCI
VRAM (Total): 256 MB
Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)
Device ID: 0x08a3
Revision ID: 0x00a2
ROM Revision: 3571
Displays:
Color LCD:
Resolution: 1440 x 900
Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)
Main Display: Yes
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes
Built-In: Yes
Connection Type: DisplayPort

System Software Overview:

System Version: Mac OS X 10.7.4 (11E53)
Kernel Version: Darwin 11.4.0
Boot Volume: Macintosh HD
Boot Mode: Normal
Secure Virtual Memory: Enabled
64-bit Kernel and Extensions: Yes
Time since boot: 26 minutes

hope this helps

cheers Janek
85 Human Paladin
On my macbook pro I can usually play for about two minutes before it becomes unplayable due to terrible FPS. However I played at a location other than my house and had no problems, was able to play for over an hour with great FPS. Next day I played again at my house and it became unplayable again. Not sure what the deal is.
Ok Guys, here is the deal. Since the new patch I have trouble with my fps. I have a macbook pro from 2010 with a 9600M GT. Previously to the patch the game was working perfectly but since 1.03 I experience FPS drop. I cannot tell how many because the FPS meter is broken and always show 0. What is for sure is that it is a cycle, I have the game working fine for 4 sec and then my FPS drop for 1-2 sec. This cycle happen even if I'm in town, alone and not doing anything. I have try everything that the support team offers as possible solutions but as I as expected nothing worked.
I would love to be able to play the game properly but with the higher price to repair and the fps drop I cannot farm act3 inferno anymore (fps drop kill me a lot and repair cost way more than I get, not to mention that some elite pack are just not killable with this constant fps drop). I was ready to go Hardcore as I was playing on D2 but with the game not woking properly it is not an option.
Update,
I can also confirm that after the 1.0.3 patch my fps has dropped. I tried again last night to play but its so jerky that I could not carry on. The the previous patch for the Macbook pro 2008 it made a massive difference and I was able to play on my own and with four people with min fps issues.

Please guys can you sort this out.... the weird thing is if I log into wow and push the setting up to good my frame rate is rock solid. So nothing wrong with the mac.

Macbook pro late 2008
2.8 Ghz with 4GB RAM
Latest version of Lion
Running on the 512MB graphics card and not the share memory one
Edited by megaslinger#2500 on 6/21/2012 10:21 AM PDT
Blizzard Employee
Deviate, PumpyNut, megaslinger

Can you confirm that you are playing in a room where the temperature is below 72F and that you are playing on a table so that the vent behind the hinge is not blocked?
Are you using smcFanControl to monitor your fans?

I'm asking this because I have experienced the same problems and overheating is often the reason. Diablo 3 tends to heat up the GPU more than other games.

Lets be clear that I do not blame everything on overheating but I want to make sure that it's not the reason for your poor performance.
Hi,
Same than everyone here, still have the Cycling/spiking Frame Rate issue. Everything is setup at the lowest specs possible, and I've tried the fix the support team suggested, didn't change anything. Game is highly un-enjoyable due to this issue since the release date.... loosing both hope and interest with the game, gets boring really quickly.

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro5,5
Processor Speed: 2.26 GHz
L2 Cache: 3 MB
Memory: 8 GB
Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz
Boot ROM Version: MBP55.00AC.B03
SMC Version (system): 1.47f2
Sudden Motion Sensor:
State: Enabled

Graphic/display
NVIDIA GeForce 9400M:

Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce 9400M
Type: GPU
Bus: PCI
VRAM (Total): 256 MB
Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)
Device ID: 0x0863
Revision ID: 0x00b1
ROM Revision: 3427
Displays:
Color LCD:
Resolution: 1280 x 800
Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)
Main Display: Yes
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes
Built-In: Yes

System Software Overview:

System Version: Mac OS X 10.7.4 (11E53)
Kernel Version: Darwin 11.4.0
Boot Volume: Macintosh HD
Boot Mode: Normal
Secure Virtual Memory: Enabled
64-bit Kernel and Extensions: Yes
Edited by Requiem#1804 on 6/21/2012 3:03 PM PDT
MacBook Aluminium (Late 2008) 13 Inch
Core 2 Duo 2Ghz
4 GB RAM
9400 m

Yeah I know, crappy machine not very good for gaming (I am not gamer, just wants to play 2-3 hours per week for fun), but anyway based on feedback on D3 forums after 1.0.2b patch and minimum system reqs I supposed I would be able to play the game on a lowest widesreen res, with everything set to low @ around 20-25 stable FPS (OK I can live with occasion more significant drops in case of huge bunch of enemies firing spell on me). Especially, when graphics in D3 is nothing that stuns me, actually many older games look much better...

Game is really unplayable after 1.0.3 - for some time everything runs just fine.
- I am running in lowest widescreen resolution
- everything on low
- disabled trilinear filtering (via modification of D3prefs.txt)
- tried all the troubleshooting, I run exclusivelly D3 (no other apps or programs)
- Mac is hot, but nothing unusual I suppose (max temperature is on CPU 67 - 70 celsius, then heatsink A & B, around 62-64)
- play on battery, with USB mouse
After app. 30 minutes of gameplay the game lags terribly, basically there are two main issues:
1.) game lags terribly or
2.) monsters freeze, while I can move and attack smoothly, but can not hit enemies, then my hero teleports here and there, then monsters start to attack me, and meantime I am dead due to lag.

Also FPS counter is not working and show 0.

Questions:
1.) Other guys with comparable MacBooks Alu / Pro. What was your performance with 1.0.2b and with 1.0.3? I did not have a chance to try 1.0.2b, just 1.0.3.

2.) Blizzard, do you think you are able to address and fix issue?

Minimum requirements should be MINIMUM SPECS required to play the game reasonably in my opinion (on minimum details with reasoable constant framerate). Otherwise I don get it, why you would put the minimum requirement in a way, that "Hey guys you need this machine just to run the game, but do not expect that you will able to play it..." WTF?

Do my machine meets the min reqs? CHECK
Do I expect then, to be able to play the game reasonably with minimum settings (reasonable gameplay for me means at least constant 20 - 25 FPS) CHECK
Am I able to play the game reasonably? NOPE

OK then I WAN' MY MONEY BACK MAN! :-)

No offence, just my opinion and some feedback for Blizz, so that they do not piss off more people in the future...
Edited by iljakov#2587 on 6/21/2012 3:18 PM PDT
Macbook Aluminum 13'' mid 2009 9400M
2.1GHz 4GB 120gb SSD here.

I thought i add my experience here mostly because i found this issue closer to my problem.
My fps does indeed cycle or something, im experience something like normal and slowdown states.

So ive been watching the forums for a while now tried to apply all the fixes mentioned but nothing seemed to work.
So i focused on the heat area.
Applied the smcFanControl, noticed my cpu was going somewhere around above 80C and put it on maximum just to be sure and noticed things were much better(like constant 70-80 with proper ventilation). BUT.
When i was pushing the game too much they all came back. The cycling i mean.

Like when i had some serious action inside the sewers. Or this other time inside a cave where i had like 20 mobs plus 2 elite packs on me with crazy fancy affixes. (Im talking pixel/graphic wise here you know lazers fires on the ground mortars, thats serious graphic action ^^).

So for me.. it never worked concerning any patch. I would definitely say this issue is related with the stress this game puts on cpu/gpu im not sure. But its definitely related to this.
Hope you guys come up with a fix soon cause sacrificing the eye candy part is totally cool and understandable. But it should at least be playable :-)

Good luck for us all.

--Edit:
What i want to add which i think it might be of importance here (seeing how this trace is going) is that when i experience this weird issue with graphics (prolly because of stress/heat to the system), it wont eventually go away even if my temp drops down at 65-70C which is fine. Ill have to close diablo and reopen it again. Like reset it. Hope it helps

--Edit2:
I also wanted to add that in order to make the game playable and make it put less stress on my system except from puting everything down to LOW/OFF and res to 800x600 and also messing with that .txt gpu conf file i thought of allowing the game of maximum 35 fps which i think for the most part did the more work. Not allowing the game to reach a high number of fps seemed to keep the temperatures on a reasonable level.
Edited by Warjo#2854 on 6/21/2012 3:45 PM PDT
Blizzard Employee
Yes, limiting the FPS to 25/30 and making sure that HardwareClass is set to 1 if you have a 9400, 9600, HD3000 or 320m in your D3Prefs.txt can help.
Update,
I have my macbook pro standing on a cooling pad with the cooling fan on while I play. The fans come on as soon as I start playing. I have also upgraded to a M4 SSD. It might be heating but I dont get any of these problem when playing wow. The fans also come on during wow but it does not slow down the performance. I have also tried setting my fps to 30 and unchecking both and no difference. I will try and make the D3Prefs.txt file change and see if that helps.

I have also installed a base windows 7, fully patched and only diablo running on it via bootcamp and it was the same performance. But then this was before the patch that fixed the card and before 1.0.3.

If there are any questions please shout
Edited by megaslinger#2500 on 6/22/2012 4:08 AM PDT
I have a 8600M GT. After 1.0.2 I could do native resolution for well over an hour before spiking. Now, it's more like 20 minutes, at which point I go to 1024x768.

I just want to ask others with my card and blues, is the 8600M GT too weak to play at native resolution? Or maybe my fans just accrued a lot of gunk.
Edited by francoluambo#2627 on 6/22/2012 11:22 AM PDT
S4dik, I can confirm for me the problem is definitely heat related. Here's what I experience after 1.0.3:

Launching the game on a 'cold' computer (just rebooted, or having been in sleep mode for a while) the game runs fine for a few minutes. Monitoring temperature via smcFanControl, the fps cycling starts when temp reaches the low 90 degrees c. At this time, for some reason, the fans RPM is still at its lowest (about 2000 rpm). Then some minutes later, the fans will speed up, and begin to cool things. This will sometimes resolve cycling.

However, if I tell smcFanControl to use higher fan speeds, I do not get fps cycling at all.

I'm not sure if I'm having some hardware problem (seems like the fans should speed up without the need for smcFanControl, sooner) or if there are coding improvements that can be made.

For those having problems with cycling, if you suspect it's heat related, give smcFanControl a try.

p.s. unfortunately I haven't found anything to help with the rubberbanding problem, which for me has definitely become much more frequent since 1.0.3.
Edited by Crackhat#1996 on 6/22/2012 4:02 PM PDT
90 Orc Warrior
After trying all the trouble shooting and no fix to my game play, I decided something was wrong with my computer.

I assumed it was overheating as it was running very hot during games..When I checked the fan it said it was working but periodically dropped to 0rpm.Also with my room completely quite and my ear near the computer i often heard no sound. So I opened up the computer and cleaned the fan which had a layer of dust covering the vent. Even unplugging it and replugging it in. When I turned my comp back on the fan was clearly able to be heard again.

I also installed a fan control to use when playing games....I tried diablo3 again..And it was now fixed. I did the same thing to my friends , and now his works.Not sure wether the fan was working at all..or maybe it jammed. but it was clearly not working properly.
fixing the overheating fixed the problem.

Just something people might want to try.
Edited by Stormborn#1940 on 6/23/2012 7:05 AM PDT
Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro5,5
Processor Speed: 2.53 GHz
L2 Cache: 3 MB
Memory: 8 GB
Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz
Boot ROM Version: MBP55.00AC.B03
SMC Version (system): 1.47f2
Serial Number (system): W8922JRL66E
Hardware UUID: 3610BD16-D3B5-5072-822C-9D6CAFC85306
Sudden Motion Sensor:
State: Enabled

I too dled the fan control app and set it to high RPM, and it fixed my FPS cycling issue, i have tried it once and experienced no lag during game that was about an hour long, so HEATing may be an issue that the fan control is addressing,not sure just wanted to post my feeddback so we can receive a fix asap...........
when i was gaming i also had the agent closed, and the quick look helper,but i was gaming With itunes listening to the new "deathspell omega," so this may have helped in addition..... but i digress .
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]