Diablo® III

Windows real time protection

I have a new computer coming with Windows 7 Home Premium Edition already installed.

Can I rely on Windows 7 real time protection as my lone virus checker or should I also install a recognized Virus checker and leave the real time protection turned off? I know that runing two antivirus programs can sometimes have a negative effect as they fight each other. I have relied on a well known online virus checker for 30+ years without ever getting a virus or the Like. I was unaware that windows real time protection existed until now. ( this is the first computer I have owned with Win7 ) MY three choices are:
1. Win 7 real time protection by itself
2. Online Virus checker by itself
3. Run both Win 7 Real Time Protection and My favorite online virus checker.

PS. I run superantispyware and Malwarebytes on a regular basis.

Thanks for your help.
Edited by RoggTarth#1667 on 6/9/2012 6:26 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Might get bashed, but from my personal experience, the combination of the Windows Security Essentials+Malwarebytes+Common sense not to click on ads, visit unknown/unfriendly !@#$/not to click on any attachments in email has kept me virus free for a long while now.
Reply Quote
^^Like above best protection is mainly common sense stuff. There's no anti-virus 100% protection program out there. Windows 7 is great, the problem is rather its popularity. Windows 7 could be the best virus detector ever; buuuuut it's also something that people know to code for.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
It's also important to note that many malwares now exploit the vulnerabilities of 3rd party programs rather than the Windows itself.

Always keep these up-to-date, and don't enable these in sites you don't trust:

Java
Acrobat Reader
Flash

Keep your browsers up-to-date, and use security addons (like NoScript) if it has one.
Edited by Ehrengarde#1143 on 6/9/2012 11:06 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Thanks You guys are the best.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]