Diablo® III

Cost Efficient A2 Inferno Build

Because Life on Hit is so hard to get without dumping millions of gold, this is a funky build I came up with that seems to work quite well. I used it in Inferno Act 2 tonight and full cleared a large zone + its dungeons, killing about 12 variations of elites. I was able to beat every elite variation I came across, some quite hard, and died maybe 1-2 times on each pack (excluding nightmare electrocution extra health enchanted wasps, which were bloody horrible with the insta-gib damage; but I did kill them).

Based on what I've read, the average player farming A2 Inferno has spent about 5-10 million golds on their gearset. I spent somewhere in the area of 1.5 million for mine, so I consider that a substantial difference.

Feel free to critique this because there may be better out there, or possibly a better way of doing this.

Skills

Breath of Heaven - Blazing Wrath
Serenity - Ascension
Mantra of Evasion - Divine Protection
Blinding Flash - Searing Light
Fists of Thunder - Quickening
Lashing Tail Kick - Scorpion Sting

One With Everything
Transcendence
Near Death Experience

Basically it works thus:

I stacked up to 20% crit (shield 8% + gloves 7.5%%). I also just bought two Attack Speed rings (60 Dex, 15% AS) for the low cost of 15k gold each. It's amazing how much impact these rings have on my baseline dps. Blew me away. Anyway, I think these will improve this build greatly and are also cost effective.

The essence of the build is that I run in, blow a utility CD, fill my spirit pool, unload it with LTKs, run out. Repeat.

Now, these LTKs are a big dps jump from my FoT attacks (200% instead of 110%), and also stunlock most mob combinations, as well as healing whatever damage I happen to take between maneuvers through Transcendence. The high attack speed + crit chance + FoT Quickening ensures I get that max spirit very fast, in the 3-4 second window I have for the two utility skills I use.

Something like this:

Serenity + beat them down + blow spirit pool on stunkicks, run out.
Blinding Flash + beat them down + blow spirit pool on stunkicks, run out.

Kite until Serenity's back up, won't take long.

Repeat.

I use my Breath of Heaven heal if things get ugly, which happens often enough to keep my damage buff up. If there's an emergency I also blow any remaining spirit on MoE for a quick heal, and/or potion.

Of note: I use Near Death Experience and MoE's Divine Protection because imo the extra armour I was getting from Hard Target and Seize the Initiative was doing diddly squat. My impression is that the point of every elite encounter (excluding Invulnerable Minions) is to kill one of the minions asap, so I'm designing this build as a cost effective way to get a minion down asap without dying. The 10% mitigation from extra armour (which I assume is contextual and doesn't help against a lot of stuff) never really made the difference in my ability to take down mobs. But given that many of the harder elite packs are somewhat long fights, having two emergency saves actually prevented countless deaths. Basically, "!@#$ happens" was more common than dying from a lack of 10% armour mitigation.

As far as gear, I did this full clear of 12 elite packs with 16k dps, 30k health, 5k armour, 400 resist all, 20% crit, 1300 dex (43% dodge with MoE up), 200 life on hit, and 1.4 attack speed (terrible, I didn't have the rings at the time). The one other thing I've invested into, and I'm not sure how necessary it is for this tactic, is Life per Second. I have 1200 LPS, most pieces of gear have +100-200. This in particular was my cheap alternative to Life on Hit, which is very hard to get without spending a stupid amount of gold. I think I've paid maybe 1.5 million gold for my entire suit, if that. And I would say that the perpetual regeneration did help during my run away/run back in moments. It prevented the spamming of spirit on unnecessary abilities to get Transcendence heal, and allowed me to be a bit more exact/efficient.

Hope this helps, because frankly, I was getting frustrated with A2 Inferno and the limitations of my former build. I really dislike having to just "bypass" mobs because I'm not good enough, and come back later when my gear is good enough that I can gain numerical victory. Total BS design imo.

Cheers
Edited by EsperXII#1585 on 6/5/2012 12:18 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Just want to bump this and say that I'm really enjoying FoT: Quickening. My spirit generation is really high, I generally fill to 150 before Serenity runs out. And the damage increase from spamming LTKs is nice, too.

I went back to farm SK a bit and noticed my control was much higher than previously. I'm going to try this build in A3 once I buy a new weapon with more LoH.

Also up to 19k dps with those AS rings. :D
Edited by EsperXII#1585 on 6/5/2012 10:00 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Not a bad idea, spirit gen/dump builds intrigue me. I feel like that was how Blizzard intended the monk to be played in the first place. Most of the monks seem to just spam autoattack and never even use Spirit and wonder why they feel weak.

I also agree with the 15% AS rings, there is really nothing better, such a huge dps increase.

Of course the whole build relies on the crit gear, tough to sacrifice for crit but it makes the whole thing work.
Reply Quote
I've been running a variation of this the past week. I go with tempest rush instead of LTK, along with Mantra of Conviction/Overawe. I have ~32% to crit and I heal with Sweeping Wind on a 143.5 LpSS. If you get your timing right, what you do is you heal or Mantra(48% for 3 seconds is good to keep it up :>) as you get hit. So Hit/SW/Hit/SW. Now, you will get strings of massive crits(fine), and also points at which you have a lack of crits. During those times, you'll start to get low and then you use a cooldown to get back up and hopefully get back to critting normally. You'll still have to move fights and what not to some extent to stay out of their AE of course, but by and large i'm back to tanking how I used to. You also don't need funky strats to do stuff like Belial.

Weapon selection for this is huge. i managed to score an 800+ 1h'r with 51.7 LpSS and a socket for 1.75 mil. For the socket, I originally went LoH, but it wasn't making that much difference and so i tried with 50% to crit dmg off the emerald and Katie Bar the Door I started to tear stuff up. Simply huge. It was like a 2-3k boost in damage with that much crit %. I'm working on getting it up to 70% as i get the emeralds. I should still have some room to move upwards on crit %, and I definately want more crit dmg and attack speed.. but at least I feel like a Monk again. I flat out refused to progress until I figured out how to do that. I wasn't about to play cooldown kite games.
Edited by Quillim#1459 on 6/5/2012 10:20 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I agree, Quillim. Kiting is kinda meh, especially as a melee class (and kind of made worse dropping the teleport rune on FoT, even though I'll probably stay with Quickening indefinitely now). I don't expect to be able to just sit static and win or anything, but in the end I'd like a build that focuses more on tactical use of skills/timing/fine movements, and less on constant tactical retreat.

Do you notice a significant damage drop using Tempest Rush over LTK?
Reply Quote
06/05/2012 12:16 AMPosted by EmberIX
Of note: I use Near Death Experience and MoE's Divine Protection because imo the extra armour I was getting from Hard Target and Seize the Initiative was doing diddly squat. My impression is that the point of every elite encounter (excluding Invulnerable Minions) is to kill one of the minions asap, so I'm designing this build as a cost effective way to get a minion down asap without dying. The 10% mitigation from extra armour (which I assume is contextual and doesn't help against a lot of stuff) never really made the difference in my ability to take down mobs.

FYI, Armor affects everything. If it does damage, it is reduced by armor.
Reply Quote
Good to know, thanks for that. I've been wondering about armour for awhile.

I'd still stick with my emergency saves for now, until I reach a point where my LoH is high enough to work well with higher armour. I just find that most of my deaths are more a result of sudden damage that occurs infrequently than consistent and manageable damage.
Reply Quote
!@#$, I tried to get an LPSS set going before I went LPS. I actually had a really hard time finding decent pieces on the AH. Most of what I saw that was at least +20 (which seems a minimal to be worthwhile) were overpriced with garbage incidental stats. :/

But I've talked to other monks in-game who also use and enjoy it. Something to keep looking into, I think.
Reply Quote
also, lol @ b o n g being censored.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Death Knight
Ok i might be a nub but how are you using Breath of Heaven and serenity as seperate skills?
Reply Quote
thank you for this post! oh my gosh, i love it, esp. i'm just playing the beginning of act 1, but mowing through mobs and being extra careful with elites. i die by poison and the fire on the ground.

does LPSS help enough so you dont have to hit and run here? i have 0.
Reply Quote
Pricilla,
Go into "options" and turn on "elective mode."
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]