Diablo® III

Impressive Multi-Core Support

Impressed with the number of threads that Diablo 3 uses. Looks like it might even benefit from multiple processor setups with ~30 threads! Not that I can afford a 2 x Ivy Bridge workstation. Has anyone tried 8 core or more with Diablo 3?

http://i.imgur.com/cPmO6.png

I was on my Mac laptop goofing off at work on a Saturday.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
That "threads" really isn't the kind of thread you are thinking of
Reply Quote
06/09/2012 03:26 PMPosted by Kalganized
That "threads" really isn't the kind of thread you are thinking of

How is it different? Aren't the number of threads = number of processes created by the program?
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
Yeah, but that does not necessarily translate into efficient, multiple cores in use. Programs that barely make use of multiple cores can still create a lot of processes.

See:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/diablo-iii-performance-benchmark,3195-6.html

You can see that number of cores don't make all that much of a difference for Diablo 3 performance (at least for Intel processors).
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
Just did a test...D3 is really only using *1* of my cores to any great extent (around 60% usage). Getting a couple of small (20% or less) spikes here and there for an instant on one other core. So...I've pretty much got 6 unused. FX-8150.

That said, I can still max out the game with no issues. If I get un-lazy, I'll test out an area with a lot of physics and see what it does.
Reply Quote
I dont think the tristram runs that Tom's Hardware did were a goood indicator of performance. Anywhere in Act IV or III would be more indicative. In fact they didnt really see much of a difference relative to processor speed. I wish they would have used a multi-gpu benchmark, because it looks like their test is GPU limited.
Edited by Landocal#1214 on 6/10/2012 10:36 AM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]