Reply Quote
Plug it into a TI-89. 288

Also:

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=48%C3%B72%289%2B3%29

/Thread
Reply Quote
85 Orc Warrior
06/12/2012 08:36 AMPosted by Moobeary
Parenthesis -> Exponents -> Multiplication -> Division -> Addition -> Subtraction

HAAHAHAHA. you need to go back to school bro lol...

Parenthesis -> Exponents -> Multiplication or Division (whichever order they appear) -> Addition or Subtraction (whichever order they appear)

Multiplication and Division are inverse functions and are given equal priority when evaluating expressions. this is also true for Addition and Subtraction
Reply Quote
Based on the rule of order of operations the answer is 288.
Reply Quote
85 Human Death Knight

Actually the correct answer is that the question is rigged in the way it's presented. There is a reason math classes stop using the division symbol usually after elementary school, it's ambiguous and confusing. There is no right answer, because the question is flawed.

^
Reply Quote
exact way I learned it way back in the day lol.
Reply Quote
06/12/2012 08:44 AMPosted by Chedwick
Parenthesis -> Exponents -> Multiplication -> Division -> Addition -> Subtraction

HAAHAHAHA. you need to go back to school bro lol...

Parenthesis -> Exponents -> Multiplication or Division (whichever order they appear) -> Addition or Subtraction (whichever order they appear)

Multiplication and Division are inverse functions and are given equal priority when evaluating expressions. this is also true for Addition and Subtraction

This. I've bolded the key element.
Reply Quote
Math teacher speaking.

48/2(9+3)

In words: Forty eight over two times nine plus three.

When you have a string of multiplying and diving in one term, you go left to right.

10/5/2 = 1
10*5/2 = 25

Parenthesis first

48/2*12 = 288

Proof: http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=48%2F2%289%2B3%29
Reply Quote
The answer is 2

Please
Excuse
My
Dear
Aunt
Sally

48/2*(9+3) = 48/2(12) = 48/24 = 2

Except ...
Parenthesis -> Exponents -> Multiplication/Division (Left to Right)-> Addition/Subtraction (Left to Right)
48/2*(9+3) = 48/2*12 = 24 * 12 = 288

I don't understand why people that can't do math love proving themselves ignorant so frequently on the internet, lol.
Reply Quote
Reply Quote
The question is not flawed at all... It's not ambiguous. The answer is strictly 288.
Reply Quote
85 Orc Warrior
inb4 someone rages about the distributive property which does not apply here.
Reply Quote
an apple falls on my head therefore i am correct
the answer is 48
Reply Quote
19 Undead Warrior
You're all wrong. It's 42.
Reply Quote
06/12/2012 08:48 AMPosted by Adanisen
You're all wrong. It's 42.

Was wondering when this was coming. :P
Reply Quote

48/ 2 (9+3) is EXACTLY the same as 48/2 *(9+3).

you do not multiply 2*12 before you divide 48/2 because the parenthesis is done already, the multiplication is OUTSIDE the parenthesis, therefore it is a normal multiplication.
Multiplication and division have the same priority so left to right rule applies.
Reply Quote
85 Human Death Knight
This is why they put parentheses on calculators. The nature of this math problem lends itself to ambiguity and the interpretation of the reader. In fact, just plug this in as-is into several different models of calculator, and chances are good you'll get both 2 and 288. Some calculators will prioritize Mult over Div, and vis-versa.

Moral is, if you see this on a quiz/test, do it both ways and then write a paragraph telling the teacher why the problem sucks.

P.S.: Look this up on know-your-meme. It's a known troll post.
Reply Quote
85 Orc Warrior
06/12/2012 08:49 AMPosted by IceAssassin

pretty much this. there seems to be two issues most people have when evaluating this perfectly valid expression.

they are as follows:

PEMDAS (or whatever other acronym used) which puts the M before the D and they take it literally as if one comes before the other. in this situation these people have failed middle school mathematics.

and the second is the distributive property, these high school kids are attempting to apply the concept of expanding the 2(9+3) in 48/2(9+3) to 48/((2*9) + (2*3)). in this case, these people have failed at high school mathematics and do not understand the rules that govern the distributive property.

these are pretty much the only ways that someone cannot get the completely correct answer of 288 to this perfectly valid expression
Reply Quote

you do not multiply 2*12 before you divide 48/2 because the parenthesis is done already, the multiplication is OUTSIDE the parenthesis, therefore it is a normal multiplication.
Multiplication and division have the same priority so left to right rule applies.

No just no.
48/ 2(9+3) - > 48 / ( 2 * (9+3))
48 divided by 2 times the sum of 9 plus 3. You need to know the value of 2 times 9+3 before you can do the division due to the order of operations.

Had the equation been written 48/2*(9+3) you would have an argument however with the 2(9+3) it implies that you have (2*(9+3)).
Case closed, answer is 2.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]