Diablo® III

[FIXED] Diablo 2 and newer video cards

90 Orc Shaman
Well...this is odd. Until about 2 months ago, I was using an HD6870, and I was able to play Diablo 2 without any issues. The only thing that has changed since it worked is the video card...I upgraded to an HD7950. I suppose the video drivers have upgraded a couple of times since then too (on 12.4 now). OS is Win7 Ultimate 64-bit (though that's been the same all along and it worked before).

Diablo 2 won't launch anymore. Launch game (it was fully patched), get black screen and error beep, hit windows key, see window that says Unhandled Exception: Access Violation {c000005}. Tried every compatibility mode Win7 has (I previously didn't have to use any). Same error. Googled the error, saw lots of people getting it, with very unhelpful advice (never saw any solutions). Someone suggested setting it to 2D mode instead of Direct3D. Setting it to 2D just gets a black screen for 2 seconds, then it just goes back to the Windows desktop (although Game.exe still shows up in task manager indicating something is running). Set it back to Direct3D, get the same error as before.

So I figure my D2 installation is just corrupt, no biggie. Remove the game and reinstall it (this time from a different source - the soulstone flash drive from my D3 collector's edition). Try to launch - same error. MANUALLY download the latest patch (1.13), install, goes through fine. Try to launch again, same error.

I have literally read at least 50 different websites now with various "things to try" for this error, all of them exceedingly unhelpful. Blizzard's on advice for it is the least helpful of all. Has anyone had this error and managed to find a solution for it?
Edited by Saerydoth#1867 on 6/1/2012 10:28 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Try out beta driver
12.6a

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=363830
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
Will give it a shot. You really think it is a video driver issue? This is an almost 12 year old game after all. No issues with current games.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Oh oops, I thought you said Diablo 3.
It's Diablo 2.

Wow, I'm so bad.

Seeing D2 is quite old, I would strongly recommend for the time being, that you use something like VMWare Player, then make a virtual machine, install Windows XP on it, then run Diablo 2 on it.

That would be my fool-proof solution to run D2.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
Oh oops, I thought you said Diablo 3.
It's Diablo 2.

Wow, I'm so bad.

Seeing D2 is quite old, I would strongly recommend for the time being, that you use something like VMWare Player, then make a virtual machine, install Windows XP on it, then run Diablo 2 on it.

That would be my fool-proof solution to run D2.

Yeah, I've thought of that too, but it would be an awful lot of work for just one game, that worked fine on this computer as recently as 2 months ago. But yeah, Diablo 3 works fine. This all started because I wanted to show my girlfriend Diablo 2 when she was visiting from out of state...Diablo 3 is her first Diablo game.

Ironically, Diablo 1 works fine.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
:<

It becomes so much harder to troubleshoot especially when some time has passed AND that the program is a fairly ancient one.

Besides that VMWare solution, I don't know what you can do that would guarantee D2 working again under Windows 7. Sorry. :(
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
I'll keep that in mind as a backup option, and keep searching for this error to see if it can be fixed.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
Actually, I don't think that even vmware is going to fix it. It's not compatible with my video card *at all*. I guess that is the end of Diablo 2 for me. It's not a Windows 7 problem.
Edited by Saerydoth#1867 on 6/1/2012 9:58 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Shouldn't be, as under VMWare, D2 will not see the real 7950. VMWare has its own set of standard drivers that are used within virtual machine.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
Ok, I fixed it. Here's what I found. Someone made a 3dfx Glide wrapper specifically for Diablo 2. It basically fools Diablo 2 into thinking you're running an old Voodoo 2, and it works! Ironically, it runs FASTER through the wrapper than it did on native Direct3D mode on my HD6870.

http://www.svenswrapper.de/english/downloads.html
Edited by Saerydoth#1867 on 6/1/2012 10:14 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Awesome, guess you got it worked out. :)
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
06/01/2012 10:16 PMPosted by Kalganized
Awesome, guess you got it worked out. :)

Yep, run the glide-init program, have it detect the OpenGL features of your card...drop the glide .dll in the Diablo 2 directory, run the video detect, select Glide mode, happily run with D2 believing you're running an old 3dfx card.

I had forgotten all about 3dfx, but now I remember that Diablo 2 was optimized for Glide. It *supported* Direct3d, but it didn't run anywhere near as well. I now remember reviews citing poor performance with perspective mode on in anything but Glide.

Ah, good old 3dfx. I still remember the old Diamond Monster 3D II I had back in those days, paired with some Matrox 2D card. Good times. I eventually replaced it with a Rage 128 Pro when 3dfx died, and then went onward to the Radeon series starting with a 7500.
Edited by Saerydoth#1867 on 6/1/2012 10:25 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I was getting this too and the solutions they posted was to uninstall and reinstall. However if you go into the folder and run Video Test, select the Direct Draw(2D) and it will run in full screen. Otherwise I have to run it in windowed mode for the 3D selection...
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
06/07/2012 10:41 PMPosted by TheDemon666
I was getting this too and the solutions they posted was to uninstall and reinstall. However if you go into the folder and run Video Test, select the Direct Draw(2D) and it will run in full screen. Otherwise I have to run it in windowed mode for the 3D selection...

That didn't work for me...it just doesn't work at all in 2D mode (process shows up in task manager but game never launches). At least on the HD7950 with current drivers, the ONLY option is to use the Glide wrapper, otherwise the game will not even launch.

The good news is, the Glide wrapper has better performance in D2 than native Direct3D, due to how D2 was coded.
Reply Quote
Have you tried the windowed mode? with the -w ?
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
06/12/2012 09:52 AMPosted by TheDemon666
Have you tried the windowed mode? with the -w ?

Yes, and it was horrible to try to play that way, but it did kinda work. None of the advanced options were available though.

But since everything works perfectly even in 3D mode with the Glide wrapper, I consider that the solution.
Reply Quote
The Glidewrapper worked a charm ... however when the game starts its still a small window with black surrounding it ...

How do I play it in fullscreen?

Ive ran the "glide-init" program and "windowed" is un-checked so im not sure why its doing this.

Cheers
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
Make sure there is no -w option in the executable for D2 (you might've set that when you were trying to get it to work before).
Reply Quote
06/01/2012 10:13 PMPosted by Mogrigg
http://www.svenswrapper.de/english/downloads.html

freaking worked. and even allows you to run it in different sizes windowed. good stuff

the instructions were a bit vague though. first thing you wanna do when running it is hit the button to switch it to english. that cleared up a lot of confusion right there.

extract it all to your diablo 2 dir. run the exe, this starts up the wrapper (you don't need to hit any buttons in the GUI to activate it). then run D2 vid test exe thingy. if you did it right, it will detect that you're spoofing the glide and give you the option to switch to it.

awesome stuff. glad i can go back to a good version of diablo... ;D
Reply Quote
I looooooove you guys! Seriously, I freaking love you. It looks like D2 is working (for now..) Haven't tried it yet but it looks good for now. Thank you for the tip, and the guys who made Glide, I freeeeaking love you.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]