Diablo® III

Diablo 3 Storyline in error?

*SPOILER ALERT* Read this and comment if you have already finished the game through at least one time and or if you don't care to know certain details of the game you haven't discovered yet. *AT YOUR OWN RISK*

Okay for the many people who have discussed this topic on many many different forums since the games Alpha and Beta releases and etc. I think that I will attempt to settle this matter once and for all.... (not to boast) sense I have a pretty good well rounded memory that retains nearly everything. (I suggest reading everything before you post/remark *please*)

So first thing is first. Is the storyline in Diablo 3 fractured from the previous two games story arc? I would have to say that it is. And in order to prove this I am going to do a recap of all the games and make a detailed list of the things in Diablo 3 that contradict the previous games. The recap is just to help let people know.

1) Diablo/ Diablo + Hellfire
Okay this game centered around the idea that King Leoric had gone insane from Diablo's twisted presence through Lazarus. Which resulted in his timely death and his son being possessed by Diablo. In this game Cain is warning the player that at the end of the entire mess; if he succeed. He/She must destroy the soulstone that holds the soul of Diablo. For by doing this it will banish Diablo back to the black abyss forever. We all know that the "Warrior" who defeated Diablo changes his mind and jams the soulstone into his own head believing Diablo could be controlled by his own will. This action lead to the events of Diablo 2 and Diablo 2 Lord of Destruction.

2) Diablo 2/ Diablo 2 Lord of Destruction
This game beginning with the dark wanderer (A.K.A. "The Warrior" from the last game) destroying Tristram and finally giving somewhat into the control of Diablo. We find out many thing throughout this game about the Soulstones and the plan to corrupt the World Stone at Mt Arriat in the Barbarian highlands of the north. during the way we find out that the prime evils and the lesser evils can not officially be killed. (which is confirmed in a cinematic trailer with the archangels vs the demons in Diablo 3 when Diablo says he can not be killed and will eventually resurface). That they are in fact "upon death" sent to the black abyss to wait for a time when they will respawn back in the burning hells, which supposedly prevents them from coming back to "Sanctuary" (unless summoned or something else happens). Well during the course of the game the Three Prime Evils and Two of the Lesser Evil's are actually vanquished. Mephisto's SoulStone was smashed in Hell first, and then Diablo's after he was defeated. The Third Prime Evil Baal was killed, however it never showed what happened to his partial SoulStone; whether it was destroyed also or, if because it was so damaged; that it couldn't house him at all. ****None the less; AS TYRAEL SAID IN D2LOD ending, "We are too late Mortal, The Worldstone has to be destroyed because Baal had already corrupted it with his touch." the Worldstone was destroyed and DID NOT HOUSE THE SOUL OF BAAL****. So Here we have all three prime evils SENT BACK to the Black Abyss (not hell) and two of the lesser evils sent there as well.
Reply Quote
Diablo 3: well you're all playing it and should have went through the game and have this in your memory already. so ill skip the recap for this and go strait to the list of where the errors are.

Inconsistencies with Diablo - Diablo 2 Lord of Destruction compared to Diablo 3 story Arc:
1) Diablo, Mephisto, Baal, Andariel, Duriel, Belial, Azmodan can not truly be killed. As stated several time in Diablo and Diablo 2 LOD; they are simply sent back to the black abyss to "recharge" if you will until they resurface again. Even the cinematic video of the Angel of Valor KILLING DIABLO, Diablo says he can not be killed and that he will eventually come back! So the Soul stones were created to prevent this process and key them locked away forever....at least that was the plan. So all seven of these being being "killed" doesn't kill them forever; even if they are to be combined into one. The being would just go back into the Black Abyss until it resurfaces!

2) Andariel, duriel, Belial, Azmodan never were cought in a Soul stone before. The only two of these four were Belial and Azmodan. There is no record of Adria preforming such a thing to absorb the souls into any kind of Soulstone what so ever. Heck it doesn't even show her carrying any in Diablo 3 so that she could transfer the souls into the Black soul stone! Not to mention upon death, if the soulstone(s) weren't there right away the essence of the deceased falled lesser evils would migrate immediately into the black abyss which was not Sanctuary. So therefore Adria could not have soul stuffed them into a soulstone, let alone keep them around because she was not where presant when the heros of the Diablo 2 LOD had finished killing each one of them. Keep in mind she said 20 years ago she started to wonder AFTER THE CONFLICT. Not during.... so that would mean all the evils that didn't have a soul stone were already in the abyss. So this is a huge plot error. Plus there is no record of Duriel or Andariel resurfacing and being killed again to be soul stuffed.

3) (this one is in game only of Diablo 3) Zoltan Kulle lived 300ish years before the events of Diablo 3, according to Tyrael in one of the cut scenes. I'd give him 50 years tops before he was killed/seperated from his blood. during that time however, before his dismemberment. He made the black soul stone. This gem was unfinished and had NO SOULS IN IT. So when we finally get it in the current story arc. How is it that Adria said "it contains the souls of Diablo, Mephisto, Baal, Duriel, and Andariel" when he could not have been used because the conflict was 20 years prior not 250-300 years prior and it wasn't complete until 20 years after their deaths!? Plot hole, and also to mention SHE DIDN'T HAVE ANY SOUL STONES WITH HER THAT HAD DURIEL, ANDARIEL, BAAL, MEPHISTO OR DIABLO IN THEM.
A) Plus to add to this one the souls don't wonder around Sanctuary. It is clearly stated that they go back to the black abyss.

4) Diablo could not have resided in Leah the whole time because of a couple reasons
A) At her conception, Diablo was possessing the Warrior/ Prince of Tristram
B) Diablo had not died the second time until after she was born and the dark wonder had already been shredded to pieces at the end of act 3 when Diablo resumed his official form.
C) And Diablo's essence was encased in the Red Soul Stone, hence he was able to possess the Warrior of Diablo 1. If it were "empty" as some have speculated then the guy would have not been possessed.

Hope that helped, any comments? (caps are only to get your attention at those parts not yelling)
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Rogue
1. The smashing of the soulstones sends the Evils to 'The Abyss', a place beyond creation where they could not return. This realm or void is the place where Angels and Demons go when they are permenantly killed for whatever reason, else they normally are reborn in Hell or through the Crystal Spire.

The Soulstones were smashed not only to destroy the demon lords but also because they had corrupted the stones so they could no longer act as a suitable prison. Because of Izual's betrayal, the Three were able to turn their stones into conduits for their power.

2. I think you got some names messed up. But Adria claims she marked the souls of the Evils after they were defeated so they would be automatically drawn into the Black Soulstone upon its completion. However, Adria also claimed that the souls of Andariel, Duriel and Baal stayed in Sanctuary, formless, much like how the Three were during the Dark Exile.

However, you are thinking about it all wrong. Why, precisely are we trusting the word of a traitor again? For all we know Diablo could've been the one who marked all the Evils, himself included, and Adria only took credit to gain our trust.

3. The Black Soulstone was not finished until we revive Zoltun Kulle. If you notice, the moment he finishes you see some things fly into the stone. Those are the souls of the Evils. Adria did not carry the souls with her, nor were they in the stone until that point. The Evils were just marked, so that no matter where they were, they'd be drawn into the stone.

4. Diablo and Adria concieved Leah before Diablo left Tristram to set out, prior to the events of the opening cutscene. However it does not seem to be that Diablo himself resided in Leah, rather it was Diablo's power that was left inside Leah, at least some of it.

Many of these points are mentioned in D3's texts, conversations and journals.
Reply Quote
i understand that, however the things that I said come strait from the video games. I am not stating from extra commentary. The souls during their dark exile had physical form (the Primes). They weren't disembodied spirits. The
1. The smashing of the soulstones sends the Evils to 'The Abyss', a place beyond creation where they could not return. This realm or void is the place where Angels and Demons go when they are permenantly killed for whatever reason, else they normally are reborn in Hell or through the Crystal Spire.
, that is never ever stated, it is stated by the angels as well as diablo that he will come back. they can never be destroyed forever.

plus i didnt get any names messed up as far as I can tell. if i did please point it out... ty
Edited by Lazarus#1244 on 6/4/2012 7:23 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Rogue
06/04/2012 07:22 PMPosted by Lazarus
, that is never ever stated, it is stated by the angels as well as diablo that he will come back. they can never be destroyed forever.

The Book of Cain says this. It may be a retcon, though a small one.

06/04/2012 07:22 PMPosted by Lazarus
plus i didnt get any names messed up as far as I can tell. if i did please point it out... ty

I may've misread.
Edited by Melyria#1246 on 6/4/2012 7:25 PM PDT
Reply Quote
well I am not so sure it's a good thing to retcon anything especially in a game like this one where everyone loves this series...
Reply Quote
by the way if the smashing of the crystals sends them to the abyss where they can never ever come back from. then there is no story either because the soul stones were smashed accept for the large chunk of Baal's.... no matter how you cut that either they are waiting in the abyss to resurface or they are in the abyss and can never come back.... flawed story line in this bit...

however for what it is worth this game was made great if you ignore the butchering of the game....LOL THATS WHY THEY MADE ACT 1 THE BUTCHER THE BOSS *pun*.... they butchered the game LOL
Reply Quote
lol so what do all of you others thing?
Reply Quote
06/04/2012 07:40 PMPosted by Lazarus
by the way if the smashing of the crystals sends them to the abyss where they can never ever come back from

It is never stated that they never come back from the Abyss. Quite the opposite. They actually do come back eventually.

06/04/2012 07:40 PMPosted by Lazarus
then there is no story either because the soul stones were smashed accept for the large chunk of Baal's

This sentence makes no sense to me oO
Reply Quote
oh okay, well simply put that diablo 3's story should never have been written to incorporate what it has in it. The souls of the 5 killed in Diablo 2 LOD would not have "remained in sanctuary" They would have instantly descended back to the abyss where they crawled from. In which there is no way that they could have been summoned back to Sanctuary until they had re-spawned in the Burning Hells.

I think it would have been better if they would have incorporated the story to be the remaining two Brothers only. And that they were trying to set up a kingdom for the prime Evils. And maybe even possibly Diablo could have re-spawned back in Hell and maybe they were trying to summon him back to the world of Sanctuary? Or maybe some other plot.... Anyway now they are gonna have to deal with all seven in one for the rest of eternity re-spawning in the Burning Hells, and the hero of the game can't last/live forever....
Reply Quote
what do you think?
Reply Quote
I think Leah is stupid, is what I think. How could she have been Diablo and not know it? What the heck. Whoever thought of this story (and this character especially) is stupid
Reply Quote
While I agree with many of your points, i think more emphasis should be put on the major plot hole of the game. Which is that it's impossible for any nephalem to exist so soon after the destruction of the Worldstone.

In the Sin War Trilogy (which they still haven't retconned AFAIK), it took Lilith around 250 years until humans were able to manifest nephalem powers (and that was with the Worldstone altered to help in that regard, which one would assume would make it happen faster than having no Worldstone at all).

So from that fact, almost everything that happens in D3 cannot be cannon.
Reply Quote
06/04/2012 07:11 PMPosted by Melyria

So as soon as Mephisto and Diablo's soul stones were destroyed they were sent to the Abyss. Then how did they get into the black soulstone?

2. I think you got some names messed up. But Adria claims she marked the souls of the Evils after they were defeated so they would be automatically drawn into the Black Soulstone upon its completion. However, Adria also claimed that the souls of Andariel, Duriel and Baal stayed in Sanctuary, formless, much like how the Three were during the Dark Exile.

That won't work for Diablo and Mephisto as in point 1 you said their souls were sent to the Abyss. However even if their souls remained where their soulstones were destroyed this would be the Hellforge, which is in the burning hells. I doubt Adria would be able to get there, mark the souls, and escape without Belial or Azmodan (they remained in hell until D3) noticing that someone had fought their way to the Hellforge. It would also be difficult for her to get to the core of Mount Arreat to mark Baal's soul.

Also if Andariel, Duriel, and Baal were in the sanctuary why didn't they possess someone any try to regain their powers? This is what Baal did after being exiled from hell. If they possessed someone then this would make marking their souls much more difficult.

However, you are thinking about it all wrong. Why, precisely are we trusting the word of a traitor again? For all we know Diablo could've been the one who marked all the Evils, himself included, and Adria only took credit to gain our trust.

This fixes some plot holes as it would be much easier for Diablo to mark the all 5 demon lords while they're alive than Adria. However if raises some problems.

1) Why did Diablo teach Adria how to capture the souls of the demon lords? He didn't need her help if he was able to cast this spell himself.

As Azmodan plans to embed the black soulstone in his body and become the prime evil it can be assumed that Diablo wouldn't have to die to become the Prime Evil but he still casts this spell on himself.

2) What happens if the demon lords aren't killed? If there's no one strong enough to kill them then this whole plan will fail.

3) What happens if the demon lords figure out that Diablo has cast a spell on them? I doubt Diablo would do something that would incur the wrath of his brothers and the lesser evils.

4) How can Diablo ensure that the black soulstone is found before the spell wears off or is removed?

5) How can Diablo ensure that he's reborn as the prime evil? If the black soulstone breaks before this happens the demon lords will escape.

6) How can Diablo be sure that Adria and Leah won't betray him or die before all 7 demon lords are captured? If either are killed then there's no way he can be reborn as the prime evil.

Basically this plan has a lot of risks for Diablo if he's caught and is very likely to go wrong.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]