Diablo® III

Blizzard & Internode Local Servers

14 Night Elf Warrior
I have a question that I would like answered not by a blue, but by a real representative of Blizzard. I know that the blues here are just mods, pre-programmed to give public and media friendly responses, and I get that.

For some time now, Internode has publicly expressed their willingness to create and host a server for WOW and other Blizzard products using their games.on.net service, which for many years now has hosted other dedicated servers for other popular games. Anything from Team Fortress to DayZ, they do it and they do it well. The provide great ping for these games too - with DayZ, I rarely get under 40ms.

My question is this... with a capable company like Internode offering a solution to what is clearly a very big issue for Blizzard, one that extends back much further than Diablo, and has been going on for years... why is it that Blizzard has not acted sooner on fixing this issue for its valued customers?

You simply need to search the forums here, and read the information that has been supplied from players on request from Blizzard themselves to see that the overall experience of most Australians is not a good one - anything above 200ms almost always results in unacceptable quality of game play.

I'd love a real response here, but I'm not holding my breath....
Reply Quote
06/05/2012 06:47 PMPosted by prop
Coz they're stingy, money grubbing pricks who don't wanna pay for it. Simple.

LOL, I doubt that's true, but it certainly does feel like that with the way they have been acting, or rather not acting ;)
Reply Quote
14 Night Elf Warrior
06/05/2012 07:23 PMPosted by AusSkiller

LOL, I doubt that's true, but it certainly does feel like that with the way they have been acting, or rather not acting ;)

Id think that with the trouble that they have had in Korea, and the potential trouble brewing over here as they expand their portfolio of games that require sign ins, and rely on distant servers for gameplay, that they would put this as a #1 priority.

That's what I would think anyway, it doesnt seem to be the case at this point...
Reply Quote

^!THIS!^ <BFG>
Reply Quote
Firstly, you will not likey get a response from anyone but blues, greens or other users in this forum so i definitely wouldnt be holding my breath for an answer here as you would not live very long.

Also, i believe someone recently posted some information about the requirements to setup the Blizz infrastructure in a new country. It is not just a "server" that is required as you have stated and not even a server rack full of systems but it basically takes up a small room to host everything required so even with offers from Aus ISP's, the cost is still quite significant.
Reply Quote
14 Night Elf Warrior
Firstly, you will not likey get a response from anyone but blues, greens or other users in this forum so i definitely wouldnt be holding my breath for an answer here as you would not live very long.

Also, i believe someone recently posted some information about the requirements to setup the Blizz infrastructure in a new country. It is not just a "server" that is required as you have stated and not even a server rack full of systems but it basically takes up a small room to host everything required so even with offers from Aus ISP's, the cost is still quite significant.

If I get a response or not, it doesnt matter. Its the principal of it.

As for the set up - I do believe that Internode knew what they were getting themselves into, and as a big provider for online gaming here in Australia, I'm sure that they wouldnt shy away from costs or the challenge of it.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Warrior
Lets say your wish comes true and a server etc is created by a local ISP. Who owns those servers? Who is responsible for them staying up, maintainence etc. It's all very good and well to put them in and set them up, but WHEN there's a problem....who deals with it, the ISP or Blizzard?

Would you want to wait for a Bliz rep to fly out if there's an issue? Would you want the server you play on entirely in the hands of a third party? The whole issue isn't quite as simple as some of you seem to think.
Reply Quote
Lets say your wish comes true and a server etc is created by a local ISP. Who owns those servers? Who is responsible for them staying up, maintainence etc. It's all very good and well to put them in and set them up, but WHEN there's a problem....who deals with it, the ISP or Blizzard?

Would you want to wait for a Bliz rep to fly out if there's an issue? Would you want the server you play on entirely in the hands of a third party? The whole issue isn't quite as simple as some of you seem to think.

You do realise that this already happens with major companies? they ask for whoever hosts to also maange the server hardware. It is a very simple solution. Blizzard would simply set SLA's saying this server requires 99.9% uptime and if internode cannot deliver they get fined, it is a basic setup for how a lot of companies currently do it. I manage servers which require 99% uptime it is not that hard if they sign over the OS and hardware to the ISP, it is already common practice. In the hands of a third party? almost any company worth anything would not have issues with managing third party data and not leaking company sensitive information.
Edited by Faetan#6946 on 6/5/2012 10:22 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Quite simple really, Internode would own, manage and support the servers, which blizzard would pay them for. This might shock you, but the servers you play on now in the US are hosted by AT&T, not bllizzard who outsource their infrastructure hosting to third parties.

This they do not really have a reason not to give us one.
Edited by Faetan#6946 on 6/5/2012 10:23 PM PDT
Reply Quote
06/05/2012 09:03 PMPosted by Topher
It is not just a "server" that is required as you have stated and not even a server rack full of systems but it basically takes up a small room to host everything required so even with offers from Aus ISP's, the cost is still quite significant.

The $20 extra per copy of Diablo 3 that Blizzard charges us would more than cover the cost of local servers and several years worth of operating costs, while still leaving them a nice big bonus to pocket.
Edited by AusSkiller#1817 on 6/5/2012 10:43 PM PDT
Reply Quote
29 Worgen Druid

You do realize were talking about Activision - Blizzard right? It doesn't matter how much the cost is, they can happily afford it.....it's just a matter of business ethics.

Yes, they can afford, but can they make money from it?
Edited by sevens7ar#1558 on 6/5/2012 10:54 PM PDT
Reply Quote
06/05/2012 06:46 PMPosted by Hazbeardii
why is it that Blizzard has not acted sooner on fixing this issue for its valued customers?

I think you got the "valued customer" part totally wrong here.
Reply Quote
14 Night Elf Warrior

I do know this, however the point of this is not that its hard, its that it should have been done in the first place because A) There is infastructure here that allows it, and B) There are companies here that are willing to work WITH Blizzard (Not alone, but with Blizzard) to make this happen.

When they decided that this would be an online product, they should have been prepared. Simple.

You do realize were talking about Activision - Blizzard right? It doesn't matter how much the cost is, they can happily afford it.....it's just a matter of business ethics.

Yes, they can afford, but can they make money from it?

It doesn't matter if they can make money from it. In terms of product delivery, a local server IS part of the product as the game relies on low ping in order to be playable, therefore via way of being the fastest selling game in history, yes... I'd see it as being pretty damn profitable if you ask me.

06/05/2012 10:52 PMPosted by DunkMaster
why is it that Blizzard has not acted sooner on fixing this issue for its valued customers?

I think you got the "valued customer" part totally wrong here.

Nah, we are valued, its just that they think that we are all stupid and will come back time and time again, which is demonstrated by the lack of communication in this forum from the blues, and the lack of action from those higher up at Blizzard.
Reply Quote
Dear McDonalds, I told you I will be willing to sell your cheeseburgers at my local girls guide meetings, why won't you agree to this? Oh, because it's your business and you don't do things just because people offer? Wait, what?
Reply Quote
29 Worgen Druid

It doesn't matter if they can make money from it. In terms of product delivery, a local server IS part of the product as the game relies on low ping in order to be playable, therefore via way of being the fastest selling game in history, yes... I'd see it as being pretty damn profitable if you ask me.

Actually, yes it does matter. As a business they are not going to do anything that will cause them to lose money or come out even. How many people in Australia do you actually think bought this game or got a refund? Any state in the US probably has more people playing Diablo then the whole of Australia......and as for 'In terms of product delivery, a local server IS part of the product'......you signed the ToS and this is not in the ToS, there for it is not a part of the product.
Edited by sevens7ar#1558 on 6/5/2012 11:31 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Warrior
It's not just whether Blizzard can afford it (and you don't know how their business units and budgets are organised), it's also whether an Australian ISP can afford it. Setting up this arrangement costs the hosting ISP plenty of time, and time = money. For something that could easily fall through if Bliz change their minds. All of this done months before the launch of a product which hasn't made any money (pre-orders are not money in the bank). It's not that it can't be done, but it is more complex than most people on the forums seem to think (and you original post would indicate...).

The lack of communication is not unusual for any game company. Any post from an employee can be seen to be "representing" the entire company, which in this case is a listed company. You need any further explanation of the complexities involved in that?
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Warrior
06/05/2012 11:22 PMPosted by Marc
Dear McDonalds, I told you I will be willing to sell your cheeseburgers at my local girls guide meetings, why won't you agree to this? Oh, because it's your business and you don't do things just because people offer? Wait, what?

Err....McDonalds sell franchises. So yes, if you cough up the $1M for a franchise and install it at your local girl guides hall, they might just let you do that.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]