Diablo® III

Thoughts?

AMD FX-8120 3.1GHz Socket AM3+ Eight-Core Desktop Processor

CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory

EVGA GeForce GTX 560 (Fermi) 01G-P3-1460-KR Video Card

GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3 ATX AMD Motherboard

ZALMAN Z11 Plus Black Computer Case With Side Panel Window

Mushkin Enhanced Chronos MKNSSDCR120GB 2.5" MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" SATA 6.0Gb/s Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Total 910$

Should i go with an intel i7 instead??
Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 3000 BX80623I72600K

$314.99 for intel or $179.99 for the AMD
Is it really necessary and worth the difference in price??

Also is there any difference between 4 sticks of 4GB and two sticks of 8GB??
I've been told they work in pairs is that true?

Thanks
Reply Quote
If it was ME, I would go with the i7. But then again, I don't like AMD ANYTHING, so I'd probably end up going with a different motherboard too. I'd probably go for the a new i5 or an i7, and an Asus or MSI motherboard.

The difference between the 4GB and 8GB RAM sticks is just what your motherboard is made to handle. Some motherboards aren't capable of using the 8GB sticks. If your motherboard is capable of more RAM and can use the 8GB sticks though, I would use those, just so you'll have room for more RAM later, if you so desire.

RAM pairing also depends on your motherboard, and you'll have to look at the specifications, but most motherboards are paired, in my experience. =)
Reply Quote
Go with Intel, even if you have to get an i5. The Bulldozer series is HORRENDOUSLY bad, basically the worst chip AMD has ever released (and I say this having been an AMD fan for many years).

Also, almost any mobo nowadays will take 8GB sticks. The real difference comes to what you do later on. 4x4GB means you won't have any slots open to expand later, if you want, meaning you'd have to throw some away.
Edited by VincentLaw#1115 on 6/7/2012 9:57 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
If this is just for gaming, i7 is a waste. Go with an i5.
I wouldn't bother more than 8GB of RAM total if it's just for gaming.

Take some time and read this PC build guide:
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/5592454629
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Hunter
If this is just for gaming, i7 is a waste. Go with an i5.
I wouldn't bother more than 8GB of RAM total if it's just for gaming.

Take some time and read this PC build guide:

True but you can get 16GB of Vengence for around $100, $20 more than 8GB, if it was me I'd go for the AMD rid (I'm an AMD fan who lives in Intel's back yard), except I would change the video card to a 560 Ti (384 core or 448 core). All it comes down to is how much you want to spend.

You could however get an AM3+ Board, 4-Core FX CPU, and 8GB of RAM, and have something that will be upgradable for quite awhile.

PC Building guides are really cool, but most people are fans of whatever components they have had the best luck with. I could create a PC build guide that would be completely different than the one that you posted, but it would still be just as good.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
$20 more? A decent 2x 4GB set is $48ish. o_O

As much as I'd love to support AMD, right now, there is zero reason to support them when Intel owns them so bad in CPU-bound games.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Hunter
$20 more? A decent 2x 4GB set is $48ish. o_O

As much as I'd love to support AMD, right now, there is zero reason to support them when Intel owns them so bad in CPU-bound games.

My bad, I only buy Corsair memory, and with tight timings so I was thinking (decent in my mind) memory.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145344

I don't like Intel because I have worked for them 5 times since 1995, they treat their contract employees like dirt. I haven't worked for AMD, but AMD has always worked for me. Never had a single problem with AMD. They may not be "blazing fast", but really, my Phenom II and my nVidia 9800GT run both WoW and D3 on max, so why do I need to spend twice as much money for an Intel CPU?
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
Yeah, tight timings is great to have for enthusiasts that want to eke out that 1% more performance, but for average gamers, I don't think that's worth the money spent for them.

You don't have to spend that much for an Intel CPU anymore.

FYI, i3-2120 ($128 CPU part) easily beats all AMD CPUs including more expensive AMD FX-8150 in CPU-bound games like WoW and SC2. i5-2300 ($180 part) will beat them even more.
Edited by Ehrengarde#1143 on 6/7/2012 10:58 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Hunter
An i3 does not beat all AMD CPUs, wow you're an Intel fanboy. Keep dreaming.

I have a degree in IT, I guess I've been building PCs wrong all these years.
Edited by BillieJackFu#1990 on 6/7/2012 11:08 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
IE)
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-fx-pentium-apu-benchmark,3120-6.html
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/434?vs=289&i=60.61.62.129

AMD's only hope is Piledriver. Bulldozer as it is, is not any better than existing Phenom II CPUs, which were designed to compete against Intel's first gen Nehalem architecture CPUs.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Hunter
IE, Tom's Hardware has always been weighted heavy on Intel, always. You're not going to get a unbiased review on TH.

Nice try though.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
I find it funny you accuse me of being an Intel fanboy. If you actually looked through posts I made:

1) I always recommend AMD A-Series APUs for budget laptops
2) I always recommend Radeon cards for low to mid-level budget users
3) I make hopeful tones about upcoming Piledriver / Trinity releases
4) Etc...

I only care about what is the best bang for the money for a given segment.
Edited by Ehrengarde#1143 on 6/7/2012 11:30 AM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]