Diablo® III

String of ears worth it?

I got a fairly decent belt now but the melee damage reduction is pretty insane worth it?
Reply Quote
honestly i had a very good string of ears with 40 dex 40 vit 19% melee reduction and i swtiched too a much higher dps belt and felt no difference in incoming dmg.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Druid
The melee damage reduction only really helps against elites that have melee, as generally other melee mobs will die too fast from aoe like crippling wave/sweeping wind, or be constantly knockbacked by fists of thunder's third hit. I'd say it's situationally useful, and the high melee reduction is it's only useful quality, making so if you do buy it, it would be better to equip when you need it, and use an overall better belt when you don't.
Reply Quote
06/12/2012 02:23 AMPosted by lambz
honestly i had a very good string of ears with 40 dex 40 vit 19% melee reduction and i swtiched too a much higher dps belt and felt no difference in incoming dmg.

I had heard damage reduction might be very nerfed in inferno or not maybe not working at all.

If so that really sucks.

Edit: I'm getting pretty tired of all the hidden nerfs to certain stats on inferno btw.
Edited by Boomstar#1294 on 6/12/2012 2:26 AM PDT
Reply Quote
imo it's not worth the price. I mean 20 reduction really isn't that much as it's only from melee attacks. The majority of the damage I take comes from ranged enemies and elemental attacks. I can pretty much tank the majority of melee attacks without any additional reduction. SoE is probably only really a great belt if you get a really good one, but for the money you spend, 10 million minimum, you can get a pretty sweet yellow with much higher stats, and even a 10 million SoE is still pretty low end. If you want a good one you have to spend like 20+ which is just crazyness for a belt that's got such low stats and armor imo. It'd be like the last piece of gear I buy after I have everything else I want.
Edited by emitnulB#1421 on 6/12/2012 5:39 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Spent 12m on mine and I would say its best in slot! I notice a difference with mine.
Reply Quote
I don't even take damage from melee except for things that have retardedly slow swing times and would 1 shot me if I left them hit me.

So...string of ears is out for me...

I have a lot more trouble with the aoe magic affixes. Especially fire chains and molten.

I'd rather have 5% chance to freeze or just more raw stats for my belt.

Chance to freeze is bugged btw...it works on treasure goblins...its silly.
Reply Quote
I'd tend to agree that it is highly overrated. Its other stats are really low. If you try playing around with an EHP calculator you can get a feel for how well it works. For the cost of a good one you can get a really really nice rare belt that will provide slightly less protection against melee, but more dps and far more protection against ranged attacks and molten/firechains/other things that actually kill you.

@Peli I have to agree. Freeze is incredibly awesome.

http://rubensayshi.github.com/d3-ehp-calculator/#calculator
Reply Quote
A little searching:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5271604402?page=8#141

here's my full write-up on string...you can check the initial post for lots of useful math.

At posters above: DO NOT USE EHP to calculate monk builds, just doesn't work for us.
Edited by Byron#1690 on 6/12/2012 7:24 AM PDT
Reply Quote
A little searching:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5271604402?page=8#141

here's my full write-up on string...you can check the initial post for lots of useful math.

At posters above: DO NOT USE EHP to calculate monk builds, just doesn't work for us.

Yes damage reduction scales with your current stats, which EHP shows. The important point though is that it only works for melee in the case of string. If melee damage is killing you, you are either undergeared for what you are doing, letting yourself get surrounded or standing in big smash attacks that you are supposed to be dodging.
Reply Quote
Personal opinion; it'll work well if you picked it up and starting inferno with not a lot of resists or armor. If you're lucky enough to pick it up, use it until you can afford a better belt. That's what I did lol but it's hard to find buyers.

Anyone want mine for 2 mill? :P
Reply Quote
String of ears sucks big times, with my old belt i die in 5 sec in act 3 (not from elites) with string of ears i die in 3 sec
Reply Quote
Ehhh, I've been thinking about buying a SoE since all my other gear is pretty good. But I'd be taking a big hit to my resistances and other stats unless I want to spend 15m on one.
Reply Quote
- Diablo III (Monk)
View profile
It is pretty amazing imo. Auto attacks are one of the only forms of damage that can't be avoided in D3 and ranged attacks do terrrrrible dmg anways.
18-20% dmg redux works out to an INSANE amount of armor.

Best in slot for me as well.

Note: dmg redux, unlike armor, becomes MORE effective the more you have. Each additional point gives MORE EHP on the margin!

SS + SoE = winning.
Reply Quote
06/15/2012 10:05 AMPosted by Druin
ranged attacks do terrrrrible dmg anways

Go get hit by a bee in act 2...or an elite quillback in act 3. They do way more damage than a melee (except for the ones that broadcast for half an hour before swinging).

SoE isn't very good IMO.

Even a perfectly rolled 20% melee dr one is pretty "meh" in my book.

Melee mobs are easy mode anyway...its CC+AoE magic combos that are the issue for most players.

Ranged monster tend to deal significantly more damage than melee anyway. The only "melee" damage I remember being an issue for me all the way through inferno was the elite nagas in act 2, phase beasts in act 3 and the OPpressor's charge attack (if that's even considered melee) in act 4. Running a belt that helps with 3 mobs across 3 acts is just a dumb idea.

Every extra 100 resist/1000 armor reduces income damage by 25% from all sources...I'd rather get a belt with much higher resists/armor than the SoE and enjoy 10% less incoming damage from all sources due to the stat difference.

I can name 100 things that I hated more than those melee mobs and they all were some form of elemental damage or ranged.
Edited by Peli#1747 on 6/15/2012 10:40 AM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]