Diablo® III

HDD Major-Stuttering Solved (Second Thread)

NOW I HAVE TO BUY A MOTHER %$^&* FLASH DRIVE TO PLAY THIS GAME???

Make sure its 16GB because 8GB wont work.

lol im not buying it at all. if i need to buy a flash drive to play it now then blizz just gave me a lawsuit. thank you.
Reply Quote
Nice solution but i don't think i need to pay more to play this game...already paid enough...Blizz should FIX that. None the less nice work on getting it fixed OP.
Reply Quote
Bad News:

Looks like my HDD is starting to show signs of failure. My normal Windows operations are taking too long. The entire system has slowed down because of my HDD. I did many virus checks and spyware, so that's not it. I did some surface scans using HDDScan (free utility), and noticed about 10 red bocks (response time >500ms) half way through the scan. Scan results were getting worse and worse, so I cancelled the operation since I already know the HDD is not looking good. A healthy HDD should not give you any scan results beyond 100ms.
Even "System" related read/writes to HDD are showing between 1,000-5,000ms read response time (RRT), when they should be less than 10ms.

My windows scan disc now takes up to 3 hours to complete.

Toshiba will not service their "Toshiba HDD" as long as Windows starts up (I suspect other companies do the same). Significant HDD slow-downs are not part of the warranty.

I'm going to do a full system restore to eliminate any software error possibilities.

Wondering if anyone else is worried about their HDD slowly failing ?

Hopefully, this problem is only related to my computer.

I'll keep you guys updated.
Reply Quote
Been having this problem regularly with D3 since it came out on multiple drives and multiple OSes, but all are very fast SSDs, so the "solution" listed clearly isn't going to work for me. Anyone else know of any reason for or solutions to this issue? i7 2600 and GTX 570, so it's not like underpowered HW is the problem either...
Edited by sabrewulf#1159 on 6/24/2012 2:42 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Guys,

Run a READ scan on your HDD/SSD using HDDscan:
www.hddscan.com

If you notice results that look like this:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/66658875@N08/6062410145/in/photostream
Then, your HDD/SSD is starting to show signs of failure ..

If you notice results that look like this:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/66658875@N08/6062410057/in/photostream
Then, you better back up your data and replace your HDD/SSD soon.
Reply Quote
Some stuttering problems "like the one I'm facing" are hardware faults that are not apparent unless you run diagnostic tests (or stress tests).

Run diagnostic tests on your HDD/SSD and memory modules.
Reply Quote
Hello everybody. After 1 month and few days i got solution for me. Like every time , random luck but finaly, finaly i can play D3 on hi-settings. I just changed resolution from 1152x864 windowed and after few minutes playing ( Italia won shootout ) i changed res back to fullsceen windowed. No stuttering more, no fps drop ( maybe 1s in 10min ). After then i have made a screenshot for evidence, then i saw , holy shidt i am playin on 1920x1080 high settings :D Ok no problem thank you mr. random luck of wtf bug. Blizzard please dont fix this thx. Im not trolling http://img24.eu/images/os5gxuy.jpg
Just try it !!! Oh god oooh god so long time... ( bad english bad )
Phenom II x4 955Be 3.2Ghz
4GB DDR3 Ram
EAH 5770 1Gb
Reply Quote
Hello everybody. After 1 month and few days i got solution for me. Like every time , random luck but finaly, finaly i can play D3 on hi-settings. I just changed resolution from 1152x864 windowed and after few minutes playing ( Italia won shootout ) i changed res back to fullsceen windowed. No stuttering more, no fps drop ( maybe 1s in 10min ). After then i have made a screenshot for evidence, then i saw , holy shidt i am playin on 1920x1080 high settings :D Ok no problem thank you mr. random luck of wtf bug. Blizzard please dont fix this thx. Im not trolling http://img24.eu/images/os5gxuy.jpg
Just try it !!! Oh god oooh god so long time... ( bad english bad )
Phenom II x4 955Be 3.2Ghz
4GB DDR3 Ram
EAH 5770 1Gb

Check your hardware class in D3Prefs, see if it changed at all. This happens switching from windowed to fullscreen. It's not really a fix since what it did was lower the quality of effects.
Reply Quote
06/24/2012 06:41 PMPosted by Kyon
Check your hardware class in D3Prefs

DisplayModeUIOptWidth "1152"
DisplayModeUIOptHeight "864"
DisplayModeWidth "1920"
DisplayModeHeight "1080"
DisplayModeRefreshRate "75"
HardwareClass "1"
DisableTrilinearFiltering "1"
I dont realy understand this therefore i think its bug, i just changed resolution from 1440x900 to 1152x864 windowed and than to windowed fullscreen. Although the video setting show 1152x864 , the game run on 1920x1080.
Reply Quote
Yeah, i didnt buy my car with the expectation that i would have to learn auto mechanics after a month of owning it.
I paid my money for a game that would CONTINUE to work long after i purchased it.
BTW, i equate Diablo 3 patches to Automobile recalls. If i took my car to the dealer because of a recall on part of the electrical system and they worked on it, then a week later my car dies completely and nothing electrical works in my car? Guess whose problem that is? THE DEALER'S!!! Not mine!!! I didn't do it!

Anyway, i'm not doing ANY of these involved, intricate, convoluted fixes that involve screwing with my PC because i shouldn't friggin have to!!!
My game worked 100% perfectly on Max settings until the day the last patch was released. end of story!
And please, for the Love of God people, STOP acting like those of us with these problems have had them since launch day!!! STOP IT!

Also at this point, anyone who STILL continually insists that these problems stem solely from my end, with my PC or ISP, ect. I am just going to assume is a company Shill associated with Blizzard who is trying to downplay any problems with this game...either that or your even worse, a Blizzard fanboy brownnoser who spends his time trashing other people's forum threads/posts that may be perceived as negative and could tarnish your precious game company!!!

Ok, This is my favorite game right now. period. I Love Diablo 3...the game...I could give 2 sh*ts about Blizzard. They already have my money!
Reply Quote
I don't feel I should have to do this.

I don't understand. I've been playing since start date until 3 days ago and the game ran beautifully...

Why would I be having this problem now all of a sudden?

I refuse to think its because of a slow hard drive. If that were the case, i would have had issues on day one.

Amen to that.
I find it funny that pre 1.03 everything was fine and post 1.03 it's "My PC's Fault" lol ..yeah i don't buy that.
Reply Quote
Patch tomorrow? Probably not after that big one, but we need more pc improvement fixes!
Reply Quote
100 Orc Shaman
06/25/2012 08:12 AMPosted by Ayperos
Patch tomorrow? Probably not after that big one, but we need more pc improvement fixes!

Will it be a patch tomorrow?
Reply Quote
Had stuttering issue since release tried dozens of possible fixes none of which worked was totally fed up so went out and bought a thumb drive to try this and sure enough it worked no more stuttering and the initial load is so much smoother now so thank you OP.

It's pretty ridiculous though that I had to resort to this, I have over 500 games on Steam alone and not a single one of them has stuttering issues. They need to fix this !@#$ we shouldn't have to go out and buy more hardware if are existing hardware is well above the required specs.

Either change the requirements or fix your %^-* Blizz.
Reply Quote
running a i7, 6gb ram, MSI 560 TI-HAWK. on 1920x1080, all on high except shadow. usb flash fix it. inital stutter and that it. somehow it messed up my fps, it reading 0 but then the game is running smoothly.
Reply Quote

Make sure its 16GB because 8GB wont work.

lol im not buying it at all. if i need to buy a flash drive to play it now then blizz just gave me a lawsuit. thank you.

U have to buy the flash if you don't wanna burn your hard drive :P
I'm doing a scan with hddscan, to see how the hdd looks like . Till now (30%) it found 270 green 120 orange and 6 red(>500ms) sectors, this doesn't look good :D
Btw isn't better if i simply install diablo on the flash ? Why move the files ?
Edited by TntRose69#2310 on 6/26/2012 5:59 PM PDT
Reply Quote
U have to buy the flash if you don't wanna burn your hard drive :P
I'm doing a scan with hddscan, to see how the hdd looks like . Till now (30%) it found 270 green 120 orange and 6 red(>500ms) sectors, this doesn't look good :D
Btw isn't better if i simply install diablo on the flash ? Why move the files ?

So it looks like your HDD is also starting to fail ?
You should immediately start backing up any important files.

I'm currently in the process of doing a full "factory Restore" on my laptop. The process has been going for over 4.5 hours now, but its about to be done. Normally, this shouldn't take more than 2 hours, but I guess we'll wait and see.

Anyone else ran HDDscan ?
Wondering if a lot of us have this similar problem ?
Reply Quote
Update (more bad news):

After doing a full factory restore on my laptop, I ran HDDscan, and the results were equally disappointing as my previous scan (prior to restore). In fact, they might even be worse. At only 13% complete, I'm already getting 82(Green), 6(Orange), and 13(Red), and these numbers are increasing as I type.

I'm very unhappy with Toshiba's laptop policy: "as long as windows boots, we do not consider the hardware to be faulty." Try applying this concept to anything else, and see if it makes any sense .. "If the car moves, then the engine has no faults"

I'm 100% sure now that my stuttering problem originated from my faulty HDD.
I hope this is not the case for everyone else ... :/

Now I need to buy a new HDD, and reinstall everything ..

Lesson learned: Always run a diagnostic scan on any HDD you purchase (even new), and immediately return it if it has slow or bad sectors. Avoid refurbished HDD at any given cost.

If Toshiba replaced this HDD they would refurbish it (delete access to slow sectors) and sell it to someone else or probably put it in a new laptop (like the one they sold me). HDDscan shows that the built in self monitoring utility (S.M.A.R.T) indicates that a repair (reallocated sectors) already exist on the drive.

Maybe I just got a lemon, or maybe this is how they salvage returned HDD nowadays ... ?
Reply Quote
I'm 100% sure now that my stuttering problem originated from my faulty HDD.
I hope this is not the case for everyone else ... :/

Run HDDscan, and let us all know what you get ?
http://www.hddscan.com/

Do a Surface test > (Read) scan, and let us know what you get ?

You can also try HD Tune Pro (trial version), but this does not show slow cluster read delays. However, the read scan takes about a minute to complete, and you can look at the graph for any sudden very low peaks (steep drops).
http://www.hdtune.com/
Edited by Edstroyer#1680 on 6/29/2012 9:04 AM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]