Diablo® III

HDD Major-Stuttering Solved (Second Thread)

Anyway, it is good to know that Blizzard is working on a fix / solution.
I just wish they could talk to us more frequently about what is going on with this issue.

"Hope" such an interesting driving force. I wonder if its only exclusive to Humans ...
Reply Quote
While I am glad that this solution appears to be working for some, it is a bit extreme to have to do just to play this mediocre game.

Also, it does not make much sense that writing to the HDD is the main culprit for the stuttering. My comp ran the game without incident up until 1.0.3. This to me says it is a coding issue most likely with something in the patch.
Reply Quote
While I am glad that this solution appears to be working for some, it is a bit extreme to have to do just to play this mediocre game.

Also, it does not make much sense that writing to the HDD is the main culprit for the stuttering. My comp ran the game without incident up until 1.0.3. This to me says it is a coding issue most likely with something in the patch.

Here is an experiment for you:

- Start a game ALONE, and play for 2 minutes. If you don't experience any stuttering, then this is not related to your HDD.

Here is another note for you:

- If you occasionally have stuttering, rubber-banding, glitches, or short freezing, but its not consistent (consistent = cyclic = at very defined events or time intervals). Then this is just network latency spikes (or lag-spikes).

The only way to tell is to run diagnostics on your HDD and network latency.

How awesome would it be if there was a built in diagnostic tool in Diablo, which shows you HDD RRT, Network Latency, CPU Usage, and Memory Consumption diagnosis + running history graphs of each. Then the game would give you a simple score similar to Windows Experience Index.

Meh ...
Reply Quote
06/29/2012 11:19 AMPosted by Edstroyer
How awesome would it be if there was a built in diagnostic tool in Diablo, which shows you HDD RRT, Network Latency, CPU Usage, and Memory Consumption diagnosis + running history graphs of each. Then the game would give you a simple score similar to Windows Experience Index.
then people would be raging about hwop it uses too much CPU in general, which is does lol. it uses 30% of all 4 of my cores just being alt+tab'd out at the main menu
Reply Quote
Here's my HD tune results

http://i48.tinypic.com/2945lz9.png

How do i fare?

Looks pretty good. No spikes at all, and your average access time is pretty low.
I would say if you are experiencing any stuttering its not because of a faulty HDD.

Do a windows scan disk and defrag just in case (do NOT defrag if you are using SSD). It might speed things up for you.

Did you try OP solution ? Did it help you ?

Can you please do a surface scan using HDDscan and post your result (you don't have to run it too long if you don't want to.. about 25-50% is fine)
Edited by Edstroyer#1680 on 7/1/2012 6:46 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Here's my HD tune results

http://i48.tinypic.com/2945lz9.png

How do i fare?

In fact, I would go as far as saying your HD-Tune-Pro results are "really good".

Just curious to what HDDscan will say in this regard ?
We might find something deeper ? ...perhaps few slow clusters undetectable by HD-Tune-Pro ?
Reply Quote
Bump ! Thank again for your support Edstroyer !
Reply Quote
He everyone, i have a 2600k, gtx 570 and i run diablo on a sdd samsung830 (not the same of the OS), this is my result:
http://i50.tinypic.com/2nusrag.jpg
Great i think, but i stutter like hell every 20 second.... i don't understand why, maybe is my internet connection? the game use 50% of my GPU and 40% of CPU with Vsync on... I try every solution... any help is appreciated....
Reply Quote
Just an f.y.i. If you have an SSD drive, DO NOT defrag it.

They work entirely different than normal/spindle drives. Defraging an SSD will slow it down.

Fortunately Win7 is smart enough to usually turn off defrag on an SSD drive.
Reply Quote
He everyone, i have a 2600k, gtx 570 and i run diablo on a sdd samsung830 (not the same of the OS), this is my result:
http://i50.tinypic.com/2nusrag.jpg

Your SSD results look fantastic. Your SSD is NOT the problem.

Unfortunately, the game occasionally uses files outside the Diablo installation directory (ex: C:\Windows\SysWOW64 ... ). In other words, it will try to access the drive your OS is installed on. I'm not sure what these files are (I remember one of them was D3D). I had aprint-screen picture of the listed files under Resource Monitor >Disk, but now they are gone because I formatted my Laptop HDD.

Scan the OS drive, and post your results.
Reply Quote
This is the result form my OS drive...
http://i46.tinypic.com/o9obhe.png
Reply Quote

Here is an experiment for you:

- Start a game ALONE, and play for 2 minutes. If you don't experience any stuttering, then this is not related to your HDD.

Here is another note for you:

- If you occasionally have stuttering, rubber-banding, glitches, or short freezing, but its not consistent (consistent = cyclic = at very defined events or time intervals). Then this is just network latency spikes (or lag-spikes).

The only way to tell is to run diagnostics on your HDD and network latency.

Meh ...

You are correct. I had ran those very tests prior to posting in the many threads about stuttering and my rig comes out fine. While I do not use a SDD, I do have a primary gaming drive which is more than sufficient for a game such as this.

Also, latency problems are usually network related I agree, BUT this appears to be something completely different. The spike is usually high and over relatively quick and as I stated before I had no problems prior to patch 1.0.3. Therefore, I have to assume that there is faulty coding in the patch or some sort of application running on their servers that interferes with gameplay or communication between my client and their server.
Reply Quote
This is the result form my OS drive...
http://i46.tinypic.com/o9obhe.png

While there is a large variance in Read rates (~+100MB/s), I don't think it is the main problem. However, you should probably look into that. Try running the test again, and see if you get significantly different results. Maybe the OS is effecting the scan operation.

From what I can see, I would say you are experiencing network latency that resembles stuttering. I don't think your problem is SSD related.

As someone mentioned earlier, if you have an SSD, do NOT defrag it.
Reply Quote
You are correct. I had ran those very tests prior to posting in the many threads about stuttering and my rig comes out fine. While I do not use a SDD, I do have a primary gaming drive which is more than sufficient for a game such as this.

Also, latency problems are usually network related I agree, BUT this appears to be something completely different. The spike is usually high and over relatively quick and as I stated before I had no problems prior to patch 1.0.3. Therefore, I have to assume that there is faulty coding in the patch or some sort of application running on their servers that interferes with gameplay or communication between my client and their server.

Since you sound like you know what you are doing, why not run "Resource Monitor" while playing the game in window mode, and observe the RRT (read response time) of your HDD. When you see a bad stutter look at the RRT numbers, or better yet, take a print-screen shot and post it. This will at least tell you if your stuttering problem is HDD related or network latency.

Others experiencing stuttering can try the same thing too.
Edited by Edstroyer#1680 on 7/1/2012 10:42 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Do I have to do those steps every time I start the game or restarted my windows? or it's a one and for all solution?
Reply Quote
I think I am having about 15 ms per resource monitor, is it high?
Reply Quote
07/01/2012 10:03 AMPosted by Weirdo
Do I have to do those steps every time I start the game or restarted my windows? or it's a one and for all solution?

No, its just a one time test.
Reply Quote
07/01/2012 10:12 AMPosted by Weirdo
I think I am having about 15 ms per resource monitor, is it high?

15 ms is not too bad.. If you are running the game at high FPS (60-100FPS), then you will need less than 6-10ms RRT. A range (min, max, estimated average ) would be more helpful.

You should also monitor/note the worse case scenario RRT (max) because that would be the culprit.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]