Diablo® III

HDD Major-Stuttering Solved (Second Thread)

i did mpq file on my second hdd and linke it but its kind old hdd. Anyway it didnt make it better or worst for me. Nothing .. if anyhting i was expecting this will make it worst. But nope noting changed.
So i wonder if there is sense in buying flash 16 GB to try this fix . I dont have money right now and i wont have any use of this flash later .
What do you think ?
If i put mpq on other , little older hdd , and there was 0 chagne is it suttering problem or some server coneciton or somethign else?
i heard that some mobs and animation need to check in with server or load from server , something like that .
Reply Quote
[/quote]So you bought the game, and now you have to fix it? Nice I have some broken stuff I want to sell you at full price.[/quote]

Seriously haven't you ever helped someone out before with something you didn't own or given anyone help before?

How about instead of trolling the forums you try and do something useful like Ed has done and share info that helps others.
Reply Quote
So i wonder if there is sense in buying flash 16 GB to try this fix . I dont have money right now and i wont have any use of this flash later .

You can check Window's "Resource Monitor" (under: Accessories > System tools). Click on the [Disk] tab, check-mark the Diablo process. Then, observe the Read Response Times (RRT) as you move your character around and kill stuff. You will need to have the game running in "window mode".

If you get RRT's greater than 20ms, then you are experiencing stuttering because of slow or faulty HDD.

If you are running the game on high FPS (60-120FPS), then you will notice "micro" stuttering if your RRT is greater than 10ms.

I would say it is safe to "assume", for anyone that wants to run the game on high FPS (80 -120 FPS and above), you will need an SSD. This does not take into consideration "Latency", which is Network related, not HDD/SSD related
Edited by Edstroyer#1680 on 7/2/2012 3:38 PM PDT
Reply Quote
What do the 3 letters "L.L.L" mean to Diablo ?

Laten .... (rubber-band) ....cy
Laten .... (2 sec freeze) .....cy
Laten ......( Dead ) ............cy

It's hard to keep up when Millions are playing :).
Edited by Edstroyer#1680 on 7/2/2012 4:05 PM PDT
Reply Quote
i dont know how to read it . when i check diablo.exe there is few proces of it in lower tab .
Most of them is on 9 or below .
There is procces datacore is around 15 ms most of the time.
There is also one procces MPQ/clientdata and is also around 15 .. i am not surwich one but one of them jump over 20 for few moemnts somtiems
but when it have 20 i dont see in game any kind of lag its later when i walk and there is more procces of diablo and they have around and below 9 ms then i see lags.

there is also other proces that shows up and hve highger close to 20 ms .. its also in MPQ/cache/base/patchbase and sume numbers .
so ithink overall if i would have to sum it up i would say 12 ms RRT is what i have .
but i test game on different pc but same router and it hade the same kind of laging with the same intensity and very much simliar situations .
so its more likely network , right ? what do you think ?
do you have also some thread about network issue ?

I saw with this monitor thingy some spikes on chart . when diablo was runing ..

btw. man you are awesome thanks for your time !
Edited by isosBob#2461 on 7/2/2012 6:08 PM PDT
Reply Quote
i dont know how to read it . when i check diablo.exe there is few proces of it in lower tab .
Most of them is on 9 or below .

These numbers indicate that you are using a HDD. At 9ms RRT, if you are running the game at 60 FPS or lower, then you should not be stuttering because of your HDD. This is because in your worse case 20ms RRT, your FPS would drop down to (1000ms/20ms = 50 FPS ), so if you are running the game at 60FPS and it drops to 50FPS, then you wont notice a stutter because the difference is not huge (10 frames).

However, it would be a different story if you were running the game at 120 FPS, and the 20ms RRT drops it down to 50FPs ... now you will notice a sudden change in FPS (or stuttering). You see, its a "relative" thing.

07/02/2012 06:06 PMPosted by isosBob
its later when i walk and there is more procces of diablo and they have around and below 9 ms then i see lags

07/02/2012 06:06 PMPosted by isosBob
so its more likely network , right ? what do you think ?

If your RRT is 9ms when you are stuttering, then its a network lag (latency).

Other sources of stuttering could be:

• 1) Network Lag (latency)
  • --a) Latency due to Blizzard servers being overwhelmed with number of players online.
    --b) Windows updates in the background
    --c) You are running bit torrents while playing
    --d) Your ISP has a low quality of service (or you have a slow monthly service)
    --e) Other users on your network are using most of the bandwidth (Youtube/downloads)
  • 2) Viruses on your computer
  • 3) Graphics card getting hot, can't keep up, or incompatible drivers with Diablo

• 07/02/2012 06:06 PMPosted by isosBob
    do you have also some thread about network issue ?

No, sorry, I don't, but there are many if you search for them on Blizzard forums. As far as latency, in my opinion, there's nothing much we (the players) can do about it, other than make sure we have a fast internet connection.

Network latencies that are not caused by Blizzard are not that easy to figure out. Maybe there are softwares out there that can trace your packets and record round trip time, but I'm not aware of them.
    Reply Quote
    BTW:

The OP solution will still significantly help you if you are running the game on high FPS (80-120FPS or above). It will offer around 5ms RRT or better. The "MPQ" is the most used folder by the game; in fact, its almost always used. However, Diablo seems to "occasionally" access files outside the installation directory (noticed this after 1.0.3 patch). When that happens, you will stutter.

So the OP solution will significantly reduce stuttering but not completely eliminate it. So, if I were to make up a statistical number on the spot (just like everyone else does), I would say 90% improvement :), especially for those running high FPS (80 and above).
    Reply Quote
    hey man thanks you are awesome !

yea i have everthing tuned off on network upates etc. but with some upate or some downloads it would be one time thing and random not somehow systematic and constant.
    i got fast net 2MB so i think if anything there is maybe ISP problem but no way to see that . I will try other threads ... still after a week :/
    Reply Quote
    Its kinda weird, i have an SSD and i'm stuttering too. I'm gonna wait until Blizz fix this because i don't have any 16GB usb drive.
    Reply Quote
    07/03/2012 07:18 AMPosted by Arkaine
    Its kinda weird, i have an SSD and i'm stuttering too. I'm gonna wait until Blizz fix this because i don't have any 16GB usb drive.

Most likely then gettign a usb flash drive won't solve your issue and instead it's something else that's causing your problem.

Can you post your system specs and isp?
    Reply Quote
    seven 7 64 pro
    cpu i7 950 3,07 Ghz
    gpu evga 480gtx 1,5Mb (53°idle 86°load) last drivers
    ram 6go Gskill 7-8-7-24
    ssd ocz vertex 2 120go (d3 on it) with 40go left
    2 hdd 1TB/640gb for datas
    1920x1080 16/9

I tried every settings from high to low, my hardwareclass is set to 6 by default. The game was smooth until 1.0.3.

I'm living in France and playing on EU server. My ISP is Free and i have an average of 40-50ms.

The thing i didn't understand is my gpu card temp, in Street Fighter 4 AE in menu i'm at 65° but in Diablo 3 menu i'm like in load (84-86°). In game or in menu, temp is the same.
    Edited by Arkaine#2233 on 7/3/2012 8:32 AM PDT
    Reply Quote
    07/03/2012 08:08 AMPosted by Arkaine
    ssd ocz vertex 2 120go (d3 on it) with 40go left

I remember Tom's Hardware did an article on this SSD, you should check it out:
    Title: The OCZ Vertex 2 Conspiracy: Lost Space, Lost Speed?
    Link: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ocz-vertex-2-25nm-ssd,2867.html

I wouldn't completely rule out the possibility of this particular SSD causing the stuttering (it doesn't have a good reputation). Start with monitoring your RRT while playing (described in previous posts). You should also do some diagnostics as described in previous posts (HDDscan, HD Tune Pro).

07/03/2012 08:08 AMPosted by Arkaine
    The game was smooth until 1.0.3.

I "suspect" that most of it is Network Latency, since they made ACT2 and ACT3 (Inferno) playable and lucrative to farm (or so players believe).
    Reply Quote
    Arkaine

HI ! I see someone with an SSD have this problem solved with the USB key. Maybe because the system are also on the SSD.

En français : J'ai vu qqun avait aussi un SSD et la clef USB a tout réglé. Ça vaut la peine de tester. Pour faire simple, tu copie simplement tout le dossier du jeu sur ta clef, et tu pars le jeu de là....

le truc bizarre c'est que j'ai un monstre en config (i7 960, 8go ram, GTX480 et surtout le jeu installé sur mon SSD) et pourtant c'est bien la fête à neuneu durant ma première heure de jeu à cause de ces fichus freezes...

Sans trop de conviction j'ai testé la manip sur une clé 16Go USB2...
    PROBLÈME RÉSOLUS !

Franchement, je n'y croyais pas mais ça fait du bien !
    http://forum.judgehype.com/judgehype/Diablo-III/problemes-ralentissements-stuttering-sujet_1620_1.htm
    Reply Quote
    Or... you could just buy a cheap 64GB SSD and install D3 there. I've seen prices as low as $50 lately.
    Reply Quote
    Sorry if my english hurt you, i'm trying to improve it !

Thanks Constasio, i will try this as soon as i get a 16GB usb drive.

Just to see the differences between my problem with an SSD and yours with an HDD i tried to copy my D3 folder on my HDD... I think i'm not gonna complain anymore, this is night and day, with my SSD stuttering are here but its not really annoying, i mean i can play with some little jerks. With the game on my HDD its just unplayable.

Hope Blizz will fix this.
    Reply Quote
    i came back to this suttering issue think i might be wrng and my hdd is lame
    i just reinstaled game on different hdd on the same pc
    and when i run diagnostic tool and monitor rrt it is below 9 ms on all diablo 3 procces on this d: but there are showing up new procces connected with dialbo that use again system disk C: and one of them sometimes have 20 ms .
    so hdd suttering ? or not ?

i have even start thinking that if that would be case i could consdier buying new hdd i can always use old one as storage for all my work and collections.
    Edited by isosBob#2461 on 7/3/2012 9:28 AM PDT
    Reply Quote
    When I click on my desktop to start up diablo 3 I get this error now

A3C3518D-8084-419B-ABC3-1A86908BAA7D

someone help?
    Reply Quote
    someone help me! I keep getting erros and my game wont open
    Reply Quote
    Ok got diablo to open...but this solution made my stuttering 10 times worse!!!!

maybe I did something wrong? Their is still an MPQ folder under my C drive program files but it has a little arrow on it and when I click it it shows a lock on all the items on the folder.
    Reply Quote
    Hi !

Just rename the original folder to the original name et delete the link.

Giving more information on your system maybe can help... (but open a new thread, dont put that is this one)...

Can you post some information about your computer? You can find this information in the Direct X Diagnostic Tool:

Click on Start
    Click on Run
    Type in: dxdiag (In Vista, type dxdiag in the search field)
    Hit Enter or OK

Click on the Save All Information button at the bottom, and create a dxdiag text file, and copy and paste it ALL here.

Could you also post your D3Prefs.txt file? It's located in the My Documents\Diablo III folder.

Edited by Constasio#1308 on 7/4/2012 2:05 AM PDT
    Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
    Explain (256 characters max)
    Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]