Diablo® III

HDD Major-Stuttering Solved (Second Thread)

I am using g51vx rx05 with upgrade to t9600 2.8 ghz core cpu. with gtx260m.

Tried this method and it definitely helped, tho it's not perfect i can see my gamepaly is alot smoother now.

one thing didn't change tho , is before act2 final boss , when I shoot the benches the breaking of it cause a freeze frame which even when running at lowest settings still exist, much like some other physics.

but thanks!
Edited by TheAnswer#1530 on 7/4/2012 3:39 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Didn't help at all for me.
Reply Quote
07/04/2012 07:02 PMPosted by SmokeyNYY
Didn't help at all for me.

It will only help if you have a slow/faulty HDD, which will cause you to stutter.

The logical thing to do first is to monitor your RRT in Window's "Resource Monitor". Read some previous posts, to know what I'm talking about. If you have a 16GB flash drive laying around, then it doesn't hurt to try. Again, this solution is for slow/faulty HDDs.

If your HDD has RRT values lower than 10ms, then this solution will not make any significant improvements.
Reply Quote
O Ed actually may I ask you how I can gain access to resource monitor or similar program in vista? as I record there isn't a program like that in vista are there?

Also, as I was saying about the physics lag in my earlier post, especially the benches before act 2 boss. i tried turned down all the settings and it still happens to me, I am suspecting whatever it's causing that to happen is also the source of our problem(well, mine at least). I tried turning down all the graphics and the same still happens.

thought you might wanna know, but again you've done so much already so thanks.
Edited by TheAnswer#1530 on 7/4/2012 8:40 PM PDT
Reply Quote
07/04/2012 08:26 PMPosted by TheAnswer
O Ed actually may I ask you how I can gain access to resource monitor or similar program in vista?

I'm currently using Windows7, but a quick Google search reveals that it is accessible through your "Task Manager" when you push: (Ctrl + Alt + Del). Go to (Performance) tab, and you will see a button for it.
You can also Google: "Vista Resource Monitor"

07/04/2012 08:26 PMPosted by TheAnswer
Also, as I was saying about the physics lag in my earlier post, especially the benches before act 2 boss.

I think Blizzard implemented their own Physics engine, so I'm not sure if this loading your CPU resources. I personally don't have a problem with Physics, and I have it turned all the way up on my old laptop with Intel Core Duo T9600 (2.8GHz).

Your best bet is to search Google and the Blizzard forums.
Reply Quote
07/04/2012 03:31 PMPosted by TheAnswer
I am using g51vx rx05 with upgrade to t9600 2.8 ghz core cpu

Oh, I didn't realize your using the same CPU on your laptop as mine. However, I have a Lenovo laptop. I guess the problem is not your CPU then. Try looking into your video graphics card settings and drivers.
Reply Quote
what is your gpu? I checked and Im sure my videocard should be able to handle the game at max. But even with medium settings I have found that there's drop frame during massive magic battle (espcially in inferno act 3). I have the latest Nvidia driver update so I don't think it's my gpu neither.

have you have any drop frame with yours? or are you able to get max setting without drop frame even during intense battle?

thanks for the reply btw.
Edited by TheAnswer#1530 on 7/5/2012 3:20 AM PDT
Reply Quote
what is your gpu? I checked and Im sure my videocard should be able to handle the game at max. But even with medium settings I have found that there's drop frame during massive magic battle (espcially in inferno act 3). I have the latest Nvidia driver update so I don't think it's my gpu neither.

have you have any drop frame with yours? or are you able to get max setting without drop frame even during intense battle?

We don't have the same GPU. Mine is a Mobility FireGL V5700. Its a 4 year old mobile GPU.

NO, I can not play the game on my laptop at max native resolution, which is pretty high (1920x1200), so I have to drop it down to (1280x800) and put a fan under the GPU side of the laptop.

YES, I do get frame drops during large battles + animations. This is, in fact, normal and expected for ANY GPU (more work = less FPS).

I checked your GPU card score here:
http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu.php?gpu=GeForce+GTX+260M

Your card (score: 705) is not bad for a laptop, but don't expect it to run games at max settings without choking. I know D3 is not graphics intensive, but you have to consider that laptop GPUs do get worse performance over time due to thermal compound drying out on the heatsinks. Thus, they overheat, and depreciate in expected performance.

My best guess, is that you should expect an avg of 45-50 FPS on your laptop during normal play, and about 20-30FPS during large battles. Its just an educated guess.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Death Knight
I got a 16gb USB 3.0 flash drive and copied all of the Diablo 3 files to that and the stuttering is almost completely gone. One thing that may be of some importance is that my hard drive is a Seagate Momentus XT hybrid drive that combines traditional hard drive with 8gb of flash storage to speed up boot times and frequently used applications. So I am wondering if anyone else having this issue is using one of these drives or some other SSD caching like Intel Smart Response technology?
Reply Quote
Blizzard cant fix your !@#$ty hardware. Upgrade to something better.

P.S. SSD's are not needed for smooth play.
Reply Quote

We don't have the same GPU. Mine is a Mobility FireGL V5700. Its a 4 year old mobile GPU.

NO, I can not play the game on my laptop at max native resolution, which is pretty high (1920x1200), so I have to drop it down to (1280x800) and put a fan under the GPU side of the laptop.

YES, I do get frame drops during large battles + animations. This is, in fact, normal and expected for ANY GPU (more work = less FPS).

I checked your GPU card score here:
http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu.php?gpu=GeForce+GTX+260M

Your card (score: 705) is not bad for a laptop, but don't expect it to run games at max settings without choking. I know D3 is not graphics intensive, but you have to consider that laptop GPUs do get worse performance over time due to thermal compound drying out on the heatsinks. Thus, they overheat, and depreciate in expected performance.

My best guess, is that you should expect an avg of 45-50 FPS on your laptop during normal play, and about 20-30FPS during large battles. Its just an educated guess.

wow thanks for your analysis, you even checked my spec rating for me! you sir is a good man.

I see now, I guess I should just be happy that my laptops run at all. I was hoping to get more performance out of it since I have been able to play other games at max/high settings. But I guess you can't compare fps games/open world games to something like d3.

again thanks for your help! this kinda motivates me to build my own portable pc, I travel alot and I like to play games which is why I like the laptops for their portability.

sound the dropframe is normal, but what about the physics?
but does it sound normal to you that EVEN at lowest setting i get lag when physics happens (destorying benches)? what it your guess of the cause of this? (if not driver)
Edited by TheAnswer#1530 on 7/5/2012 12:42 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Been stuttering since release (actually gotten worse since recent patches) on both an SSD and a HDD. Got an i7-2600k and a GTX 570.

I suffered through it til Inferno, but the game is just not worth playing with all the stuttering.

I have zero hope that it will ever be fixed, but maybe I'll try again in a few patches.
Reply Quote
Running GTX 580 1.5 gig card, AMD x4 955 quad core 3.2 gigs, 4 gigs of RAM, Windows 7 64 bit.

Originally, running quietHDD solved the stuttering problem. But the problem came back in 1.02 or 1.03.

Tried USB drive, no help.

Bought an SDD today for the sole purpose of fixing this problem, installed Diablo 3 on there with nothing else on it. Helps slightly. Don't think it's worth $120 though since the problem persists.

Set hardware class to 1. Disabled multi-threading in Nvidia control panel. Disabled cores 0 and 2, also tried cores 1 and 3. Latest official drivers for sound and video. Disabled indexing.

I wish Blizzard would just fix their ****. For all I know it's the random lagspikes causing the stuttering still. Just checked my ping and it's 300 instead of 80 like it should be. If you have any other ideas how to work around their poor game design, I'd appreciate it.

Just upgraded to 7 from vista, clean install. Nothing else on my C drive. Should I reinstall the OS to the SSD, would that possibly help?

Also is it normal for the memory to increase to about 1 gig of RAM used for the game? Or is it a memory leak or something? It starts out at 460 megabytes RAM used for the game when I first load it, but after about 5 minutes it goes up to 1 gig.
Edited by DeadDragon#1455 on 7/5/2012 1:33 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I wonder if anyone has ever tried taking their computer to a friends and trying a different internet connection. Is it possible that the stuttering is related to certain internet connections? I could see Blizzard trying to cover that up because it would mean their online-only restrictions ruined their game.
Reply Quote
Well personally my internet is solid and I have tried it on a crappier connection and the problem was just the same. There's no reason for it to be spiking, clearly the lag problems are on Blizzard's end. Look in chat whenever there's a spike, and chances are everyone else is experiencing it too.
Reply Quote
Would this work if I used a external hard drive instead of a USB flash drive or a SD card?
Reply Quote
Bought an SDD today for the sole purpose of fixing this problem, installed Diablo 3 on there with nothing else on it. Helps slightly. Don't think it's worth $120 though since the problem persists.

With an SSD, you should not experience stuttering due to poor read response times (RRT). In fact, SSD's will give you RRTs better than 1ms (sub-ms). After my recent experience with SSD's, I think they are a worth-it investment (not just for Diablo). They will speed up almost everything on your computer (bootup, browsing, watching movies, gaming, etc).

I wish Blizzard would just fix their ****. For all I know it's the random lagspikes causing the stuttering still. Just checked my ping and it's 300 instead of 80 like it should be.

Sounds like you are experiencing Network Lags (latency). Latency has been really bad since the last patch (1.0.3) for everyone. I'm not really sure how accurate the Latency bar indicator is in Diablo, but since it doesn't update as fast, I would say its only a running average indicator. Meaning that, the worse case latency, which causes stuttering, is "consumed" into the average, so you don't see it.
Reply Quote
There's no reason for it to be spiking, clearly the lag problems are on Blizzard's end. Look in chat whenever there's a spike, and chances are everyone else is experiencing it too.

It would interesting to see how much data is sent/received during a 1 hour of multiplayer game. I have a feeling its a lot of data. Especially if Blizzard was monitoring for cheaters. I remember playing "Realm of the Mad God" and lags were horrible because everything was monitored on the server side (maybe D3 is the same). This could be one possibility for the rise in lags, that is, Blizzard increasing anti-cheating algorithms after p1.0.3. I'm just guessing.
Reply Quote
07/05/2012 01:42 PMPosted by ChiHChan
Would this work if I used a external hard drive instead of a USB flash drive or a SD card?

It might help a little .. you will have to try. However, based on our collective experience, FLASH is the way to go, whether SSD or Flash drive.
Edited by Edstroyer#1680 on 7/5/2012 2:54 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Just upgraded to 7 from vista, clean install. Nothing else on my C drive. Should I reinstall the OS to the SSD, would that possibly help?

I guess I misunderstood you in my previous reply.

Yes, I would recommend installing BOTH Diablo and Windows 7 on the same SSD. This is because the SSD can handle both, and because Diablo will occasionally access files external to the installation directory (some files from C:\Windows\..... sub-folder).

I would ONLY make this recommendation for an SSD though.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]