Diablo® III

HDD Major-Stuttering Solved (Second Thread)

I thought maybe it could be my video card. I downloaded Arkham City, Spec Ops: The Line and Trine 2 demos, all of them ran flawlessly. Low FPS on spec ops, but stutter free. I could play a game with low fps, just can't stand stuttering.
Reply Quote
same with me! AC and spec op the line ran fine on mine even at max.
Reply Quote
I understand that my laptop can't run everything perfect, but physics lag even at lowest settings seems really suspicious to me. I feel like if I can fix the source of the physics lag (benches destroy b4 act 2 boss) my life will be complete.
Edited by TheAnswer#1530 on 7/5/2012 5:15 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I have had Stuttering, Key Lag, and Rubberbanding since the last patch 1.0.3

My system meets the recommended specs and I have not had any problems with any other programs/games.

Diablo 3 was running fine with the highest settings before the patch, now issues occur on average every 3-5 seconds. I have provided a list below of all the steps I have tried to correct the problem.

Recommended by the Blues in these posts:
http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/4797099976?page=2
http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/4848645863

So I Have:
*Updated all drivers (They were already current)
*Ran Scandisk and Defrag
*Deleted the Cache Folder
*Turned off all unnecessary background programs
*Disabed Windows Drive Indexing (for all files and subfolders)

I found this post and tried the things Ethereal Mog Suggested:
http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/4879268232#8

So I:
*Rebuilt the battle.net folder
*Deleted the D3Prefs.txt file
*Changed Settings with all variations on Hardware Class and Trilinear Filtering

I also tried these things posted throughout the forum:
*Turning off Shadows
*Running Windowed
*Uncheck Framerates
*Lowering Graphics and sound settings to lowest settings
*Disabling Sound

I Just found this post and did what Edstroyer suggested:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5642269402?page=1

So I:
*Transferred MPQs folder to USB drive and set the symbolic link

It seems to be running smooth again with Graphics/Sound at default settings

Previously I would do one of the things mentioned above and the issues would improve slightly for about an hour or two and then go back to running poorly. Occurrences would typically be every 3-5 seconds when bad and 6-10 seconds when improved. This MPQs folder fix seems to have almost completely eliminated my problems. Time will tell (fingers crossed)

I hope this helps someone else, or gives Blizzard some info to work with. Many thanks to all the people posting and working to help out!

[EDIT]
I forgot to mention that Latency/Lag has not been an issue for me. I know some people are experiencing similar issues due to "Lag Spikes". As Edstroyer stated below it's important we don't confuse the two (Post-patch problems and Lag Spikes) have been Separate issues for folks with different resolutions.

I have kept an eye on Latency since purchase around May 20th. (Roughly time wise) The first two weeks I got a dependable 30-35ms, 2 weeks later it was 60-70ms, two weeks later 95-105ms and that's were it stayed. Though I still had smooth gameplay at 100ms BEFORE the patch. I occasionally get Lag Spikes but they are few and far between, thus not a problem for me so far.
Edited by Nobunaga#1590 on 7/6/2012 1:44 AM PDT
Reply Quote
07/05/2012 05:15 PMPosted by TheAnswer
I feel like if I can fix the source of the physics lag (benches destroy b4 act 2 boss) my life will be complete.

Please read the sign on the benches:

These benches are used by locals to rest. Please do not destroy them. They are castle property. Any damage to these benches is subject to punishment by stuttering. Thank you.
Reply Quote
This MPQs folder fix seems to have almost completely eliminated my problems. Time will tell (fingers crossed)

I hope this helps someone else, or gives Blizzard some info to work with. Many thanks to all the people posting and working to help out!

I'm glad it helped. Sounds like you've been pulling your hair for a while.

I'm assuming your using a mechanical HDD for your OS. If yes, the OP Flash disk solution will significantly improve game performance and reduce stuttering, but it will not totally eliminate the stuttering. This is because the game will occasionally access files outside the "MPQ" folder (files inside C:\Windows\.. sub-folders). Its not that often, but when it happens, you will stutter during that period (about 1 minute or so), then it goes away.

Just a "heads up" :).

Also keep in mind that we are all experiencing lots of Network Lag (latency) recently, so try not to confuse both problems together.
Reply Quote
These benches are used by locals to rest. Please do not destroy them. They are castle property. Any damage to these benches is subject to punishment by stuttering. Thank you.
[/quote]

XD lol guess i should have be less of a jerk. but not seriously Im like searching all over the net to see if anyone else have the same problem. benches are not the only thing that's causing the physics lag it's just that the problem is more obvious.

ima let you guys know if i find anything on that.
Edited by TheAnswer#1530 on 7/6/2012 12:53 AM PDT
Reply Quote
@Edstroyer

Thanks for the heads up. I was/have been pulling my hair out lol...but who hasn't? I can stand a stutter every minute or so (heck I've learned 10 seconds is acceptable) but 3 seconds makes you feel like your having seizures. So far it's still running nicely :D

It was night and day after installing the 1.0.3 patch. In the OOOOOLD days when I could play offline I would have just uninstalled Diablo 2 and gone back to the previous patch until they fixed it. But alas I must work diligently to fix their "online only" (still hacked by bots) version. Once you accept you bought a beta game, your patience increases ten fold, and that's about the only advice I have for folks getting frustrated unfortunately.

You are correct sir! I am using a mechanical HDD. I didn't realize that a SSD was recommended until I was looking into my first problems on here. I read D3 has been bricking some ppls SSD's! :o i hope not and will wait before purchasing one.

I meant to add my Latency earlier and edited my post above. I've been an internet tech before so I'm pretty confident knowing that Latency/Lag hasn't been my issue, Just didn't go there in detail since it wasn't the issue as of yet (again fingers crossed lol)

(if it matters to any, Sorry if my posts have been long just trying to be thorough)
Edited by Nobunaga#1590 on 7/6/2012 1:51 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Amazing difference! I installed D3 on my 500GB mechanical drive to save space on my SSD boot drive and have been plagued with jerky gameplay even though I have a decent system. After reading about moving the MPQs folder to a USB drive I decided to move it to my SSD. Major improvement.
Reply Quote
what is panoramic mode
Reply Quote
Anyone recommend a good flash drive to use for the fix?
Reply Quote
If you have USB 3.0, try out this one for $12.75 after using the coupon code that expires on 7/11.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820313092

Otherwise if you just have USB 2.0, grab one of the 16GB on their site for $9.99
Reply Quote
10 Undead Warrior
This cmd prompt, redirect MPQ stuff seems to be more trouble than it's worth.

I copied the whole Diablo 3 folder, in Program Files (x86), to an SD card, then fixed the shortcut on my desktop to point to the new location.

Problem solved.
Edited by Hierophant#1827 on 7/6/2012 11:41 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I don't have 16GB USB but I managed to work it out with my 8GB and 4GB USB.

Save my day, thanks!!!!

This is the second thread since the first thread has reached its limit.
First Thread Link: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5149178443

Original Post (OP) below:
=========================================================
Stuttering Problem Description:

The problem is that the game does not use "loading screens" to load all needed data from your hard disk drive (HDD) to your memory. Instead, the game is constantly reading from your HDD. Since other background running programs (including Windows) are also using your HDD while you are playing, it will cause your game to stutter. This happens because the game will have to wait for read/write access to your HDD.

Note: any stuttering caused by network lags (latency) is beyond our control. Huge number of enemies on one screen (+animations) will lower your FPS (this is common sense).

How I figured out this was the problem:

Basically, I noticed that my HDD had approximately 250ms (avg) - 1,500ms (max) read response time (RRT) for any read access to MPQ files located inside the folder:
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Diablo III\Data_D3\PC\MPQs"
I've tried defragmenting C: before and after installing Diablo3, but it didn't help with the slow HDD read response time. You can find your read response time in "Resource Monitor" in windows, or just type "resource" in start menu. Just put the game in windowed mode and observe "Resource Monitor" > "Disk" > "Response Time" while you are moving your character around the screen and through different areas which normally stutters.

SOLUTION (Windows 7 or Vista):

1) You will need (minimum) 16GB USB flash drive (or 16GB SD card). An 8GB flash drive will not work because it will translate to 7.45GB under windows, which is smaller than needed (7.7GB).

2) Copy the entire "MPQs" folder (7.7GB) from:
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Diablo III\Data_D3\PC\MPQs"
to your USB/SD drive. For me, it was "D:\" drive, so the final result was "D:\MPQs". It might be a different drive name for you, so just use what you get.

3) Rename the original "MPQs" ( located on your HDD) to anything you want.

now the tricky part ...ready ?

4) Go to windows start > and type the following in the search box: cmd and hit (CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER), which will prompt you to run command line in administrator mode.

5) Once in command prompt, type the following (make sure you have the right letter drive):
cd "C:\Program Files (x86)\Diablo III\Data_D3\PC"
mklink /j "C:\Program Files (x86)\Diablo III\Data_D3\PC\MPQs" "D:\MPQs"

***Note: you cannot "CTRL+V" in command prompt, but you can right click "paste" instead.
***if you don't like this command-line stuff (step 4 and 5) you can jump to windows XP solution, but you have to install an extra program.

If you get a message that says something like: "a symbolic link has been created .." then you did it right. Your done!

SOLUTION (Windows XP) also works for windows 7/Vista (no command-line involved):

Follow steps 1 through 3 from windows 7 solution above
***Note: in windows XP, the "C:\Program Files\...." will not have the (x86) part.

4) Download a free program called "Link Shell Extension" from download.cnet website. This comes in two versions 32bit and 64bit. You have to install the right version depending on which windows XP you are using (most likely 32bit). After you install it, restart your computer.

5) Browse to the folder you created in step 3, for me it was "D:\MPQs", and righ-click on the "MPQs" folder, and select >"Pick Link Source".

6) Go to the original folder location on your hard drive:
"C:\Program Files\Diablo III\Data_D3\PC"
right-click anywhere inside the "PC" folder and select > Drop As ..> Symbolic Link ( or Junction).

Thats it! your done!

Basically, we faked the location of the MPQs directory and relocated it to a flash drive with faster read response time (RRT) than your HDD.

Now, you should have read response times (RRT) around 5ms !

ENJOY "stutter-free" Diablo 3 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply Quote
Don't hesitate to REQUEST STICKY for this thread.. (up right button)... ^^
Reply Quote
07/07/2012 12:54 AMPosted by TaiTran
I don't have 16GB USB but I managed to work it out with my 8GB and 4GB USB.

That's pretty cool. You managed to salvage and work with what you already have. Good for you :).
Reply Quote
07/06/2012 12:36 AMPosted by Nobunaga
I read D3 has been bricking some ppls SSD's!

Where did you read this ?
Reply Quote
I read D3 has been bricking some ppls SSD's!

Where did you read this ?

I read it on a couple posts when I started looking into fixing my stuttering issue. I'd provide links but don't know what threads it was mentioned in. Didn't make a note since it wasn't an issue for me. Sorry :(

If I come across them I'll update

UPDATE:
Found it!
http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/4551307558?page=2
Posts #34 and #47

That is mainly what I was referring to. There was one more post that I read somewhere, similar situation to post #34 but it was in a random thread I'm sure I'll never find again.
Edited by Nobunaga#1590 on 7/8/2012 5:26 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]