Diablo® III

HDD Major-Stuttering Solved (Second Thread)

UPDATE:
Found it!
http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/4551307558?page=2
Posts #34 and #47

Thanks for the update. This is post #34:
My SSD worked flawlessly for 8 months, only issue with my system has been Diablo 3 and one day after a number of crashes it was no longer recognised in my Bios, assuming it was a faulting SSD causing the crashing/stuttering I was looking forward to my replacement SSD. Still the same stutter/lag and crash problems so D3 is uninstalled every other game runs without issue so im convinced D3 bricked my SSD.

Based on what I've read so far on Tom's Hardware website relating to SSD write wear:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ssd-520-sandforce-review-benchmark,3124-11.html

There has been a lot of improvement on SSD firmware and controllers to reduce write wear in the past 2 years. An average SSD will allow you about 7GB/day writes for up to 5 years before you start noticing any degradation in performance. Therefore, I don't think this guy's SSD crashing was due to Diablo. Also, his problem still persist after getting another SSD, which makes me think he has other problems probably related to the OS, bios, motherboard, or other running software. Maybe he bought a used SSD that was already hammered..

He didn't really provide that much information either, or proof (snapshot images of poor performance while playing Diablo). You can't just believe people's radical claims without "some form" of proof.

I think if Diablo was bricking SSDs, we would have known about it by now since there are many people playing the game religiously by now on SSDs. A quick Google search about this only reveals his post.

BTW, using "HD Tune Pro" you can get a rough estimate of your "SSD Life Left" under [Health] tab. A current value of 100 means that you have 100% life left on your SSD. After about 1 week of playing Diablo on my brand new SSD vertex 3, my SSD Life Left is still at 100%.

Also, for what its worth, I don't really support people trying to find ways to reduce write-operations on their SSD to prolong its lifetime (it defeats the purpose of having an SSD). If I get the average 5 years of service from my SSD, I've gotten enough value for what I paid for (~$90 for a new 120GB SSD).
Reply Quote
Just a question, is rubberbanding = stuttering? Because I'm having a lot of rubberbanding.
Example:
- I run from Ancient Path's way point to top of the stairs, only to be back at Ancient Path's waypoint after 1-2 seconds.

- When attacking, my character plays the shooting animation but attack projectiles only appear 1-2 seconds later.
Reply Quote
07/08/2012 10:05 PMPosted by FateZero
Just a question, is rubberbanding = stuttering? Because I'm having a lot of rubberbanding.

No, from what I understand myself, rubber-banding is a network lag spike (latency). Really bad latency is a form of a network disconnection (1-2 seconds like you said). If you rubber-band a lot you will notice your game latency fluctuating in value (or jumping around).

07/08/2012 10:05 PMPosted by FateZero
- When attacking, my character plays the shooting animation but attack projectiles only appear 1-2 seconds later.

True, some animations are executed locally on your PC, like running around the map, but there is no guarantee that you are still where you are or whether you are killing the enemy. This is because you are not sending/receiving data packets to/from the server (Blizzard). You are briefly disconnected from Blizzard (1-2 sec). According to Blizzard, you haven't moved from the last place you were at before this brief disconnection. This is why when the network is re-established, you are placed back where Blizzard thinks you are, thus, you "rubber-band" back to your original location when the network was disconnected.

EDIT: what I mean by "brief network disconnection" is a really bad network lag (latency) spike 1-2 seconds long (or more). Network data packets sent during this time were probably dropped/lost somewhere along their way to Blizzard or by Blizzard.
Edited by Edstroyer#1680 on 7/8/2012 11:00 PM PDT
Reply Quote
He didn't really provide that much information either, or proof (snapshot images of poor performance while playing Diablo). You can't just believe people's radical claims without "some form" of proof.

I think if Diablo was bricking SSDs, we would have known about it by now since there are many people playing the game religiously by now on SSDs. A quick Google search about this only reveals his post.

I agree. I wasn't trying to spread rumors or anything. I was more or less just mentioning it as a passing thought. But regardless thanks for putting my mind at ease though, and educating me a bit about it :)
Reply Quote
Example:
- I run from Ancient Path's way point to top of the stairs, only to be back at Ancient Path's waypoint after 1-2 seconds.

@fatezero
I think Edstroyer answered you but I wanted to add my own two cents. (hope thats ok Edstroyer) Stuttering is definitely not rubberbanding. Edstroyer pretty much got it in describing the rubberbanding.

My main issue when I got on here WAS the stuttering. I would describe it as hitting a pause button on/off really fast. For me this was occurring about every 3 seconds. Have you noticed when you go into a new area and start running it kinda stut stutters as it's loading the new area? Like that but all the time. This was an issue along WITH Rubberbanding and Input/Key Lag for me. For some stuttering is related to and fixed by updating/changing Graphics Drivers. Edstroyers MPQ folder fix is what helped my stuttering issue. Though I still get Rubberbanding and Input Lag, but stuttering has pretty much stopped.

It sounds like your main issue is Rubberbanding/Lag Spikes. True you might see your Latency fluctuating when this occurs but not always. Since this only happens occasionally to me I don't really see the change in Latency but once in a blue moon. Though...that is when checking it in D3. If i used another program to monitor my traffic I would most likely see it.
Edited by Nobunaga#1590 on 7/8/2012 11:27 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I agree. I wasn't trying to spread rumors or anything. I was more or less just mentioning it as a passing thought. But regardless thanks for putting my mind at ease though, and educating me a bit about it :)

It's cool, your welcome. I think we are both slightly better educated and informed about this now :).
Reply Quote
Edstroyer =]

I Love You. Thank you for helping us all out. It's greatly appreciated.

Blizzard... tsk tsk tsk. Take a pointer or two from this wise gentlemen.

Gentlemen right? =]
Reply Quote
This does not work for me. I got the link working but it everytime it's set up the launcher wants to do an update and just hangs.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
This may have been answered here i didn't see it but i may just be blind. But did u format the flash to ntfs or stay fat32 for the mpq fix
Reply Quote
Personally I tried both ways. Last night it finally worked for me and my 16GB USB 3.0 drive worked just fine under fat32. I think my troubles were just the crappy launcher.
Reply Quote
bump for this useful post
Reply Quote
It was fine after using the HDD method, but it seems like the lag is still persisting after the last patch.

also, I was wondering if the new patches change the files of MPQs in the HDD.
Reply Quote
It was fine after using the HDD method, but it seems like the lag is still persisting after the last patch.

also, I was wondering if the new patches change the files of MPQs in the HDD.

I can't really test the HDD problem anymore since I just recently purchased an SSD. The only stuttering-like behavior I get in the game now is from Network Lag (latency). I would play hardcore if my lag wasn't so unpredictable.

Anyways, I'm not playing the game anymore either. Stuck on Act 3 boss (inferno), not just that, but I also kinda got bored of the game content. Can't upgrade my gear without spending 10xMillions, which I don't have. So, now I'm just waiting on the PvP patch.
Reply Quote
can I copy the whole diablo directory in a flash drive and run it from there?
Reply Quote
07/12/2012 12:50 AMPosted by SEVENS
can I copy the whole diablo directory in a flash drive and run it from there?

Yes !

Perhaps it would be a good idea to put it page one, because it is still much simpler... ^^
Reply Quote
ok ill try that. anyone tried it yet?
Reply Quote
I have had stuttering issues since 1.03b patch. I have also had latency issues since that patch as well. I did not have issues prior. Wow, I can't imagine that this is what "technical support" is considered for a company. This is an utter joke. Are you guys kidding me? Asdrubael summed things up pretty well. You guys should stop screwing up your PC settings to get this POS game to work. I can't understand how I can run any other game, either standalone or online play without any hitches and stuttering, but for this game I have set every graphic setting to the lowest possible...and it still doesn't work.
Reply Quote
I know we all had high expectations from Diablo 3, and from Blizzard in general. I think we need to step back and understand that nothing in general is perfect. No loading screens in games has only been attempted in very few games, and its still considered a new concept, thus, a new challenge. I think Blizzard has been working hard on making lots of improvements to the game, and this is why I know the stuttering issue will be addressed and resolved, I have no doubt about that. It's just a matter of time, priority, and patience.

I will be the Latency you should be worried about in the long run.
Reply Quote
+ 1

Edstroyer :

Perhaps it would be a good idea to put it page one, because it is still much simpler... ^^

Some players reported that making a copy of the Folder Diablo 3 worked as well... Is there a technical objection?
Edited by Constasio#1308 on 7/13/2012 3:59 AM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]