Diablo® III

HDD Major-Stuttering Solved (Second Thread)

+ 1

Edstroyer :

Perhaps it would be a good idea to put it page one, because it is still much simpler... ^^

Some players reported that making a copy of the Folder Diablo 3 worked as well... Is there a technical objection?

No, there is no objection to that. It's just that I never tried it myself. I'll look into it sometime soon.
Reply Quote
After suffering various stuttering issues for weeks I recently gave up actually trying to play Diablo and started a massive troubleshoot guess and check hunt for a solution. For my situation I have found my own solution and wish to share as stuttering is a huge issue for many.

Current In Game Settings
----------------------------------

screen res - 1920x1080 Text Quality- High
V Sync- Enabled Shadow Quality- High
Max For FPS- Dissabled Physics- High
Mas Back FPS- Disabled Clutter- High
Anti-A- Enabled
Low FX- Enabled

D3Prefs
--------------------------------
Ok this is a file D3 uses to quick save ur settings and other small info, to accsess the file (in windows 7) go to [ Start] [Documents] open [D3Prefs] it should open in Notepad if not make it with right click open with then select it.

I will copy and paste my 'values' however there are only 4 settings that seem to make an effect
-----------------------------
PreferencesVersion "43"
PlayedCutscene0 "15"
PlayedCutscene1 "15"
PlayedCutscene2 "23"
PlayedCutscene3 "143"
DisplayModeFlags "0"
DisplayModeWindowMode "0"
DisplayModeWinLeft "320"
DisplayModeWinTop "180"
DisplayModeWinWidth "1280"
DisplayModeWinHeight "720"
DisplayModeUIOptWidth "1920"
DisplayModeUIOptHeight "1080"
DisplayModeWidth "1920"
DisplayModeHeight "1080"
DisplayModeRefreshRate "60"
DisplayModeBitDepth "32"
Gamma "1.500000"
MipOffset "0"
ShadowQuality "3"
PhysicsQuality "1"
ClutterQuality "3"
Vsync "1"
Letterbox "0"
Antialiasing "1"
LowFX "1"
LimitForegroundFPS "0"
MaxForegroundFPS "0"
LimitBackgroundFPS "0"
MaxBackgroundFPS "0"
DisableTrilinearFiltering "0"
ColorCorrection "1"
MipBias "0.000000"
ReflectionQuality "0"
TonemapExposure "1.900000"
TonemapContrast "1.500000"
TonemapSaturation "1.000000"
TonemapGain "1.000000"
HardwareClass "1" <-- leave your setting, mine was at 4 originality if you have to change[/u] it[/b]
PCIVendor "4098"
PCIDevice "26808"
MasterVolume "1.000000"
EffectVolume "0.800000"
MusicVolume "0.800000"
NarrationVolume "0.800000"
AmbientVolume "0.800000"
ChannelsToUse "32"
ReverseSpeakers "0"
QuestSubtitlesEnabled "0"
CinematicsSubtitlesEnabled "0"
EchoQuestDialogToChat "1"
MuteSound "0"
MuteEffects "0"
MuteAmbient "0"
MuteVoice "0"
MuteMusic "0"

What I changed

These 4 settings seem to be the problem for my situation
LimitForegroundFPS "0"
MaxForegroundFPS "0" <----------- These particularly
LimitBackgroundFPS "0"
MaxBackgroundFPS "0"<------------These particularly

Basically If you try to set the MaxBackground FPS and MaxForeground FPS sliders to 0 in game you cant, for good reason I suppose but in the D3Prefs file you can. SET THEM TO 0
Save the changes in notepad
If you were to start D3 it would remove your changes and go back to the previous settings, WE DONT WANT THIS
to stop D3 from doing it what you do is right click on D3Prefs (the file you just opened) go to properties, once in properties go to attributes and check Read-Only then exit

Thats it, Worked BEAUTIFUL for me I thought i had the hard drive lag problem but none of the fixes worked. I tried some Nvidia D3 micro stutter solutions and they also didnt work, Slaped in my radeon 5770 still had stuttering. Went on a witch hunt for days changing one setting at a time and diff combo settings and this worked immediately Good LUCK!!!

And remember if it doesn't work for you don't give up keep trying, It worked for me if this helps even one person i will be happy because it went from unplayable to very enjoyable.
Reply Quote
+ 1

Edstroyer :

Some players reported that making a copy of the Folder Diablo 3 worked as well... Is there a technical objection?

No, there is no objection to that. It's just that I never tried it myself. I'll look into it sometime soon.

Done ... its included as a note at the end. I think the OP has become an elaborate manual.
Reply Quote
Maaaan, I just did what was suggested in the OP (creating a "link" between MPQs' folder in my external HD) and it worked perfectly well! I was having a huge problem with stuttering, and now, I'm again playing with no problem at all.
Really thanks, man!
Reply Quote
Holy rusted metal Batman.

This worked amazingly well. In fact my ping jumped to 1500 a few times and the game kept on playing like nothing was wrong. Some stuttering was still apparent but nothing like the 5-10sec dropoffs.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Priest
To the person (assuming the OP) who thought of this creative workaround. I want to give a personal thank you.

I went to Walmart and bought two 16gb sandisk(s). I copied the Diablo 3 folder over to the removeable drive. The process took about 30 mins, thought it would be faster. I did have to create a new shortcut, suppose I could have modified the drive path. Anyways I found it to work real well. Working on my wife's machine as I type this and I hope to see BIG difference there as well.

I highly doubt I will copy it back to my HD, even when they fix the problem. For 13 (*2) bucks it can just stay there.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Priest
This thread deserves a sticky. I have been running this game from the flash drive and all I can say is wow.
Reply Quote
will this fix work with an external hd instead of a flash drive?
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Priest
Has to be a flash drive, unless your external HD doesn't have mechanical parts. As one poster said we should be required to run the game on an SSD. Blizzard is working a fix, but the questions are how soon and when? Using the flash drive is the cheapest SSD you can buy :). Before someone makes a comment I know there both different but basically the same.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Priest
After suffering various stuttering issues for weeks I recently gave up actually trying to play Diablo and started a massive troubleshoot guess and check hunt for a solution. For my situation I have found my own solution and wish to share as stuttering is a huge issue for many.

[code]Current In Game Settings
----------------------------------

screen res - 1920x1080 Text Quality- High
V Sync- Enabled Shadow Quality- High
Max For FPS- Dissabled Physics- High
Mas Back FPS- Disabled Clutter- High
Anti-A- Enabled
Low FX- Enabled

D3Prefs
--------------------------------
Ok this is a file D3 uses to quick save ur settings and other small info, to accsess the file (in windows 7) go to [ Start] [Documents] open [D3Prefs] it should open in Notepad if not make it with right click open with then select it.

I will copy and paste my 'values' however there are only 4 settings that seem to make an effect
-----------------------------
PreferencesVersion "43"
PlayedCutscene0 "15"
PlayedCutscene1 "15"
PlayedCutscene2 "23"
PlayedCutscene3 "143"
DisplayModeFlags "0"
DisplayModeWindowMode "0"
DisplayModeWinLeft "320"
DisplayModeWinTop "180"
DisplayModeWinWidth "1280"
DisplayModeWinHeight "720"
DisplayModeUIOptWidth "1920"
DisplayModeUIOptHeight "1080"
DisplayModeWidth "1920"
DisplayModeHeight "1080"
DisplayModeRefreshRate "60"
DisplayModeBitDepth "32"
Gamma "1.500000"
MipOffset "0"
ShadowQuality "3"
PhysicsQuality "1"
ClutterQuality "3"
Vsync "1"
Letterbox "0"
Antialiasing "1"
LowFX "1"
LimitForegroundFPS "0"
MaxForegroundFPS "0"
LimitBackgroundFPS "0"
MaxBackgroundFPS "0"
DisableTrilinearFiltering "0"
ColorCorrection "1"
MipBias "0.000000"
ReflectionQuality "0"
TonemapExposure "1.900000"
TonemapContrast "1.500000"
TonemapSaturation "1.000000"
TonemapGain "1.000000"
HardwareClass "1" <-- leave your setting, mine was at 4 originality if you have to change[/u] it[/b]
PCIVendor "4098"
PCIDevice "26808"
MasterVolume "1.000000"
EffectVolume "0.800000"
MusicVolume "0.800000"
NarrationVolume "0.800000"
AmbientVolume "0.800000"
ChannelsToUse "32"
ReverseSpeakers "0"
QuestSubtitlesEnabled "0"
CinematicsSubtitlesEnabled "0"
EchoQuestDialogToChat "1"
MuteSound "0"
MuteEffects "0"
MuteAmbient "0"
MuteVoice "0"
MuteMusic "0"

What I changed

These 4 settings seem to be the problem for my situation
LimitForegroundFPS "0"
MaxForegroundFPS "0" <----------- These particularly
LimitBackgroundFPS "0"
MaxBackgroundFPS "0"<------------These particularly

Basically If you try to set the MaxBackground FPS and MaxForeground FPS sliders to 0 in game you cant, for good reason I suppose but in the D3Prefs file you can. SET THEM TO 0
Save the changes in notepad
If you were to start D3 it would remove your changes and go back to the previous settings, WE DONT WANT THIS
to stop D3 from doing it what you do is right click on D3Prefs (the file you just opened) go to properties, once in properties go to attributes and check Read-Only then exit

Thats it, Worked BEAUTIFUL for me I thought i had the hard drive lag problem but none of the fixes worked. I tried some Nvidia D3 micro stutter solutions and they also didnt work, Slaped in my radeon 5770 still had stuttering. Went on a witch hunt for days changing one setting at a time and diff combo settings and this worked immediately Good LUCK!!!

And remember if it doesn't work for you don't give up keep trying, It worked for me if this helps even one person i will be happy because it went from unplayable to very enjoyable.

I tried messing with the preferences file and keeps resetting itself so I followed the OP using a flash drive.
Reply Quote
Why is blue keeping so quiet? Should this be made as sticky??

are they embarrassed?
Reply Quote
I just ordered a 16GB thumb drive,

My rig:

AMD Phenom II x6
Asus m4a785td-v evo
4GB 9-9-9-24 1333mhz Gkill DDR3
7200rpm WD Raptor 256GB SATA Drive
Dual ATI HD 6870's Cross-fired 2GB

If this doesn't work ill be surprised from the responses, I really want to avoid SSD's because they're expensive and not really worth it IMO unless you really need fast loading times, I dont mind waiting 10-20 more seconds in a loading screen but for this game.....cmon blizzard if it stutters this badly at least an SSD should be listed in recommended system requirements.
Reply Quote
Well i was getting SERIOUSLY pissed and frustrated with D3. The stuttering and cutouts were by far the worst ive seen on any game, and i have a superior system, i was trying literally everything i could think of to get this to quit. As you might imagine, no luck ! i just could not figure out what the hell the problem was. im sure the techs at blizz are tired of hearing from me !@#$%ing and crying about the issue -- lol. Whatever, thats what you gotta deal with when you release an inferior product. Anyways, i finally stumbled across this thread and figured id give it a shot, i'd tried everything else at this point. Well to my surprise, IT WORKED !!! there is NO stuttering at all. Maybe the intermittent jump here and there from connection problems, but its fixed and i got nothing to say but good things to the people that finally figured this out. THANK YOU VERY MUCH !! so if you are experiencing this problem -- give this solution a try, it DOES work.
Reply Quote
Anyone else not play anymore cause of this issue? Now its like I login every Tuesday to see if there is a patch, and then don't touch it for that week. The first game from Blizzard that runs like !@# on my machine, when I can max far more graphic intensive games and run stutter free.
Reply Quote
Alright got my thumbdrive and gave this a shot, didn't work for me.... this isnt major stuttering however, its micro stuttering.. its not even network lag I can tell. Im sure an SSD wouldnt fix this since a flash drive should be good enough....what the diablo....
Reply Quote
This thread does NOT work and on placebo.

Since day one I've had a similar problem with Diablo 3 and I've tried everything. My screen will randomly stutter with absolutely no action going on just walking about. Even when there is a tons of enemys on the screen, my FPS is STILL at 60 FPS, but will have this slight stutter randomly. It's disgusting that Blizzard keeps blaming the end user for this. All my other games work fine.

My system:
Asus Rampage IV
3960X cpu
32gig Gskill 2133mhz ram
Corsair 2x 120GB Force GT SSD in RAID 0
Corsair 1200 PSU
EVGA 680 GTX
Fresh Windows 7 64bit with all latest drivers installed. All old ones tested, too.

I have the entire game shoved in a ramdrive and this problem still persists. This game engine is flawed and needs to be fixed.

Quit blaming this on your customers and FIX this god damn game, Blizzard. I paid 100 bucks for the CE version and it's been a stuttering piece of crap since day one.
Reply Quote
This worked awesome for me! I have a system that utilized Intel's Rapid Storage Technology which used an SSD to build a "system cache" for my standard 2TB HDD. I ended up shutting off acceleration that used all 60GB (64GB drive) for caching from the SSD. I then re-built the acceleration with a standard 20GB partition (18GB and change). This left me with roughly ~37GB of space on the SSD that I could allocate to a new partition. Built a standard drive with that space and moved the MPQ's to the new drive, switched the symbolic link to the new drive and boom! No more random stutters and no more messing with anything else to make the game work as it should! Thanks to the OP for this, great diagnosis of the issue!

Blizzard...you really should fix this...
Reply Quote
You are absolutely right, I agree with all your words. And yeah, do sth about it Bliz finally, you've been making us suck the play rod of this damn game long enough...
Reply Quote
I just wanted to say thanks OP!

I ended up only transferring a couple things over since I only had a 4gb (noob I know).

Vsync is on and i bumped FPS back up to 75. I noticed an improvement right away in the smoothness. I used to get some noticeable choppiness when I first got into act 3. It didn't even slow down when I fought my first pack. I am not sure how any of this affects latency but I am giving the OP the credit none the less. My latency average has dropped 10-30 ms and I no longer get a huge latency spike when I first enter a game.
Reply Quote
So i did this but now the game lauches but the play button doesn't light up. what did i do wrong?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]