Diablo® III

HDD Major-Stuttering Solved (Second Thread)

Won't this solution burn your usb pen?
I though that this kind of hardware was not built to endure the inevitable abuse diablo3 will inflict...

Anyway, as much as I appreciate the fix, the issue must be solved by Blizzard.
In the next patch hopefully.

EDIT:
Just found out that setting the game on "windowed fullscreen" seem to reduce the issue on my machine. Try it.
Edited by Romanov77#1398 on 6/8/2012 11:54 AM PDT
Reply Quote
06/08/2012 11:20 AMPosted by Romanov77

Your flash drive should last about 10 years. That's enough time until Diablo 4 comes out :) for which you would have to buy a 2TB flash drive to store the MPQs folder on :)
Reply Quote
Would a USB drive that's 2.0 work just fine?

Well, my computer is USB 2.0 capable. That's what i meant.
Edited by tastecourage#1881 on 6/8/2012 12:48 PM PDT
Reply Quote

My 500gigabyte usb drive didn't work. I guess you can try. I think it has something to do with a Hard Drive is mechanical parts, the usb flash drive doesn't have any of that.
Reply Quote

My 500gigabyte usb drive didn't work. I guess you can try. I think it has something to do with a Hard Drive is mechanical parts, the usb flash drive doesn't have any of that.

Thanks. I'll probably spend 25-30 bucks on a 16gb flash drive and see what happens. Sorry your drive didn't work :(
Reply Quote
I'm waiting on the patch to see if it fixes it before buying a flash drive. I have one, but its only 8 gig, but really 7.56 or something.

Anyway to put the mpq's on there and link it somehow?
Edited by Ayperos#1584 on 6/8/2012 1:24 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Sort of off topic but this worked PERFECTLY for diablo 3. How do I get this to work for Starcraft 2 too? I always lag up the game for other players on my first SC2 game loaded up. I tried googling but couldn't find any info
Reply Quote
takes time to do for me :( was playing with 3 big mpq files loaded on ram with same linking. but since i have 6gig ram it was using 5151 mb of it :( hope this works, all i want is smooth fckin 30 fps with no stuttering.
my specs are i5 480m, %75 free 5400 rpm 500gb hdd, ati hd 5650 clocked to 630/900mhz(default 580/800 is less hot but kinda 5 10 fps lower), 6 gigs 1333mhz ram.
if som1else with same specs solved his issue plz let me know too :/
Reply Quote
I did this, all as you say, but this error pops up it's 0B5ADA00-0FF4-4B7E-AD78-DA7F2FCDD958 I don't know whats wrong, I did it all right, but a large white window tells me to summarize what I was doing and to show that code to Blizzards tech support. What did I do wrong?
Reply Quote
06/08/2012 12:46 PMPosted by ArtisHard

This has been addressed in the previous thread in details. The short answer is: "yes, USB2.0 works fine." In fact, I am using an SD flash card which is slower than USB2.0.
Edited by Edstroyer#1680 on 6/8/2012 5:05 PM PDT
Reply Quote
06/08/2012 01:54 PMPosted by Loomies
Sort of off topic but this worked PERFECTLY for diablo 3. How do I get this to work for Starcraft 2 too? I always lag up the game for other players on my first SC2 game loaded up. I tried googling but couldn't find any info

I suppose you can do this for any other game, if and only if, the stuttering problem was due to slow RRT. You have to understand what your doing. As I mentioned before, you have to start with "Resource Monitor" or type "res" in windows start search box. You can try to copy the entire installation folder and mklink-it. Also, read the first thread. This should probably get you started.
Reply Quote
80 Tauren Hunter
I though that this kind of hardware was not built to endure the inevitable abuse diablo3 will inflict...

Anyway, as much as I appreciate the fix, the issue must be solved by Blizzard.
In the next patch hopefully.

EDIT:
Just found out that setting the game on "windowed fullscreen" seem to reduce the issue on my machine. Try it.

No, only constant writes to a SSD damage it. Like if you used a SSD for the pagefile that's constantly writing, that would be stupid.

No damage at all even with heavy reading from a SSD. And Diablo 3 would be reading from your MPQs. No writing except for copying the files the first time and subsequent game update and there is no danger in doing that such limited amount of writing.
Edited by MyKillK#1335 on 6/8/2012 6:14 PM PDT
Reply Quote
BUMP

Any idea when the path is comming out? Is it gonna be fixed in 1.03 or what?
Reply Quote
I figured that my stuttering was from the HDD and I knew about symlinks but I never really thought about sticking the MPQ files on a flash drive haha.

Worked like a charm, now I have ghetto ssd :P

Played all day today and experienced ZERO non-latency related stutter. Even with three Wizards going bat sheit crazy with their spells.

Thanks a lot for the additional info!
Reply Quote
Would your method work with a second hdd, and close all application that were running on it ?
Edit: doesn't work, in fact it made it a bit worse
Edit 2: How about if i install the entire game on a separate hdd ?
Edited by Nemesis#1274 on 6/9/2012 3:35 AM PDT
Reply Quote
@up

I think it ain't gonna make any difference.
Reply Quote
06/09/2012 03:12 AMPosted by Nemesis

Some people in the first thread mention that they also had success with this method too. You could also treat your external HDD as if it were the flash drive in the described OP solution.
Reply Quote
06/09/2012 04:18 AMPosted by Edstroyer

Some people in the first thread mention that they also had success with this method too. You could also treat your external HDD as if it were the flash drive in the described OP solution.

You'll get the best performance by using a flash drive or sd card.

You can use an external hdd, but if you are using it for anything other then accessing the MPQ files you'll just be in the same position you were before. Also if it's a mechanical drive it will definitely be slower.
Reply Quote
someone should try this with ramdisk :D
Reply Quote
OK the fix worked for me, although the command line didnt work even though I made sure the drive letters were relevant, but the STEAM Mover utility for moving steam games to other drives did the trick.

The main issue I have is that I already run the game from an SSD drive with a Sandy Bridge 6gb SATA controler, so in theory I shouldnt be suffering from access speed issues anyway :-(

Im running an i5 2500k clocked to 4.6 ghz, 4GB DDR 3 RAM and an nivida GTX 580 with the latest drivers in 3D Vision.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]