Diablo® III

HDD Major-Stuttering Solved (Second Thread)

okay for those (like me)) that didn't know what to delete. Delete the FOLDER on the flash drive, when this is done the OS will delete the symbolic link at the same time. Then after the update from blizzard, copy the files to the flash again and restablish the link.
Reply Quote
well I am back. deleted the folder, updated diablo, copied the MPQs to the flash drive and TRIED to recreate the symbolic link. I get an error saying that "cannot create a file when that file already exists."

I assume that this refers to the .lnk file because I just did exactly what worked the time before the update. All types of files are visible and yet I cannot find any .lnk files to delete. I have rebooted just in case and still get the same error. the game runs but resourse monitor shows no access to the flash drive, so no link active.

if I rename the MPQs folder in the default location the launcher starts to do a download.

What am I doing wrong? EDIT: argh I forgot to rename the MPQs folder in the default location BEFORE creating the symbolic link. I hope this helps someone else and it's not JUST me
Edited by PoolQ#1848 on 12/13/2012 4:14 PM PST
Reply Quote
I tried installing the game onto a USB and it wouldn't let me :(

Now installing on a different hard drive.

I initially had the game on the SSD which my OS is on. Now re-installing the game onto a hard drive where my movies and stuff are. Hopefully that will help. If not will try the USB MPQ link solution.
Reply Quote
if u had diablo 3 on ssd even with os, i dont think it will help you. SSD provides best performance, even same drive i guess.
Edited by Apolios#2702 on 12/14/2012 5:50 AM PST
Reply Quote
Please make this a sticky.
Reply Quote
I have complied some of the ideas here and wrote a script to automate the symbolic links creation. you can head over my github repo https://github.com/megablue/d3mpqlink to download it!

you can use 16GB or 8GB + 4GB or 4GB + 4GB + 4GB USB flash drive.
you might also tell the script to host sound.mpq on a specific RAMdrive.
Edited by megablue#6540 on 12/15/2012 10:36 AM PST
Reply Quote
man i cant belive but it totaly worked for me!! :) game was super annoying before this solution. tnx it rly helped A LOT !!
Reply Quote
YAY ... this TOTALLY worked for me!! Thanks so much. Saw the thread, went to walmart for sandisk, and now playing D3 smooth for first time. This solution needs to be made public. In fact they should offer the game on a flash drive, heck they could brand it with nice graphics, who cares. I was about to leave the game today for the third and final time until I finally found this thread, and before this I tried lots of stuff that did not work....
Reply Quote
How do you get it on a USB Device? The installer simply says I can't put it in any folder on the drive. Copying the D3 folder to the drive gets stuck on a certain MPQ and never progresses after a few hours.
Reply Quote
AWESOME Post....my Flash drive has a blue light on it that blinks when being accessed....Its ridic how much it blinks playing this game....I mean seriously wtf Blizz lol....
Reply Quote
12/16/2012 05:54 PMPosted by Zorton
In fact they should offer the game on a flash drive

I don't know why games aren't released on USB sticks in general... They are cheap as chips these days and the installation and playing process would be so much smoother then from DVD/HDD.
Reply Quote
No update today right just maintenance so no need to redo it?
Reply Quote
I am STILL getting stutter issues when loading resources with the latest patch on a fast 660 Ti card and with Diablo installed on an SSD drive!!! Help?
Reply Quote
86 Pandaren Monk
Finally got around to getting a USB stick. It's only 16GB, and the brand is Kodak. Huge difference in performance than running it off of the hard drive. Its like the game was meant for usb thumb drives, lol. Almost 0 hitching compared to the hitch fast from my HD. I can actually play it now. I only have 3GB free though, so once a expansion comes out or big updates come out, I'll be back to hitch fest, unless I find a bigger USB stick. I'm sure I'll have to get a 32GB at some point.

The 16GB was only $10.
Reply Quote
Would using the provided cd for the game work instead of using a 16gb drive that i dont have?

I wouldnt see why the game disk wouldnt work.I also have to say im on a ata drive and the light doesnt blink often but game stutters like hell.It maybe internet?
Edited by JacobsHell#1185 on 1/7/2013 9:43 AM PST
Reply Quote
Had major stutter issues playing on lowest settings. It overheats my laptop.
Asus g74sx with Nvidia GTX 560M
Before 1.0.3 ran fine, then 1.0.4 minor stutter and then 1.0.5 unplayable.
Hoping this will fix it.
Just got a 32 gb flash drive and I copied the whole diablo 3 folder.
It's copying now, will report back with updates.

Edit: Played for a couple hours last night and it's perfect.
Back to full settings, full screen and absolutely no stutter and no overheating.
Thank god.
Thank you.
I recommend anyone to do this now if they are having any issues.
It sucks we have to, at least we can play..
Edited by Jish#1993 on 1/8/2013 12:13 PM PST
Reply Quote
Very clever workaround! Most impressive. :)

I have good news for those of you affected specifically by the stuttering caused by hard drive read rates. Our engineers are hard at work on this issue and it should be fixed in an upcoming patch. At this time I can't promise which upcoming patch the fix will make it into, so please don't despair if a patch rolls out and the issue continues. We'll develop the fix, get it tested, and put it into a patch as quickly as we safely can.

It's been 7-8 months now, any chance on 1.0.7 having the solution for it?
Reply Quote
Im getting more stuttering than before doing this... so wtf i have done wrong? xD
Reply Quote
25.5.2012 Bluepost:
"I have good news for those of you affected specifically by the stuttering caused by hard drive read rates. Our engineers are hard at work on this issue and it should be fixed in an upcoming patch. At this time I can't promise which upcoming patch the fix will make it into, so please don't despair if a patch rolls out and the issue continues. We'll develop the fix, get it tested, and put it into a patch as quickly as we safely can.
"
Cmon Blizz, why is this taking so long?
Edited by Braindeath#2742 on 1/23/2013 12:09 AM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]