Diablo® III

HDD Major-Stuttering Solved (Second Thread)

can some help me with this hard linking mpq files using usb flash drive....

i have dont this all explained in this 3 pictures

http://img46.imageshack.us/img46/8733/qs50.png
http://img842.imageshack.us/img842/2762/3er6.png
http://img856.imageshack.us/img856/1852/q9rj.png

but it seems i failed somehow.
when starting using laucher i get error to check my internet connetion..
http://img841.imageshack.us/img841/790/o4gn.jpg

when overgo laucher and start with -launch i get this error

http://img826.imageshack.us/img826/423/boeq.jpg

if some can help me and explain where i got wrong plz help me.

i trying to hard link the mpq files( cant all have only 8gb flash drive).....
Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
View profile
DEADY,

You can simply copy the whole D3 directory from Program Files onto the USB drive. Once done, go to the USB drive and run the launcher.exe to launch the game. If you want, you can right click the launcher.exe file and create a desktop shortcut as well. I realize you don't have a big enough USB drive to do it, but that is honestly the easiest way to run it.
Edited by MissCheetah#1661 on 10/28/2013 4:57 AM PDT
Reply Quote
10/28/2013 04:56 AMPosted by MissCheetah
You can simply copy the whole D3 directory from Program Files onto the USB drive.

like he said, he has a 8GB flash drive. you need minimum 13GB space (i.e. a 16GB drive ) for D3. so his only choice is to link the files.
Reply Quote
if some can help me and explain where i got wrong plz help me.

i trying to hard link the mpq files( cant all have only 8gb flash drive).....

sure. i use to have them spread out over 2 flash drives lol :P
i dont even use this method now, but i can tell you how to do it :)

edit:
hmmm...
im getting the same thing. odd, it use to work.
Edited by Morogoth#1321 on 10/28/2013 11:47 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
Got a 64 GB USB 3.0 flash drive for running D3.

Should I format to NTFS or exFAT?

And what should my allocation unit size be?

EDIT: okay I found that exFAT should be faster. NEW QUESTION THOUGH! I have the new battle.net beta launcher. Whenever I use my USB shortcut it just opens the battle.net launcher and I think it's running the game from its default location. Any advice?
Edited by Lamonster#1554 on 11/21/2013 4:20 PM PST
Reply Quote
11/21/2013 03:48 PMPosted by Astelynne
Got a 64 GB USB 3.0 flash drive for running D3.

Should I format to NTFS or exFAT?

And what should my allocation unit size be?

EDIT: okay I found that exFAT should be faster. NEW QUESTION THOUGH! I have the new battle.net beta launcher. Whenever I use my USB shortcut it just opens the battle.net launcher and I think it's running the game from its default location. Any advice?

with the battle.net beta launcher highlight Diablo 3, underneath the D3 logo hit options>game settings>Game Install/Update

You will see "Game Installation" as the title, underneath you can change the default install directory as well as the "folder used for game play". I would try changing the folder used for gameplay to your USB, then hit done, and try hitting play.
Reply Quote
Any word on an update?
I did this awhile ago and it worked. Stopped playing and got rid of the drive.
Before I spend more money on another drive any other fixes? I also have a 4gb drive maybe I could just transfer the audio files over? At a loss here, just want to get back into d3.
!@#$ing blizzard...
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
Perfect, thanks!
Reply Quote
11/21/2013 09:08 PMPosted by Astelynne
Perfect, thanks!

enjoy :)
Reply Quote
Deleted.
Edited by Jarod#2542 on 11/30/2013 11:22 AM PST
Reply Quote
A word of caution here about using the beta launcher - make sure the game path is correctly linked (under Game Install/Update under Game Settings) to the new directory or else the launcher will not detect it and fail to patch, resulting in error BLZBNTAGT000008A4.

Happened to me and I had to correct the link.
Edited by rahl#6100 on 12/5/2013 10:17 AM PST
Reply Quote
Humongous improvement.

Thank you for relieving me of my migraine. :D
Reply Quote
Absolutely ridiculous that this worked. I have been playing quite a few games no problem but Diablo 3 was causing my system such strain that I thought my video card was going or something. I tried everything to reduce the graphics to lowest settings, run in window mode, everything was shutdown in the background and still no improvements. I mean all of that made no difference at all.

But installing Diablo 3 on a flash drive made it so I could return all the graphics to highest settings and increase the fps without issue. My game now runs nearly perfect and the only performance hit is back to small spikes in graphics when there are too many people casting spells with too many monsters. This would have completely locked my game up before!

What I can't believe is that the original thread for this was started back in 2012. I was expecting this second thread to have a post somewhere saying it was fixed! Nearly two years and this poor excuse for programming is still around. Any programmer fresh out of school knows that any immediately relevant information should be loaded into memory for faster use then removed when no longer needed. Requiring all information to be read directly off of the hard drive in all cases is just moronic!
Reply Quote
Hi,
I have a 64gig usb 2 stick formatted in Xfat....does it need to be in NTFS,
thanks in advance to Edstroyer and others whom have contributed.
Cheers mw.

Edit: my bad if this has been answered, I read all 26 pages of Op but first and last of this post Lol..:)
Edited by motiewarrior#1136 on 1/19/2014 2:52 PM PST
Reply Quote
Hello,

I just bought a 16 gig USB for Diablo 3 and didn't stop to think about RoS making the game bigger.

Is it all still going to fit? What about when the game patches?

:(
Reply Quote
sorry to bump but apparently it doesn't even let you update on a 32 due to space. does that method of only moving certain game files and linking them still work with this new battle.net launcher system? Will I have to be redoing things every time there is an update?
Reply Quote
Thought it was my video card. Play BF4 no problem. Thought maybe it was my crossfire. Turn it off, same problem. Updated to beta drive, same problem. finally search the forum for a solution... Was going to buy a flash drive but end up buying a SSD 128 MB instead. So you can say this is the first time i got to buy a new hard drive to play a game instead of a new video card. LOL good job blizzard :-O
Reply Quote
Is this still reason (game files not preloaded properly) why D3 is stuttering??? I didnt play a long time and when I came back to D3 few days ago it was stuttering like hell. Funny thing is I didnt have this issue before.
Reply Quote
03/02/2014 01:41 PMPosted by Mettiu
Is this still reason (game files not preloaded properly) why D3 is stuttering??? I didnt play a long time and when I came back to D3 few days ago it was stuttering like hell. Funny thing is I didnt have this issue before.

Same here..and a lot of people here have this issue now whereas everything was good before the patch.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]