Diablo® III

HDD Major-Stuttering Solved (Second Thread)

06/09/2012 03:24 PMPosted by Foulplay
The main issue I have is that I already run the game from an SSD drive with a Sandy Bridge 6gb SATA controler, so in theory I shouldnt be suffering from access speed issues anyway :-(

No one yet knows what exactly allows the game to run stutter free on some systems, and not on others. We only know the following:

1) The problem causing the stuttering is slow HDD Read Response Time (RRT)
2) Some systems are effected by it and some are not (regardless of specs)

So most likely has to do with background running programs and/or operating system.
Reply Quote
I am afraid to try this. it looks really complicated.

Does anyone know what patch 1.02b did?

I experienced almost ZERO lag spike and then after that patch it's lag spike fest. I can't play this game if there is lag spike because a champion can kill me in one second. I don't know how many times I've died.
Reply Quote

Its not complicated. Its very detailed, which makes it look complicated.

really, its three easy steps:
1) copy MPQs folder to flash drive
2) rename original MPQs folder
3) create symbolic link

when you write them out in details, its seams like a lot.
Reply Quote
06/10/2012 07:37 AMPosted by Edstroyer

Its not complicated. Its very detailed, which makes it look complicated.

really, its three easy steps:
1) copy MPQs folder to flash drive
2) rename original MPQs folder
3) create symbolic link

when you write them out in details, its seams like a lot.

Cool. Do I need a big flash drive?
Reply Quote
Just for information. I obtained the same result by copying the entire Diablo III file onto my 32GB HP flash drive.
Reply Quote
Regarding going back to normal after employing this workaround:

Edstroyer

You just delete the symbolic link file (with an arrow on it). Then rename the original folder on your HDD back to its original name, that is, "MPQs".

thats it

Is that really all it will take? Maybe it's my limited knowledge of how the MPQ files work, but if you employ this method for several months, then Blizzard releases a patch no longer needing it as a work around, won't the MPQ files still stored on the local HD be far out of date?

Thanks for any elaboration and a BIG thanks for coming up with this work around. I'm going to give it a shot tonight.
Edited by Grungust#1617 on 6/11/2012 12:16 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Its seems like a well thought of work around, has anyone requested a sticky? Seems like if it works and people can increase they play experience then, this thread would be a great sticky.
Also, This author of this thread (Edstroyer) should imo, get a free month at least, for his time spent figuring this out...
Reply Quote
Bleh. Don't see a fix in the patch notes for tomorrows patch. Shouldn't this be fixed asap? Who cares about achievements. I just want to play without my screen stuttering every time I see or fight something new.
Reply Quote
Just curious but what size are y'all page files set to?
How much RAM on board?
Are y'all running 64 bit or 32 bit OS (I would assume windows)?
All these factor can impact how much and/or often D3 needs to access your HD...

Note: In the original post there was a blue post about this thread.
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5149178443?page=10#198

So, hopefully there will be a fix soon.
Reply Quote
Hey Ed. I installed and ran the game from my 3.0 usb external hdd and the game still has serious fps stuttering. Even Blizzard says my system meets the reccommended requirements. I'm kind of at a loss. Any suggestions?
Reply Quote
Hey Ed. I installed and ran the game from my 3.0 usb external hdd and the game still has serious fps stuttering. Even Blizzard says my system meets the reccommended requirements. I'm kind of at a loss. Any suggestions?

Yeah, buy yourself a 16GB USB flash drive and follow the OP. Mechanical HDD have a 10ms seek time.
Reply Quote
I see. I'll give it a try. Is the command part any different for vista?
Reply Quote
06/12/2012 08:35 PMPosted by Rion
Is the command part any different for vista?

I don't think so. Just make sure you have the right drive letter.
Reply Quote
06/11/2012 12:50 PMPosted by Ayperos
Bleh. Don't see a fix in the patch notes for tomorrows patch. Shouldn't this be fixed asap? Who cares about achievements. I just want to play without my screen stuttering every time I see or fight something new.

That's because Blizzard doesn't care. Search the forums and you will find hundreds of threads on this issue without a single blue response. I haven't played the game in weeks now because of this.
Reply Quote
I don't even wan't to install the game on an SD card. Looks at those specs...

- i7 2600k @ 4.6ghz
- 16gb ram, ripjawsX @ 2133 mhz.
- Gigabyte 560ti (stock frequencies)
- Crucial M4 ssd over a nice little sata 3 port, for win7, not fragmented at all.
- 2x Caviar Black 7200rpm 64mb cache in raid0 for programs, not fragmented at all.

Nvidia drivers up to date, of course.

How the hell can you experience stuttering with this monster? I have been able to play sc2 in full hd WHILE recording @ 60fps in full hd WHILE streaming with a ludicrous quality. HOW THE HELL CAN IT LAG?
Reply Quote
Just wanted to say thank you so much. I knew my system could run this game fine, but kept running into stutters whenever someone would open a chest or things like that. It was my freakin' HDD! I've since moved D3 to my SSD and all is smooth.
Reply Quote
Stuttering recently returned after being stutter free for two weeks. I have no idea what to do.
Reply Quote
I am using a SSD for diabloIII and the stuttering still occur during the game, even some 1-3s major hd reading freeze. I have to pause the game immediately to prevent hc death, what a joke bz

I read a post about this problem saying its due to the APM function of the hard disk. The way to solve is using programmes like quiethdd to turn the APM off.
Edited by Solybaby#6464 on 6/13/2012 1:50 PM PDT
Reply Quote
06/13/2012 01:48 PMPosted by Solybaby
I am using a SSD for diabloIII and the stuttering still occur during the game, even some 1-3s major hd reading freeze.

Because it looks like you have the game installed on the same drive as your operating system.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]