Diablo® III

HDD Major-Stuttering Solved (Second Thread)

if you have 32 bit vista you wont see the x86
Reply Quote
But it say that the name of the folder can't be find or is incorrect.

Check the path and the name of the folders...

Check if "C:\Program Files\Diablo III\Data_D3\PC\MPQs" exist,
then check if G:/MPQs exist.
Reply Quote

Doesn t exist. Do i have to switch the "MPQs" with the one i have renamed?
Reply Quote
What is the difference with putting the whole game on your USB stick without making these links?

I have a 32 GB stick...
Edited by Phroster#2174 on 6/16/2012 5:29 AM PDT
Reply Quote

Doesn t exist. Do i have to switch the "MPQs" with the one i have renamed?

Sorry my bad, it's :
cd "C:\Program Files\Diablo III\Data_D3\PC"
mklink /j "C:\Program Files\Diablo III\Data_D3\PC\MPQs " "G:\MPQs"

You confirm your USB key have the G: letter ?

Something in command not working, try to find where is your mistake (i'm not familiar with commands, so I don't see where is your error)... Maybe Edstroyer can help you with that...

Or try the XP SOLUTION (that work for Vista to).
Edited by Constasio#1308 on 6/16/2012 6:27 AM PDT
Reply Quote
This doesn't fix the constant stuttering I get. My game is already installed on an SSD raid array anyhow, this method just makes things even slower for me.

I think it's something to do with assets needing to be loaded from the server on the fly while playing the game.
Reply Quote
cd "C:\Program Files\Diablo III\Data_D3\PC"

You confirm your USB key have the G: letter ?

Something in command not working, try to find where is your mistake (i'm not familiar with commands, so I don't see where is your error)... Maybe Edstroyer can help you with that...

Or try the XP SOLUTION (that work for Vista to).

I m on vista 32 bit, do i have to put the x86 or not? And i m sure my usb key is G:

I ve once tried the XP solution, but it didn t work, maybe i ll try it again, but you sure it work for vista too?
Edited by Askelon#2304 on 6/16/2012 6:45 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I m on vista 32 bit, do i have to put the x86 or not?

If you dont see it on the path on your machin, then dont put it.

If that not work, tell us point by point all you do... It's pretty sure you make a mistake somewhere....

1)
2)
3)

etc.

P.S. Sorry for my bad english... ^^
Edited by Constasio#1308 on 6/16/2012 6:48 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I also have an SDD drive, and I get better performance with a dedicated SSD disk, then a USB flash drive. Even better when loading it into you RAM. With a RAMdisk.

Also this does not solve the problem, only makes it less anoying.
Stutters are still there...

Only thing that bother me is that blizzard released this game unoptimized, as you can clearly notice worse and worse stutters, as you go through the acts.

Act1 has the least stutters, and act 4 seems just rushed by the developers, as it stutters the most, in some places constantly... Other places like the Ocules run smooth, but when you portal back to heaven you get stutters again.
Reply Quote
06/16/2012 06:48 AMPosted by Constasio
I m on vista 32 bit, do i have to put the x86 or not?

If you dont see it on the path on your machin, then dont put it.

If that not work, tell us point by point all you do... It's pretty sure you make a mistake somewhere....

1)
2)
3)

etc.

P.S. Sorry for my bad english... ^^

Français aussi? ;p

I ve tried the:
C:\Program Files\Diablo III\Data_D3\PC"

It says that:

1)C:\Program Files\Diablo III\Data_D3\PC" is not recognize as an inter or extern command, an executable program or command files.

2) Jonction create for"C:\Program Files\Diablo III\Data_D3\PC\MPQs " <==> "G:\MPQs"

I ll give it a try and tell you if it has work.

Edit: It didn t work, the stutter have diminished in town, but in battle, it have gotten worse.
Edited by Askelon#2304 on 6/16/2012 7:31 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I bought Diablo 3 a couple days ago, and I was shocked at how much the game stuttered. I knew it wasn't my computer since it is more than capable of running this game. So I did a little research and found this thread, and decided to give it a try. I went to best buy and got myself a sandisk USB 16GB Flash Drive at a relatively cheap price. I also have a 2nd HDD in my laptop, so I just went the extra mile and copied the entire D3 Folder to my second hard drive , then followed the steps (non cmd) with the USB and needless to say, this worked perfectly. I no longer see those awful stutters and the game runs at a stable 60FPS pretty much most of the times on high settings, as opposed to the constant stutter every 3 mins. Thanks for the awesome work around. I definitely would recommend anyone else with this issue to try out the work around.

P.S - running Diablo on an ASUS G74 Laptop. Here are my system specs:

Operating System - MS Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1
CPU - Intel Core i7 2630qm @ 2.00GHz
RAM - 12 GB
Graphics - 3072MB GeForce GTX 560M
Reply Quote
Français aussi? ;p

oui ^^ Je ne sais pas si j'ai le droit de parler français sur le forum anglais... Je pourrais te répondre en français ici (Lavie):

http://forum.judgehype.com/judgehype/Diablo-III/problemes-ralentissements-stuttering-sujet_1620_1.htm

Edit: It didn t work, the stutter have diminished in town, but in battle, it have gotten worse.

You just said the command doesn't work ? ^^ ( ".. is not recognize as an inter or extern command, an executable program or command files")

If you the operation is successful, and you still have Stuttering, give us information about your configuration.
Edited by Constasio#1308 on 6/16/2012 8:59 AM PDT
Reply Quote
First of all, i want to thank OP for this thread. I was already crying from stutters - and without that fix, i doubt i'd made it to the Inferno act 3. Most likely, i'd be still sitting at Hell Belial.

And the second point: you can replace all junction creation and 5 pages of 'junction creating errors' by just copying entire Diablo3 folder onto flash drive and playing from it. It will be much more simple than playing with NTFS standard.

There were some discussions on 'why usb hard drive won't work' - HDD has much larger time to access file than SSD (or usb flash) has. That's why even 2.0 usb flash drive should be enough. I was lucky to have bought notebook with usb 3.0, so i'm using 3.0 16gb flash.

Updates are working fine, because i am launching game from the flash itself. It updates the folder it's in, and i play diablo.

By the way - i don't think Blizzard are able to do something about that. Loading resources on-demand is a part of game engine, and you can't change something that deep easily. Source engine has the same problem for me, and for last 8 years it was not fixed. More than that, stuttering happens even in new source games - TF2, Portal 2 etc.
The most what can Blizz do is to try to analyse which spells mob and players /might/ possibly cast, which animations and audio they might do and to keep them in memory since level loading - but each time a new piece of gear will drop from them, you will have a possibility of stutter, because it's too much of memory usage to keep all possible gear models in the RAM of your PC (or in the memory of videocard).
However, they can add 'no-stutter' option, which will replace most sound effects, animations or gear models with their 'generic' model - this 'shortened' version of a game can be kept in memory, so d3 won't have to access HDD after level loading.
Edited by Dantrag#1159 on 6/16/2012 9:23 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Hi Ed, i followed your method all the way till step 6 till "
right-click anywhere inside the "PC" folder and select > Drop As ..> Symbolic Link."

but when i right click there wasn't any option symbolic link, there were only
1)Junction
2)Smart copy
3)Smart Mirror
4)DeLorean Copy
5)Hardlink Clone
Reply Quote
Hi !

Choose 1)Junction

That work for me !
Reply Quote
Hi !

Choose 1)Junction

That work for me !

Thanks for the feedback. I added this to the OP for others.
Reply Quote
in short, just copy the entire contents of the folder diablo 3 on a USB drive and make it run for?
Reply Quote
Hey blizz there's been 4 patches now since release.

Where is our fix?

bump
Reply Quote
39 Blood Elf Paladin
What if my response times are all between 9 and 14 for my Diablo MPQs and I still have terrible FPS during big fights and object destruction? Could this still be a solution, or might it be something else?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]