Diablo® III

HDD Major-Stuttering Solved (Second Thread)

That actually helped a bit. Still not perfect but definetly helped. Thank you very much.
Reply Quote
06/16/2012 04:33 PMPosted by Tir
What if my response times are all between 9 and 14 for my Diablo MPQs and I still have terrible FPS during big fights and object destruction? Could this still be a solution, or might it be something else?

Please read post #3 in this thread. It will help you understand.

particularly:
1) Your read response time (RRT) should be less than 10ms (best) or 20ms (subjectively acceptable) for you NOT to notice any stuttering :).

and
06/07/2012 05:14 PMPosted by Edstroyer
4) You are more likely to notice stuttering if you are running the game at high FPS (80-120FPS). You will need a RRT less than 8ms or no more than 10ms. This is not a problem because USB/SD flash drives give you RRT between 3 and 5 ms or better.
Edited by Edstroyer#1680 on 6/16/2012 8:47 PM PDT
Reply Quote
06/16/2012 01:52 PMPosted by Paxo
still gonna try the sd card fix for the slight stutter i get every once in while though

OK AWESOME. I did this and only this and now i have absolutly no stutter! Thanks to all. If anyone still has this problem i am sure the mklink will do the trick. Hooray for the D3 community. It wasnt a Blizzard problem after all :) lol
Reply Quote
06/16/2012 08:40 PMPosted by Edstroyer
What if my response times are all between 9 and 14 for my Diablo MPQs and I still have terrible FPS during big fights and object destruction? Could this still be a solution, or might it be something else?

i meant quote his whole post on my previous post. Meaning the power supply setting switch fixed my stuttering
Reply Quote
Does the solution with linkshell works with windows vista too?
Reply Quote
06/17/2012 03:40 AMPosted by Askelon
Does the solution with linkshell works with windows vista too?

yes
Reply Quote
According to some users, there is a trick even easier to run ...

1) Copy the entire folder Diablo III (C: \ Program Files \ Diablo III) on the USB key or SD card
2) Start the game from the new location ... (Diablo III Launcher.exe)...
Reply Quote
As the title of thread says, " mayor" stutter.
This is just caused by using a mechanical drive, instead of SDD or USB flash drive. Wich just has alot lower latency and better read speeds, but this is not a fix, the issue is still there, only it changes into a minor stutter. Wich might be seen as a fix on a low end system.
With a mechanical hard drive instead of an SSD. (dont buy an SSD just for this game, because it still stutters, there are just smaller stutters, less anoying, but still there.

But I should not even have any stutters at all, not even a small one, when loading,
because this game is badly optimized.
Only poorly optimized games, have a stutter when assets are loaded.
For instance Skyrim and Max Payne 3 run constantly smooth with 60 fps, maybe a slight almost invisible fluctuation in the FPS, wich is barely noticable.

But the way this game stutters, is insane.
And to be honest, Blizzard never actually really cared about performance if you look at SC2 and the way WoW runs, wich also has " minor " very little fps lags when you run around.

specs:
i7 2600k 4.0ghz
680GTX
16GB RAM
SSD Drive

Im also wondering what kind of specs you guys have, and claim that this is some kind of magic fix for all the stutters.
This is not true at all, as it only less worse then before...
Reply Quote
This is just caused by using a mechanical drive, instead of SDD or USB flash drive.

If you have the system and the game on the same SDD you have stuttering..., the UBS key "tip" give you 0 stuttering... I have zero stuttering with a minimal configuration... And some "big specs" like your's have lag because the game and the system are on the same HD (SDD).

my config :

Asus P5QL PRO
Intel P45/P43
Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 3000MHz
2048Mo (2 x 1024 DDR2-SDRAM )
ATI Radeon HD 4800 Series
Windows XP Professionnel 5.01.2600 Service Pack 3 (32bits)
DirectX : Version 9.0c
Edited by Constasio#1308 on 6/17/2012 7:52 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I should have also noted that I use 2 SSDs, one for windows partition, the other is a physical different SSD for diablo.

But i'm not saying that this doesn't work completely, the fix works, only some people claim it totally resolves the stutters, as I said, it turns them from mayor into minor stutters.
But it's still there... Even on an SSD, the stutters are very small. (some people might not notice these as I can imagine, because of framerate, and their own perception.)
Reply Quote
But i'm not saying that this doesn't work completely, the fix works, only some people claim it totally resolves the stutters, as I said, it turns them from mayor into minor stutters.
But it's still there... Even on an SSD, the stutters are very small. (some people might not notice these as I can imagine, because of framerate, and their own perception.)

Video stuttering beyond human perception is no longer considered stuttering by definition.

According to the research done in post #3, using a USB/SD flash drive will result in 3-5ms RRT (or better), which is beyond human detection. This, in fact, means human perceived stuttering is gone (or problem solved).
Reply Quote
Ed, thanks a lot! I've been scavenging both EU and US forums (i play on the eu server) for the past two weeks searching for a workaround for my severe cycling fps drops and stuttering. This simple solution (I just ended up copying the entire d3 folder to an external drive) ensures that I get a decent 15-20 fps almost constantly. Finally makes the game playable.

I'm surprised I even got to Nightmare lvl 45 under the previous horrible conditions.

Hell, here I come.
Reply Quote
Ed, thanks a lot! I've been scavenging both EU and US forums (i play on the eu server) for the past two weeks searching for a workaround for my severe cycling fps drops and stuttering. This simple solution (I just ended up copying the entire d3 folder to an external drive) ensures that I get a decent 15-20 fps almost constantly. Finally makes the game playable.

I'm surprised I even got to Nightmare lvl 45 under the previous horrible conditions.

Hell, here I come.

You're welcome. Glad it helped :) .. now go to "Hell" ;)
Reply Quote
Will an external HD work? I only have an 8 gig usb D:
Reply Quote
im still getting aroudn 10-14 fps while playing. is this normal? or is it just lag?
Reply Quote
So, where is this patch to help with the stuttering? They said they were working on something weeks ago. I sure hope its in this weeks patch. I can't play it as much as I'd like cause this problem gets in the way. I'm sure they will fix it. I can play SC2 and WoW with Ultra settings, and they are pretty smooth.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
APM
This should not be necessary to play a game that should be expected to run fine on its own
Reply Quote
I had thought my graphic card couldn't handle d3. I couldn't find my USB drive, so had to use my nokia5800. I couldn't make space for 7+gb, so I tried this with 3-4 large sized .mpq, and it completely ended all my stuttering problems.

Thanks a lot.<3 This should be stickied.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]