Diablo® III

HDD Major-Stuttering Solved (Second Thread)

welp, doesn't look like this was addressed at all in the new patch. oh well.
Reply Quote
Yeah, still get it too. Wtf?! They added smooth shadows, but didn't address this crippling at times stuttering?
Reply Quote
I could have sworn it was mentioned somewhere that they were going to address this to some extent in 1.0.3, but I guess that's just not the case.

Meh.
Reply Quote
I guess it'll never be fixed. One more week and I guess I'm going to get a 16gb usb stick. Knowing my luck It'll still do it for me.

Did anyone else's cinematics disappear? I only have 1 under Act 1, all the rest are gone.
Reply Quote
ha I knew it. discouraged and let down again.
Reply Quote
Amazing they didn't fixed anything with the loading assets again.
Since the release im not even playing this game, if i load the game from a Usb stick i got " Micro stuttering" which is annoying.

If i load the game from my HDD , the game is unplayable, so i think is bye bye for this game, time to try something new, and well i will not buy anything from Blizzard anymore.
Reply Quote
Thank you so much, I can confirm that this works! I can finally play the game now!!
Reply Quote
View profile
they didn't fix jack in this patch, same problems :( sigh, i give up
Reply Quote
Can anyone that has successfully resolved the problems with a USB stick, tell me what read speed it had?

I still had some cheap !@# 16gb stick here but it only manages 15mb/s. Although it does improve a lot on the stuttering, it is not perfectly smooth.

I saw a USB stick that manages 30 mb/s in a store that is not too expensive but if that is not going to resolve it completely, I rather save the 20 euro's for something else.

Ofcourse I could try a dedicated SSD drive but that is maybe slightly over the top :)
Reply Quote
Don't bother with an SSD. I'm running one and it stutters.

The last few weeks been running from an external HD, worked at about 30fps not much more. Bought a Flash drive to see if that makes it a little better since I hear mechanical drives are worse. I've tried to create a symbolic link awhile ago and now my game says to close my anti virus. I close it and it still doesn't open. Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?
Reply Quote
Hey Guys, Just tried this

I haven't got a 16gb flash drive only an 8, so i looked at the code and it was just so close i figured I could somehow cut a corner to make it fit, and sure enough i think I am succesful. So for everyone out there not wanting to purchase another flash drive when they have an 8 here is what I did:

I moved everything to my flash drive except enUS_Cutscene.mpq this totaled 6.37 gigs

I renamed all the files i was going to link, to something like 1CoreData.mpq

Then i looked at the MPQs directory and I created a symbolic link to Every mpq file EXCEPT enUS_Cutscene.mpq

So I had to run a command prompt as Admin and create a link the same way as previous except you do not use the /j call.....

so my code looked like this

mklink "C:\Program Files (x86)\Diablo III\Data_D3\PC\MPQs\CoreData.mpq" "E:\CoreData.mpq"

so i did this for all mpq files except the cutscene one. But I also created the symbolic link for the four directories in that folder as well with the /j call

ex.
mklink /j "C:\Program Files (x86)\Diablo III\Data_D3\PC\MPQs\Cache" "E:\Cache"

So no problems and i checked resourse monitor, and it is all running from my E: drive. I haven't run into a cut scene yet, but i don't expect any problems, becasue they should be calling from their original directory as originally intended.

So using this method I was able to fit it all on a 8 gb Stick!!!

Now for those more tech savy, I have a question....Would it increase performance if i where to cut out the folders such as Cache that are being written to???? Thus freeing up more bandwidth for the mpq's to be loaded faster?
I have increased my performance a lot, but i still have a hiccup here and there, im wondering if i get rid of the links that are being written to might give me more of a boost.

EDIT: Actually on second look I did not notice anything being written to my flash Drive, only read.
Edited by Vladdrac#1442 on 6/19/2012 9:25 PM PDT
Reply Quote
06/19/2012 11:51 AMPosted by darkslayer
they didn't fix jack in this patch, same problems :( sigh, i give up
Reply Quote
80 Tauren Hunter
Can anyone that has successfully resolved the problems with a USB stick, tell me what read speed it had?

I still had some cheap !@# 16gb stick here but it only manages 15mb/s. Although it does improve a lot on the stuttering, it is not perfectly smooth.

I saw a USB stick that manages 30 mb/s in a store that is not too expensive but if that is not going to resolve it completely, I rather save the 20 euro's for something else.

Ofcourse I could try a dedicated SSD drive but that is maybe slightly over the top :)

It's not about the read speed, it's about the read latency.

Watching in Resource Monitor, my high quality USB thumb drive is reading the MPQ files with a latency of 1-8 ms whereas my hard drive, which I had defragged using an advanced defragmenting program which placed the Diablo files in the fastest part of the hard drive, would have a read latency of 25-40 ms.

USB drive trick worked wonders for me.
Edited by MyKillK#1335 on 6/20/2012 12:10 PM PDT
Reply Quote
80 Tauren Hunter
The asset loading stutter actually became MUCH worse for me in 1.0.3.

Using the USB drive trick, I had basically eliminated the stutter. But now, in 1.0.3, when I mouse over a selectable object, it totally creams the FPS. Drops to like 15-20 =\

I'm not amused.
Reply Quote
I hadn't had much issues with this before, but after the patch I'm getting stuttering all the time. The game is almost unplayable.
Reply Quote
I just noticed I have the cool n quite option in my bios, set to on, will it really have a difference if I turn if off? I'm afraid it might make my computer hotter. And it being summer time in Texas is something I don't want. lol
Edited by Ayperos#1584 on 6/20/2012 1:03 PM PDT
Reply Quote
There is no reason we as paying customers should have to jump through hoops like this, to play a game we payed for. In my humble opinion.
But I'm sure there is something about it in the TOS agreement that I've overlooked.
Reply Quote
Mykillk
80 Tauren Hunter

The asset loading stutter actually became MUCH worse for me in 1.0.3.

Using the USB drive trick, I had basically eliminated the stutter. But now, in 1.0.3, when I mouse over a selectable object, it totally creams the FPS. Drops to like 15-20 =\

I'm not amused.

Hm well I bought a new USB drive and unfortunately indeed since patch 1.03 it has gotten worse. The USB trick is no longer working for me.

Well at least now I have two 12 gb usb drives I never use :(

Even if I set the resolution to 800*600 it stutters. Not all the time but eventually it keeps stuttering and you can not play anymore. Gonna try to reset my router, maybe that helps :)
Edited by Salixis#2296 on 6/20/2012 1:49 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Hm well I bought a new USB drive and unfortunately indeed since patch 1.03 it has gotten worse. The USB trick is no longer working for me.

Well at least now I have two 12 gb usb drives I never use :(

Even if I set the resolution to 800*600 it stutters. Not all the time but eventually it keeps stuttering and you can not play anymore. Gonna try to reset my router, maybe that helps :)

I've actually noticed a lot of network lag (latency) after 1.0.3. This is probably normal since everyone is back to test out the new patch. My network latency makes my game run in slow motion (or choppy) for small bursts of time. This is mostly noticed when playing with others. When I play alone, I don't experience any of it.
Reply Quote
I was in Act III, and I got actually freezes. I never saw this before. It was my wizard using disintegrate, when he did the screen froze for over 4 secs, ended up dying. What are they doing over there at blizzard? The game is amazing, but the programmers not so much. :/
Edited by Ayperos#1584 on 6/20/2012 5:14 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]