Diablo® III

HDD Major-Stuttering Solved (Second Thread)

View profile
06/20/2012 05:14 PMPosted by Ayperos
What are they doing over there at blizzard? The game is amazing, but the programmers not so much. :/

My thoughts exactly
Reply Quote
I'm also in the same boat, where I was using the External drive to run the game and now it doesn't work....

Really? It's been months now (Had this problem since beta) and nothing has been done. I've seen one blue post about the subject and it wasn't very informative at all.

Quite upset to be honest...
Reply Quote
06/20/2012 05:14 PMPosted by Ayperos
I was in Act III, and I got actually freezes. I never saw this before. It was my wizard using disintegrate, when he did the screen froze for over 4 secs, ended up dying. What are they doing over there at blizzard? The game is amazing, but the programmers not so much. :/

This is called network latency. It has nothing to do with the game programmers (software engineers). It's like calling your car crappy because of a traffic jam.
Reply Quote
06/21/2012 05:33 AMPosted by Edstroyer
I was in Act III, and I got actually freezes. I never saw this before. It was my wizard using disintegrate, when he did the screen froze for over 4 secs, ended up dying. What are they doing over there at blizzard? The game is amazing, but the programmers not so much. :/

This is called network latency. It has nothing to do with the game programmers (software engineers). It's like calling your car crappy because of a traffic jam.

Erm, but my latency was not even 120.
Reply Quote
06/20/2012 01:02 PMPosted by Ayperos
I just noticed I have the cool n quite option in my bios, set to on, will it really have a difference if I turn if off? I'm afraid it might make my computer hotter. And it being summer time in Texas is something I don't want. lol

I have a program that monitors my temperatures and they are the same as previous. The cooler is just a bit noisier I think. Give it a try and say if it worked for you. I'm very curious.
Reply Quote
Now this is interesting. If I limit the framerate to 30 frames per second, there is no stuttering. Now I have not the best videocard and maybe another number would fit your graphics card. Maybe it is a good idea to test with this.

Edit: there is some stuttering but a lot less.

Now what also seems to help is to run it in windowed mode full screen and not in just full screen. I don't know what is different, but it seems to run quicker that way.
Edited by Salixis#2296 on 6/21/2012 4:27 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Anyone know which affinities are good to use while running the game on a quad-core?
Reply Quote
The USB flash drive trick did the job for me...but unfortunately, the stuttering returned after the 1.03 patch :(
Reply Quote
Exactly... Fix with flash since 1.03 is problem :///
Reply Quote
its not normal, i want to play a single player game stutter free... they have to be prepared for stress in their servers and should not have launched a half finished bugbag that stutters like hell even with 45 msec latency on high-end pcs.

I've actually noticed a lot of network lag (latency) after 1.0.3. This is probably normal since everyone is back to test out the new patch. My network latency makes my game run in slow motion (or choppy) for small bursts of time. This is mostly noticed when playing with others. When I play alone, I don't experience any of it.[/quote]
Reply Quote
I copied the game from my SS drive to my large drive and performance is now liveable.
Reply Quote
and should not have launched a half finished bugbag that stutters like hell

Duhuh, it is Diablo we are talking about :p

But seriously, did anyone try limiting the framerate to 30 fps? For my system it does wonders. It is not perfect but very playable for the time being. Also I have set the game to play in windowed full screen mode.

I am curious if it works for others as well.

I have a Phenom II @ 3,6ghz
4gb of DDRII ram
Ati 6670 videocard (which I bought especially to play this game and according to toms hardware should be fine for resolutions up to 1080p and my monitor only does 1280*1024)

So if this works, for me, it should work for others. I did put the mpq files on my flashdrive. Have not tested it like this with just de harddrive.
Edited by Salixis#2296 on 6/22/2012 1:49 PM PDT
Reply Quote
thanks a ton, works great, but like some have mentioned whenever there is an update I have to load the MPQs from my hard drive and then retransfer them to the USB which gets annoying. If there is a solution to this that I missed it would be very helpful.
Reply Quote
nevermind, this worked fine yesterday but isn't working now?

I checked the files and a lot of them have copies and have a file type called "LOCK file" 0 KB

I try to delete them, but as soon as I start the game up they come back on the USB.

Any help?
Reply Quote
06/22/2012 12:13 AMPosted by Jeronomo
The USB flash drive trick did the job for me...but unfortunately, the stuttering returned after the 1.03 patch :(

Take note the video option return to default after the patch...
Reply Quote
Thank you very much! I tried this and it worked great. I put it on a 32GB USB 3.0 flash drive and setup a link from the flash drive. Performance went up and initial testing showed studdering was nearly gone. At least the initial load studdering was gone.
Reply Quote
Signing onto this thread, it worked for me as well.

Horrible stutters on every setting before - now I enjoy smooth playing even on max settings 1600x900.

Thanks to the OP - ld have fixed this a time ago had I noticed this thread. Don't know why it's not stickied by devs at the top of the list.
Reply Quote
You only really need to do that with ClientData.mpq, Sound.mpq and Texture.mpq (just create a soft-link and only copy these files to the USB stick). i.e. G:\ is a usb stick, current directory is \Diablo III\Data_D3\PC\MPQs\:
mklink ClientData.mpq G:\ClientData.mpq
mklink Sound.mpq G:\Sound.mpq
mklink Texture.mpq G:\Texture.mpq

Works great, all stuttering is gone completely and areas load almost instantly when using the waypoint.

You can additionally only put some of these files on the USB stick to improve performance considerably if you don't have a USB stick large enough to hold all of the above. You can also use a RAM disk instead, but thats a whole different story...
Edited by Sanek#1984 on 6/23/2012 5:29 PM PDT
Reply Quote
NOW I HAVE TO BUY A MOTHER %$^&* FLASH DRIVE TO PLAY THIS GAME???

OMFG.

unbelieveable.

my uncle is a prosecutor here in pennsylvania, im asking him about the possibilities of a class action lawsuit. wire fraud, false advertising, continuing to sell a product that doesnt work, etc. ill be making a site/fb page/whatever soon.
Reply Quote
NOW I HAVE TO BUY A MOTHER %$^&* FLASH DRIVE TO PLAY THIS GAME???

Make sure its 16GB because 8GB wont work.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]