Diablo® III

Staff of Herding disappearing

Heard a rumor that it sometimes disappears from your inventory if you try to pickup an item with insufficient inventory space while carrying the Staff.

Best way to avoid this is to immediately TP after entering the level & stick staff in Stash.

No clue if this is a confirmed bug or not, and yes stashing/unstashing is aggrivating, but hardly as aggrivating as farming all the items + gold again.

Just a rumor. People are just dropping it without realizing and than blaming it on a bug.

Want to hear a fun story my staff was in my stash when I logged off for the night. I went to sleep, went to work, logged in later that day and the first thing I went to do was run Whimsey. Then there's that fun part where it was completely gone from my stash. It's a bug, just like their login issues for 2 weeks after patches.
Reply Quote
Same to me, completely lost it, will contact customer support. Did not drop it, did Whimsyshire once and when wanted to return could not locate anymore the staff.

Frustrating.
Reply Quote
Same to me, completely lost it, will contact customer support. Did not drop it, did Whimsyshire once and when wanted to return could not locate anymore the staff.

Frustrating.

Good luck, if you read my prior posts you will find they won't do anything for you/can't do anything for you. They will just direct you here when everything is said and done, because as according to my last customer service contact, the dev's read this all the time. Only time will tell, but we're all probably out of luck in this matter even if they ever figure out what's wrong with their code. Good luck though.
Reply Quote
So, I'm still waiting to hear from someone in the development side of things, since they supposedly read these forums all the time. I'd love to see a public post on what you actually think is causing the issue, rather than have your Customer Service staff blame us for the problem.

If you are, in fact, having a so called issue with players dropping this then make the item !drop. I truly don't think this is the case. Let's look rationally at this, you wouldn't just drop a rare baseball card on the ground or leave it somewhere because it was a different color. If you acquired something so rare, spent your time and money to do so, then you would care for it with your dear life.

Perhaps, there are issues dealing with inventory space being full and it being expunged from your inventory. Then, if this is the case, it still isn't the players fault. That's poorly coded and should be fixed. I myself logged out one night with my staff in my stash. I went to sleep, went to work, and came back on later that next day to run whimsey to find my staff missing from my stash. There was a lovely slot right in the middle of my stash where my staff was, but just gone. It's funny how none of my other rare items, potions, gems, or anything else was gone. It's just this particular item that has gone missing. I'm not stupid enough to drop it on the ground or any derivation thereof. So, blizz why don't you stop blaming the players and listen to their cries for help.

This is an abomination of your ability to deal with such a minor issue, because your Quality assurance team hasn't found the problem yet. This isn't our fault, just like the login issues, or the loss of people purchases of your game digitally. This is just another issue that you fail to take the blame on. Perhaps, your pride is getting in the way, but we as players are getting sick of being brushed to the side. I won't let this issue drop for any reason. I spent hours to acquire the items, even more hours to run the gold needed to make it. I truly feel empathy for those of you who have lost your nightmare, hell, or even your inferno version.

So, we're leaving the ball in your court Development team. We would love to hear what you've come up with so far, other than blaming us, like you think we're a bunch of idiots to drop such a rare item. Why won't you just answer the forums? We are all waiting for your answer on this among so many other issues. I'm sure it will be a blanket statement, like it has been so far, laying blame on us for merely dropping the item. That seems to make the most sense. It's always easier to lay blame on another party, than it is to take the blame and then fix the problem.

Here are my suggestions to fix the problem. It's obvious there is in fact a problem. You should reimburse each party for the item. Again, this is not our fault, it is a coding issue with your system. The fact still remains that there is an item reimbursement system for players of WOW. Why don't you take that same initiative and do the same for Diablo 3. My next suggestion is code the item so it isn't droppable, if you feel this to be the number one issue with this item in general. You would still have access to the item via all of your characters and it would never hit the ground. The next question I pose is this, why out of all the items in the game are you specifically having problems with this one being ejected from someone's inventory/stash due to fullness. I know when I utilize the auction house and my stash is full that it signals a message to me about it. Why not utilize this same error message so people can go about their lives.

You are about to drop the Staff of Herding. Do you really want to do this?

When it comes down to the end game of this, we have paid to play your game. There is an issue which is not the players fault. You as a seller of goods have continued to blame us for what is in fact your fault. So, just fix the issue at hand. We, as a buyer, are awaiting your ability to remedy this issue among so many others. It's sad that you will go to such lengths to aggravate those loyal to buying your products, because it's mere protocol to follow a strict regiment of not restoring lost items. There are always issues when it comes to code thousands of lines long, don't you perhaps think there was some human error in this single item to cause it to be lost? Don't you think it's perhaps a grandiose idea to take responsibility in this case, and not blame us for something we didn't do? I'll continue to await a truly rational and well thought response to this issue, other than you laying the blame on us for dropping the item on the ground.

So, development team, what do you have to say now?
Edited by Maelstrom#1670 on 6/18/2012 4:12 PM PDT
Reply Quote
So, I'm still waiting to hear from someone in the development side of things, since they supposedly read these forums all the time. I'd love to see a public post on what you actually think is causing the issue, rather than have your Customer Service staff blame us for the problem.

If you are, in fact, having a so called issue with players dropping this then make the item !drop. I truly don't think this is the case. Let's look rationally at this, you wouldn't just drop a rare baseball card on the ground or leave it somewhere because it was a different color. If you acquired something so rare, spent your time and money to do so, then you would care for it with your dear life.

Perhaps, there are issues dealing with inventory space being full and it being expunged from your inventory. Then, if this is the case, it still isn't the players fault. That's poorly coded and should be fixed. I myself logged out one night with my staff in my stash. I went to sleep, went to work, and came back on later that next day to run whimsey to find my staff missing from my stash. There was a lovely slot right in the middle of my stash where my staff was, but just gone. It's funny how none of my other rare items, potions, gems, or anything else was gone. It's just this particular item that has gone missing. I'm not stupid enough to drop it on the ground or any derivation thereof. So, blizz why don't you stop blaming the players and listen to their cries for help.

This is an abomination of your ability to deal with such a minor issue, because your Quality assurance team hasn't found the problem yet. This isn't our fault, just like the login issues, or the loss of people purchases of your game digitally. This is just another issue that you fail to take the blame on. Perhaps, your pride is getting in the way, but we as players are getting sick of being brushed to the side. I won't let this issue drop for any reason. I spent hours to acquire the items, even more hours to run the gold needed to make it. I truly feel empathy for those of you who have lost your nightmare, hell, or even your inferno version.

So, we're leaving the ball in your court Development team. We would love to hear what you've come up with so far, other than blaming us, like you think we're a bunch of idiots to drop such a rare item. Why won't you just answer the forums? We are all waiting for your answer on this among so many other issues. I'm sure it will be a blanket statement, like it has been so far, laying blame on us for merely dropping the item. That seems to make the most sense. It's always easier to lay blame on another party, than it is to take the blame and then fix the problem.

Here are my suggestions to fix the problem. It's obvious there is in fact a problem. You should reimburse each party for the item. Again, this is not our fault, it is a coding issue with your system. The fact still remains that there is an item reimbursement system for players of WOW. Why don't you take that same initiative and do the same for Diablo 3. My next suggestion is code the item so it isn't droppable, if you feel this to be the number one issue with this item in general. You would still have access to the item via all of your characters and it would never hit the ground. The next question I pose is this, why out of all the items in the game are you specifically having problems with this one being ejected from someone's inventory/stash due to fullness. I know when I utilize the auction house and my stash is full that it signals a message to me about it. Why not utilize this same error message so people can go about their lives.

You are about to drop the Staff of Herding. Do you really want to do this?

When it comes down to the end game of this, we have paid to play your game. There is an issue which is not the players fault. You as a seller of goods have continued to blame us for what is in fact your fault. So, just fix the issue at hand. We, as a buyer, are awaiting your ability to remedy this issue among so many others. It's sad that you will go to such lengths to aggravate those loyal to buying your products, because it's mere protocol to follow a strict regiment of not restoring lost items. There are always issues when it comes to code thousands of lines long, don't you perhaps think there was some human error in this single item to cause it to be lost? Don't you think it's perhaps a grandiose idea to take responsibility in this case, and not blame us for something we didn't do? I'll continue to await a truly rational and well thought response to this issue, other than you laying the blame on us for dropping the item on the ground.

So, development team, what do you have to say now?

Do you hear those crickets?
Reply Quote
I lost my staff too... today after the new patch. Wtf?
Reply Quote
06/19/2012 12:24 PMPosted by Martichka
I lost my staff too... today after the new patch. Wtf?

Well, I wouldn't bother contacting customer service about it. If you read my prior posts they will just say that it was most likely your fault, that you dropped it, or that their quality assurance team has only found 2 known issues. I'm still awaiting a reply to my most recent post dated 18 hours ago.
Reply Quote
That's frustrating considering I made the staff yesterday night, put it inside my stash and went to bed. Waked up, updated the game and BAM, it disappeared?

I guess more of us contacting support concerning this issue, more chances we will get. Hope you get it back man. I am sure they must have some item logs somewhere. I mean it's an ''account bound'' item, how is it our fault... false advertisement? That's scam -_-
Reply Quote
Hey blizz I'm glad you made the staff !drop, I'm glad you changed the color to an orange. However, there is still two issues which you fail to address. The facts are multiple parties playing your game for whatever reason have lost their staff due to YOUR code. It's not our fault, and we are sick of accepting blame for what we didn't do. We want our staffs reimbursed. We spent time, lots and lots of time farming the items needed. Your code went awry and all you can do is blame us for something we didn't do. The other item you keep avoiding answering is why is there an item reimbursement system in place for WOW and not for Diablo 3? If anyone doesn't believe this just go to your home page, and click on the link for WOW. If you search around for a minute you will find the ability to replace an item once every 30 days. So, blizz development team, when are you going to fix our lost staffs? When are you going to post something that rationally explains why you haven't done something so minute as this. I mean if it's such a small amount of people, then it surely wouldn't take you long to replace such a few missing items. Why won't you answer this thread about a replacement system for Diablo 3? I love that your customer service directed me here because your development team supposedly reads these forums all the time. Myself, and several thousand other people are awaiting you to fix our lost staffs from Normal to Inferno mode.

So, let's hear what you have to say Dev's. We're awaiting a rational, well-thought, and intelligent post that doesn't blame us for something we didn't do. In the meantime, I will sit and listen to the crickets chirp, because I think you're too afraid or hard headed to admit defeat here.
Reply Quote
staff of herding (at least the infernal one) is now considered to be legendary and has orange (read babbypoo brown) text.
Reply Quote
Greetings,

We received your report about an issue with items in Diablo III. Please be advised that Blizzard customer support is unable to assist with items or restoration of items in Diablo III.

For additional information about issues that support can assist with, please visit http://us.battle.net/support/en/games/diablo3/gameplay-support.

Regards,
Neekliam
Blizzard Entertainment

I received this answer above; I think they send the same message, if not automatic answer message to everyone posting about item disappearing, weather it's our fault or not. They might not even read what we write.

I totally understand though that customer support cannot do anything about item restoration, this is why I asked to be transferred to someone who CAN do something about it, a supervisor or a superior. I will update when I receive an answer.
Reply Quote
Hi there!

I am Game Master Surthazos, and I want to thank you for your patience while I work with my fellow Game Masters to get these wait times down. We definitely value your time and want to take care of you as quickly as we can, so we hope that the queue returns to an acceptable level for everyone in short order. :)

Moving on to the issue at hand, if I understand your petition, the reason you contacted us was in regards to the staff of herding in D3 that disappeared, correct? If I’m accurate in my understanding of your predicament, I have some important information to cover with you below. If I misunderstood the issue though, please click the need more information button and add any additional details you may have so we can work together to get this resolved!

Regrettable we are not able to assist with any item restorations lost/dropped or sold off. =\ I strongly recommend you read over our restorations policies for Diablo 3. <http://us.battle.net/support/en/article/diablo-iii-restorations>

In closing, I want to say thanks again for being such a valued player and for giving us an opportunity to assist you tonight. Thanks for contacting me and I definitely hope the information that I provided was helpful and informative!

Take Care!
Game Master Surthazos

Hello again,

Above, is the automated answer that I've received RIGHT AWAY after posting my reply, they didn't even take the time to read what I wrote, as it's physically impossible to read all that and write all of this right away after I posted this.

Once again, I've asked to be transferred to a superior, by law, it's a customer's right.

Also, I quoted their own website

''The Staff of Herding can no longer be salvaged or dropped''

And it's wrote on it that it cannot be sold.

I will keep you updated.
Reply Quote
Have sent another email to customer service, will let you know if they answer, but reading you guys, am worried. Means lost completely the staff ? gonna get me very very angry ....:=(
Reply Quote
This was from another forum thread.

Vasadan
Quality Assurance
Hey guys,

Thanks for the reports. We are aware that the Staff of Herding can drop on the ground if the inventory is full and will be fixing it in an upcoming patch.

I am very sorry if this made you lose the staff. In the meantime, what you can do is ensure that you have space in your Inventory before crafting the staff.

Here's the problem with that notion. I myself had ample space in my inventory and my staff was in my stash sitting in the very middle of the first page. I logged out for the night after a successful run. I went to sleep, went to work, logged back in the next day and the first thing I went to do was run whimsey. However, the first spot in my inventory where the staff was supposed to be was gone. This is a bug, it needs to be fixed! You need to reimburse the players who had it. When will you accept blame for this and quit blaming us? When will you implement that item reimbursement system that WOW has via bnet, but not Diablo3?
Edited by Maelstrom#1670 on 6/21/2012 5:29 AM PDT
Reply Quote
if you have not figuered it out yet it is the same thing as the elavated repair caost , it is their way of milking gold out of the game form where people farmed the crap out the game that way we are more inclined to go to the real money auction house and spend money which will help line their pockets more !
Reply Quote
http://www.thepetitionsite.com/948/420/961/give-us-back-our-staff-of-herding/?cid=FB_Share

Sign the petition to get our staffs back!
Reply Quote
Oh look, I love that I'm still awaiting a response from the development team, or a community member or anyone at all outside of those of us that play. I'm sick to death of awaiting a response when I'm directed here by your customer service. I love the fact they tell you the dev's read these forums. I challenge a dev, and dev, and single solitary one of them to answer this thread. It's just ridiculous you won't admit there's a bug. Your quality assurance team won't admit it, and you won't either. The most you will admit is there is a problem. You put band-aids on these issues when you need stitches and well placed surgery.

The fact is BLIZZ DEV TEAM, we are all awaiting you to fix the missing staff issue. There is still no system in place like you have for WOW to reimburse items that have been lost. Why do you refuse to admit your wrongdoing, your misplaced code, your inability to appease such a small contingency of players as you have stated that exist? I'm still awaiting a proper, rational, well-thought response as to the issues of all these so-called dropped staffs. It's a load of bull and you know it. Just replace them! I'm not asking for rocket science here. You have the ability to code a game with thousands of lines of code, you have the ability to add thousands of items that don't disappear from your stash or inventory for no reason. Why is it, so many people have had this happen? Why are there multiple threads on the subject. We are all not stupid like you would love to believe. Yes, I'm sure there are a couple and I only mean a couple of people out of thousands who have probably dropped this staff.

The rest of us who have either had it sitting in their stash and had it come up missing, or changed between normal to nightmare to hell to inferno mode or any derivation thereof, are sick of being blamed.

This is not our fault, I repeat not our fault, just take the blame, and fix the problem. Yes, you've finally changed the color and made it unable to be dropped. This still doesn't fix all the people who spent multiple hours to acquire the items through various runs to find all the items. Not to mention the amount of time it took to run the gold needed to actually make so many various levels of the item. We want our staffs back, we're sick of you putting the blame on us, and not taking your fair share. Just admit defeat, admit you were wrong, admit you will replace the items that were never our fault due to loss in the first place. Just do it blizz, we are so sick of you putting such a small issue on the back burner. We will not rest until it is fixed. I will continue to place message upon message and thread upon thread until this matter is resolved. I'm as stubborn as they come, and that will never change. Fix the problem, replace our lost staffs, this has never been our issue. It's your coding, and lack of ability to replace these items that will continue to push players further and further towards the edge. That edge consists of our belief in you as a game maker, our belief that you want to improve your game, the belief that you actually want to right the wrong.

So, again I will say it, when will a development team member reply to this issue? When will a community leader reply to this issue. Please do us a favor and say something more tactful and well thought other than hey we know there might be an issue. Hey, we think it's probably your fault since we've only been able to prove two such scenarios. Perhaps, just like your login issues after patches, the loss of people's purchased games in a digital manner, that maybe you have more than just one coding issue here. I'll sit and listen to the crickets for a few more days, it's already been about 5 and counting.
Reply Quote
Here is my newest Customer Service Ticket:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5642269473?page=3#57

So, here's my response to the fact that your development team supposedly checks their forums so often. According to you Busloch, "Our developers read the forums regularly for feedback and suggestions to game." Well, more than 4 days later I'm still waiting to hear from these so-called developers for a response. So, here we are again at the same conundrum as we've queried before. Why is it, you can't admit defeat on this issue, and why can't you answer the question about why WOW has an item reimbursement system and Diablo 3 does not?

You will continue to skate around those two issues at hand. I'd love to hear an actually developers response to this, or someone who actually does coding in this game. Your blanket responses are dull, lax, and quite frankly poorly thought out. This is not adequate, and unacceptable. When are you going to fix both the missing staff items, and implement an item reimbursement system? Those are the two issues at hand. You can't avoid the issue forever, it will continue to be brought up, time and time again. I'm the most resilient man you will ever meet. I will not give up this fight to get my items back. You, as customer service, have already informed me you can't fix the problem.

So, send this thread to someone who can. Fix the issues at hand. Give us answers that we keep asking for, rather than brush us to the side. This is another prime example why we, as a player base, are becoming more and more fed up with the issues at hand. You keep pushing them to the side, when it's clearly blatant that we are getting very irritated by it.

Again, the issues at hand are, staffs are going missing due to coding issues. There is no current implementation system for missing item reimbursement. You won't admit there could be the slightest possibility of more than a couple of coding issues outside of what your Q.A. department has found with minimal perseverance.
Reply Quote
Here is my newest Customer Service Ticket:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5642269473?page=3#57

So, here's my response to the fact that your development team supposedly checks their forums so often. According to you Busloch, "Our developers read the forums regularly for feedback and suggestions to game." Well, more than 4 days later I'm still waiting to hear from these so-called developers for a response. So, here we are again at the same conundrum as we've queried before. Why is it, you can't admit defeat on this issue, and why can't you answer the question about why WOW has an item reimbursement system and Diablo 3 does not?

You will continue to skate around those two issues at hand. I'd love to hear an actually developers response to this, or someone who actually does coding in this game. Your blanket responses are dull, lax, and quite frankly poorly thought out. This is not adequate, and unacceptable. When are you going to fix both the missing staff items, and implement an item reimbursement system? Those are the two issues at hand. You can't avoid the issue forever, it will continue to be brought up, time and time again. I'm the most resilient man you will ever meet. I will not give up this fight to get my items back. You, as customer service, have already informed me you can't fix the problem.

So, send this thread to someone who can. Fix the issues at hand. Give us answers that we keep asking for, rather than brush us to the side. This is another prime example why we, as a player base, are becoming more and more fed up with the issues at hand. You keep pushing them to the side, when it's clearly blatant that we are getting very irritated by it.

Again, the issues at hand are, staffs are going missing due to coding issues. There is no current implementation system for missing item reimbursement. You won't admit there could be the slightest possibility of more than a couple of coding issues outside of what your Q.A. department has found with minimal perseverance.

Here's the sad response:

Raftwill
Customer Service Representative
Greetings!

Unfortunately, we are unable to fulfill your request at this time. Though our goal is to resolve every issue as requested, certain actions are beyond the scope of the Game Master Department.

There is no way for us to recover individual items, and there are no logs of inventory changes available to us to review. We cannot see items you've picked up, dropped, vendored or salvaged. Due to the Staff's low-key appearance originally, it sucks but it was probably discarded from your bags at some point and left on the ground. We cannot make restorations for any items, let along on good faith, but the developers are going to change it soon to make the Staff much more visibly distinct and unable to be dropped. We regret any inconvenience you may have been caused.

Should you require further assistance, choose the "Need More Help" option below. Otherwise, choose "Message Read" to close your ticket.

"Cancel" will leave the ticket open until you are ready to tend to it.

Regards,

Game Master Raftwill
World of Warcraft In-Game Support
Reply Quote
this happened to my friend in inferno pony's the other day but all that happened is once we entered the pony level its dropped. he didn't notice but i seen it and he picked it back up. thought it was weird i seen it but that is what happened.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]