Diablo® III

Diablo 3 vs Guild Wars 2

-=---Similarity---=-

they both have/had nearly the same development time (5+ years)
they both sell for $60 US dollars,
they both are a kind of action RPG.

-=---Difference---=-

Guild Wars 2 have:

MMO,
a bigger world,
three extra class,
more build diversity,
unique play style for each class,
underwater combat,
dynamic events,
10 times more quests,
unique and personal story line for each race (5 in total),
competitive PvP,
Server vs Server (open world massive PvP).

Diablo 3 have:
more randomization,
translated to 14 languages,
RMAH.

there are many more differences, but I think I hit the majors, sorry if I forgot something important.
So can any one elaborate how GW2 team manage to do more with about the same development time?!

EDIT: I'm mostly comparing things diablo could have but don't. Like personal unique story line for each character, unique play style for each class, competitive PvP, dynamic events and so on. It could even be a MMO, a hack and slash MMORPG, that could be awesome.

EDIT[2]: I'm not trying to say that one is better than the other as they are not totally the same gender, as many of you think I'm trying to say that. This post is to shine a light as how much better diablo 3 could have been, and hope Diablo 3 expansion meet our expectations, as the Diablo 3 alone did not. I'm NOT SAYING THE GAME IS BAD, but it definitely feels like a beta version that we can kill diablo.
Edited by Pyrrhow#1689 on 6/11/2012 11:18 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Well for starters GW2 is an MMO !
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
GW2 is an MMO

D3 is an ARPG

GW2 uses a sophisticated version of the GW1 engine

D3 created its own engine.

Apples. Oranges.
Reply Quote
D3 has been in the works for 11 years. It doesn't matter if it was scrapped and reworked many times. The fact is, D3 has been in development for 11 years.

Also, you are comparing two different genres of games. One is sub standard quality banking on name recognition to %*#@ your wallets because you (the masses) are ignorant to what quality gaming is. The other is Guild Wars 2.
Edited by BuFFo#1686 on 6/11/2012 9:27 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Comparing a pvp-based MMO to a pve-based hack & slash, is similar to comparing caramel pudding and dark matter. It does not make sense to compare these things.
Reply Quote
D3 is a PVE game, GW2 is a PVP game.

Server vs server looks like a massive zerg, but I'll admit that the 5v5 looks very very impressive. I'll probably get GW2 just for the 5v5 PVP.

I really hope someone doesn't come into this thread and try to say that D3 PVP will be better than GW2 PVP. Arenanet already created a PVP masterpiece with GW, and from what I've seen of the 5v5 combat and heard from pro e-sport level players, the meta is looking pretty darn good.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Druid
I'm not sure action rpg is a sufficiently distinguishing term to differentiate different games in the genre. GW2 is a story based mmo, with some mild action aspects (mostly relative to other themepark mmo's).

D3 has relatively little in common with that, nor does it have much in common with action rpg's that are completely non-procedural and are focused around fair deaths and heavy use of mechanics. Honestly, it has more in common with games like nethack and rogue than the games some people are trying to compare it to -- at least there, the comparison is procedurally generated (admittedly, not as much in d3 is procedurally generated as one would expect for story reasons).
Edited by mescyn#1807 on 6/11/2012 9:40 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Comparing both games at the price of $60; GW2 definitely wins in terms of content, probably even in storyline compare to how bad the D3 storyline is.
Reply Quote
GW2 is an MMO

D3 is an ARPG

GW2 uses a sophisticated version of the GW1 engine

D3 created its own engine.

Apples. Oranges.

Actually they made GW2 pretty much from the ground up.
But I do agree apples and oranges
but one thing I find interesting is that GW2 beta has PvP. D3 full released (if you can call it that) does not
Edited by Crypto#1789 on 6/11/2012 9:31 AM PDT
Reply Quote
While we're at it, lets compare Diablo 3 to Mass Effect 3, Black Ops 2, and Mario Kart Wii.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Druid
06/11/2012 09:29 AMPosted by Mickey
Comparing both games at the price of $60; GW2 definitely wins in terms of content, probably even in storyline compare to how bad the D3 storyline is.

It's hard to evaluate, because it depends how enjoyable the content is. You could say the same about swtor too, but I played that for less time than I've played d3 already since a lot of it just wasn't all that enjoyable to me.

D3 only really loses people once they've invested a fairly sizable amount of time into the game, more than enough time to justify its price. A lot of mmo's lose people fairly early on.
Reply Quote
Comparing a pvp-based MMO to a pve-based hack & slash, is similar to comparing caramel pudding and dark matter. It does not make sense to compare these things.

GW2 is hardly pvp based but ok
Reply Quote

Youve never played the game.

Anyways, GW2 all the way.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Druid

GW series is historically mostly about pvp, and the pve content is mostly just a side game. There's no indication that this will not be the case in GW2. Small scale coop pve only, for example.

They can certainly beef it up, but it's largely a pvp game.
Reply Quote

GW series is historically mostly about pvp, and the pve content is mostly just a side game. There's no indication that this will not be the case in GW2. Small scale coop pve only, for example.

^ Yup, GW2 is largely PvP based. They are two very different games but they do share the same playerbase for the most part.
Reply Quote
huh? i thought D3 and GW2 were both MMOs XD. dun D3 and GW2 both require a constant DRM? lol .. btw GW2 rocks!!!!!
Reply Quote
Ive been playing GW2 beta all weekend, oh it's so fun. We were taking a keep in WvW with like 10 people then a group of like 80 comes from a different realm and steamrolls us, it was horrible D:
Reply Quote

The problem with GW2's PvP is the adding of mechanics that doesn't jive well with the game they want to make, namely the whole dodge mechanic. That seems to be more suited for a pattern based action game than a game where 2 or 3 other guys are bashing their skills to kill you. This whole marriage between action and MMO is going to end on a divorce.
Reply Quote
they are very similiar in the fact i had huge exptations for both and was HIGHLY dissapointed at both
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]