Diablo® III

Diablo 3 vs Guild Wars 2

GW series is historically mostly about pvp, and the pve content is mostly just a side game. There's no indication that this will not be the case in GW2. Small scale coop pve only, for example.

They can certainly beef it up, but it's largely a pvp game.

The problem with GW2's PvP is the adding of mechanics that doesn't jive well with the game they want to make, namely the whole dodge mechanic. That seems to be more suited for a pattern based action game than a game where 2 or 3 other guys are bashing their skills to kill you. This whole marriage between action and MMO is going to end on a divorce.

I think it flows perfectly. Playing my warrior it can be quite helpful against spellcasters.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
I love a lot about GW2 and the way they do it BUT,
Whole concept of end game being: i want to look pretty is appalling to me.
Reply Quote
Two totally different games with no real basis for comparison.
Reply Quote
I will be playing both.
Frankly you are kind of a tool to try to compare two non sub game to each other. People can buy both and enjoy both.

Like saying which do you like food or water...

Umm I can have both thank you :D

yes we can, but my point is that Diablo team could accomplish so much more with the time they invested yet they sell us their name and hope to fool us.
Reply Quote
GW2 is freaking amazing, and calling it "PvP centered" is misleading imo. Have you seen how much PvE content there is? Waaaaay too much for people to call this a "PvP centered" game.

The dungeons (well, the one I've actually played) are actually fun and skill-oriented and require group strategy and more emphasis on individual player skill as opposed to WoW's instance formula of CC "x" DPS "y" and the boring old trinity system that shifts player responsibility.

Having said that, sPvP is amazing fun (not so much WvWvW imo, not into the zerg type gameplay). One big difference between ArenaNet and Blzzard is that AreNanet doesn't feel the need to sacrifice one side of gameplay (either PvE or PvP) for another.
Edited by Dmez#1808 on 6/11/2012 9:53 AM PDT
Reply Quote
06/11/2012 09:29 AMPosted by Mickey
Comparing both games at the price of $60

Ok, now this makes sense. Comparing them based on the pricepoint is about the only fair comparison that could be made. I think both games will offer more than $60 of entertainment, so either is a good purchase.

I have been pvp'ing for several years, but I needed a break from it so I picked up D3. As much as I'm playing D3 "seriously" and intend to do my very best with my characters, it's nothing like a pvp game and for now... that is satisfying me.

It's relaxation vs hard effort in my opinion. PVP requires a concerted effort amongst ALL team members, but hack & slash just required 1 arm and a heartbeat. I'm enjoying how basic D3 is, but alas I know this will pass in time and I'll be craving pvp action again.

My suggestion, buy both games, use one to relax with and the other one to get that oh so satisfying pvp content.

I probably would pick up GW2, but I'm waiting for SWTOR to bring out rated pvp then I'll be back playing that. Comparing SWTOR and GW2... GW2 has better systems, but I like sci-fi, it's a nice break from Wizards and dragons and such.
Edited by Plaguemire#1699 on 6/11/2012 9:55 AM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Druid

yes we can, but my point is that Diablo team could accomplish so much more with the time they invested yet they sell us their name and hope to fool us.

We're not buying their time, we are buying a 60$ game. It's either worth 60$ or it's not worth 60$. Based on entertainment per dollar invested, d3 is my wisest purchase this year assuming I can trust hours played in steam as well as d3 hours played per character.
Reply Quote
87 Orc Death Knight
GW2 is great. I blindly pre-purchased it having no experience with the first game and having researched little about it and I must say it is awesome. it's different and it's challenging- not a frustrating, poorly designed challenge, mind you, an actual fun challenge.

And to the person who said the mystic chests can only be unlocked with a key you buy at the store, that's incorrect, I was able to get keys by both looting them from corpses and also they'd sometimes appear from the chests themselves. I didn't have to buy one.
Reply Quote
GW2 is pretty cool. It even has its own forum you can use to talk about it with other fans.
Reply Quote
GW2 WORKS.... <-------
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Druid

To compare GW1 to GW2 is moronic at best. The only things the 2 games share is lore and title. GW2 is very much about PVE with a PVP option for those who enjoy it. Dude the internet has been around for ten years please take the time to do a bit of reading b4 you post. :D

Small scale group content which isn't all that fun anyways, and has very little replay value says to me they mostly care about pvp.
Reply Quote
I love a lot about GW2 and the way they do it BUT,
Whole concept of end game being: i want to look pretty is appalling to me.

yes. this is the whole part i dont like about it. I like progression raiding which GW2 does not have. I might pick it up becasue it still looks like fun and there is no monthly sub but not untill i see some reviews or get to actually play it myself
Edited by Derbefrier#1409 on 6/11/2012 10:01 AM PDT
Reply Quote
!@#$!@# %^-*ING BLIZZARD STARTED THIS CRAP GAME OVER 7 YEARS AGO (CHECK INTERVIEWS WITH CEO NOOBS)..

AND LOOK WHAT THEY DID ! ITS !@#$ GAME, PURE RANDOM, NO DEPTH.. ALL FOCUSED ON THE AH.. BIGGEST %^-* GAME EVER

THEY WORKED 7 YEARS ON A GAME THATS ON WOW BETA LEVEL AT MAXIMUM..

- STORY IS !@#$
- DIFFICULTIES ARE FKN BROKEN..
- NO AH NO PROGRESS, %^-*ING STUIPD GAME DESIGN???'
- DROPS ARE !@#$ AND PURE RANDOM %^-*

!@#$ THAT GAME, ITS BULL%^-* !!!!

When you post hyperbolic trash like this you make yourself look stupid and you undermine the people who have reasonable complaints about this game.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]