Diablo® III

If you are looking for a refund.

I see this asked in a LOT of threads, usually accompanied by complaints and "rage", but I understand that it can be easy to assume that you can't or won't get a refund, so I just thought I'd post this up in a new thread so those that bother to use the search feature can find the information that they want in an easy way without clogging up the forums.

what to do if you purchased from blizzard (if you didn't purchase from blizzard this will still work for you, but you might want to go to your retailer first, it could be easier) :

1. submit a ticket on the support section of the site, be very clear that you want a refund, not that you are thinking about one, or inquiring about getting one, you are asking for one (don't let there be any doubt), also record the date you requested/confirmed that you wanted a refund and the initial date of purchase. NOTE: if you purchased a physical disc you should include a scan/picture of your game case, receipt (dated within the last 30 days), and Authentication Key.

2. call blizzard support line, whichever one is close to you (details are on the support site under "contact information" or "how to contact us") be polite and clear about it, they should help you, if you get a recorded message telling you they are busy either wait for them to get to you or call again, alternatively you can just hang up and wait because you already have a support ticket.

3. if you got your refund over the phone than mark the support ticket as resolved (or simply add a reply saying you have already got your refund), if you didn't get a refund over the phone add a reply and tell them that you couldn't get one over the phone for whatever reason.

4. be polite, no seriously, be polite and reasonable, the people over at support have to deal with !@#$ all day long, from legitimate issues to abusive !*@!s, most of the time they will be polite to you, and even when they give you cookie cutter responses (which they will) it's only because they want to sort the issue as soon as possible, yelling and being abusive will not get you a refund sooner.

5. leave feedback at the forums to detail why you are leaving, again, remember step 4 and try to give as much detail in your feedback as possible.

6. enjoy whatever game you go on to play.

It really is that simple.

ALTERNATIVELY you CAN get a refund from your retailer, however if it goes against store policy (such as "no refunds on opened items") you will not be able to, simply go to your local store with your copy of diablo 3 and all it's contents (no keeping any of it) and request your refund, some stores may turn you away initially but upon confirmation of blizzards refund policy they may refund you (or not, it really depends on retailer).

a few things to note:

as far as i know "i didn't like it" is not a good enough reason (on it's own), however lag and lack of Australian servers very well may be as you are getting a lesser service than promised because of blizzards choice of server location.

you have 30 days from the purchase date to request a refund, this goes for all copies of the game regardless of whether or not you purchased from Blizzard.

this thread wasn't written with any sort of first hand experience (i haven't and won't be asking for a refund), I am going purely on what I have seen on the forums, blizzard websites and second hand experiences from my friends, so this post may not be entirely accurate, but hey, it's better than nothing right? (rhetorical question, please don't make me feel bad)

now please don't go filling this thread with you're "opinions" on the refund policy, as far as I am concerned the moral ground is shaky at best (not to mention highly situational), but the legal ground is relatively clear and that is really all that matters.

if you feel like leaving your feedback and reasons why you requested a refund on this thread feel free to do so (because it would be nice to have all that in one place wouldn't it?), it may even help keep it near the front page (because while few people use the search function, a few more than a few actually read the top half of the first page)

again, I apologize if any of this information is inaccurate, but if it is tell me and I'll try to update this (better than nothing... I'll keep telling myself that).

useful links:

refund policy: http://us.battle.net/support/en/article/order-returns-exchanges

submit a support ticket: https://us.battle.net/support/en/ticket/submit

blizzard support contact information: http://sea.battle.net/support/en/article/contact
Edited by JackL#1645 on 6/12/2012 10:19 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I think this deserves a sticky.

Another reason to refund is regarding service, the game is unavailable on Tuesday evenings! (This is especially true if you are in Perth) This is a limitation of the product which was not advertised.

As before in my other thread, thanks for the information JackL! I will hopefully be getting my refund today.
Reply Quote
06/11/2012 06:07 AMPosted by JackL
you have 30 days to request your refund, as far as I have seen this includes all copies of D3 regardless of whether you bought from blizz or not. if you did get D3 from a retailer just take the product back to the store (all of it, no keeping any of the contents) and ask (NICELY) for your refund, if they turn you away and you are within the blizzard return policy inform them that such a policy exists and that if they are unsure they can look it up (hell, direct them here for all i care).

This right here is pretty much wrong. The store doesn't have to take it back if their policy is to never take back opened computer software. I know, I used to work in retail. We never took back opened software. If it was defective as in the CD broken or scratched beyond reading it in any computer all we would do is exchange it for the same exact thing.
Reply Quote
06/12/2012 12:24 AMPosted by Orbitus
you have 30 days to request your refund, as far as I have seen this includes all copies of D3 regardless of whether you bought from blizz or not. if you did get D3 from a retailer just take the product back to the store (all of it, no keeping any of the contents) and ask (NICELY) for your refund, if they turn you away and you are within the blizzard return policy inform them that such a policy exists and that if they are unsure they can look it up (hell, direct them here for all i care).

This right here is pretty much wrong. The store doesn't have to take it back if their policy is to never take back opened computer software. I know, I used to work in retail. We never took back opened software. If it was defective as in the CD broken or scratched beyond reading it in any computer all we would do is exchange it for the same exact thing.

good to know, I do however know that some people who bought from retailers were initially turned away only to be contacted later (or upon a later trip to the store) and told that they would in-fact refund the item as per blizzard policy, however I will update the OP to mention that they may not do so, thank you for the information.
Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
View profile
Blizzard can handle refunds of the physical discs directly. Open a ticket and include a scan/picture of your game case, receipt (dated within the last 30 days), and Authentication Key.
Blizzard can handle refunds of the physical discs directly. Open a ticket and include a scan/picture of your game case, receipt (dated within the last 30 days), and Authentication Key.

thank you! I have updated the OP with this and re-arranged it a little, so that the more relevant information is higher up.
Reply Quote
Nice thread, informative and not flaming.
Reply Quote
I think this deserves a sticky.

Another reason to refund is regarding service, the game is unavailable on Tuesday evenings! (This is especially true if you are in Perth) This is a limitation of the product which was not advertised.

As before in my other thread, thanks for the information JackL! I will hopefully be getting my refund today.

So because its unavailable during maintenance means you deserve a refund? Are you mentally retarded?

1) I would hope we are all adults here given the games rating (or old enough to act like one). If you can't make a point without resorting to insults then any validity in your argument is forfeit.
2) The product doesn't work as advertised. Under Australian law that entitles anyone to a refund. I did not refund for this reason alone, however it was a considering factor. A reasonable person buying it off the shelf would not have the expectation that they can't play at a certain time, especially at a time some would consider peak Aussie play time. In addition the game is not advertised as a product (such as a MMO) that you would expect server maint to take out all gameplay. I would rather refund now on an immature product that I can't use when I want and purchase again later once it has matured.

Like it or not this is enough grounds to consider the game as defective (The local area manager of EB Games agreed with me and provided a refund) If a player decides that this is grounds enough for them to seek a refund, then I see no issue with it as there is no reasonable expectation that the game will not be available.
Reply Quote
Thanks dude.
Reply Quote
So because its unavailable during maintenance means you deserve a refund? Are you mentally retarded?

Hey good post there guy. Are you mentally retarded?
Reply Quote
Trash talk coming from trash players.
Same old story.
I know that I, for one, will be looking to get my refund ASAP.
Thanks for the original post. Very helpful
Reply Quote
Bump. Get one while you can.
Reply Quote
yes something like this needs a sticky
Reply Quote

1) I would hope we are all adults here given the games rating (or old enough to act like one). If you can't make a point without resorting to insults then any validity in your argument is forfeit.
2) The product doesn't work as advertised. Under Australian law that entitles anyone to a refund. I did not refund for this reason alone, however it was a considering factor. A reasonable person buying it off the shelf would not have the expectation that they can't play at a certain time, especially at a time some would consider peak Aussie play time. In addition the game is not advertised as a product (such as a MMO) that you would expect server maint to take out all gameplay. I would rather refund now on an immature product that I can't use when I want and purchase again later once it has matured.

Like it or not this is enough grounds to consider the game as defective (The local area manager of EB Games agreed with me and provided a refund) If a player decides that this is grounds enough for them to seek a refund, then I see no issue with it as there is no reasonable expectation that the game will not be available.

The problem in part is the server dependency because the game is very twitchy it is hard to avoid effects which are much easier to avoid at say 20ms instead of Australian latency. I am half a screen away at times and I still get hit by those hard hitting abilities, it doesn't matter where you are on your screen, it is where the server thinks you are that is critical.

Gameplay just does not suit a server based game. Kiting is terrible when you rubber band around, that is a pure latency issue on their end. How are you meant to play Hardmode with the server reliance issues and latency.

I just don't think they gave it a lot of thought. That is the problem with Blizzard in general, they treat Oceania as an afterthought. EA finds a way to get business done in Australia, you have to ask what is the problem with Blizzard. Vivendi/Activision not enough muscle to do business in Australia?
Edited by Vim#1416 on 6/13/2012 12:50 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I agree with the OP. Inferno is a joke with the 250+ ping. I mean I know I can get past Inferno if it wasnt for the magical melee attacks that hit me even when I'm 50 feet away from the monster. It's sad that I could have had so much fun with the game but cannot because Blizzard thought that the SEA region was a waste of resources and screwed us by not providing servers.

I will be applying for a refund as well. Though I want to know if I can at this point. I preordered the game a fair while back, so will they take THAT date into consideration, or will they take the launch date as the start of the 30 day period?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]