Diablo® III

Anyone know of some good Military Sci-fi

I have been on a kick of reading military sci-fi for the last year or so and I have read a lot of the big series, so I was wondering if anyone could suggest some good ones to read. Don't be afraid to mention one of the big series as I might have missed it!
I have read all of the Bolo series, David Drakes Hammer's Slammers, the Starfire series, Confederation of Valor, Aldenata universe (Posleen war), Stellar Marine series (Heritage, Legacy and Inheritage trilogies), I am currently reading the Tour of the Merrimack series, Dahak series, Empire of Man, Lost Fleet, The Vorkosigan Saga (I'm reading Cryoburn right now), the Old Mans War and a bunch of others that I can't think of right off the top of my head.
Any suggestions would be appreciated!
Reply Quote
Sounds like you've read a lot more of the genre than I have, but I didn't hear you say Starship Troopers. Have you read Starship Troopers? Seriously, consider reading Starship Troopers.

It's good.
Reply Quote
Try John Scalzi. "Old Man's War" is the first of the series. Also Iain Banks. Not necessarily military but a lot of battles and mind blowing far future pan-galactic weirdness.
Reply Quote
you should watch falling skies its really good!
Reply Quote
Ender's Game by orson scott card
Reply Quote
Orphanage (Jason Wander Series) by Robert Buettner.

Written in first person. I really enjoyed the writing style, but it's not going to be for everyone.
Reply Quote
The Man-Kzin War anthology series set within Larry Niven's Known Space universe, the fellow who created Ringworld. Plus the CoDominium series by Jerry Pournelle. I've haven't read much of either authors lately but I do thoroughly enjoy Niven's work, so those two might catch your interest.

Maybe a couple Black Library's WH40K ongoing titles such as the praised Gaunt's Ghosts (plus whatever standalone Imperial Guard novels) and the Horus Heresy.

Blizzard got a few good StarCraft novels: I, Mengsk by Graham McNeill and Heaven's Devils by William C. Dietz.
Reply Quote
I watch Falling Skies and Walking Dead when they are on. I love those series!

I have read most of John Scalzi's books =)

I am a big fan of the Ender series! I have read all the books and comics that have come out so far.

I haven't read Orphanage. I will have to look it up and give it a try! Thanks =)

I have read the Man-Kzin series and really liked them. I've also read most of Larry Niven's works. I read a few of the Ringworld books and the CoDominium series. I am not a big fan of WH40k, although I did like the miniatures they made for the games. I loved to modify them for the miniature games I used to play. I do not like to read WoW or Starcraft books. Most books based off of games I don't care for with the exception of Shadowrun.

Thank you all for the responses!
Reply Quote
06/12/2012 09:27 PMPosted by Keldaris

^This
Reply Quote
well herre's my favret, if you can find them. palladium books: RIFTS; sonic boom, deception's web, treacherous awakenings writen by adam chilson
Reply Quote
"Ender's Game" LOL!, not a bad book, but pretty much 0 fighting (military ) all in training. i would recommend Gaunts Ghosts. It's a 9 book series i am currently reading through and its awesome. It is based on the Warhammer 4000 universe. and follows the imperial guard on their crusade against chaos
Reply Quote
Sounds like you've read a lot more of the genre than I have, but I didn't hear you say Starship Troopers. Have you read Starship Troopers? Seriously, consider reading Starship Troopers.

It's good.

This is awesome. If the internet can be believed, it's still required reading at West Point and the Naval Academy. Either way, it's great.

Ender's game is also excellent, but not what I think you would refer to as traditional Military Sci Fi. It's mostly about young kids in training.
Reply Quote
Starship Troopers is on the Marine Corps Commandant's reading list; I read it back when I was in the Corps. This book is definitely a good read.

As an aside, the book and movie are almost two entirely different stories.
Reply Quote
06/12/2012 09:27 PMPosted by Keldaris

This book is also on the Commandant's reading list.

Edit: I thought Ender's Game and it's sequel were good; however, the subsequent books lost my interest.
Edited by RedCell#1728 on 7/9/2012 6:49 AM PDT
Reply Quote
You can start the Star Carrier series (same guy who did the Inheritance/legacy/heritage trilogies). The Falkenberg's Legion trilogy is good, too.

Edit: Oh, the StarFist series is good, too, at least the books that are out. And if you liked the Dahak series, Honor Harrington will be good, too (same author).
Edited by Warpp#1281 on 7/10/2012 7:21 PM PDT
Reply Quote
karen traviss republic commando series, based in star wars universe
Reply Quote
Not sci-fi but about a WWlll non-wmd war, Red Storm Rising. On my top ten best of all time.
Reply Quote
I would have to add my thumbs up to two already recommended:

"Ender's Game" and "Starship Troopers"

In the case of Starship Troopers if you didn't care for the film don't let that stop you, as I recall the book was quite a bit different...

Also "The Forever War" by Joe Haldeman is good (and if you like Military Sci-Fi this should be on your "must read" list as much for it's influence on the genre as well as it's quality):

http://www.amazon.com/The-Forever-War-Joe-Haldeman/dp/0312536631/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1343872386&sr=8-1&keywords=the+forever+war
Edited by Antiquarian#1163 on 8/1/2012 7:35 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Warhammer series and Halo, i enjoy the Halo books because im a fan of halo and the story telling is just amazing, it makes you visualize all of it in crazy details
Reply Quote
Ender's Game

Caves of Steel
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]