Diablo® III

48÷2(9+3) = ? cont.

This problem is written ambiguously on purpose to incite this argument (master trolling I know, but I am bored.) Fact of the matter is, anyone who has done math past 4th grade will know that the division sign ÷ just isn't used in higher math because it is confusing same thing with * for multiplying. In its current form it is difficult to tell whether the two is meant to be distributed or if it was mean to be in fraction with the 48 (48/2) or (2(9+3)). See to keep crap like this from happening in say calculus and even in stuff as basic as algebra we just put everything into fractions so it is easily read and indisputable what is being divided by what, Pemdas and bedmas are practically irrelevant if this problem were written correctly.
Edited by Gilglamesh#1222 on 6/12/2012 12:52 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Your math needs some work. x(9+3) != x * (9+3)

x is the factor of (9+3)

eg. x =2

2(9+3) == 1(18 + 6) == 3(6+2)

Can't believe I have to explain this..

lol
You contradict yourself so easily put your x=2 into your own theory.
x=2
2(9+3) != 2*(9+3)
2(12) != 2*(12)
24 != 24 lol wtf?
btw 2(9+3) == 2*(9+3) they are the exact same thing.

EDIT: Just saw your edit but you are forgetting that this is your equation 48/x(9+3) so where in the hell are the parentheses coming from to make x(9+3) 1 entity and the first operation? Your not understanding that you are making a mistake! I would completely agree with you IF the equation was written as 48/(x(9+3)). Then that would be a case for distribution of the x, but as it stands x IS NOT a factor of (9+3).
Edited by Gilager#1578 on 6/12/2012 12:54 AM PDT
Reply Quote
x(a +b)
!= x * ab
= xa + xb

Seriously these mistakes are rediculous.

here is your initial argument x(9+3) != x*(9+3)

a = 9, b = 3

so we have x(a+b) != x*(a+b) <----you made another mistake here you had x*(ab) left out the +
xa+xb != xa+xb sorry this is incorrect they are still equal. Please try again.
Reply Quote
by the way what you are saying with your theory is that (x(9+3)) != x(9+3) but you are not writing it this way. You are failing to use order of operations on your own argument!!!!

Your ASSUMING that the first argument x(9+3) is really (x(9+3)) where you do not write it as such! And the whole problem does not have (x(9+3)) even in it!
Edited by Gilager#1578 on 6/12/2012 1:04 AM PDT
Reply Quote
guys. you are all stupid..

i dont know how many of you took math??

if you are getting 288, this is what you are doing, and it is wrong.

(48÷2)(9+3) which is not equal to

48÷2(9+3)

since there are no brackets separating the 2 and the (9+3) this means that the 2 is a coefficient of the term inside the brackets. you cant divide 48 by 2, and then multiply 24 by (9+3).

lets substitute x=(9+3) for !@#$s and giggles

the original term is 48÷2(9+3) and it becomes:

=48÷2x

if you now divide 48 by 2, you still have not divided it by x, and the term now becomes:

=24÷x
( a lot of people were multiplying 24 by (9+3) which you cannot do, because (9+3) is in the denominator of the fraction and you still have to divide 24 by it)

if we substitute (9+3) back in, we now get:

=24÷(9+3)

=24÷(12)

=2
Edited by Silentj#1120 on 6/12/2012 1:13 AM PDT
Reply Quote
48÷2(9+3) = ? is a math problem that, depending on the order of operations used, leads to two different answers: 2 and 288. An alternative version 6÷2(1+2)= ? with the answers 1 or 9, has popped up online as well. It can be a hot topic for debate, and is sometimes used to troll other users because of the argument that can result afterward.

This internet phenomenon exploded on April 7th, 2011, around the same time when searches for “48÷2(9+3) =” spiked on Google. The thread that first sparked interest in this problem was on Hot Pursuit, a small local forum based in Texas. Shortly afterwards a member of the site posted the query on BodyBuilding.com and was spread onwards. Other forum posts from that day include Physics Forums, Wall Street Oasis, SpartanTailgate, GrassCity, Tennis Warehouse, Inside MD Sports, and \The Escapist. On April 8th, it popped up on 6Theory, NIKETLK, Yahoo! Answers, DIYMA.com, and The Ill Community.

On April 27th, 2011, a Redditor posted a slightly different version to the “wtf” subreddit. As of April 29th, 2011, it has received 1281 comments, and has a karma score of 776. A Redditor posted the following comment to the thread which was the highest rated comment at 574 upvotes:
"I’m a math professor, and my view is that although the standard convention, if applied precisely and rigorously, does give an unambiguous procedure to follow, nobody, and that includes professional mathematicians, would ever write a formula like this. This is mostly because, after about 3rd grade, none of us ever use the division symbol ever again."

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/48293
Reply Quote
-------------------------
Edited by Suki#1136 on 6/12/2012 1:39 AM PDT
Reply Quote
From the American Mathematical Society, people:

We linearize simple formulas, using the rule that multiplication indicated by juxtaposition is carried out before division.

From http://web.archive.org/web/20011201061315/http://www.ams.org/authors/guide-reviewers.html

Admittedly a very old document (10 years), but I don't think it's probable that the AMS has changed its mind about this in the interim, do you? If so, cite.

The answer is 2. This is indisputable

ETA: To be clear, the answer is 2 if you follow the convention followed by professional mathematicians. There's nothing magical about that convention and you're welcome to use whatever convention you want--but if you use one other than what the pros use, you're likely to cause communication problems.
Edited by Speusippus#1370 on 6/12/2012 4:51 AM PDT
Reply Quote
48÷2(9+3)

This is the starting problem. Apparently people want to distribute first. Well in order to do so we must distribute 48÷2 into the brackets. Since multiplication/division are meant to be kept together (whereas addition and subtraction aren't). I'm sure I could find some fun OoO reference if you really wanted it.

Thus...

(48÷2)*9 + (48÷2)*3

We can all agree 48÷2 = 24

So...

24*9 + 24*3

216 + 72

Which is 288... ZOMG?

The big reason calculators can (and sometimes will) give the wrong answer is because the programmer(s) can (oh no...) make mistakes. You need to be competent enough to spot those mistakes. Ever wonder why your teacher made you learn to do math by hand before giving you a calculator to use? This is why. But then again that might not be the case anymore... *sigh*
Reply Quote
From the American Mathematical Society, people:

We linearize simple formulas, using the rule that multiplication indicated by juxtaposition is carried out before division.

From http://web.archive.org/web/20011201061315/http://www.ams.org/authors/guide-reviewers.html

Admittedly a very old document (10 years), but I don't think it's probable that the AMS has changed its mind about this in the interim, do you? If so, cite.

The answer is 2. This is indisputable

ETA: To be clear, the answer is 2 if you follow the convention followed by professional mathematicians. There's nothing magical about that convention and you're welcome to use whatever convention you want--but if you use one other than what the pros use, you're likely to cause communication problems.

I did a little more leg work for you. Their recently updated version of that document is here:
http://www.ams.org/mresubs/guide-reviewers.html

It was updated 1/2012. It no longer makes a reference to generalized linear equations. This is most likely because their prefered format in Latex allows for you to easily write the equation how you would like it to appear in the document. Thus getting around ambiguities like this in the real world.
Reply Quote
*SIgh* WAY doesn't belong here, but:

48/2(9+3)
48/2(12)
48/24

This is CORRECT.

For uneducated people out there thinking its 288 (and "loling" about 2 being the answer); here is an explanation of why it is NOT.

If the question was: 48 / 2 * (9+3): then yes, it becomes 48 / 2 * 12, and you evaluate from left to right and you get 288.

However 2(9+3) is not the same as 2*(9+3), in the former case, it is ONE number whereas in the second case its TWO. Therefore this question is the same as 48/24, and not 48/2*12.

If you haven't finished school then please don't even attempt arguing.
Edited by teladi#2550 on 6/12/2012 5:35 AM PDT
Reply Quote
LOL, you Americans push the limit of retardation. How can you not have learned order of operations? The 12 is alone in the bracket and has no sign, so it needs to be multiplied before going left to right.

48/2(9+3)
48/2*(12)
48/24

Use a calculator if you don't believe it.
Edited by SuddenLoss#1943 on 6/12/2012 6:25 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I can't believe this is still going...

The question is simple. Is the (9+3) part of the denominator or is the fraction 48/2 being multiplied against the (9+3)? The First one results in 2. The Second one results in 288. You just need clarification from the person asking the question.

There's your answer.

Stop debating.
Edited by Pathology#1752 on 6/12/2012 6:27 AM PDT
Reply Quote
This thread is amazing! 9/10
Reply Quote
06/12/2012 06:29 AMPosted by ShinUmbra
This thread is amazing! 9/10

Agreed. I thought I was bad at math but the people who answered 288 on such a simple problem take the cake.

They should all go back to school.
Reply Quote
Ok let me take a stab at this!

48÷2(9+3) = ?

so let me think. Normally things in () are ment to be done on their own.

so lets see what this problem should really look like

48/2 = 24

now reading this i'm seeing that the question really is 24(12) because 9+3 = 12.

considering that 24(12) and has no extra symbols this means that we are to multiply not divide considering the division already happened.

so the answer has to be 24 * 12 = 288!

because the question actually reads

48 / 2 * 12 = 288

now i think if it was [48/2(9+3] the answer would be 2
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]