---- * (9+3) = 288

VS.

---------- = 2
2(9+3)
Edited by Pathology#1752 on 6/12/2012 6:37 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Ok let me take a stab at this!

48÷2(9+3) = ?

so let me think. Normally things in () are ment to be done on their own.

so lets see what this problem should really look like

48/2 = 24

now reading this i'm seeing that the question really is 24(12) because 9+3 = 12.

considering that 24(12) and has no extra symbols this means that we are to multiply not divide considering the division already happened.

so the answer has to be 24 * 12 = 288!

because the question actually reads

48 / 2 * 12 = 288

now i think if it was [48/2(9+3] the answer would be 2

I't's not 288, look at my simple explanation 2-3 posts ago to understand how basic math works.

no one can tell me it's wrong because that is how it was invented.
Reply Quote
Ok let me take a stab at this!

48÷2(9+3) = ?

so let me think. Normally things in () are ment to be done on their own.

so lets see what this problem should really look like

48/2 = 24

now reading this i'm seeing that the question really is 24(12) because 9+3 = 12.

considering that 24(12) and has no extra symbols this means that we are to multiply not divide considering the division already happened.

so the answer has to be 24 * 12 = 288!

because the question actually reads

48 / 2 * 12 = 288

now i think if it was [48/2(9+3] the answer would be 2

I't's not 288, look at my simple explanation 2-3 posts ago to understand how basic math works.

no one can tell me it's wrong because that is how it was invented.

It depends how you perceive the problem, check my post.
Reply Quote
omg i just googled this problem, i can't believe this is such a big troll math problem.
Reply Quote
It's not a question of perception. There is no perception in math. It's either right or wrong.

an isolated number in brackets must be multiplied if there is a number with no sign next to it before going left to right.

I've just asked a math teacher on top of the calculator giving me the answer 2, so please...
Reply Quote
but seriously if we replace a number

48÷2(10+4) = ?

24 * 14 = 336

order of operations should look like

48 / 2 * (10+4) = x

Tho Normally your suppose to answer the () first which still doesn't change the answer because if it isn't multiply it would look like

48 / 2(14) errr wait a minute.. i see it!

so really it depends on if your thinking you must multiply the 2(14) first or complete the division first.

but really it makes sense because (10+4) is done first not 2(14) which should REMOVE the () option anyways making it 48 / 2 * 14 because the specific req math was already done.
Reply Quote
We have a winner. thanks for wasting 2 mins. of my time. 48 divided by 2, times 12. is not the same as 48 divided by (2 times 12). True work of a Class "A" troll. Blessed Troll spelled it out nicely.
Reply Quote
It's not a question of perception. There is no perception in math. It's either right or wrong.

an isolated number in brackets must be multiplied if there is a number with no sign next to it before going left to right.

I've just asked a math teacher on top of the calculator giving me the answer 2, so please...

It is too a question of perception look at the first post on page 3. I don't know how to print it any clearer than that. According to your perception of the problem it can be written 48/2 * 1/(9+3).
Edited by Pathology#1752 on 6/12/2012 6:48 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Sounds like 288 wins.
Reply Quote
06/12/2012 06:49 AMPosted by Battle
Sounds like 288 wins.

It should...that is the correct answer.
Reply Quote
The question is

what comes first the division or the multiplication after the () is solved.

after that case is solved it's

left to right and with no symbol we know that x(y) = multiply.

so it's from left to right

x / y (z) "where z = a+b." = epic troll.
Reply Quote
The question is

what comes first the division or the multiplication after the () is solved.

after that case is solved it's

left to right and with no symbol we know that x(y) = multiply.

so it's from left to right

x / y (z) "where z = a+b." = epic troll.

No. Look at the first post of page 3. That's the question.
Reply Quote
At first I thought this and the old 26 page thread were jokes, but when I read deeper in them I was shocked to find out how bad some people are at math.

So I decided to explain the simple math you do to get an answer.

48÷2(9+3) =

First we do the operation in parenthesis: (9+3) = 12
As a result, we have 48÷2*12
Now, we do operations in order from left to right and not in any way different:
48/2 = 24
24*12= 288

There is no room for error, no room for a different interpretation.
This is math, not English composition
In Math - there is only one TRUE answer.
People who think otherwise are either lacking math skills or just trolling.
Reply Quote
Well, it's nice to see a math problem getting so many posts, i'm sure if anyone else enjoys math they'd agree seeing a high interest in finding the answer enjoyable.
Reply Quote

It is too a question of perception look at the first post on page 3. I don't know how to print it any clearer than that. According to your perception of the problem it can be written 48/2 * 1/(9+3).

Your mistake was adding a * after the 2. it's not in the original problem and changes everything.

That is where ALL of you saying 288 went wrong. you added a sign.
Reply Quote
06/12/2012 06:55 AMPosted by Battle
Well, it's nice to see a math problem getting so many posts, i'm sure if anyone else enjoys math they'd agree seeing a high interest in finding the answer enjoyable.

It is, but at the same time some of the arrogance...
Reply Quote
---- * (9+3) = 288

VS.

---------- = 2
2(9+3)

see but that doesn't make sense because the question is written as

x / y (a+b) = answer.

which after all applicable math is done it's

x / y (z) which should read exactly as x / y * z from order left to right. not x / (y * z).
Reply Quote

Your mistake was adding a * after the 2. it's not in the original problem and changes everything.

That is where ALL of you saying 288 went wrong. you added a sign.

Dude, look at the first post of page 3. My stance is that there is no answer until we know which of the two equations is really being asked.
Reply Quote
The problem here is that some people are assuming that the division line is going all the way over the 2(9+3) and others are assuming that it only goes over the 2. This affects the order of operations. So then, a/b(c) is different than a/(bc). In the former the division line only represents b being in the denominator and bc being in the denominator in the latter. So then a/b would be distributed into c in a/b(c) and only b would be distributed into c in the equation a/(bc). This could all be made a lot simpler if someone knew how to create real division lines in this forum. I was forced to take algebra 6 times and aced it everytime, go figure, so I practically have a masters in algebra, and as I recall I always solved the numerator and denominator first before finding the answer to a fraction. In the sacred algebra text it is assumed that a division line that goes over more than one variable implies parentheses and if you treat it as such you will tend to get the right answer, then the left to right rule need not apply.

Edit: added parentheses around c since the equation can only be written on a single line, note a/b times c can be figured the same way without the parentheses.
Edited by Windscar#1524 on 6/12/2012 7:35 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Eh server's are down, people are unhappy. but yeah, not the friendliest atmosphere for chatting about order of operations. :)
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]