48÷2(9+3) = ? cont.

---- * (9+3) = 288

VS.

---------- = 2
2(9+3)

see but that doesn't make sense because the question is written as

x / y (a+b) = answer.

which after all applicable math is done it's

x / y (z) which should read exactly as x / y * z from order left to right. not x / (y * z).

What do you mean it doesn't make sense? It's simply stating that their are two possible equations being asked.
Reply Quote

It is too a question of perception look at the first post on page 3. I don't know how to print it any clearer than that. According to your perception of the problem it can be written 48/2 * 1/(9+3).

Your mistake was adding a * after the 2. it's not in the original problem and changes everything.

That is where ALL of you saying 288 went wrong. you added a sign.

your mistake is thinking that there isn't an implied sign. which IF YOU DO NORMAL MATH 2(6) in math = 12

2 / 2 (6) = means 1 * 6 = 6.
Reply Quote

see but that doesn't make sense because the question is written as

x / y (a+b) = answer.

which after all applicable math is done it's

x / y (z) which should read exactly as x / y * z from order left to right. not x / (y * z).

What do you mean it doesn't make sense? It's simply stating that their are two possible equations being asked.

honestly i see what your saying your agreeing to disagree. but the answer seems to be clear as day to both sides, but i don't see how

48÷2(9+3) = ?

to anyone looks like

48÷(2(9+3)) = ?

see what i'm saying FOR the answer of 2 you would need two (())
Reply Quote
Funny thing, I've never even seen that Divide symbol after middle school. It's like using an "x" for multiplication. LOL it would be funny to use it in a calc III test though XD
Reply Quote
Your mistake was adding a * after the 2. it's not in the original problem and changes everything.

People like you make America look stupid.
It's not only that you are stupid, but you are dumb enough to not even doubt yourself for a second. Such people are the worst - the ones that are blinded by their own confidence.
Edited by Grimraven#1853 on 6/12/2012 7:07 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I have a fun idea, put your lvl of completed math course next to your answer. :)
Reply Quote
Calc II .... 288
Reply Quote
06/12/2012 07:09 AMPosted by Battle
I have a fun idea, put your lvl of completed math course next to your answer. :)

that's not a bad suggestion

Answer: 288
Completed: Calculus IV, Linear Algebra, Discrete Math
Reply Quote

honestly i see what your saying your agreeing to disagree. but the answer seems to be clear as day to both sides, but i don't see how

48÷2(9+3) = ?

to anyone looks like

48÷(2(9+3)) = ?

Yes and that's precisely why I raised the question because the second () isn't needed if it is written in full fraction form because it become apparent that the (9+3) belongs with the denominator.
Reply Quote
ok lets split the qestion

we all can agree 48 / 2 = 24

we can all agree 9 + 3 = 12

we can all agree 2(12) is always going to be 24.

so knowing that 2(12) = 24 because the * is implied.

48 / 2 = 24(12) = 288.

DONE i beat the game. inferno math is inferno
Reply Quote
On another subject I've never heard of a Calc. IV what school did you go too?
Reply Quote
Not doubting, just curious how there program works. I know they all have there own routine.
Reply Quote
Here is an explanation as to how you went wrong people.

48/2(9+3) (one * in this)
48/2(12) (* is used)
48/24 ( every * is gone)
= 2

48/2 * 1(9+3) (two * are in this problem)
48/2 * 1(12) ( two * are still there...)
48/2 * 12 (still there...)
24 * 12 (holy !@#$ still there!)
= 288

There you go, you're multiplying TWO times instead of ONE!!!! The original problem only has one multiplication. Adding a sign will always give you a different result.

I just solved your mystery so feel grateful.
Edited by SuddenLoss#1943 on 6/12/2012 7:18 AM PDT
Reply Quote

48÷2(9+3) = ?

to anyone looks like

48÷(2(9+3)) = ?

Yes and that's precisely why I raised the question because the second () isn't needed if it is written in full fraction form because it become apparent that the (9+3) belongs with the denominator.

oh god i don't think this has anything to do with fractions actually brotha. i hate fractions.....
Reply Quote
Here is an explanation as to how you went wrong people.
48/2(9+3) (one * in this)
48/2(12) (at this point * is used)
48/24 ( every * is gone)
= 2

48/2 * 1(9+3) (two * are in this problem)
48/2 * 1(12) ( two * are still there...)
48/2 * 12

There you go, you're multiplying TWO times instead of ONE!!!! The original problem only has one multiplication. Adding a sign will always give you a different result.

I just solved your mystery so feel grateful.

err you just did right to left math right to left math would look like

48 / 2 12 once () was solved you go left to right making the problem look like 48 / 2 * 12 not 12 * 2 / 48 which would be -2 but you get my point. i hope.
Reply Quote
Sudden Loss you forgot to include your lvl of completed math course.
Reply Quote
High School, is not an answer
Reply Quote
Math is left to right once you've done everything in brackets first.

Also I edited my post to make it clearer.
Reply Quote
I can say this, type the problem into a TI-84 ti calculator and it will not give the answer 2.
Reply Quote
Side Note... Epic troll who started this! I'm actually impressed.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]