Diablo® III

48÷2(9+3) = ? cont.

06/12/2012 07:18 AMPosted by Battle
Sudden Loss you forgot to include your lvl of completed math course.

Clearly higher than yours at least if you're getting this wrong.

I have a math teacher on IM, which I've asked as well. She backed me up on this.

you're saying that you know more than someone with 6+ years in math and stats?

come on, stop embarrassing yourself.
Reply Quote
Math is left to right once you've done everything in brackets first.

Also I edited my post to make it clearer.

You're wrong. That post is incorrect. You do not distribute the 2 to the 9 and 3 unless the 9 and 3 are within a parenthesis with the 2. Since they are not you add the 9 and 3 then work left to right.
Reply Quote
48÷2(9+3) = ?

From http://mathforum.org/dr.math/faq/faq.typing.math.html

Fractions
There are a couple of acceptable options for the fraction "1 over 2x":

a) 1 b) 1/(2x)
--
2x
Both (a) and b) are correct, but because (b) sits on a single line of text, it's easier to work with if you want to include the notation within the body of a paragraph. When you write fractions like the one in (b), however, you must be careful to put parentheses in the right place. Here's an example of what can go wrong:
c) 1/2x DON'T DO THIS!
Don't write fractions like the example in (c)! You might mean "1 over 2x" but (c) could also be interpreted as "one half x" - and these are not the same. Note: brackets can be used in lieu of parentheses.

/thread
Reply Quote
Here we go for both answers

48÷2(9+3) = ?

48 / 2 * (9+3=12) = 2
<--------------- ---->__<----- ------>

which goes against all math taught.

48 / 2 * (9+3=12) = 288
-----------------------------> <-->___<-- --- ----->

Now with taught math. answer 2 is correct.
Reply Quote
48÷2(9+3) = ?

From http://mathforum.org/dr.math/faq/faq.typing.math.html

Fractions
There are a couple of acceptable options for the fraction "1 over 2x":

a) 1 b) 1/(2x)
--
2x
Both (a) and b) are correct, but because (b) sits on a single line of text, it's easier to work with if you want to include the notation within the body of a paragraph. When you write fractions like the one in (b), however, you must be careful to put parentheses in the right place. Here's an example of what can go wrong:
c) 1/2x DON'T DO THIS!
Don't write fractions like the example in (c)! You might mean "1 over 2x" but (c) could also be interpreted as "one half x" - and these are not the same. Note: brackets can be used in lieu of parentheses.

/thread

I've said this like 9 times they won't grasp it.
Reply Quote
y = 48/x(9 + 3)
y = 48/x(12)
y * (x(12)) = 48
12xy = 48
xy = 48/12
xy = 4
y = 4/x

When x = 2
y = 4/(2)
y = 2

Therefore 2.

You can't just throw in parenthesis where ever you want.

Parenthesis are for illustrating where the terms moved from only.

y = 48/x(9 + 3)
y = 48/x*12
y * x * 12 = 48
12xy = 48
xy = 48/12
xy = 4
y = 4/x

When x = 2
y = 4/2
y = 2

Happy?

I want to cry T_T

y = 48/x(9 + 3)
y=48/x(12)
x* y= x * 48/x * 12 <-- time x both side (notice x/x on the right side = 1)
x*y=48*12 * 1
x*y= 576
(x * y )/ x = 576/ x <-- dive x both side again ( agian x/x = to 1 on the left side)
1* y= 576 / x

Given x = 2

y= 576/2
y=288

Everyone happy now =)
Reply Quote
06/12/2012 07:13 AMPosted by Battle
On another subject I've never heard of a Calc. IV what school did you go too?

http://www.clark.edu/academics/schedule/display.php
Click on fall classes, go to math and you will find it
I think our school splits the whole course into 4 semesters rather than 2.
Reply Quote
y = 48/x(9 + 3)
y = 48/x(12)
y * (x(12)) = 48
12xy = 48
xy = 48/12
xy = 4
y = 4/x

When x = 2
y = 4/(2)
y = 2

Therefore 2.

You can't just throw in parenthesis where ever you want.

Parenthesis are for illustrating where the terms moved from only.

y = 48/x(9 + 3)
y = 48/x*12
y * x * 12 = 48
12xy = 48
xy = 48/12
xy = 4
y = 4/x

When x = 2
y = 4/2
y = 2

Happy?

I want to cry T_T

y = 48/x(9 + 3)
y=48/x(12)
x*y=48*12 * 1
x*y= 576
(x * y )/ x = 576/ x <-- dive x both side again ( agian x/x = to 1 on the left side)
1* y= 576 / x

Given x = 2

y= 576/2
y=288

Everyone happy now =)

Omg my brain just hurt i don't know wtf just happened. HOW i mean the answer is correct but omg so complicated i liked my basic math better.
Reply Quote
Math is left to right once you've done everything in brackets first.

Also I edited my post to make it clearer.

You're wrong. That post is incorrect. You do not distribute the 2 to the 9 and 3 unless the 9 and 3 are within a parenthesis with the 2. Since they are not you add the 9 and 3 then work left to right.

YOU forgot the most important rule of all

NEVER EVER go left to right while there's a parenthesis still active.

How did you pass middle school? HAHAHA
Edited by SuddenLoss#1943 on 6/12/2012 7:36 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I want to cry T_T

y = 48/x(9 + 3)
y=48/x(12)
x*y=48*12 * 1
x*y= 576
1* y= 576 / x

Given x = 2

y= 576/2
y=288

Everyone happy now =)

Omg my brain just hurt i don't know wtf just happened. HOW i mean the answer is correct but omg so complicated i liked my basic math better.

hahahah, its suppose to be basic math but so many troll/ 8-15 kids so I need to show this way in order for them to see the true way of getting the answer
Reply Quote
Here is an explanation as to how you went wrong people.

48/2(9+3) (one * in this)
48/2(12) (* is used)
48/24 ( every * is gone)
= 2

I just solved your mystery so feel grateful.

I underlined the part where you went wrong: 48/2(12) = 48/24
That is incorrect, because equation 48/2(12) is the same as 48/2*12 which means you:
1) divide
2) multiply
48/2=24
24*12 =288
Reply Quote
The fact that people are receiving 2 as an answer shows that they do not full understand order of operations. I have written this post before, and despite my use of the "term" assume, that just means, "this is the correct way to do it if you aren't an idiot and you don't break any mathematical rules to solve it."

As most people have already stated, I assume, the way this question is written is very poor, making it somewhat difficult to decipher how to go about this question. As a chemical engineering major, and somebody who has been through Calculus III and differential equations, I see as follows:

(9+3) = 12, since it is in parenthesis.
Then, DUE to the way it is PRESENTED in parenthesis, I personally find it is safe to assume you could SAY the problem as follows: 48 divided by 2, all multiplied by 12.

48/2(12) is the same as 48/2*12, which in this case, most people forget that if it is ONLY a set of similar operations (by that I mean JUST multiplication and division, or JUST addition and subtraction) one does NOT take precedent over the other, despite how PEMDAS is set up. When it is a case such is that, it is simply performed from LEFT TO RIGHT.

So, in this case you have: 48 divided by 2 multiplied by 12, in that order.
Breaking it down gives you, 48 divided by 2 = 24. 24 multiplied by 12 = 288.

Regardless of how poorly this may be written, any true mathematician, (or hell, even your elementary school arithmetic teacher, since they would completely understand the simple rules of basic math such as this) would calculate 288. Many people forget that hidden rule in PEMDAS about multiplication/division only. One does not take precedent over the other.
Edited by Phobia#1704 on 6/12/2012 7:42 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Here is an explanation as to how you went wrong people.

48/2(9+3) (one * in this)
48/2(12) (* is used)
48/24 ( every * is gone)
= 2

I just solved your mystery so feel grateful.

That is incorrect, because equation 48/2(12) is the same as 48/2*12 which means you:
1) divide
2) multiply
48/2=24
24*12 =288

the parenthesis must be eliminated before the division my friend.

I thought everyone learned this in the 6-7th grade?
Reply Quote
I found myself throwing in extra parentheses all the time into my graphing calculator in order to get it to solve an equation correctly. I think the only reason why they teach the left to right rule is so that everyone gets the same answer before you take algebra. But, in algebra they tend to always do muliplication before division even though it isn't indicated by parentheses and brackets, so when you put it in the calculator you have to add them everytime something is over something else or you could get the wrong answer.
Reply Quote
Read the bottom of this page
http://www.purplemath.com/modules/orderops2.htm

The way it is written is ambiguous. Basically is comes down to this part:
"Note that different software will process this differently; even different models of Texas Instruments graphing calculators will process this differently. In cases of ambiguity, be very careful of your parentheses, and make your meaning clear.The general consensus among math people is that "multiplication by juxtaposition" (that is, multiplying by just putting things next to each other, rather than using the "×" sign) indicates that the juxtaposed values must be multiplied together before processing other operations. But not all software is programmed this way, and sometimes teachers view things differently. "

So: 48/2(9+3) may or may not be the same as 48/2*(9+3). Depends on who you ask. You may get different answers from math professors.
In this case he is saying 2(12) is still considered parentheses, and must be resolved before you move on to division.
Reply Quote

1) divide
2) multiply
48/2=24
24*12 =288

Correct. So let me ask you this: is (12) = 12 ?
Reply Quote

if you have even half a brain then yes.
Reply Quote

alright, we are going somewhere.

Now, can you re-write 2(12) without getting an answer?
Reply Quote

so if (12) = 12 then that means 1(12) = 12 which means your reading it as 1 * 12 = 12 which means

we can read the question as 48 / 2/1 * 12 = 288...

This is actually so much freaking fun.

left to right + ()

48 / 2 = 24(12) after doing left to right and answering the () jeopardy question.

24(12) == 24 * 12 = 288.
Edited by ShinUmbra#1720 on 6/12/2012 8:01 AM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]