Diablo® III

48÷2(9+3) = ? cont.

06/12/2012 08:16 AMPosted by CobraTodd
Yes it does, but in what order of operation. Is it still considered parentheses 2(12) to be done before division?

NO
the only operation in parenthesis is 12 or if you want 1*12 = 12. That takes care of parenthesis
and you are left with 2 * 12
Reply Quote
Yes it does, but in what order of operation. Is it still considered parentheses 2(12) to be done before division?

parenthesis is already solved for in that.

look closer at the parenthesis, and what is in between them
Reply Quote
When will people realize this is a POORLY WORDED question.

It is the responsibility of the person posing the question to have it phrased in such a way that it makes sense. Mathematicians do not use "÷" symbol to denote division with these types of questions. Instead they use properly placed parenthesis or denote it like this:

Numerator
Denominator

/thread

But it DOES make sense. 48/2(9+3) is the same thing as writting (48/2)(9+3) the added symbols are just UNNEEDED.
Reply Quote

no because in order of operations the (x+y) gets done first then it goes back to the front.

it's like

2 + 3 (3 + 6) / 2 - 1 + 5 =

_______9_____________

_5__*__9__/__2_-_1__+__5 = 19.5
Edited by ShinUmbra#1720 on 6/12/2012 8:27 AM PDT
Reply Quote

I underlined the part where you went wrong: 48/2(12) = 48/24
That is incorrect, because equation 48/2(12) is the same as 48/2*12 which means you:
1) divide
2) multiply
48/2=24
24*12 =288

the parenthesis must be eliminated before the division my friend.

I thought everyone learned this in the 6-7th grade?

48 / 2 * 12 Look I eliminated the parenthesis...

And that's 288...

2(12) is implied multiplication, hence why you can replace it with *
Reply Quote
When will people realize this is a POORLY WORDED question.

It is the responsibility of the person posing the question to have it phrased in such a way that it makes sense. Mathematicians do not use "÷" symbol to denote division with these types of questions. Instead they use properly placed parenthesis or denote it like this:

Numerator
Denominator

/thread

But it DOES make sense. 48/2(9+3) is the same thing as writting (48/2)(9+3) the added symbols are just UNNEEDED.

Correct. (48/2)(9+3) is exact translation of 48÷2(9+3)
Reply Quote

yes, yes, yes. don't listen to the people who say that 2(12) mustn't be done first.

even my old math textbook which I have in my hands right now says that even if a single number is in parentheses, it must be eliminated before doing other divisions and multiplications.
Reply Quote

Correct. (48/2)(9+3) is exact translation of 48÷2(9+3)

which would make it (24)*(12)
Reply Quote
06/12/2012 08:19 AMPosted by ShinUmbra

no because in order of operations the (x+y) gets done first then it goes back to the front.

it's like

_______9_____________

_5__*__9__/__2_-_1__+__5 = 26.5

it's 19.5
Reply Quote
06/12/2012 08:21 AMPosted by SuddenLoss

yes, yes, yes. don't listen to the people who say that 2(12) mustn't be done first.

even my old math textbook which I have in my hands right now says that even if a single number is in parentheses, it must be eliminated before doing other divisions and multiplications.

Okay i will eliminate that for you

2*12

need any more eliminating?
Reply Quote

I tried really hard, but man...you are just hopeless
Reply Quote

This is false. 2(12) = 2*12 the parentheses DO NOT MATTER in this case because it is implying multiplication not operations to be done.

The only time you should get the answer of 2 is if 48/[2(9+3)] was your problem. Which in this case it IS NOT.
Reply Quote
06/12/2012 08:22 AMPosted by Maazer

2*12

you don't eliminate it in that sense genius.

2(12) = 2 * 12
Reply Quote

I'll rephrase:

so that it's not ambiguous.
Reply Quote
I put this matter to rest on page two. A document written by a professional mathematical organization was quoted there, and the document indicates that the professional mathematicians follow a convention that has juxtaposed multiplications take precedence over ther divisions and multiplications. Hence by the convention followed by the professionals, the answer is 2. If you read the problem the other way, you are not reading it the way that professional mathematicians would read it.
Reply Quote

OMG 12 is the solved number for 9+3 it's in () with everyone only because it's easier to be seperated .

WHICH IS THE ONLY THING THAT NEEDS TO BE SOLVED FIRST

48 / 2 (9 + 3)
----------12---
48 >/>2=24>*>12 = 288.
Reply Quote
06/12/2012 08:25 AMPosted by random

This is false. 2(12) = 2*12 the parentheses DO NOT MATTER in this case because it is implying multiplication not operations to be done.

The only time you should get the answer of 2 is if 48/[2(9+3)] was your problem. Which in this case it IS NOT.

Ok well, you can argue with an editor that has a PhD and my calculator now.
Reply Quote

2*12

you don't eliminate it in that sense genius.

2(12) = 2 * 12

What are you talking about? It's the same thing. Regardless of how you look at it. You do not multiply 2*12 first you do 48/2 first.
Reply Quote
Putting a single varieble in parenthese only seperates it from the other values. So then if I was to say 48/2(12), that is only saying that 48/2 is a fraction that is independent of 12 and 12 is not in the denominator. So when you put it into a calculator you get 288 and not 2. So then a varieble being next to another in parentheses in no way gives it priority to being calculated first, only what is inside of it.
Reply Quote
06/12/2012 08:22 AMPosted by Grimraven

it's like

_______9_____________

_5__*__9__/__2_-_1__+__5 = 26.5

it's 19.5

thanks sorry was just quick paper math
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]