Diablo® III

Computer shutdown

100 Gnome Hunter
I am having a problem with my PC shutting off after about 10 minutes of playing Diablo 3. I have tested it with WoW, SWTOR, Minecraft, Photoshop and whatever else I can think to stress my system. I have only experienced it while playing Diablo 3. I have scanned my computer using ESET anitvirus finding no infection. I was wondering if anyone else just might be having the same issue and if so what a fix might be. Thanks
Reply Quote
I'm having the exact same problem. They address it as a possible problem on page 2 of the Quick Start Guide and suggest it is likely because of outdated drivers. I've updated my driver and defragmented my hard drive but it has happened twice during just 1 hour of game play. I do have a slightly older system and my graphics card is listed as "low" on the recommended graphics card lists.
My specs:
HP HDX laptop, Core2 Duo 2.66GHz, 4MB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GT 130M graphics card

I think it just means my 3 1/2 year old laptop just isn't going to cut it. Should I buy a new computer just for Diablo 3? Hell yes!
Reply Quote
06/11/2012 09:02 AMPosted by Nailthorn
I am having a problem with my PC shutting off after about 10 minutes of playing Diablo 3. I have tested it with WoW, SWTOR, Minecraft, Photoshop and whatever else I can think to stress my system. I have only experienced it while playing Diablo 3. I have scanned my computer using ESET anitvirus finding no infection. I was wondering if anyone else just might be having the same issue and if so what a fix might be. Thanks

Check your system temps.
Reply Quote
Overheating
Reply Quote
Same problem here (Got SLI GTX 480). As a temporary fix, set the max foreground FPS to ~50-60. If that doesn't work, check the VSync box. If that doesn't work, reduce the max foreground FPS until your PC stops shutting down.

That fixes it for me.
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
Overheating
Reply Quote
06/11/2012 11:06 AMPosted by Ryce
Overheating

Not overheating, my Cards run at steady 80 degrees when the Max Foreground FPS is turned off, yet it still shuts down. It has something to do with the drivers.
Reply Quote
The hamster demands a fan. Give him one!
Reply Quote
A computer can completely shut off due to excessive heat.

How smoothly does it run? When in game hit ctrl+r and see what your FPS is (it will show up as a number in the upper right corner of your screen). If it's really high, 60+, set a FPS limit in the options. Over rendering can cause a GPU to excessively heat up, there was a problem with SC2 with the Menu doing this.

Also download HWMonitor (http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html) so you can see the temperature of you CPU and GPU. If they are getting over 80C or 170F you might want to look into finding a way to cool your system better.

If it was a software problem you'd most likely have an exception thrown and you'd get a BSOD. If it just shuts off that is most likely the Hardware protecting it's self.
Reply Quote
I know nothing but the two times this has happened to me the causes were:

1. PSU was shot and needed replacing with a bigger one (stupid crappy mini tower dont buy - hello new psu sitting outside of tower now)
2. The same laptop I am using now was clogged with lint and dust. Doesnt have a removeable panel (make sure ur laptop has access to clean before buying) to clean it out so had to find instructions on the net to disassemble without breaking anything
Reply Quote
I'm having the exact same problem. They address it as a possible problem on page 2 of the Quick Start Guide and suggest it is likely because of outdated drivers. I've updated my driver and defragmented my hard drive but it has happened twice during just 1 hour of game play. I do have a slightly older system and my graphics card is listed as "low" on the recommended graphics card lists.
My specs:
HP HDX laptop, Core2 Duo 2.66GHz, 4MB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GT 130M graphics card

I think it just means my 3 1/2 year old laptop just isn't going to cut it. Should I buy a new computer just for Diablo 3? Hell yes!

It could be a issue with your laptop overheating, I had the same problem with WOW about a year ago.
Reply Quote
The graphics in the game are very poorly optimized, even for the high-end cards.

Sloppy development by a group of amateurs.

Really my FPS caps at 60 with Vsync and I have a midrange card (460 GTX)
Reply Quote
Diablo's making your HDD work more, and that's lots of heat. (especially if it's a laptop)
That ambient temperature is probably what's pushing things past the threshold and causing your machine to shut down.

Look into better case cooling if it's a PC, and a decent laptop cooler (if that applies) which should reduce the ambient temperature and in turn help the CPU and GPU remain in a safer zone.
Edited by Oughtor#1920 on 6/11/2012 12:32 PM PDT
Reply Quote
D3 hits hardware unusually hard it would seem. Skyrim, running at absolute maximum settings with high res texture packs, runs about 3C cooler than D3.
Reply Quote
I had this exact problem happen to me (once). My computer just shut down for no reason. It was not due to heat. I have a very new computer with heat sensors on the CPU and GPU. It has never shut down ever before. It happened over the weekend and I was surprised to say the least.

I reloaded and was happy that I wasn't on an HC character and it's been fine since. Some serious !@#$ going on when a game can cause the entire computer to reboot though. Given how rare it is, probably something that slipped through beta testing.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]