Diablo® III

Diablo III and 2012 MacBook Pro Retina Displays

Support Forum Agent
We were pleased that Diablo III was included in Apple's MacBook Pro presentation at their annual Worldwide Developers Conference. While we can confirm that the game runs natively on and takes full advantage of the full screen resolution for the new MacBook Pro, we need to do some work to optimize it for windowed mode on the new system.

We will provide our Mac players with an update when we have further details to share.
Reply Quote
86 Blood Elf Paladin
Thanks for keeping us updated, Machkhan.
Reply Quote
How about fixing the performance of the game first? I have a 2011 MBP with 2.2 GHz i7, 8GB Ram and AMD Radeon HD 6750M with High-res screen. The game runs very badly in almost all outdoor areas of the game. This is by the way on the lowest possible settings and every other application closed.

I did by the way already order the 2.6GHz version of the Retina MBP, but I'd be surprised if I don't have to run windows in order to get a playable experience.
Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
How about fixing the performance of the game first? I have a 2011 MBP with 2.2 GHz i7, 8GB Ram and AMD Radeon HD 6750M with High-res screen. The game runs very badly in almost all outdoor areas of the game. This is by the way on the lowest possible settings and every other application closed.

I did by the way already order the 2.6GHz version of the Retina MBP, but I'd be surprised if I don't have to run windows in order to get a playable experience.

Please keep this thread relating to the topic of the 2012 Macbook Pros. We aware of the issues and have a tracking thread for the cycling FPS causing stutter issues. If other performance issues exist outside of this, please create a separate thread for your issue, so we can investigate. Thanks!
Edited by Machkhan on 6/12/2012 1:21 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Thanks for the confirmation, Machkhan! Could you share with us what the performance of the game is like at full screen native res on the retina MBP? Also, some indication as to how it performs at lower fullscreen settings would be appreciated, ie. any performance hits or fuzziness from scaling when set to lower res modes like 1980x1200?
Edited by metalsquid#6524 on 6/12/2012 2:25 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Troll Hunter
Awesome news thanks a lot Machkhan! After its optimized can we get a "recommend settings" post?

has it been 2-3 yet...
Reply Quote
Considering that 2880x 1800 full 60+ fps is impossible nowadays in a notebook,

What is the second best option: higher 1920x1080 resolution or half-native 1440x900 full detail?

It would be nice to hear an opinion from blizzard....
Reply Quote
Thank you for affirming this as I'm about to place an order for the new notebook!
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Hunter
Got mine yesterday and Diablo III looks awesome! I didn't have much time to do more than install and open the game. I intend to do some further 'testing' today. ;)

Edited by hrrathul#1118 on 6/13/2012 6:16 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Still waiting for my MBP Retina to come, but got this excerpt from Engadget's review.

"To create such a scenario, we installed one of the hottest games of the moment, Diablo III, and cranked it up to full resolution and full graphical details. We did, however, make one exception: anti-aliasing. When you're running at 2880 x 1800, there's no real need.

We were quite happily surprised to see the frame rate hovering between 25 and 30 fps as we explored a few towns and crawled a few dungeons -- perfectly playable at an obscene resolution. Turning it down to something a little more reasonable, 2048 x 1280, netted 40 to 45 fps and running at a relatively mundane 1280 x 800 delivered frame rates over 70. This, then, is a quite passable gaming machine."

That seems perfectly playable at "full graphical details". And it should get better once Blizzard "optimizes" the game for the Retina resolution like they say they are doing now for a later patch.
Reply Quote
Really nice to see this partnership between Apple and Blizzard, keep up the good work.
Reply Quote
06/12/2012 12:07 PMPosted by Machkhan
We were pleased that Diablo III was included in Apple's MacBook Pro presentation at their annual Worldwide Developers Conference. While we can confirm that the game runs natively on and takes full advantage of the full screen resolution for the new MacBook Pro, we need to do some work to optimize it for windowed mode on the new system.

Are you able to clarify/define, what optimize is? Is that implying higher-resolution/clarity or internal performance improvements?

I'm just curious to know if it'll be a visual adjustment or back-end changes.
Reply Quote
This thread is really awesome!

The fact that Blizzard and Apple have chosen to work this "close" on something is exactly what was needed to make things interesting!

Looking forward to hearing more about topping specific game settings at the full retina resolution. Anything else seems kind of irrelevant since the big goal and advertisement of this combination of game and machine has been about "how good it's going to look"!

@ Hrrathul: Is your MBP "maxed"? I'm thinking about buying the 2.6 GHZ version since $250-ish seems a bit rough for just 0.1 GHZ worth of extra juice..!

Cheers
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Hunter
No I didn't get the 2.7 on this one. It's the 2.6 with the 512 flash drive. I was lucky, I walked into an apple store nearby and asked if any were in stock. Luckily they had just gotten in a pallet of them so I snatched one up. Even the Apple employees were jealous. They wanted me to crack it open in the store since none of them had even seen one yet.

The game runs and looks awesome. I followed the Endgaget reviews advice and play in 2048x1280 with anti-aliasing turned off. It plays fine maxxed out, but the cursor was too small and with all the carnage my barbarian was dealing I kept running the wrong way. ;)

Edited by hrrathul#1118 on 6/14/2012 5:52 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Hrrathul:

Any heating issues? Have you checked the temperatures while running the game? I'd be grateful if you could answer this. Thanks!
Reply Quote
Hrrathul:

Any heating issues? Have you checked the temperatures while running the game? I'd be grateful if you could answer this. Thanks!

Also how is the noise level. I still have good memories of my old macbook pro running like an airplane while playing WoW :-)
Reply Quote

The game runs and looks awesome. I followed the Endgaget reviews advice and play in 2048x1280 with anti-aliasing turned off.

Did you consider disabling shadows as well?
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Hunter
The fans definitely come on. But that was the same with my 17 inch MacBook Pro as well so I didn't really notice.

I believe I have shadows on. I'm at my son's baseball practice so I'll check later tonight. I'll see about getting some temperature info too.

The fans definitely come on. But that was the same with my 17 inch MacBook Pro as well so I didn't really notice.

I believe I have shadows on. I'm at my son's baseball practice so I'll check later tonight. I'll see about getting some temperature info too.

Appreciate it. I'm eagerly awating your reply :-)
Reply Quote
Blizzard Employee
06/13/2012 01:35 PMPosted by InsaneMcCain

Are you able to clarify/define, what optimize is? Is that implying higher-resolution/clarity or internal performance improvements?

I'm just curious to know if it'll be a visual adjustment or back-end changes.

Optimize in this case means that we will fix any bugs related to the retina display. Mostly aesthetic.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]