Diablo® III

Diablo III and 2012 MacBook Pro Retina Displays

100 Dwarf Hunter
OK, sorry practice went long then I had to pack for a trip to San Francisco...where I am playing Diablo 3! =p

Temperature never gets above 140 F. I have it on my lap now, but I can see how it would get uncomfortable except during winter when a warm lap is a feature. The heat is mostly in the middle of the laptop but the ends are noticeably cooler. So maybe it will be fine for some people.

Shadows look good under low settings and I get 40FPS in heavy fighting, 60 just running around.

Was that it? Oh and speakers sound pretty good too.

Edited by hrrathul#1118 on 6/15/2012 6:46 PM PDT
Reply Quote
OK, sorry practice went long then I had to pack for a trip to San Francisco...where I am playing Diablo 3! =p

Temperature never gets above 140 F. I have it on my lap now, but I can see how it would get uncomfortable except during winter when a warm lap is a feature. The heat is mostly in the middle of the laptop but the ends are noticeably cooler. So maybe it will be fine for some people.

Shadows look good under low settings and I get 40FPS in heavy fighting, 60 just running around.

Thanks!
Reply Quote
Ive got some result for SC2 & Diablo 3! I recently bought the high end MBP comes stock with the 2.6Ghz quad core i7 has turbo boost up to 3.6Ghz with 8GB ram, two graphics cards, HD 4000 with 512mb and the geforce GT 650m with 1GB. I put everything on ultra including the more precise mouse movement option, put the resolution on max (2880x1800). I started a 4 vs 4 all A.I on insane difficulty, of course once the game begins i put in the god mode cheat then i built nothing but SCVs and command centers about 20 or so, i max out my SCVs to 200 then waited, i was able to get the frame-rate down to 5 fps, average gameplay frame-rate was between 7 to 15 later in the game, the game began at around 29fps. I now feel as if apple should have put dual 650m GPUs with at least 1.5GB dedicated per GPU, the Retina display is very hungry for processing power... On a different not i did play Diablo 3 with out any problem on max settings but Ive only play for about 20mins. during the time i tested SC2 & Diablo 3 i had all programs closed, not sure what the exact frame rate of Diablo 3 was but it did seem smooth, hope this helps. if you have anymore question feel free to ask
Reply Quote
I think the majority of people are missing the point of the Retina display. Apple is intending, and has designed, the Retina resolution capability to increase pixel density, as in give a same sizes object on another 15" screen more detail. The 'optimized' Diablo 3 experience will not be 2800X1800. it will be 1400x900 with double-density detail.

If you go to your current monitor and increase/decrease the res, you will see the less/more real estate factor come into play. If you took a 15" screen and actually moved the slider to 2800x1800, you wouldn't be able to read anything or see any detail. It would simply be too small.

The perfect example, that I'm sure at least 4/5 of you have seen, is the comparison of the iPad 2 v. the New iPad. The New iPad doesn't have twice the real estate. The apps simply use a higher density pixel count at the native iPad resolution. MAJOR DIFFERENCE. An old app doesn't display at half the size, just half the detail.

I'm sure you could only get 20 fps on 2800x1800 on Diablo 3, unless it was an OPTIMIZED, HIGHER DENSITY version that Blizzard will prep specifically for the Retina Macbook. Until then, we will see people complaining about slow fps, unsuitability, etc, etc.

UPDATE- I installed DIII on my new Macbook Pro Retina last night, with 16gb ram as only upgrade. I disabled auto graphics switching, so it is in full performance at all times. At 2880x1800 on full screen mode, all settings at high, with normal (mid) shadows, the performance is silky-smooth, and no slowdowns even on act 2 inferno with my monk. The colors are amazingly vibrant, the action crisp, and I have not seen any hiccups thus far. DIII never looked so amazing.
Edited by Titanigon#1913 on 6/26/2012 10:55 AM PDT
Reply Quote

How is the fan noise?

My only reference for comparison is my old MBP 3,1 from 2007. When it starts overheating, the fans crank up to 6K RPM and it sounds like a small vacuum cleaner, and the bottom gets HOT. (Sometimes I wonder if the old MBP 3,1 is safe, given the battery and overheating issues it's had.)

Is it similar at all to that?
Edited by Exorex#1565 on 6/18/2012 9:28 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Whoops, I made a thread and then I saw this sticky. D'oh! Here's my experience on 1.0.2.c:

I ran Caverns of Araneae a few times at the following settings, and my girlfriend kept an eye on the FPS counter to get some baseline FPS numbers.

Settings:
Texture Quality: High
Shadow Quality: Medium
Physics: High
Cluster Density: High
No Antialiasing
No Low FX

1680x1050
Low FPS: 43
High FPS: 51
Avg: Around 48

2048x1280
Low FPS: 30
High FPS: 41
Avg: Around 43

2880x1800
Low FPS: 16
High FPS: 21
Avg: Around 20

Let me add the game looks very good at 1680x1050 on the display, and is very sharp at 2048x1280. The game is very playable at those resolutions, as well. I don't think you're going to run this at native res.

I was also going to re-run this with AA turned on, but honestly, the game looked great as is.

Hope this helps anyone who was on the fence about this machine!

How is the fan noise?

My only reference for comparison is my old MBP 3,1 from 2007. When it starts overheating, the fans crank up to 6K RPM and it sounds like a small vacuum cleaner, and the bottom gets HOT. (Sometimes I wonder if the old MBP 3,1 is safe, given the battery and overheating issues it's had.)

Is it similar at all to that?

I'll echo Hrrathul's comment. The fans certainly kick on and get moving pretty quickly. I don't think they're as loud as my old 2010 MBP, but they're not silent by any stretch.
Reply Quote
Excellent. Thanks for posting your experiences. This computer has spawned so much debate, in both tech forums and popular media alike.

@MutterFudder - What model of rMBP do you have (RAM/processor)? I have 2.3 with 16GB if RAM on order. Sadly, no D3 for me until it arrives ...

Does anyone know what graphic card class D3 pegs the 650m at in the file that everyone was mucking with in TextEdit?
Reply Quote
@Mimefrog, I went with the base model: 2.3ghz, 8GB RAM. I couldn't justify the extra $200 for the RAM, cheap as it is.
Reply Quote
I was trying to run Diablo 3 on my MBP with Retina display. It works fine. However, later I used bootcamp to create a partition and installed Windows 7 Home Edition (64 bit) and Diablo 3 (PC version) again. I noted that once I entered into the login screen, my Touchpad (and mouse, if attached) no longer responding but keyboard was working fine. I click Escape to exit the game and my Touchpad and mouse is back normal. Is that a problem only to myself? Any clue for that?
Reply Quote
rMBP base model here.

Max resolution is unplayable, reducing some of the settings makes it very playable but not as pretty, which feels like a huge waste.

I've tried running Diablo on an external monitor in clamshell mode (1920x1080) with full settings... it's barely chugging along and I can't tell what kind of FPS I am getting because the FPS command is bugged.

Super disappointed, and I'm leaning towards returning the rMBP and just getting an MBA + gaming desktop... I can easily do that for under $2400.

What do you guys think?
Reply Quote
Delslow: are you running with Automatic Graphics Switching turned off ? It's on by default.

And yes, FPS is buggy....returns 0. Though I wish they also had the ping available as a number in the top right corner as well as the colored strip.

Happy gaming.
Edited by AvatarWill#6668 on 6/21/2012 12:51 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I am facing this issue on my Retina Display MacBook Pro, whenever I print the FPS rate for my Mac, it prints out "FPS: 0", not sure if this is only me or it is indeed a bug??
Reply Quote
06/21/2012 12:05 PMPosted by Happiehappie
I am facing this issue on my Retina Display MacBook Pro, whenever I print the FPS rate for my Mac, it prints out "FPS: 0", not sure if this is only me or it is indeed a bug??

Same issue here
Reply Quote
62 Human Death Knight
To fix the mouse becoming unresponsive in Windows 7, you need to turn down the UI of the desktop from 150% to 125%. There must be a bug in Diablo 3 related to this setting.

That fixed the problem for me!
Reply Quote
Thanks for your suggestion. But I tuned down the screen resolution down to 1280*800 (something like that, could not remember exactly) but the mouse pointer still freeze once I entered into the login screen.
Reply Quote
06/22/2012 08:08 AMPosted by erazor

Same issue here
Same applied to myself when I launched it on Mac OS.
Reply Quote
Any news on when the patch optimization will be? Just got my retina last night!
Reply Quote
100 Undead Warlock
06/28/2012 07:18 AMPosted by AoWRev

Yes! some news would be nice!

Also has anyone come up with a good format for settings to have the game run smooth and keep your 2.3 macbook COOL. Im running mostly high settings (i think i have anti ailaisasdfk or w/e off and medium shadow quality) but its still getting pretty darn warm and the fans are working!

I have the base 2.3 model.
Reply Quote
This game on the retina display makes rainbows come out of my eyes.
Reply Quote
06/28/2012 09:45 AMPosted by Mcscrotie

Yes! some news would be nice!

Also has anyone come up with a good format for settings to have the game run smooth and keep your 2.3 macbook COOL. Im running mostly high settings (i think i have anti ailaisasdfk or w/e off and medium shadow quality) but its still getting pretty darn warm and the fans are working!

I have the base 2.3 model.

The rMBP will always run a little warm due to its thin design there is really no way for this machine to run cool while gaming or doing CPU intensive work. Of course the machine running a warm(60-70s celsius internal CPU/GPU and 100-110 F external) and hot (anything less than 95 C) will not damage the machine.

I felt that running the game on High texture with everything else on low at 2880x1800 tend to look the best along with keeping the machine in the 65-71 range GPU/CPU and the external temp very tolerable.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]