Diablo® III

"Do not fail me Rakanoth,..."

Rakanoth's task was not "go get not killed by the hero". It was "kill the hero". Any course of action that ended in not killing the hero - losing in a fight, running away, deception, betrayal, attempting to strike a deal - is what Diablo would consider failure. Note that not all of those possibilities necessarily end in getting killed by the hero.

In other words - "fight the hero to the death, because if you do anything other than fight to the death, I will make you wish you had died fighting."

And y'know, when the higher-ranking demons have been around since the beginning of time, reminding them that their eternity is about to be cut abruptly short if they screw up maybe isn't bad for motivation either.
Edited by Meteoric#1962 on 6/14/2012 3:08 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Rogue
06/14/2012 02:08 AMPosted by Nightbreeze
It's not like the hero is gonna spare his life.

Rakanoth not only could run, he's a teleporting demon. It would've been insanely easy for him to just teleport away and run if he was losing the fight.
Reply Quote
Diablo is a chatty teenager girl. He should've said this to Rakanoth alone, not to us. She talks too much, and she makes you lose respect for her as an opponent. Your own character shows a blatant lack of fear, and Diablo's dialogue is a blatant proof of fear being concealed through "empty" threats and over-bickering.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Rogue
06/14/2012 08:27 AMPosted by Taraknis
Your own character shows a blatant lack of fear,

To be fair, the same is held true for the heroes of D1 and D2.
Reply Quote
Your own character shows a blatant lack of fear,

no it isn't, because the heroes in DI and II had no personality at all, you make it seem as if they were brave. That was the fun thing, you could feel more of a unity and actually be your character. This is gone in DIII.
Edited by Dirach#1299 on 6/14/2012 12:22 PM PDT
Reply Quote
-
Edited by Dirach#1299 on 6/14/2012 12:23 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
06/14/2012 12:17 PMPosted by Dirach
you make it seem as if they were brave.

They were willing to fight armies of undead and demons. I think that proves their bravery.
Reply Quote
Diablo [s]is a chatty teenager girl[/s]HAS NO INDOOR VOICE. He should've said this to Rakanoth [s]alone, not to us[/s] a little more quiety. She talks too [s]much, and she makes you lose respect for her as an opponent[/s] loudly.

There, fixed that for you.

What? No strikethrough code on these forums? What madness is this!?
Edited by Wurg#1796 on 6/14/2012 1:36 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I think the whole threat level is different when dealing with angels / demons.

I mean think about it. Demons are essentially recyclable, right? They get killed, spend some certain amount of time in Limbo and then come back to reality good as new.

My thought would be that the cost of failure for Iskatu and Rakanoth would be so many decades / centuries of torture if they lost. It does sort of explain their willingness to fight to the death, I mean why worry about getting killed when it really doesn’t cost you anything?

Besides, in the best traditions of upper management, Diablo was giving a motivational speech to his employees. You know, one of those “the beatings will continue until morale improves” types. There's an idea for a thread topic... the management lessons of Diablo 3. :)
Reply Quote
@Melyria

You can only teleport 20 yards in this game, and only in line of sight
Reply Quote
When Diablo said ''Do not fail me'' he was talking bout Rakanoth swalloing Auriel.IF YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN
Reply Quote
Well at that line, I thought that after Iskatus defeat, Diablo trapped his soul and tormented him, so basically if Rakanoth died his soul would be tormented by diablo as well. But, thinking about it, its not that clear ingame :/
Reply Quote
@sadist

He mentions Iskatu's and HIS brothers' fate. I don't see why he would torment them
Edited by Hells#1558 on 6/15/2012 7:50 AM PDT
Reply Quote
06/14/2012 12:17 PMPosted by Dirach

no it isn't, because the heroes in DI and II had no personality at all, you make it seem as if they were brave. That was the fun thing, you could feel more of a unity and actually be your character. This is gone in DIII.

D2 characters had lines that displayed their personality in a number of places. Offhand, I cannot recall a single one that displayed anything resembling fear; most of them cracked one-liners while they were rank novices walking half-naked and barely armed into a dark cave filled with a horde of bloodthirsty monsters and the walking dead. "I may be so feeble that the mere task of getting here leaves me winded [stamina bar], but these monsters sieging a fortified camp of heavily armed veterans are no threat to me!"
Reply Quote
06/13/2012 09:43 AMPosted by Melyria
I like how this Melyria troll is just running from post to post defending Blizzard at all costs. Another typical fanboy who isn't getting paid to be their PR Rep but acts like it and secretly imagines that they care.

Hi.

Tyrael was the most boring character in the game.
Act 2 was botched so heavily and deserved to be two acts, not one.
Cain's death was mishandled.
Diablo was too wordy.
The Act 3/4 cinematic was pointless.
The atmosphere in D3 is not as grim or gritty as it was in D1 and D2.
Eirena I find to be grating.
Act 1 felt reversed and the Skeleton King should've probably been the Act boss.
Belial was predictable and transparent.
We didn't get to see the other Sin Lieutenants.
We didn't get to see enough of the other Evil's presence within Diablo Prime.
I have a problem with Tyrael staying behind as you face Diablo.
I have a problem with Magda expositing about the next sword fragment being int he Nephalem temple.
I have a problem that the Betrayal was not shown in cinematic.
I have issue with how open ended the final cinematic is.
Not enough ambient lore via journals.
The plot hole with the Soulstone and Mephisto and Diablo's soul.
Zoltun Kulle being killed.
Lack of build up and explaination for the Triune Cult.
Too much foreshadowing for Adria and Leah's twists.
Act 3 and 4 were too short.
Cain's beastiary should've been read by Leah, not Cain.
The voice acting for Magda, female Barbarian, female witch doctor, female monk and Emperor Hakkan II (when will people learn not to hire child voice actors)

Would you like to shut up now?

06/13/2012 09:37 AMPosted by Zeratul
The story sucks, and you do too for trying desperately and breathlessly to defend it at every angle.

Nitpicking a line that has a logical outcome (If you fail, you're dead) and trying to take it too literally, is not a good argument for why the game is bad.

If somebody did the same thing but attempting to make the game look like a 5star story, I'd be slapping down that argument too.

Maybe I just happen to dislike bad logic, poor arguments and nitpicking.

No he's right all you've done with a 1% chance of error apparently as quoted above is defend mindlessley like a drone and it's annoying. Troll is troll

It's not evben worth shooting down you're completely stupid nitpicking comment which ignores what should be such an obvious point that an elementary school kid would get it
Edited by Shingram#1112 on 6/15/2012 6:18 PM PDT
Reply Quote
88 Draenei Shaman
I, for one, am kinda sick of all of the hate for D3's story; everyone looks back to D2 as if it's plot and story was somehow infinitely better...but I have a feeling it's being viewed through nostalgia glasses.

D2 is basically a story of complete failure and the heroes' inability to halt the machinations of the Prime Evils until the very last minute...and even then, they [I]still fail[/i] to prevent Baal from achieving his goal. Throw in a number of "Sorry, but the Princess is in Another Castle" moments as you ineffectively chase down the Dark Wanderer and you have D2 in a nutshell.

Diablo 1 failed even more in terms of story; the manual packed in with the book told a grand, epic tale of an eternal conflict between heaven and hell...but that epic feeling never carried over into the actual game. You caught glimpses here and there, maybe...but at the end of the day, the game's story was nothing more than, "Walk deeper into this dungeon and kill some nasties until you find Lazarus and Diablo. Kthxbai."

Story has never been Diablo's strength. Period.
Reply Quote
06/15/2012 07:44 PMPosted by Vraan
D2 is basically a story of complete failure and the heroes' inability to halt the machinations of the Prime Evils until the very last minute...and even then, they [I]still fail[/i] to prevent Baal from achieving his goal.

That doesn't make a story bad.
Tragedy makes good stories.
Reply Quote
88 Draenei Shaman
06/15/2012 09:16 PMPosted by cordeirooo
D2 is basically a story of complete failure and the heroes' inability to halt the machinations of the Prime Evils until the very last minute...and even then, they [I]still fail[/i] to prevent Baal from achieving his goal.

That doesn't make a story bad.
Tragedy makes good stories.

You omitted the important part.
A story of complete failure is bad when "the princess is in another castle" moments are thrown in at each failure.

In Act 1, you slay Andariel...but oops, you just missed the Dark Wanderer. Try again!
In Act 2, you slay Duriel...but dang it all, you just missed the Dark Wanderer again. Oh, and Baal's free, too. He's not here, either.
In Act 3, you slay Mephisto...and surprise, surprise, you missed the Dark Wanderer for a third time. By the way, he's Diablo now and he's rallying Hell's army.
In Act 4, you finally catch up to Diablo...but you forgot about Baal! He's way over there, now. Go get him!
In Act 5, you catch up to Baal...after he accomplished everything he set out to do. Sure, you kill him...but he apparently corrupted the World Stone anyway. You were just a little too late. You know all of that running around and fighting you did? Yeah, it was pretty much for nothing, because now the World Stone needs to be destroyed. Not quite sure what that'll do, but let's find out!

Tragedy can, in fact, make for fantastic stories.
Diablo 2, however, is not a tragedy. It's a story filled with lame, "oh, you just missed him!" moments...right up through the end of the game. When you throw in elements such as the Horadric Staff, which was ultimately one gigantic fetch-quest that comprised the majority of an act, the "you just missed him" moments become even more ridiculous.

Say what you will about Diablo 3's story...but don't look back to it's predecessors as if they're any better.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Rogue
06/15/2012 06:17 PMPosted by Shingram
No he's right all you've done with a 1% chance of error apparently as quoted above is defend mindlessley like a drone and it's annoying. Troll is troll

Again, the above problems I've expressed multiple times in multiple ways throughout these forums. Just because you don't see me bring up points of this story I have issue with, doesn't mean I don't do it.

06/15/2012 06:17 PMPosted by Shingram
It's not evben worth shooting down you're completely stupid nitpicking comment which ignores what should be such an obvious point that an elementary school kid would get it

I'm explaining that it doesn't matter if a point is for or against this game, if its stupid I'll point it out. Which I've said repeatedly, even to you. You seem to be the one lacking in reading comprehension.
Reply Quote
I don't even understand the point of threatening minions with death should they fail in their duties. Uhhh, no really, a demonic evil lord of Hell would do that? To me?! Preposterous.

Do the spawn of Hell even have the capacity to be intimidated by that kind of a threat? Wouldn't they do their best to kill the hero regardless of Diablo's threats? I can see how terrorizing cowardly minions like imps would be a useful strategy, but most of the hellspawn don't appear to have any emotional hesitation when it comes to doing what they were meant to do.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]