Diablo® III

What happened to Banners/Achievements?

What if the banner idea was scratched all together? We play as nephalem heros, we deserve something a little nicer than a torn piece of fabric right? Give us a roof to live under, and slap the banner on top of it! Click on the door to teleport to the person, OR go inside and check out all of the swag they have picked up throughout the course of their journeys (legendaries, account specific items, etc...). It'd make it a little more interesting than monotonously clicking on a circle, and half the time accidentally clicking the wrong one! Food for thought.
Reply Quote
Achievement forum is a no brainer. When I want information for achievements I end up searching the forums, and it's tough to find what I'm actually looking for. Threads about locations of the "lore books", "event quests", "beastiary info", and "locations" end up being pages long and have a huge following, but they get buried easy in general chat.
Reply Quote
06/13/2012 02:05 PMPosted by Thades

Good feedback. We'll definitely the consider it.

It was an awesome idea in concept, but just didn't work out well in execution. We found that, while the base accents looked really cool in some places like the character screen and other menus, they were extremely difficult to see while you were actually in game -- which kind of defeated the point. We're going to be looking at additional ways for players to customize their banners and show off their accomplishments (ideally in ways that are visible while playing).

Unfortunately, I don't have any updates to share right now. I'll see if there's any further information I can glean today for you, though.

IMO, some other things you can do to customize your banner is add a head to the staff and customize the actual staff itself, being able to choose from side banners, a metal, fire, ice type of staff for the banner, maybe a gargoyle for the head ornament.

Great Idea!
Reply Quote
Posted by sirius89I really hope you didn't cut out the Crest rewards also for PvP when it gets added later on because they are really cool.

I play HC because it's the style I like and I enjoy it alot more than SC, that being said, I really would disagree with PvP accents being added to the banner while the HC ones have been scrapped with no info on if there is any intention of having something for HC players. I have never liked PvP but that doesn't mean I don't think it has a place in the D3 universe for the small minority of people that enjoy it too.

So basically.........give me my base of skulls or something like it to show some respect to your HC community!!!! :)
Reply Quote
no cnt sorry.
Reply Quote
06/13/2012 01:15 PMPosted by Herbburglar
but google solved that pretty easily.

...if there was an achievement forum people could go there rather than googling everything. Matter of preference.
Reply Quote
06/13/2012 04:47 PMPosted by STG
...they were extremely difficult to see while you were actually in game -- which kind of defeated the point. We're going to be looking at additional ways for players to customize their banners and show off their accomplishments (ideally in ways that are visible while playing).

TBH I find this lack of recognition to be the case overall.

I use a very stark and simple design which is unique, easy to identify, and "works" for me, but most ppls' banners, I'm just like "what? I'm supposed to decode something from this? Impossible."

And even tho I think HC is broke to high heaven and will probably never play it again, I think HC achievers deserve their banner to have some kind of special properties that lend it relatively instant, unmistakable recognition.

[begin banner idea dump]

Misc customization ideas that come to mind, not necessarily HC only but whatever:
  • I'll start with the simplest, surely most-easy-to-implement idea in this whole post: checkbox to "flip horizontal", for sigil and other graphics. maybe even "flip vertical". maybe even a transparency slider.
  • I'm sure it has already been suggested, but glows or particle effects would be cool for some of the more lofty achievements. or whatever. Dripping blood effect like an inverse desecrator effect; arcane or electrical sparks; plague cloud; ethereal "wizard-eye"; etc.
  • customizations to the pole, e.g. making it a trident/pitchfork; a gallows/gibbet; a scaffold of bones; for wizard, perhaps a levitating banner w/ no pole at all; a gnarled tree; a squire holding it (yes, he para-drops in!) ... for that matter, bound demons or other summons, or a pack animal, instead of a squire; shepherd's crook; stone pillar; etc.
  • not sure if base modifications are off the table entirely, but some easy to recognize ones I can think of would be: pile of skulls (a given!); grave mound/marker; pile of treasure; rats' nest/pile of offal/corpses; instead of a base, make the pole disappear into an abyss in the ground; etc.; some dare-i-say-"gnomish" (for lack of a more succinct term, but of course keep it in the diablo art style) contraption (concept could be applied to pole as well), etc.

and hopefully it won't kibosh the whole thing, but it seems worth mentioning that, for whatever reason, very few ppl even use the banner. I use it more than anyone I've seen, and that's still rarely, and 50% of the time by accident or for utility reason such as in conjunction w/ a text chat: "treasure dropped here", when u are split up from your party to search or clear an area. which reminds me, I don't think the banner stays long enough.

afa using it as a taunt or boast, or just to stake a claim, I, myself have done this about once and have seen others do it zero. (hey guess I just have to practice and get in the habit.)

dare I even say.....? -- (sure, I dare, because I'm not some "pro" video game maker who has to have my creativity bound every step of the way by artifice, ostensibly in the name of "challenge", "balance", "consistency", "profit", etc.!!) -- elite achievements (or non elite ones) could imbue the banner with some kind of aura or other non-cosmetic effect. obviously something SUPER subtle/trivial and/or situational. originally I was thinking along the lines of a buff aura of microscopic, decimal magnitude, .........but we know even the slightest tangible effect would see ppl dropping banners constantly, and that would get silly (or you guys would put an artificial limit on how often ppl can drop the banner, which would just make us rant @ ur changes more .. heck, there probably is one already. dunno.) I also hesitate to suggest anything that would make D3 more of a "winners outs" club than it already is ... i.e. ppl who are already mean enough to beat inferno diablo, for example, get another buff -- however minor -- on top of that, for winning? there's enough of that kind of thing going on in the way of MF/GF. anyway, just brainstorming.

another thought that keeps popping into my head is that other players would hover or click on your banner, and somehow be able to see a micro-profile, like top 3 achievements (or 3 of the players choice), screenshots/short video/animation of critical moments (and perhaps certain moments in the game should have auto-record capability to help facilitate this.) would have to be done in a "gameplay-friendly" way so as not to interfere w/ play if a banner is dropped "in the field." the banner itself could become a visual "portal", thru which u scry these memorable events, at a quality level roughly on a par with that of a television set in "The Sims".

above is probably totally unworkable, but inspired the much more workable idea: hover to see a text quote, in ghostly or gilded text.

for that matter, animated sigil or other overlay graphics.

and of course "let users upload custom banner image" has probably already been discussed and discarded for obvious, not-entirely-technical reasons, but I'll just throw it out there. seems to be good fun in Valve games. :P

one final thought on the apparent lack of popularity of actually using the banner in the field: even if people never intentionally drop banners, the fact that they are so centrally-located, -visible, and -utilized in towns, if you give people cool "bling" (in the broadest sense) to put on their banners, other players WILL eventually start taking more note, as they begin to see cool stuff on others' banners, which they want to unlock for themselves.

[/end banner idea dump]

again: brainstorming. cutting it off here for now. TY GL HF.

P.S. it's been great fun but must disclaim: would much rather see a whole lot of work spent on tangible, gameplay/UI/content/service improvements rather than these trivial cosmetics. TY.

You and me think along the same lines. In other threads I mentioned how pushing G summons your Banner and how it works on a cooldown system. I followed that up by saying if they tweaked it to make the cooldown take longer to refill, then turning the Banners into their own specific skill that acts as area-of-effect aura buffs would be awesome, and add a whole new element to online play.

To make things clear, I'm referring to what you commented on concerning buffs and auras. I want to point out that it could easily be made so this idea can't be taken advantage of or make the game easier. Look below for how I describe things like how the cooldown timer would work and how it create even more challenging gameplay settings.

I'll detail how this should be implemented, in my opinion. Customizing your banner would create varying auras. The primary, root skill of the Banner would be based on what type of Banner itself you choose, like choosing Rugged as a skill could be reflected by creating an aura that is for the rugged-type characters, like the Barbarian. Like being able to take more hits in terms of defense.

Then the customization of other features of the Banner or Flags, being things like the Sigils, Crests, and Patterns, would be like a rune-system for that aura-based skill. Let's assume we still have Rugged selected for our Banner and what it does is lower defense but increases strength. This would make sense, since a rugged person would have scars, meaning they'd be hit a lot. Lets say Rugged makes your armor rating go down 10% but increases your weapon DPS amount by 10 %.

So, lets say the next "rune" to pick is the Sigil. Unfortunately I can't find a list of them right now, so I'll make up names where I can't remember one. What would happen if we put a Sigil of a Vampire on the Rugged Banner. Lets assume it has to do with Life Absorption. However, to avoid balancing problems, it would need to have a weakness to it as well. So instead of simply adding 10% Damage Converted as Life, it would make sense to either decrease the armor rating even further, or decrease the amount of added damage to add this buff.

This is why it resembles the Rune system. Picking the right setup for the right scenario is key to survival. After the Sigil comes the Crest. What would happen if you picked something like Cheetahs? This would obviously increase Attack Speed in this instance. However, if the Banner wasn't Rugged, not based on attack damage, but based on movement, this crest would give you an added movement speed atop the one that comes from the Banner.

Another quick example before explaining the best place to use Banners in the game. Let's assume the Sigil you pick is the Clover - I know for a fact this one does exist. This would either effect the luck you have in certain aspects. So if you were to put a Crest of a Gem underneath, it would increase the quality of Gem drops, while a crest of gold would obviously increase gold amounts.

Now adding this to game would create the first achievement system that actually rewards the players. But it would also make the game too easy. To avoid this problem, Banners would be limited to certain conditions. The first is PvP, which just gives this mode that much more strategy and will make it even funner and addicting. Also, if they release another Arena-based mode that is Team-focused combat, Team versus Team, it would work here as well. The same goes for something like an Arena mode that pits players against wave after wave of enemies, in the same way Halo has Firefight and Gears has the Horde mode.

Other than limiting this to the future Arena modes, it could also give Blizzard the chance to do two other things. Create co-operative Challenge Raids, and instead of pitting 40 against one Boss, it would be 4 against surviving a dungeon challenge and at the end, its Boss and the Boss's enchanted mobs and minions. And finally, imagine if Blizzard released a difficulty mode that is even harder than Inferno! Something like this would be needed to survive, if you are friends have any chance of success.

I've been thinking about this idea for the last several days and my hope is for Blizzard to comment on it. If they have already been planning something along this line but are still fine-tuning it, if they are simply researching the idea, or if there is no chance of it being included in the future of Diablo.

Please, I'd love some sort of answer, even if its a disappointing one. And if you don't plan on including this feature, could you still try and comment on if you like the idea itself?
Edited by ArcticSwan#1556 on 6/13/2012 11:55 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I think banner upgrades are still a neat idea, but thing lacking from the game is a reason to use it. If you could get the banner to show up on the map (even if it's just a dot) so people could track it down, that would be a good reason to use it. As someone else mentioned, you can mark a loot drop or point of interest so that the person can go there without stopping, casting town portal, asking who's banner to take, etc. Sure it doesn't seem useful to someone who is in town, but when everyone is out on the map, it can definitely be useful.

That being said, I also think that, again as someone else mentioned, the banners disappear too quickly. It would be nice if they stuck around until the person who dropped the banner presses the banner key again or drops another banner (same thing.) If they have to go away after a short period of time, you could add a feature where if someone opens there map and clicks on it, it is saved as a temporary waypoint and extends the amount of time the banner is visible by 60+ seconds. Don't want it too short, because they might run into a mob on the way there, only to find the waypoint gone by the time they're done clearing mobs.

Other than that, I'd still love to see those upgrades that were shown off at Blizzcon 2011.
Reply Quote
I'm really only posting to agree with the OP's comment that there should be an Achievements forum, as it's a fairly expansive topic in its own right.

That, and to say one other word as a reminder of what we'd love to see fixed: Lycaeum. (Unless it already has been in recent days, as I've stopped looking in the absence of updated information)

Cheers,
Lain
Reply Quote
06/13/2012 01:12 PMPosted by Lylirra
We'll definitely the consider it.

I really laughed when I read this...
Reply Quote
I think banner upgrades are still a neat idea, but thing lacking from the game is a reason to use it. If you could get the banner to show up on the map (even if it's just a dot) so people could track it down, that would be a good reason to use it. As someone else mentioned, you can mark a loot drop or point of interest so that the person can go there without stopping, casting town portal, asking who's banner to take, etc. Sure it doesn't seem useful to someone who is in town, but when everyone is out on the map, it can definitely be useful.

That being said, I also think that, again as someone else mentioned, the banners disappear too quickly. It would be nice if they stuck around until the person who dropped the banner presses the banner key again or drops another banner (same thing.) If they have to go away after a short period of time, you could add a feature where if someone opens there map and clicks on it, it is saved as a temporary waypoint and extends the amount of time the banner is visible by 60+ seconds. Don't want it too short, because they might run into a mob on the way there, only to find the waypoint gone by the time they're done clearing mobs.

Other than that, I'd still love to see those upgrades that were shown off at Blizzcon 2011.

Because of their being no reason to use my idea is actually the reason I think its a possibility. In the context of my idea, if Blizzard has developed more to the Banner system to be used, its possible we just wont see it implemented until that PvP update.
Reply Quote
I think an achievement forum is a great idea and rather easy to implement.

Speaking of, is there a way to view your achievements online without being logged into the game server?

Microsoft Live has this option and I was surprised it didn't exist already for Blizzard.
Reply Quote
Whilst its nice that you want to improve the game with an achievement forum/extra customisation of the banner, I cant help but feel like this should not even be considered until they (Blizzard) fix much more important things.

Such as:-

* Poor server performance (Lag, Rubber-banding, low capability at high loads)
* Poor itemisation (mainly level ranges such as getting lvl 45 items in A3 Inferno, poor legendaries/set itemisation)
*General chat goldselling spam (Theres currently no point staying in the channel, you cant hold a conversation with anyone)
*Hacking/Compromising of accounts
*Botting/duping/exploits
* AH being constantly bugged/abused/taken down
* Lack of ANY customer service
*Lack of ANY forum participation by official posters, specifically on EU forums (oddly, your minor improvement got a response over much more important issues).
* Poorly implemented AH (search parameters need a massive overhaul for example)
*HC invisible-mob deaths
* Poor game design (A Farming game where they nerf all but one possible farming method? nerfing any viable inferno builds so everyone runs the same spec in each class . . )
* Class imbalance, for example a geared barb struggles in A2+ Inferno whilst an undergeared DH can clear the whole game (I Levelled a Barb to 60 because I thought people were overstating the problem, however Barb is amazing and the most fun to end of A1 Inferno, then becomes unplayable. My 60 DH can clear everything with worse gear and is the toon i use to farm Inferno Whimsyshire).
* Preferential treatment for US players/forums (you might think this is subjective, however EU forums get less/no official interaction with the exception of copy+paste material, usually 2 days late. RMAH has been implemented in US, EU is still waiting, game was cheaper to buy in dollars etc etc).
* Lack of community *feel*
* No single player, offline version

Pretty sure I can think of a lot more, but im sure those will do for starters.
Reply Quote
Whilst its nice that you want to improve the game with an achievement forum/extra customisation of the banner, I cant help but feel like this should not even be considered until they (Blizzard) fix much more important things.

Such as:-

* Poor server performance (Lag, Rubber-banding, low capability at high loads)
* Poor itemisation (mainly level ranges such as getting lvl 45 items in A3 Inferno, poor legendaries/set itemisation)
*General chat goldselling spam (Theres currently no point staying in the channel, you cant hold a conversation with anyone)
*Hacking/Compromising of accounts
*Botting/duping/exploits
* AH being constantly bugged/abused/taken down
* Lack of ANY customer service
*Lack of ANY forum participation by official posters, specifically on EU forums (oddly, your minor improvement got a response over much more important issues).
* Poorly implemented AH (search parameters need a massive overhaul for example)
*HC invisible-mob deaths
* Poor game design (A Farming game where they nerf all but one possible farming method? nerfing any viable inferno builds so everyone runs the same spec in each class . . )
* Class imbalance, for example a geared barb struggles in A2+ Inferno whilst an undergeared DH can clear the whole game (I Levelled a Barb to 60 because I thought people were overstating the problem, however Barb is amazing and the most fun to end of A1 Inferno, then becomes unplayable. My 60 DH can clear everything with worse gear and is the toon i use to farm Inferno Whimsyshire).
* Preferential treatment for US players/forums (you might think this is subjective, however EU forums get less/no official interaction with the exception of copy+paste material, usually 2 days late. RMAH has been implemented in US, EU is still waiting, game was cheaper to buy in dollars etc etc).
* Lack of community *feel*
* No single player, offline version

Pretty sure I can think of a lot more, but im sure those will do for starters.

First, we are just talking about an idea we'd like to see in the future and not necessarily have it take priority. To make a few things clear:

*The servers will continually get better, its just a matter of time. I'm optimistic it will get better sooner rather than later.
*your complaint on the itemization is already being changed with the upcoming 1.3, and they can't change it too much or you would be getting better items with every drop, which doesn't make sense
*The spamming issue, check out what I posted here: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5812481578
*much of the hacking is blow out of proportion and more related on the fault of the user taking unnecessary steps to protect their security than it is blizzards fault. The theories about being hacked through public games and chats are not true.
* botting/duping/exploits really aren't much in the long run because those people will be banned. Blizzard is taking a strict aggressive stance on this matter. And rightfully so.
*AH is never taken down for too long and I'd rather have a developer fix a problem right when they see it.
*I cant say anything about Customer Service, haven't had to use it
*The forums might not seem like they are getting attention because you don't see many posts, but that doesn't mean they aren't watching and listening. The important posts still come when we truly need to know something
*I do agree the presentation of the AH menu and search systems could be refined further quite a bit
*what do you mean by HC Invisible Mob Deaths?
*On the poor design concerning farming can you be more specific? I believe there are more than one way to effectively farm certain things, you just need to be creative about it.
*People who base their theory that characters are unbalanced on how they play in Inferno just don't realize you need to adapt to the situation. Characters have strengths and weakness in different acts, and in Inferno you need to realize there are some enemy mobs you just aren't meant to fight but run from; its just based on that enchanted enemy/mobs strength versus your weakness. Also, in Inferno, concerning my comment on adapting: the mode is supposed to tax the player to the fullest, probably designed so you need to keep making drastic changes to your build concerning what skills an runes you are using, what equipment and gems you are using, and what followers you are using - and changing it not just for each act, but for every little quest.
*what do you mean by lack of community feel? That is incredibly vague.

Also, keep in mind this game just came out. Go look up how much Diablo 2 changed over the course of its patches and updates. The same will happen here, it will just better and better.
Reply Quote
i agree with the glowing banner concept !
Reply Quote
06/13/2012 12:20 PMPosted by Cruentus
First off, I feel there should be an Achievements Forum

Looking at the state of General Discussion, it seems people don't use the appropriate forum anyway. Why bother making more forums?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]