06/13/2012 02:05 PMPosted by Thades
Good feedback. We'll definitely the consider it.
It was an awesome idea in concept, but just didn't work out well in execution. We found that, while the base accents looked really cool in some places like the character screen and other menus, they were extremely difficult to see while you were actually in game -- which kind of defeated the point. We're going to be looking at additional ways for players to customize their banners and show off their accomplishments (ideally in ways that are visible while playing).
Unfortunately, I don't have any updates to share right now. I'll see if there's any further information I can glean today for you, though.
IMO, some other things you can do to customize your banner is add a head to the staff and customize the actual staff itself, being able to choose from side banners, a metal, fire, ice type of staff for the banner, maybe a gargoyle for the head ornament.
Posted by sirius89I really hope you didn't cut out the Crest rewards also for PvP when it gets added later on because they are really cool.
06/13/2012 04:47 PMPosted by STG...they were extremely difficult to see while you were actually in game -- which kind of defeated the point. We're going to be looking at additional ways for players to customize their banners and show off their accomplishments (ideally in ways that are visible while playing).
TBH I find this lack of recognition to be the case overall.
I use a very stark and simple design which is unique, easy to identify, and "works" for me, but most ppls' banners, I'm just like "what? I'm supposed to decode something from this? Impossible."
And even tho I think HC is broke to high heaven and will probably never play it again, I think HC achievers deserve their banner to have some kind of special properties that lend it relatively instant, unmistakable recognition.
[begin banner idea dump]
Misc customization ideas that come to mind, not necessarily HC only but whatever:
- I'll start with the simplest, surely most-easy-to-implement idea in this whole post: checkbox to "flip horizontal", for sigil and other graphics. maybe even "flip vertical". maybe even a transparency slider.
- I'm sure it has already been suggested, but glows or particle effects would be cool for some of the more lofty achievements. or whatever. Dripping blood effect like an inverse desecrator effect; arcane or electrical sparks; plague cloud; ethereal "wizard-eye"; etc.
- customizations to the pole, e.g. making it a trident/pitchfork; a gallows/gibbet; a scaffold of bones; for wizard, perhaps a levitating banner w/ no pole at all; a gnarled tree; a squire holding it (yes, he para-drops in!) ... for that matter, bound demons or other summons, or a pack animal, instead of a squire; shepherd's crook; stone pillar; etc.
- not sure if base modifications are off the table entirely, but some easy to recognize ones I can think of would be: pile of skulls (a given!); grave mound/marker; pile of treasure; rats' nest/pile of offal/corpses; instead of a base, make the pole disappear into an abyss in the ground; etc.; some dare-i-say-"gnomish" (for lack of a more succinct term, but of course keep it in the diablo art style) contraption (concept could be applied to pole as well), etc.
and hopefully it won't kibosh the whole thing, but it seems worth mentioning that, for whatever reason, very few ppl even use the banner. I use it more than anyone I've seen, and that's still rarely, and 50% of the time by accident or for utility reason such as in conjunction w/ a text chat: "treasure dropped here", when u are split up from your party to search or clear an area. which reminds me, I don't think the banner stays long enough.
afa using it as a taunt or boast, or just to stake a claim, I, myself have done this about once and have seen others do it zero. (hey guess I just have to practice and get in the habit.)
dare I even say.....? -- (sure, I dare, because I'm not some "pro" video game maker who has to have my creativity bound every step of the way by artifice, ostensibly in the name of "challenge", "balance", "consistency", "profit", etc.!!) -- elite achievements (or non elite ones) could imbue the banner with some kind of aura or other non-cosmetic effect. obviously something SUPER subtle/trivial and/or situational. originally I was thinking along the lines of a buff aura of microscopic, decimal magnitude, .........but we know even the slightest tangible effect would see ppl dropping banners constantly, and that would get silly (or you guys would put an artificial limit on how often ppl can drop the banner, which would just make us rant @ ur changes more .. heck, there probably is one already. dunno.) I also hesitate to suggest anything that would make D3 more of a "winners outs" club than it already is ... i.e. ppl who are already mean enough to beat inferno diablo, for example, get another buff -- however minor -- on top of that, for winning? there's enough of that kind of thing going on in the way of MF/GF. anyway, just brainstorming.
another thought that keeps popping into my head is that other players would hover or click on your banner, and somehow be able to see a micro-profile, like top 3 achievements (or 3 of the players choice), screenshots/short video/animation of critical moments (and perhaps certain moments in the game should have auto-record capability to help facilitate this.) would have to be done in a "gameplay-friendly" way so as not to interfere w/ play if a banner is dropped "in the field." the banner itself could become a visual "portal", thru which u scry these memorable events, at a quality level roughly on a par with that of a television set in "The Sims".
above is probably totally unworkable, but inspired the much more workable idea: hover to see a text quote, in ghostly or gilded text.
for that matter, animated sigil or other overlay graphics.
and of course "let users upload custom banner image" has probably already been discussed and discarded for obvious, not-entirely-technical reasons, but I'll just throw it out there. seems to be good fun in Valve games. :P
one final thought on the apparent lack of popularity of actually using the banner in the field: even if people never intentionally drop banners, the fact that they are so centrally-located, -visible, and -utilized in towns, if you give people cool "bling" (in the broadest sense) to put on their banners, other players WILL eventually start taking more note, as they begin to see cool stuff on others' banners, which they want to unlock for themselves.
[/end banner idea dump]
again: brainstorming. cutting it off here for now. TY GL HF.
P.S. it's been great fun but must disclaim: would much rather see a whole lot of work spent on tangible, gameplay/UI/content/service improvements rather than these trivial cosmetics. TY.
I think banner upgrades are still a neat idea, but thing lacking from the game is a reason to use it. If you could get the banner to show up on the map (even if it's just a dot) so people could track it down, that would be a good reason to use it. As someone else mentioned, you can mark a loot drop or point of interest so that the person can go there without stopping, casting town portal, asking who's banner to take, etc. Sure it doesn't seem useful to someone who is in town, but when everyone is out on the map, it can definitely be useful.
That being said, I also think that, again as someone else mentioned, the banners disappear too quickly. It would be nice if they stuck around until the person who dropped the banner presses the banner key again or drops another banner (same thing.) If they have to go away after a short period of time, you could add a feature where if someone opens there map and clicks on it, it is saved as a temporary waypoint and extends the amount of time the banner is visible by 60+ seconds. Don't want it too short, because they might run into a mob on the way there, only to find the waypoint gone by the time they're done clearing mobs.
Other than that, I'd still love to see those upgrades that were shown off at Blizzcon 2011.
Whilst its nice that you want to improve the game with an achievement forum/extra customisation of the banner, I cant help but feel like this should not even be considered until they (Blizzard) fix much more important things.
* Poor server performance (Lag, Rubber-banding, low capability at high loads)
* Poor itemisation (mainly level ranges such as getting lvl 45 items in A3 Inferno, poor legendaries/set itemisation)
*General chat goldselling spam (Theres currently no point staying in the channel, you cant hold a conversation with anyone)
*Hacking/Compromising of accounts
* AH being constantly bugged/abused/taken down
* Lack of ANY customer service
*Lack of ANY forum participation by official posters, specifically on EU forums (oddly, your minor improvement got a response over much more important issues).
* Poorly implemented AH (search parameters need a massive overhaul for example)
*HC invisible-mob deaths
* Poor game design (A Farming game where they nerf all but one possible farming method? nerfing any viable inferno builds so everyone runs the same spec in each class . . )
* Class imbalance, for example a geared barb struggles in A2+ Inferno whilst an undergeared DH can clear the whole game (I Levelled a Barb to 60 because I thought people were overstating the problem, however Barb is amazing and the most fun to end of A1 Inferno, then becomes unplayable. My 60 DH can clear everything with worse gear and is the toon i use to farm Inferno Whimsyshire).
* Preferential treatment for US players/forums (you might think this is subjective, however EU forums get less/no official interaction with the exception of copy+paste material, usually 2 days late. RMAH has been implemented in US, EU is still waiting, game was cheaper to buy in dollars etc etc).
* Lack of community *feel*
* No single player, offline version
Pretty sure I can think of a lot more, but im sure those will do for starters.
06/13/2012 12:20 PMPosted by CruentusFirst off, I feel there should be an Achievements Forum
Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.
Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.
Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.