Diablo® III

Archon Builds

Are they viable right now?

If yes, can anyone give me something to work with.

If no, state reasons why, and if it will ever be viable in the future.
Reply Quote
only for farming.

teleport archon + areate crater level 1 = infinite archon
Reply Quote
Glass Archon is amazing in multiplayer.

Balanced Archon does decently when you need to burn things down in single player.

Tank archon is amusing.

Archon as a spell isn't particularly popular because you lose your defenses in exchange for 1000% damage on a channeled spell. It can work, and I've seen users on stream in multplayer relying on a main tank to get full DPS out of it. The results are pretty spectacular, but other builds are more efficient and get used more.

It of course matters what kind of build you use. If you can already facetank act 3 inferno monsters for a couple hits archon is going to work well for you.
Reply Quote
Glass Archon is amazing in multiplayer.

Balanced Archon does decently when you need to burn things down in single player.

Tank archon is amusing.

Archon as a spell isn't particularly popular because you lose your defenses in exchange for 1000% damage on a channeled spell. It can work, and I've seen users on stream in multplayer relying on a main tank to get full DPS out of it. The results are pretty spectacular, but other builds are more efficient and get used more.

It of course matters what kind of build you use. If you can already facetank act 3 inferno monsters for a couple hits archon is going to work well for you.

Do you have links to those builds?

Also are you referring to the Venom Hydra/Blizzard (kiting) build when you say other builds
Reply Quote
coop, definitely

solo, doable, but increase your dps, and have survival skills. you will die here and there, but hey, who doesn't die in inferno?
Reply Quote

Do you have links to those builds?

Also are you referring to the Venom Hydra/Blizzard (kiting) build when you say other builds
Glass Archon builds are basicaly Wizards pretending to be DHs. Straight damage output in every slot. Works best when you have a tank.

Balanced builds are the tankier builds starting to show up lately. Genberally blizzard+VHydra is more efficient because of the way VHydra works. However you *can* use archin with VHydra out and get some respectable DPS.

I don't have build links, I've seen people run certain comps using archon for suplemental burn phases against bosses. But I didn't have any interest in looking them up. Tank Archon builds are hilarious by virtue of Archon Beam+LoH
Reply Quote
So do Archon attacks crit? Does CM work in Archon?
Reply Quote
definitly viable if you have a strong WD partner.
Reply Quote
06/13/2012 07:15 AMPosted by Kyzarius

Why WD?
Reply Quote
There are a few things that can help survivability with Archon. Get a high dps one-handed weapon and shield or a off-hand with life steal. Use ancient guardian. Energy Armor (I use prismatic but force is a good choice as well, depending on your resist).

Life steal gets an 80% reduction in inferno, and the proc rate isn't great per tic with Archon (20% I think), but if you're able to crank out high damage, it's a poor man's life on hit at the moment.

When I was able to afford a 1000k dps one-hand, I went with a shield as you get the block percentage plus additional damage reduction in archon form.

I'm beating my head against the wall against many elites in Act III, but I can say it's viable and I'm progressing. And my strategy is progressing as I progress to be less about pure damage and more about staying alive just one second longer while in Archon form.
Reply Quote
06/13/2012 07:01 AMPosted by xBaSiikz
So do Archon attacks crit? Does CM work in Archon?
The beam is chsanneled.

This means it should be DPS normalized, and therefore cannot *crit* but does benefit from crit and crit damage. That means it shouldn't proc CM

At least that's last I read about channeled spells.
Reply Quote
They crit and proc critical mass:

http://www.twitch.tv/torbjorn1895/b/319528069

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5151273430?page=1

Last part of the thread even tests archon beam.
Reply Quote
06/13/2012 07:22 AMPosted by xBaSiikz

Why WD?

For the CC. My wife plays WD, I play Wizard. She stops/fears/slows/tanks them, I vaporize them.
Reply Quote
So CM works, what about Arcane Dynamo?

06/13/2012 07:35 AMPosted by Demosthenes
Get a high dps one-handed weapon and shield or a off-hand with life steal. Use ancient guardian.

Wouldn't another stat be more viable?
Reply Quote
85 Troll Mage
Look for the Dushatar build. He also has links to videos and tips.
Reply Quote
Archon is definitely viable, you just need like 50k+ dps for it to be effective. Temporal Flux helps too.
Reply Quote
So CM works, what about Arcane Dynamo?

Get a high dps one-handed weapon and shield or a off-hand with life steal. Use ancient guardian.

Wouldn't another stat be more viable?

Yes, but life on hit is expensive. If you can afford it, by all means. But most consider the life steal a throwaway stat in inferno. It adds up.
Reply Quote
They crit and proc critical mass:

http://www.twitch.tv/torbjorn1895/b/319528069

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5151273430?page=1

Last part of the thread even tests archon beam.
That's good to know!
Reply Quote
i tried the dushatar build but I couldn't make it work. fully buffed I had 42k dps which I believe is pretty much the bare minimum he recommends using it with, so that might have been the prob. However, I believe the main problem is that I only have 10% bonus move speed. I think if I had max bonus move speed it would have worked better. Affixes like waller jailer and vortex that are pretty harmless by themselves with a build with teleport suddenly become death sentences for me. Maybe I rely on teleport too much but I find it hard to play without it now.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]