Diablo® III

Phone number considered VOIP, not valid

My legitimate mobile phone number is being considered a VOIP number(It's not) for the mobile alert so I can't use paypal on the RMAH. Any suggestions?
Edited by Jack#1440 on 6/12/2012 10:39 PM PDT
Reply Quote
"Voice-Over-IP (VOIP) numbers cannot be used for this service. Please enter a different mobile telephone number and try again."
Reply Quote
^
Reply Quote
easy answer. ur screwed.
Reply Quote
Thanks for that. Bump.
Reply Quote
^
Reply Quote
I'm having the same problem, need a resolution
Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
Jack,

The phone number on your account is coming up as a VOIP number and as such, can not be used for the SMS system.You may need to ask your carrier about this.

Here's a link where you can check your number.

http://www.searchbug.com/tools/landline-or-cellphone.aspx

When I check my number on that site, it's comes up as cellular (Verizon)
Reply Quote
My phone type comes up as cellular on the link you provided but I'm unable to use the SMS protector feature, still getting Voice over IP error
Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
Yusake,

The number on your Battle.net account is showing as a landline which won't work. You must have used another phone number then. As I can't ask for that in here and you should NOT post it, I'm afraid I'll have to recommend calling in and talking to our Billing department.

Billing representatives are on hand to take your call between 7am to 8pm Pacific Time, 7 days a week at 1-800-59-BLIZZARD (1-800-592-5499). Customers in Australia should call 1-800-041-378.

It needs to be a cellular number with a data plan.

I"m having the same issue. I've got an iphone 4S from Verizon. It comes up as Cellular Verizon on the searchbug link you provided, yet when I enter it, it keeps telling me it's a VO IP #. Which it is clearly not.
Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
There's really nothing I can do about these issues in here. It's nothing to do with your pc or the game client not running. You'll need to call in and see if our Billing Department can be of any assistance.

Billing representatives are on hand to take your call between 7am to 8pm Pacific Time, 7 days a week at 1-800-59-BLIZZARD (1-800-592-5499). Customers in Australia should call 1-800-041-378.
Reply Quote
wow....and if we call that 1-800-59-WAITFOREVER number, we can sit here for 40 minutes
Reply Quote
Yusake,

The number on your Battle.net account is showing as a landline which won't work. You must have used another phone number then. As I can't ask for that in here and you should NOT post it, I'm afraid I'll have to recommend calling in and talking to our Billing department.

It needs to be a cellular number with a data plan.

My account phone isn't the same as my cellphone. I do appreciate someone actually responding to my query though. I'll contact the billing department, thanks for the effort.
Reply Quote
DId this get resolved, I am having the same issue. iPhone 4S with ATT plan.
Reply Quote
Happening to me as well.

T-Mobile cell phone, small business plan. Definitely a cell phone. Definitely annoyed.

Worst part is? I was directed to this thread by a customer support representative without any additional support. While I'm glad to know I'm not the only one, I would have preferred a solution.

Also, is there a specific reason that VOIP phones 'won't work'? My phone receives SMS messages, and I imagine that most VOIP services facilitate SMS messaging anyways.

Last edit: This thread should be moved. I didn't realize this was technical support when I posted.
Edited by Toadkiller#1286 on 6/14/2012 4:41 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I too am having this issue. If I go to the link it says I have a VoIP number... It most definitely is a Blackberry using a standard mobile phone number... Any advice on how to resolve this?
Reply Quote
I'm having the same issue as those above system keeps telling me my number is not a valid number for the service and when I try to at least set it to battle.net RMAH it keeps jumping back to the SMS signup and won't let me enable the battle.net as a payment method. Honestly guys Paypal is used everywhere else without requiring an extra level of security I don't think it's necessary to add this complication which seems to be causing problems for people.

Just remove the SMS requirement. I have paypal setup as a valid payment method already. Just make it so only "Verified" Paypal accounts can be used. I mean if it can be used all day everyday on Ebay etc. and other major sites it should be good enough for Bliz. to use without requiring any extra complication.
Edited by Fenris#1458 on 6/14/2012 5:53 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Bump, would like an official response other than "call support lol"
Reply Quote
- Technical Support
View profile
For those wondering why you can't use "anonymous" phones like prepaid or VOIP I can give some insight. Note these are my OPINIONS only.

I see two reasons. One is security and the other is legal.

1. Joe Everygamer is just doing his thing. He does not care about RMAH and never heard about password reuse. He gets compromised. The criminals attach a mobile Auth to his account, attach a stolen paypal, and attach an anonymous phone. They then start flooding the AH with items at prices they control. They would do it with many accounts which would affect the economy as a whole. It would also be terrible for poor Joe Everygamer who now has a bunch of fraud charges on his account and is banned.

2. The RMAH is region limited and some countries do not allow it at all such as China. One way to ensure that anyone cashing out is in the proper region is to use a valid and real cell phone before real money can be earned. Speculation here..but there may be legal requirement for this to help verify regions and countries.

It means that people from countries where it is banned will want to steal accounts from areas where it is allowed. Having a legit phone with an active plan in that area at least slows them down.
Edited by MissCheetah#1661 on 6/14/2012 8:59 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]