Diablo® III

Punish people for listing at $250

94 Blood Elf Paladin
well when the idea was actually sold (the RMAH) it was stated that people would get a certain amount of free auctions per week, and then people would have to fork out cash to actually list an item. Obviously the idea has changed somewhat (based on the deal Blizzard set up with paypal) however it negatively effected the economy in doing so.

punishing people for listing inflated items would keep prices down, which all helps hyperinflation, which keeps the economy where it needs to be.

If no action is taken on this issue, then the economy will spiral out of control.

Yeah I also remember seeing that there would be a certain amount of "free" auctions before you had to actually pay a listing free (regardless if it sold). I think this is still necessary.
100 Undead Priest
I don't think they need to punish - I do think they need to add more filtering.

2 filters they desperately need are:

1 - Max buyout. For folks with deep pockets (either real or virtual), it can continue to show all the items. For folks with a budget, there is really no point in wading through a bunch of stuff you either can't or won't buy.

2 - Toggle 'With Buyout'. For folks who like to bid, they can leave it at a default to show all auctions. For folks who want to buy something now, not wait a day or so and see if they won, let them filter off auctions that don't include a buyout price.

These features would increase buyer participation in the AHs (IMHO), because buyers would be able to more easily find the auctions they are interested in. Sellers would have an incentive to price 'reasonably' in order to maintain visibility when people filter, and would have an additional reason to consider including a buyout price.
Blizzard Employee
If you really believe that's too high a price, Duane, you should absolutely not pay it. The market's going to be driven by demand -- not to sound like an economic scholar or anything :p -- and it'll probably be pretty unpredictable for a little while in the early stages of the RMAH release. But we really shouldn't be in the business of dictating what prices should be for things.

Your point about auction house clutter, however, is duly noted. I think a lot of that has more to do with our need to make some additional improvements to the auction house UI and search functionality.
Very good idea, if they are going to put up stupid prices, be ready to take the pain for the stupid prices.
i know some ppl here spamming that they just bought 100$ or 200$ items from RMAH when in fact they are the sellers of those items they just wanted to mass spam that its okay to buy those expensive items!

BE WISE don't buy overpriced items so the market economy stabilizes on fair price!
lower blizzard 15% fee to 5%
The AH is entirely player-driven. If some people want to buy weapons for $200+, other people will continue to sell weapons for $200+. It's up to the community to set prices, not Blizzard; they're just providing a place for the transactions to happen in.
I feel like if people are willing to pay that much then you should probably start taking advantage of it. The quickest way to get the prices to drop is to start competing with other sellers.
06/13/2012 12:10 AMPosted by moska
lower blizzard 15% fee to 5%

No. It's enough that we're actually able to play a game, farm pixels, and actually make any sort of $$$ from doing so. It should definitely stay the way it is now.
I don't even know why you made this thread, there will ALWAYS be items up for that price. Look at the AH on release day, things were up for 10,000,000+ and they were absolute crap. And anyone complaining about the 15% or asking/saying it should be lowered is hilarious, you're getting free actual money from playing a video game. You get the money for free, PLAYING A GAME.
Edited by Naumu#1479 on 6/13/2012 12:15 AM PDT
There should be some sort of class on the prices the one can post up. Example: u shouldn't be able to put selling price of $1000 for a blue item and waste space.
84 Troll Druid
There are people who will spend real life money on Farmville to the point of putting Zynga into the stock market.
People also spend US$25 for vanity mounts and pets in World of Warcraft that do absolutely nothing. At least the singing sunflower sings. Those things do absolutely NOTHING.

Spending money on items that DO have a use? Easy money. But it doesn't make it any less surprising. My goodness Kstyler, US$250 for a crossbow? What job do you have in real life?

Again, it's not about how much you earn, it's about how much you're willing to pay.

If people all spend money precisely correlating to their income level, the USA economy would not be in it's current state. Nor will the economy of the world for that matter.

Your point about auction house clutter, however, is duly noted. I think a lot of that has more to do with our need to make some additional improvements to the auction house UI and search functionality.

/agree with everything you said Zarhym. Please consider the OP's suggestions about the AH item clutter though... Some kind of deterrence to posting items at unreasonable prices (such as the OP's idea of a small deposit that gets refunded on sale, but lost if the timer expires) would be a wonderful idea.
I'd gladly spend 250 dollars on an item.

Assuming the game wasn't terrible designed with all items being the same except slightly higher stats and having the depth of a mud puddle in the Sahara.
If you really believe that's too high a price, Duane, you should absolutely not pay it. The market's going to be driven by demand -- not to sound like an economic scholar or anything :p -- and it'll probably be pretty unpredictable for a little while in the early stages of the RMAH release. But we really shouldn't be in the business of dictating what prices should be for things.

Thanks for the response. In most advanced economies you are right, demand drive prices, however there is always an initial outlay of costs in order to sell goods; that might be a shop front, education, advertisement employment etc.

Right now we have in D3 the equivalent of every man and their dog standing on the side of a street selling wares at prices that would make the 3rd world shed a tear. They are wasting everyone's time whom they try to sell to, and pay no price for failure, where in an advanced economy, failure is punished. This helps to normalise the economy, it happened in wow (listing fee) but not in D3. It is a critical failure of the Auction house, and I think that most people would agree that the AH is a critical part of the game (for better or for worse) and sadly it really does fail the game.

Additional search functionality is absolutely required (only being able to search for 3 stats is indeed a pain) but it doesnt fix the hyper inflation issue that will occur. when this does occur, new players will be so far behind the curve that they wont bother completing the game past normal, and then D3 spirals into obscurity.

Surely given the investment that blizzard hopes to gain from the game and the deal with the RMAH, it is in their interest to keep the economy stable.

But dictating prices is exactly what you ARE doing with the min/max and I'm pretty sure that violates US law.
06/13/2012 12:17 AMPosted by bluetaro
/agree with everything you said Zarhym. Please consider the OP's suggestions about the AH item clutter though... Some kind of deterrence to posting items at unreasonable prices (such as the OP's idea of a small deposit that gets refunded on sale, but lost if the timer expires) would be a wonderful idea.

Dont think it would work on RMAH it would just make it gambling rather then selling correct me if im wrong
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]