Diablo® III

Best Follower Defensive Stats (Beta)

Someone was asking about how to equip your follower for survival. Just thought I would open a thread for discussion. Here is what I have found with some quick testing.

Follower Bonuses to Stats:

Str/Dex/Int/Vit get x 2.5 bonus
Armor gets x 1 (x 1.15 for Enchantress)
All Resists get x 1
+ defense vs melee/range/elite (untested)
+ % HP (untested)

EHP Bonuses at base lvl 60 follower stats:

+1 Vit = +87.5 HP = +95 EHP
+1 Dex = +15 EHP
+1 Str = +5 EHP
+1 Int = +5 EHP
+1 Armor = +1.6 EHP (+1.9 for Enchantress)
+1 All Res = +16 EHP
+1% HP = +51 EHP (untested; assumed x 1 bonus)
+1% Melee/Ranged/Elite = +51 EHP vs that type (untested; assumed x 1 bonus)

Discussion:

At the base stats, followers get the biggest bonus with Vit. Armor looks like the worst, but of course one can buy +240 armor rings, where as all resists maxes out at +70 and +Vit maxes out around +180 (on rings). Dex looks like the next best, but it has a pretty steep fall-off. After adding only +20 dex it becomes more effective to add intelligence or strength.

Starting out the best stat is by far Vit... the bonus is just epic. But lets add +200 vit and +20 dex, and then see what happens.

EHP Bonuses after +200 Vit & +20 dex:

+1 Dex = +17.5 EHP
+1 Str = +20 EHP
+1 Int = +20 EHP
+1 Armor = +7.8 EHP (+9 for Enchantress)
+1 All Res = +78 EHP
+1% HP = +242 EHP (untested; assumed x 1 bonus)
+1% Melee/Ranged/Elite = +244 EHP vs that type (untested; assumed x 1 bonus)

After adding some vitality, the effectiveness of all the other stats has increased by quite a bit. Still, Vit looks like our best choice at the moment. Let's add another +200 Vit.

EHP Bonuses after +400 Vit & +20 dex:

+1 Dex = +32.5 EHP
+1 Str = +40 EHP
+1 Int = +35 EHP
+1 Armor = +13.6 EHP (+16.1 for Enchantress)
+1 All Res = +136 EHP
+1% HP = +433 EHP (untested; assumed x 1 bonus)
+1% Melee/Ranged/Elite = +437 EHP vs that type (untested; assumed x 1 bonus)

Again, everything else starts to jump up in effectiveness, but not really enough to matter. But if you can add another +200 Vit (+600 total), suddenly those other stats are going to look not too bad. Armor will jump to 19.6, which isn't bad if you are considering the +700-900 armor shields that Templars can wear. All resist will jump to 196, which puts in in a competitive range with Vit (well, it's better than Vit, but also comes in smaller amounts). And extra life will jump to +624 ehp, which starts to make it competitive (remember it comes in the smallest amounts of all).

------------------------------------more discussion----------------------------------

+block %?

Probably not at all important. Shields only block for about 1-4% of total damage of inferno hits when they block. This is pretty awesome for Monks/Barbs/Tank Doctors, since they stack huge damage reductions to the point that they are only taking a small % of the actual damage anyways (block is applied after these reductions). Your Templar will probably never get close to the damage reductions of these characters. Assuming that Templars don't have an innate 30% reduction (like Barbs/Monks), then block will be totally worthless. If he does get that bonus, then +block % will still only be a mediocre stat unless you are adding lots of +armor/str/res to him AND using skills that further reduce enemy damage (Bad Med / Resolve). Maybe a monk could boost the damage reduction enough to make +block worth it... but honestly, I doubt it would even be worth it then. So don't worry about block % on shields, prioritize vitality, armor, +% life.

Things I hope others can answer:

- Does Templar get a -30% damage reduction like Monk/Barb?

------------------------------Moral of the Story--------------------------

So the moral is that you should really prioritize vitality. Also a tiny bit of dex goes a long way. Once you've bumped Vit up as much as you can, you should probably move onto their damage stat. For Templar, a good shield with lots of armor should be a priority. But for rings and amulets, +Res All and +% life will be the better options over +armor (though vit then primary stat will be best of all).

And when all these bonuses are applied, the Templar's healing abilities will be fairly worthless to him. He'll have like 70k hp with no reduction behind it, so his heals and your heals will do very little for him, unless you heal on % (e.g. Big Bad Voodoo). For these same reasons, you shouldn't bother with any Life on Hit, Life Steal %, or Life after Kill stats. They won't have any defensive value once your follower has 70k HP.

And don't worry about block chance, as it shouldn't very much.

----------------------------Thanks------------------------------
Thanks to this damage calc: [a]http://rubensayshi.github.com/d3-ehp-calculator/#intro[/a]
Edited by Hepcat#1450 on 6/13/2012 4:10 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Did some more testing and came up with this tier system for stats for followers;

Tier 1 (try to get as much as possible on every item):
    + Vit
    + Main Stat (dex, str, or int depending on follower)
    + base weapon damage (on weapon)

Tier 2 (good stats, but don't sacrifice Tier 1 stats too much for these)
    +% life
    + Damage (on rings/ammys)
    + All Resists
    + Armor (on Templar shield only, for rings +All Resists will give better returns)
    + % attack speed
    + % stun/freeze/blind/immobilise/chill (on weapons, ordered best to worst)
    + % blind (ammys)
    + % damage reduction (against elite is probably best)

Tier 3 (not really important, but they are kind of nice)
    + crit %
    + % fear/slow
    + resists
    + mf/gf (I stack this gear on scoundrel and use him as mf/gf follower)
    - impairing effect duration

Tier 4 (they don't hurt, but they won't really do anything helpful)
    +% crit damage (because follower base crit rate is 0%)
    + Life on Hit/Kill (because followers have bad damage reduction and massive amounts of HP, making it inefficient for healing them)
    + % Life drain (same as before)
    + % block (because Templar has terrible damage reduction and % block is really only effective with high damage reduction)
    + run/walk (they keep up with you no matter what and this won't make them not stand on poison and die)
    + thorn damage (95% of mobs ignore followers. If they are hit by damage, it is probably because they happened to be between you and the monster.)
Edited by Hepcat#1450 on 6/13/2012 6:22 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Wondering about the thorns damage if anyone can confirm this. Since you can easily get some "attacker takes X damage" items for templar so he can start doing some more dps
Reply Quote
06/13/2012 04:54 AMPosted by uthzeros
Wondering about the thorns damage if anyone can confirm this. Since you can easily get some "attacker takes X damage" items for templar so he can start doing some more dps

I tested this out. Yes, thorn damage is applied to attackers. However, once I started using this, I noticed how little attackers were hitting my Templar. For every 20 times they would hit me, they would hit him 1 time. Even if I ran in circles, 10 would chase me and 1 might fight my Templar. You're better off buying him a high DPS weapon and layering as much STR as you can. This will out perform thornes in terms of damage output.

However, I'd like to hear from a DH or WZ about how much their Templar is getting hit.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warlock
So does life% get multiplied by 2.5 also?

Or I guess it technically doesn't, but does kinda because the Vitality it's modifying does?

06/13/2012 01:22 PMPosted by Hepcat

I tested this out. Yes, thorn damage is applied to attackers. However, once I started using this, I noticed how little attackers were hitting my Templar. For every 20 times they would hit me, they would hit him 1 time. Even if I ran in circles, 10 would chase me and 1 might fight my Templar. You're better off buying him a high DPS weapon and layering as much STR as you can. This will out perform thornes in terms of damage output.

However, I'd like to hear from a DH or WZ about how much their Templar is getting hit.

Is it possible Thorns changes the mobs AI so they attack the Templar less? If so putting some Thorns on your Enchantress might be awesome.
Edited by Demo#1212 on 6/18/2012 1:42 PM PDT
Reply Quote
06/13/2012 01:22 PMPosted by Hepcat

As a DH the only challenge is getting your Templar between you and the mobs. My Templar dies constantly.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]