Diablo® III

Activision kills another great company

(Locked)

We're Blizzard Entertainment. We're the development studio that designed this game and its business model. If you have any issues or concerns about how we make games, take them up with us in a civil, reasoned manner. Claiming some larger corporate entity is to blame without any tangible evidence just isn't constructive and has no merit.

These forums are here so we have a great resource for collecting player feedback and, when necessary, relaying design insight and important information back to the community. I hope you see why choosing to fabricate a narrative that explains any frustration you might be having with this game not only doesn't help us, but is counter productive for you too.

P.S. Please don't post thread titles in all caps. I've edited that for you. :)

this is how you bait blues out.
Only people that are QQ ing about stuff seem to be spoiled,hipster, emo know it alls. EVERY game has its pros and cons, this is a new game and its very popular, please dont try and spoil the fun by posting heresy and useless babble you "think" is true.
Oh yeah by the way GG Blizzard keep rocking on \m/ ~.^
06/12/2012 08:17 PMPosted by Zarhym
We're Blizzard Entertainment. We're the development studio that designed this game and its business model. If you have any issues or concerns about how we make games, take them up with us in a civil, reasoned manner. Claiming some larger corporate entity is to blame without any tangible evidence just isn't constructive and has no merit.

Straight talk ahead -- I'm not trying to be uncivil or dramatic, just blunt.

Is it a coincidence that you guys started going into full-tilt money-grubbing mode at the same time that you were acquired by one of the greediest corporations in the industry? Obviously this is a capitalist society and your business exists to make a profit, but it's certainly possible to run a profitable business without going overboard into nickel-and-dime mode.

I think when people say "Activision ruined Blizzard", they're not trying to insult you as a studio. If anything, they're trying to say that as a studio, on your own, you guys are awesome. We love your games, or at least want to love them. We love your design teams and your talent and the stories you tell. But some corporate fatcats half a world away with no interest in games or gaming (and dollar signs for eyes) seem to be mucking that all up, doing things like splitting SC2 into three games, selling more and more services you swore would never happen on WoW, and instituting what some may see as pay-to-win policies in Diablo 3. Is it a coincidence that right after this corporate merger you guys started trying to force real-ID on people? To drop LAN support for your whole catalog? To start initiating lawsuits and placing overly restrictive always-online DRM into your games?

Completely honestly, as a gamer, not as a Blizzard PR guy or a corporate mouthpiece, you must at least see where people are coming from when they come to the conclusion that corporate interests have tainted your studio's integrity. I know your job probably won't permit you to agree with this sentiment but all I'm asking is whether or not you can identify with the fact that some players may reasonably see things that way.

I partially do. I don't think Blizzard is 100% controlled by Bobby Kotick himself, but I think that at the end of the day, the investors and the guys in the fancy suits probably have more say in your development process than they did ten years ago. And that is a bad thing for gamers, because the guys in the fancy suits don't play video games.

/rant off

(I'm sure this post will probably just be deleted anyway.)

You want a civil, reasoned argument? OK.

Diablo 3 is a continuation of a very popular franchise. When you hear "Diablo 3", you expect something similar to Diablo 2. You expect some sort of continuation of that story and/or something at least similar in nature to the previous titles. Unfortunately, the current team that developed diablo 3 is not the same team that developed diablo 2. The feel of the game is completely gone.

A lot of the appeal of diablo 2 was the gear. People would literally grind for years to get certain items because they were that interesting and fun. It was never about getting a higher number on the stats page or dealing 10 more dmg or having 1000 more hp. It was all about the awesomeness of the item itself. Items had a lot more interesting things than just stats on them.

As much as you (Blizzard) hate to admit it, your items are boring. theres nothing wrong with random loot and the system you've created works. its very easy to get gear, sell it, and eventually buy the perfect item you need for whatever build u want. the problem is its not fun. there are no "fun" items to grind years for.

First off, legendaries. i refuse to beat a dead horse (simply because we've already beaten it to death so many times that you guys actually caved in to our demands and will change it in the future. just know that this was your first, and by far your LARGEST mistake in the game. do not make it again.

next is item affixes. there is simply no fun in stacking "% chance to XXX" gear. id love to get a dual wielding daggers barb and stack "% chance to deal dmg" gear or "% chance to summon a furry woodland creature to help kill things"

I think that one of the major problems with the current Blizzard is that it focuses so much on balance first, that you forgot how to have fun. numbers are easy to tweak and create balance. what really makes a game last for 12 years is not perfectly balanced classes and items. its how fun those items are.

TLDR: loosen up and have some fun with the items. I love excel spreadsheets as much as the next guy but i do not feel motivated to grind for a week straight just for 10 more stat points into the 2 or 3 stats im looking for. im looking for "fun" items, not spreadsheets
06/12/2012 08:36 PMPosted by WHISTLERDASH
I hope you see why choosing to fabricate a narrative that explains any frustration you might be having with this game not only doesn't help us, but is counter productive for you too.

I'm not frustrated with the game at all right now, personally. To be frustrated with the game, I'd actually have to be able to play. Not "Input limit reach"'d.

yea pretty much this at the moment
sorry but somethings very broken
90 Orc Death Knight

Clearly you don't actually play the game.

Clearly! No one could enjoy a game you don't! Have some perspective.

I hope you see why choosing to fabricate a narrative that explains any frustration you might be having with this game not only doesn't help us, but is counter productive for you too.

I guess you're right, I mean, people still play SWTOR right?

Oh sorry, you're probably too young to know about this sort of thing.

I'm well over 18 years old.

Your assumption is now invalid.

Do you wish to try again?

Whoa, well over 18.

FPS's more or less dominated the online gaming scene in the early 2000's. MMO's weren't played by nearly as many people, due to the time dedication required. E-sports were also born from Doom and Quake, which later exploded into what it is now when Counter Strike became popular.

I'm going to have to agree with him, I imagine you weren't old enough to notice, or care at the time. Now get off my lawn.
Community Manager

These forums are here so we have a great resource for collecting player feedback and, when necessary, relaying design insight and important information back to the community. I hope you see why choosing to fabricate a narrative that explains any frustration you might be having with this game not only doesn't help us, but is counter productive for you too.

P.S. Please don't post thread titles in all caps. I've edited that for you. :)

Okay Bashiok, I will sum it up for you: You guys sold out. You stopped making games for gamers, and started making "games" for money. Bobby Kotick is the devil and Diablo 3 sucks. There, I said it.

Wow. But to be fair, I'm not going to believe anyone who calls me Bashiok. :p
What I've learned through this whole debacle is not to ever buy a Blizzard game at release again. Blizzard now has the "Microsoft Windows Service Pack Syndrome"--never buy a new version of Windows until at least SP1. The product advertised is not the product we all received. Blizzard has lost my trust, and trust is very difficult to get back.

I don't expect most other gamers to have a mature perspective, though. Too many gamers are emotionally invested in games and game companies and can't see the big picture.
What Blizzard are making out the Auction House in this game will pale in comparison to the money they could have made by making great games with the consumer being the number one priority. In the long term.

You do not need to have a degree in business management to know this.
Dear Zarhym,

We, the players are disappointed in the quality of Diablo 3. It has fallen way below the expectations of many of us. The content is short and many core game elements such as a low level cap and introducing a legal real money influenced game play system has caused significant dissatisfaction. I believe that Activision and Vivendi has caused this decline, due to decision makers that are far higher than your pay grade making poor choices. The proof is in the pudding, evidence of the poor quality of Diablo 3 can be seen with the class action lawsuit that was filed and the overwhelming amount of complaints on your forums and other social media outlets.

Really none of us want any of this silly angry mob stuff, we just want a quality Blizzard game. In order for that to happen: quality > profit. Ironically poor quality will reduce profit. Return to your roots that made you guys thrive.

Sincerely, Blizzard gamer of 15 years (I played my first Blizzard game back in '96/'97)
06/12/2012 08:19 PMPosted by Thugologist
So what do you think about the extremely large amount of negative feedback Zarhym?

I can answer this one in two words. Vocal minority.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]