Diablo® III

Censorship of Criticism

(Locked)

I just thought I'd point this one out:

Guy (not me) starts a thread titled "If Blizzard Ran A Fire Department..."
----

911 Operator: Hello do you have an emergency?

Caller: Yes my house is on fire, please hurry!

911 Operator: I have dispatched the fire department. Should take no longer then three or four weeks. Until then, do you have some lawn furnature or a swing you can relax on until the firemen arrive?

Caller: Yeah I'm on, wait....what?

911 Operator: Well sir, if you do not have any kind of lawn furnature you can order some through our new Fire-Auction sales program. There you will find some great gifts while you wait.

Caller: If you guys hurry and put out my fire I won't need to sleep on my lawn. PLEASE HURRY!

911 Operator: Like I said you can expect the fire department to arrive within the next three to four weeks. Do you have a PayPal account sir?

911 Operator: SIR?

Inferno Act 2 anyone?

----

Blue POST Response: Flawless analogy! It doesn't seem very fitting for the forums though. Thanks!

(Thread Locked)

------------------------------

Granted it's blizzard's forums and they can do whatever they want but blocking criticism is not going to win them any brownie points with anyone. It even annoys those of us that actually believe in free speech.

Here's an idea Blizzard: Shut down the forums completely if you feel you need to block any criticism. It's better to not give people a common place to discuss things than come off looking so anti-free speech. We can just take our discussions to Reddit, somethingawful, even 4chan where no blizzard employee can protect their product and way of doing business from criticism.

On a side note, I like Diablo 3 and enjoy playing it. I do plan on buying the expansion too. I just can't stand to see unnecessary and self serving censorship as exemplified by what I just witnessed.
90 Orc Death Knight
Their are big brother. If somebody says something mean, they get banned. Forum Banned me for 24 hours and I didn't even say much. Especially not compared to most.
*yawn*

Hate mongering is new and exciting.
06/13/2012 05:30 PMPosted by null
BORRRRING Just like that locked thread.

Nice name. How soon after launch did you buy the game?
MVP - World of Warcraft
110 Gnome Warrior
They don't mind criticism.

They mind non-constructive criticism or violations of the forum rules.

It's quite possible to be critical on these forums. They actually welcome new ideas. However, the abundance of critical posts are either full of profanity or have the upshot of "I hate everything," which isn't constructive.

Tell them what you don't like. Tell them what you'd like instead. Refrain from 4-letter words. Your posts will last longer.
85 Tauren Druid
You can criticize constructively, while also following the rest of the rules in the forum code of conduct.
They don't mind criticism.

They mind non-constructive criticism or violations of the forum rules.

It's quite possible to be critical on these forums. They actually welcome new ideas. However, the abundance of critical posts are either full of profanity or have the upshot of "I hate everything," which isn't constructive.

Tell them what you don't like. Tell them what you'd like instead. Refrain from 4-letter words. Your posts will last longer.

That guy didn't use any of the words you mentioned. Whether it was constructive or not is a pretty subjective judgement.

I understand removing spam, threats and illegal activity but if there's a worry of anything beyond that including making a judgement about what's "constructive" or not, they're far better off not having forums at all.
MVP - World of Warcraft
110 Gnome Warrior
06/13/2012 05:34 PMPosted by Oldmanklc
Whether it was constructive or not is a pretty subjective judgement.

And Blizzard is the deciding party.

Zarhym decided it wasn't appropriate for a forum discussing Diablo. He gets to make that call.

We're here to discuss the game. That's the purpose of the forums. There is no free speech here. We agreed to certain rules and conditions to post here. Sidestepping them will likely result in moderation. It did in this particular case.

Please note that we're not allowed to make threads regarding moderation. If you wish to give feedback to the moderation staff, write to:

wowcmfeedback@blizzard.com (If I can stir up a diablo one, I'll start listing it... but for right now, this is what I've got.)
06/13/2012 05:32 PMPosted by Herbburglar
You can criticize constructively, while also following the rest of the rules in the forum code of conduct.

Maybe I'm not understanding completely what rule the poster broke? Or maybe the blue who blocked the original thread needs to re-read the code of conduct for himself? Enlighten me please.
Community Manager
Second verse, same as the first.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]